Soccer-Mom Showdown: Crowning the Queen of the Mini-Van/MPV Hill

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 144 comments
  • 8,369 views
YSSMAN
I'm sure that will be banned from California and Mass as well.

Maybe not - those standard do not exclude ALL diesels, to my knowledge, it's just that all of the diesels currently on sale cross the pollution threshold and are therefore excluded. It's certainly possible to build a diesel clean enough to be sold in California, New York, Massachusetts, Wherever, and Who Cares.
 
Well, I for one care about Diesel power. I would dare to say that it is the powerplant in which every American should be able to consider with a new automobile, and it is rather sad that it only now has caught on before the rather silly law goes into effect next year.
 
Damn hippies. You would think they would like Diesel power, but I guess it's too "dirty" despite the fact you could run it on corn oil practically for free.
 
It doesn't matter, there are probably about seven new car dealers in those two states combined. And six of them are in Maine. Do note that you CAN buy and sell "banned" diesel cars freely on the used market in any one of these states, including California and New York. And you can always buy a new one out-of-state and bring it in. It's not exactly hard to get around these marginally strict state laws.
 
YSSMAN
Damn hippies. You would think they would like Diesel power, but I guess it's too "dirty" despite the fact you could run it on corn oil practically for free.
Or, for a more ironic experience, hemp oil. It's far from "practically for free," but hey, it's a hippie driving.
 
actually you CANNOT buy a new diesel car and import it into california unless it is at least 90 days old. (from first registration.)

but you are absolutely correct that i can just go to nevada or arizona and buy a used one there, or buy one new, register it, park it somewhere then bring it here. you tehcnically could just drive it here (california) straight from the dealer as soon as you get your registration papers from out of state and tell em its only just been brought in when your 90 days are up and they wouldnt know.

at least thats how i understand the wording to mean.
 
YSSMAN
Damn hippies. You would think they would like Diesel power, but I guess it's too "dirty" despite the fact you could run it on corn oil practically for free.

remember they are banned for their tailpipe emissions, not the type of fuel they use.
 
neanderthal
actually you CANNOT buy a new diesel car and import it into california unless it is at least 90 days old. (from first registration.)

...
at least thats how i understand the wording to mean.

Indeed - and essentially, if you were determined to have a diesel, that 90 days thing isn't about to stand in your way. However it's unquestionably a hindrance.
 
So... do we have a winner in this showdown?
 
So are you a Soccer Mom or a Minivan?
 
ultrabeat
So... do we have a winner in this showdown?


Dunno. Opening shots seem to point twards either the Odessey, Espace or Mazda 5 as good choises.
 
I bet it sucks to play Monopoly against you.
 
ultrabeat
I bet it sucks to play Monopoly against you.

Yeah, it really sucks. Usually we get out the game, distribute all the money, pick our pieces, roll to see who goes first and then... whoops! Time to put the game away. I win again!
 
Winner would have to be the Oddysey, by default... it's the only one available in nearly all markets... and nearly everyone likes it. (compared to the alternatives, that is...)
 
I suppose the win would have to go to the Oddysey, as most folks agree that it is one of the best even if it isn't their best-pick overall.

Thus, I declare the Honda the winner!

Any more debates, or shal we have a "[/thread]"?
 
I vote for the Espace. We don't get the Honda over here, so the Espace is still the best in my opinion. (Sorry to bump, i've been trying out a few MPVs recently)
 
Espace. Best MPV evAr!
 
Yeah I'd go with Espace too.

GilesGuthrie
Correct. Mine arrives 13th Sept.

Colour and spec please Mr. Guthrie!
 
ultrabeat
Yeah I'd go with Espace too.

Colour and spec please Mr. Guthrie!

Grande Espace Initiale. 2.0 dCi (175bhp, Euro IV FAP). Metallic Pearl Black with extra tinted windows. Pimp-spec, in other words. Carbon leather (although I would call it ash, not carbon). Plus the panoramic glass roof.
 
Tasteful choice 👍

Although you might need to work that DCi hard when fully laden.
Please keep us informed of how that turns out.
 
Back