So who is picking up NASCAR 21: Ignition today?

• Thread starter Mercia
  • 50 comments
Oh, don't think that I'm trying to cut them any slack here. From what I've seen the release version is by all accounts worse than the early one they gave out to some YouTubers a couple weeks ago, and I was giving them the benefit of the doubt with the state of that by presuming "haha funny glitch videos will go viral". That the version they intend to sell for full price has even more problems is absolutely unacceptable, and makes it obvious that their ambition outstripped their ability on this.

And to your point, you're right that Cyberpunk set a new standard. Now it seems like the line of thought is that it's okay to push out a broken game, immediately trot out an apology letter image and "development roadmap" (aka the stuff we should have had figured out in beta 0.5) and ask people to please, please, just be patient and give us a little more time (and money, mostly money). And the only reason this seems to be considered okay is that Cyberpunk still made ridiculous profits despite the game being nearly unplayable at launch in some cases, and that apparently sent a strong message that people have lowered their standards so much that they'll buy a cat turd on just the promise that it'll turn into a gold bar in six months' time.
Agree, but this is a whole another league of bad.
So you think this game is worse than Cyberpunk was when it came out?
Based on my experience of both at launch on PC, yes it 100% is.

My initial question was around features the game has and if it's worth it to buy now, I've been watching some lets plays since launch and this thing is way way worse than I even thought.

The constant glitches and bugs in nearly every area of the game, right up to the direction buttons in the in game menu still controlling the camera in the background. The rear view mirror in cockpit has no textures or lines so it looks like cars are just floating in gray nothingness. The games takes control of your car under yellow but then doesn't tell you when you have control back again. Yellows are just a total joke in general..

No fuel gauge, no tire wear indicator, no mirror for anything outside of cockpit, realistic damage is cosmetic and makes no difference to performance, AI lines are horrendous and speeds are even worse, the whole field can be lapped on extreme without drafting.

Wow. I knew there would be problems but wow. People still clinging onto them fixing this stuff in just a few weeks or so have no idea the extent of the problems.

Let us know what's making you pick this up, what's it been like so far?

For those of us on the fence after seeing the preview material, what have you liked so far? Disliked so far?

Personally I'm interested in what they claim is "broadcast quality pre-race build up", from what I've seen so far this seems pretty outlandish, and also if there's anything extra to the career mode than the barebones experience we've seen in previews.

Online will go live as well of course, did they patch in private lobbies? Does it have a GTS style mode with official races you can join or like Heat where you can only join public lobbies other players make?
Thus far, this game has been an utter disappointment, I'm able to use my Logitech g923 steering wheel, however, it is not easy to control the race car and none of the steering wheel buttons work with the exception of the option button. Every time I pit, it takes me to the garage and given a tablet and then have to press X on my controller not the steering wheel, to see that old man and take me back to the track, and this is on a practice run. Still trying to find the right settings to effectively control the race car with my steering wheel. As far as I'm concern, Nascar Heat5 hit it out of the park. I'm so bummed that the creators of Nascar heat5 did not make Nascar ignition 21. So far, thumbs down....

And this probably could have all been avoided had they released a beta. Whateves
Or just done proper bug testing before even thinking about putting out a public beta, though looking at that massive list of things that should have been taken care of in alpha, I have a feeling they're using the in-built telemetry in Unreal Engine to have the playerbase be paying for the "privilege" of doing beta testing for them.

Let us know what's making you pick this up, what's it been like so far?

For those of us on the fence after seeing the preview material, what have you liked so far? Disliked so far?

Personally I'm interested in what they claim is "broadcast quality pre-race build up", from what I've seen so far this seems pretty outlandish, and also if there's anything extra to the career mode than the barebones experience we've seen in previews.

Online will go live as well of course, did they patch in private lobbies? Does it have a GTS style mode with official races you can join or like Heat where you can only join public lobbies other players make?
Man, this **** is unbelievable. 2 updates today and they somehow seem to have made it worse.

First It crashed for no reason 5 times in a row then the second patch seemed to have stopped that but the game is unplayable.

When you finally feel like you are making some progress and are able to turn laps in a race all the sudden the AI cars in front of you slam on the brakes for no reason and you run into the back of them or they suddenly jump like 100' ahead of you and you get rammed into the wall from behind by a car that wasn't even there a split second earlier.

Still nothing as far as wheel adjustment or button integration, this ******** Quick setup system is a complete joke for a game that claims to be the "evolution" of the genre. The overall interface of the start up menu is cheap looking and comparable to something from PS1 in the early 2000s and so are the graphics that are supposed to be so amazing, I feel like I'm playing an extremely ****** version of Thunder 2003.

Gave up on this and just played Tony Stewart All American Racing for a while. Somehow that $35 game is able to have a useable wheel interface, quality options for game play settings and, as a guy who has done some dirt racing, surprisingly realistic driving physics.

Sure, it lacks the pagentry some people are after and the AI has some issue, (though it's far better than Ignition), but I'll gladly trade that for quality on the track.

How can a $35 game be able to do all these things while this $120 game that's "redefining Nascar games" can't get even the simplest things right?

If this is how the genre is being "redefined" I think I'd prefer it to stay the same.

Sorry, lol, kind of went off on a rant there put this has really pissed me off, the first time in my life I've actually been angry because of how disappointing a video game is, haha.

I don't even really care about the $120 buck, it's the principle of the thing that has me so upset, this is like me telling someone I'll build them their dream home and then handing them the keys to a crack shack after I got paid, unacceptable.

Look into the launch and the short term possibility of fixes with one of QA guys from Slightly Mad Studios

"Refund the game if you don't like it. Don't sit around and wait for these guys who are just trying to manipulate you, trying to gaslight you into thinking the situation isn't as bad as it quite clearly is at this point"

How do you refund a PS store downloaded pre-order?

