So what's YOUR favourite sitcom of all time?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anderton Prime
  • 36 comments
  • 1,435 views
Messages
2,760
For me, it's definitely Seinfeld, but I want to hear from all of you. What is your favourite sitcom ever produced? It doesn't have to be on the air anymore, or it can only have gonr through one season before getting nixed and you want to cry out against such an injustice. Anyway, the floor's open...
 
C-SPAN.

No really. It's Friends.

But actually, its C-SPAN.


M
 
Red Dwarf.

You can all pack the thread up now. I've won.
 
Simpsons with Gilligan's Island in a close second. Cheers would be a close third.
 
Coms:

1. South Park, no comment needed except that's it's healthy to **** through your mouth.

2. The Simpsons, although I gotten a bit bored of it nowadays..

3. And it's here I assume you mean Sitcoms.. Ray Romano's "Everybody loves Raymond".
 
You see, Famine, the interesting thing is that certain sitcoms are only funny in some countries. For instance, I watched an episode of Red Dwarf once, and when it was over I looked something like the guy in your Avatar (and no I don't know who he is, so there). The same goes for The Black Adder. I did love Mr. Bean (who doesn't) and am a big fan of everything Mony Python, though...
 
I can't belive it, but I now actually like Friends. Although it's mainly due to the BBC not showing the Simpsons anymore. But I must admit I am taking a liking to the show.

Eh, Red Dwarf i've seen it so much now it's not funny especially the newer stuff. I mean i'll watch it, but it's just not that funny anymore.

I choose two British sitcoms, one very old and the other new but the majority haven't heard of it anyway. Which are My family and Open all hours. Bah, i'll throw in Steptoe and son as well. I wish they'd re-run that for the 50 billionth time.
 
Red Dwarf, no contest.

@Famine: A Red Dwarf quiz thread might be quite amusing, but may not get much traffic, or perhaps, guess the episode from the quote. What do you think?
 
I can't believe nobody has said Seinfeld yet. I love that show.
 
Race Idiot
I can't belive it, but I now actually like Friends. Although it's mainly due to the BBC not showing the Simpsons anymore. But I must admit I am taking a liking to the show.

Eh, Red Dwarf i've seen it so much now it's not funny especially the newer stuff. I mean i'll watch it, but it's just not that funny anymore.

I choose two British sitcoms, one very old and the other new but the majority haven't heard of it anyway. Which are My family and Open all hours. Bah, i'll throw in Steptoe and son as well. I wish they'd re-run that for the 50 billionth time.

You're a smeeeeeee. You're a smeeeeeeee. You're a smeeeeeeeee heeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Anderton - the guy in my avatar is Chris Morris. Possibly the strangest mind to inhabit television. The avatar is a clip from his spoof news show "The Day Today". He also did a spoof current affairs show called "Brass Eye". Both played on minor celebrities' desire to be on TV no matter what, and had them spouting such nonsense they didn't even realise they were saying...

"Genetically, a paedophile has more in common with this crab than you or I. That's a scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it's a scientific fact."

That's to say nothing of Morris's Jam/Jaaaaaam.

The Red Dwarf you watched... Was it the American version, or the original BBC show? The American version loses a lot of what makes the BBC show - but I'm aware that Canada receives plenty of BBC programming.


DQuan: Hmm... :D
 
Raptor65
I can't believe nobody has said Seinfeld yet. I love that show.
Fifth word in the first post.

Back on subject...I have to throw Scrubs into the mix. My wife says it's more accurate than ER. :)
 
You've named off some good ones already. Here are some more.

Mad About You
Dick Van Dyke Show
Mary Tyler Moore Show
Cosby Show
Night Court
... ... drawing a blank.

Hey Anderton, care to edit the first post to include what people have listed? I wouldn't think it necessary to put the member's name next to their suggestion, just list what's been suggested.
 
Sopranos, Simpsons, family Guy, Friends, Joey (love it so far ), King Of Queens...( older episodes )
 
I don't really like any sitcome produced post 1980, unless it's a cartoon.

Gilligan's Island - for the chicks and the possibilities.
The Munsters - for it's campy theme-oriented gags. They crack me up.
All in the Family - for shedding humor on serious things.
The Brady Bunch - because I watched it every day for for a good five years whether it was a good show or not.

But my all time favorite is the Simpsons because it's satire, and satire is the best kind of comedy.
 
Wow dude, that's a pretty weak group for pre-80. Surely you can come up with a few better than that.
 
In order, favourite first :)

Blackadder
Family guy
Red dwarf
Fawtly towers
Only fools and horses


I would say The Simpsons, but i kind of got bored of it now.. :indiff:
 
My favorites are Friends and Married with children. I used to watch a lot of sitcoms, but I don´t have cable tv anymore. :(
 
I'll take anything without canned laughs in it. "Scrubs" is my top pick for now.
 
Famine
You're a smeeeeeee. You're a smeeeeeeee. You're a smeeeeeeeee heeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Anderton - the guy in my avatar is Chris Morris. Possibly the strangest mind to inhabit television. The avatar is a clip from his spoof news show "The Day Today". He also did a spoof current affairs show called "Brass Eye". Both played on minor celebrities' desire to be on TV no matter what, and had them spouting such nonsense they didn't even realise they were saying...

"Genetically, a paedophile has more in common with this crab than you or I. That's a scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it's a scientific fact."

Brass eye was hillarious. From what I remembe of it.
 
FatAssBR
My favorites are Friends and Married with children. I used to watch a lot of sitcoms, but I don´t have cable tv anymore. :(
I will admit I used to watch Married With Children religiously. My favourite part ever was one episode where Al is coasting into the garage with his old Dodge and he screams "No brakes, no BRAKES!" before crashing the car. But now that I think of it, that might have happened in a few episodes...

Oh, and what about the one where Al has a part of a song in his head and he only knows three notes, but he hears about this guy who works at a record store that can guess any song from just a few notes, so the family goes there and Al steps up to the counter and goes, "Da, da, DAAAA", and the guy has no idea.

The show had its moments. Especially Al's jokes about Marci.
 
Anderton
The show had its moments. Especially Al's jokes about Marci.
Yes, those were the best parts. Bud and Kelly(I think those are the names?) joking each other too.
 
Not to mention the fact that Katey Sagal (Peggy) IS Leela in Futurama.

BTW is Peggy Bundy's middle name really "Wanker"?
 
Futurama is a great show, but I never seem to be home when it's on and I'm too lazy to tape stuff off TV anymore.

One of my favourite things about Married With Children, having been a young adolescent male throughout much of the show's run, was being treated to Christina Applegate's tight shirts and erect nipples (can you say that on GTP?)...anyone else a fan of the no-bra look? :sly:
 
1. family Guy
2. Seinfeld
3. Simpsons
4. Futurama
5. South Park
 
Famine
Not to mention the fact that Katey Sagal (Peggy) IS Leela in Futurama.
I think she played Hyde´s mom on That 70´s show too, right? That is one of my favorite sitcoms too. I miss it, I miss they all... :indiff:

And who are the main actors in Family Guy? The name is familiar to me, but I can´t remember if I ever watched it.
 
Anderton
I will admit I used to watch Married With Children religiously. My favourite part ever was one episode where Al is coasting into the garage with his old Dodge and he screams "No brakes, no BRAKES!" before crashing the car. But now that I think of it, that might have happened in a few episodes...

Oh, and what about the one where Al has a part of a song in his head and he only knows three notes, but he hears about this guy who works at a record store that can guess any song from just a few notes, so the family goes there and Al steps up to the counter and goes, "Da, da, DAAAA", and the guy has no idea.

The show had its moments. Especially Al's jokes about Marci.
I remember that episode it was "Hmm, hmm, him. " The song was called "Go With Him" by some no-name '60s singer.

Married With Children was a great show, and I'll put it in my top five. Munsters and Night Court are great shows too. Yes, Peggy Bundy's maiden name was Wanker. "Peggy Wanker, no need to thank her."
 
Favourite sit-coms/ Well, in two groups (first UK tv then US tv);
  1. Fawlty Towers
  2. Blackadder Goes Forth
  3. Red Dwarf Series 4
  1. The Simpsons
  2. Frasier
  3. Cheers
Oh..I should add "Spaced" too. Maybe that is my favourite Sitcom of all! And, although not sitcoms The Day Today, Brass Eye and Jaaaaaaaaaaam were brilliant. Chris Morris is sorely missed!
Oh...and Third Rock from the Sun....well the first two series anyway.
Pretty disorganised list, eh?
 
TwinTurboJay
Here is the link to the cast of The Family Guy

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0182576/
Yes, I have seen it a few times, maybe five. It´s a good show, but it´s no Simpsons though.

The thing is that these "cartoon sitcoms" are dubbed to Portuguese here, because although the subject is mostly for teenagers and grown people, they´re still cartoons, so people judge it´s for kids. And I don´t like to watch dubbed comedy, because it loses most of the fun. Some jokes and idiomatic expressions can´t be translated correctly, and sometimes don´t make sense at all.

It´s like watching a Jim Carrey or a Chris Tucker´s movie dubbed, it´s just not funny.

I like watching movies and tv shows with subtitles, actually that´s how I´ve learned to speak english(badly :crazy: ). Family Guy must be much funnier on it´s original language. Maybe I´ll download a couple of episodes later.... :p
 
In this order...
1. South Park
2. Nip Tuck
3. CSI (the first one in Las Vegas)
 
Back