If that is possible I will most certainly do it.

Gave up on this and just played Tony Stewart All American Racing for a while. Somehow that $35 game is able to have a useable wheel interface, quality options for game play settings and, as a guy who has done some dirt racing, surprisingly realistic driving physics.
Have a rant, mate, you've paid for it 👍

I have Tony's Sprint Car game and it is a blast to play with friends! Competent, polished product at a budget price, can't go wrong with them at all. Craps all over this mess for sure.

Have a rant, mate, you've paid for it 👍

I have Tony's Sprint Car game and it is a blast to play with friends! Competent, polished product at a budget price, can't go wrong with them at all. Craps all over this mess for sure.
Yeah, I have that one too, a lot of fun to play but All American Dirt definitely improved on it, except for no Sprint Cars, and SRX improved on it a little bit more, I got all 3 for less than this and it was money well spent.

Yeah, I have that one too, a lot of fun to play but All American Dirt definitely improved on it, except for no Sprint Cars, and SRX improved on it a little bit more, I got all 3 for less than this and it was money well spent.
Both SRX: The Game and Heat 5 are far better, far more complete products than Ignition. I ran two races in Heat 5 last night after more frustration with Ignition and they have everything it's missing. Stage racing, tyre and fuel monitors, working mirrors, AI that works and a spotter than works, fully functioning wheel with button mapping, but most of all it didn't crash out every five minutes and was actually fun.

Right now (and I suspect permanently) both SRX and Heat 5 are far, far better recommendations for Oval racing than Ignition.

Both SRX: The Game and Heat 5 are far better, far more complete products than Ignition. I ran two races in Heat 5 last night after more frustration with Ignition and they have everything it's missing. Stage racing, tyre and fuel monitors, working mirrors, AI that works and a spotter than works, fully functioning wheel with button mapping, but most of all it didn't crash out every five minutes and was actually fun.

Right now (and I suspect permanently) both SRX and Heat 5 are far, far better recommendations for Oval racing than Ignition.
I don't disagree. Heat has minor issues that seem easily fixable.

Cars being perfectly fine after ridiculous wrecks and that dumb rivalry system that makes it almost unplayable after a while in career mode cause no matter what you do you can never seem to end the rivalry and the AI drivers will give up a win to wreck you.

But all in all its a very good game, the ignition physics actually feel pretty decent as far as how heavy the wheel feels, (it's a work out), so add that to the Heat fixes as well, haha. But it's so overly sensitive with the steering and the useless buttons are a joke.

I honestly didn't even know they had to do something in the programing for the wheels to work properly, I just kind of thought they were like any other controller as far as buttons are concerned, never had an issue before in any other driving game.

My initial question was around features the game has and if it's worth it to buy now, I've been watching some lets plays since launch and this thing is way way worse than I even thought.

The constant glitches and bugs in nearly every area of the game, right up to the direction buttons in the in game menu still controlling the camera in the background. The rear view mirror in cockpit has no textures or lines so it looks like cars are just floating in gray nothingness. The games takes control of your car under yellow but then doesn't tell you when you have control back again. Yellows are just a total joke in general..

No fuel gauge, no tire wear indicator, no mirror for anything outside of cockpit, realistic damage is cosmetic and makes no difference to performance, AI lines are horrendous and speeds are even worse, the whole field can be lapped on extreme without drafting.

Wow. I knew there would be problems but wow. People still clinging onto them fixing this stuff in just a few weeks or so have no idea the extent of the problems.
What the hell, what system does it have a rear view in cockpit view on?

Cockpit is the only view I use and on PS4 there's no rearview.

Watching peoples streams they have a mirror in cockpit view, so this must be only available on PC.

Which is ridiculous.
Oh okay, I get it now.

Yeah dude, that's ********.

Watching peoples streams they have a mirror in cockpit view, so this must be only available on PC.

Which is ridiculous.
Honestly Nascar should be pissed about this too since a big part of this games marketing strategy was how it had so much adjustability built in to make it accessable to everyone and attract new fans to the sport.

Anyone who plays this as there introduction to Nascar racing is going to be very turned off and will never bother tuning into an actual race.

Oh, and I'm also yet to see these "3 additional playable Nascar legendary champions" or all these additional paint schemes I was promised, although those weren't really big selling points for me it does add to the feeling of frustration.

The only other game that is anywhere near as disappointing as this is Cars 3 but that was my own fault for buying a year old game without reading any reviews thinking it would just be an improved version of the previous game but I got it for $20 so I didn't really care.

This one feels like a told scam and I'm not sure how they can get away with selling a product that is nothing like what was promised.

No other industry I'm aware of can put out an unfinished false representation of a product without any repercussions.

Which is ridiculous.
I can confirm (and you can see in my video) that the PC version does have a rear-view mirror in cockpit mode. It's utter rubbish however as its without shadows, low-res and low texture, so the cars look like they are floating on a grey mess.

Screenshot 2021-10-28 120335.png

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if this game can even manage to top the last 2 Heat games when it comes to player numbers on Steam. Currently the high is 306 which beats Heat 1-3 but falls short of 5's 407 and 4's 919. It was hyped to hell so I have to imagine even with it's terrible launch it will beat 5 by the end of the weekend, but topping that 919 may be a stretch for now at least.

It will be interesting to see if this game can even manage to top the last 2 Heat games when it comes to player numbers on Steam. Currently the high is 306 which beats Heat 1-3 but falls short of 5's 407 and 4's 919. It was hyped to hell so I have to imagine even with it's terrible launch it will beat 5 by the end of the weekend, but topping that 919 may be a stretch for now at least.
Do player numbers include people actually playing and enjoying said game?

Back