Some issues with AC7XBOne 

I'm trying it out on gamepass and while it can be fun, there are some issues that bother me:

* No FOV adjustment? The cockpit's way too zoomed in.
* Little sense of speed. The terrain movement in reference to the plane's speed never feels right. Feels slow and looks like you're flooring it on helicopter with the speed capped at 250 km/h rather than a jet going faster than the speed of sound!
* jet engine effects could have been louder and more prominent - explosions are loud and satisfying but your own jet engine isn't.
* Avionics and physics are all over the place

Your thoughts on AC7? I think it has potential but most of it is wasted in arcade silliness rather than making you feel like a true pilot on the edge.

I tried it on Gamepass completed a few levels but soon got bored, it's not for me. That's the great thing about game pass though gets you trying games you would never consider, sometimes you are pleasantly surprised, like Hitman, I can't put it down.

I'm trying it out on gamepass and while it can be fun, there are some issues that bother me:

* Little sense of speed. The terrain movement in reference to the plane's speed never feels right. Feels slow and looks like you're flooring it on helicopter with the speed capped at 250 km/h rather than a jet going faster than the speed of sound!
* jet engine effects could have been louder and more prominent - explosions are loud and satisfying but your own jet engine isn't.

Your thoughts on AC7? I think it has potential but most of it is wasted in arcade silliness rather than making you feel like a true pilot on the edge.
Hopefully the ssds in new gen will help with sensation of speed with loading of detail and textures being so fast.

Ace Combat has always been about arcade silliness from the start. I say this as a long time Ace Combat player and fan of the series. If one wants realism you go play DCS lol...
Also the sense of speed is pretty accurate, actually...

Ace Combat has always been about arcade silliness from the start. I say this as a long time Ace Combat player and fan of the series. If one wants realism you go play DCS lol...
Also the sense of speed is pretty accurate, actually...

How do you figure that? You're hardly 500 feet above the ground and the altimeter indicates 1500 feet - while the speed is in excess of 1000 knots (blazing fast in real life and not taking into account g-forces just the visual reference) but the terrain's moving like you're going max throttle in a helicopter. It never feels fast no matter what your height or speed. I think the FOV may be to partially blame for it.

Also, I understand it's an arcade game but the ballistics are just stupid. Are these toy missiles you're carrying? They hardly ever lock on!

Thanks GP for letting me try this out, but it's going to the trash bin m'fraid.

DCS actually has a great sense of speed - too bad there's no support for X-One.

Hopefully the ssds in new gen will help with sensation of speed with loading of detail and textures being so fast.

SSD or HDD has got nothing to do with the sensation of speed - I actually have no problems whatsoever with the textures even though the reviews mentioned of pop ups. I barely noticed them.

My issue is with the terrain itself moving along as if I'm going half the speed of what I'm actually going. Pushing past the speed of sound should feel like it, right?

The immersion is off - I'm thinking it's the FOV as it feels too zoomed in on the terrain - an FOV adjustment should correct the sense of speed. Plus, certain effects would also help but mehh. I'm deleting it. When I was in my late teens, the Ace Combat games seemed like fun, now it just feels silly and corny.

Also, I understand it's an arcade game but the ballistics are just stupid. Are these toy missiles you're carrying? They hardly ever lock on!
That's your concern when you're carrying dozens of them in some kind of subspace pocket inside the plane, firing them in close-range dogfights with rogue drones? :P

This is a franchise about melodramatic wars to topple sci-fi superweapons fought between elite superhuman pilots on a made-up planet, involving conspicuous blind spots and tunnel runs for gameplay purposes. No. It's not a simulator. :lol:

Sounds like you piled into playing an Ace Combat game without doing your due diligence ;)

Ace Combat has always been this way - it's a fun arcade shooter with an extremely dodgy story line and even dodgier acting, and because it takes place in an alternate universe the physics are different (OK, non existent) ;)

It's a shame you have it on Xbox as on the PS4 it's VR compatible for 3 special missions, and they are a wild ride in VR.

How do you figure that? You're hardly 500 feet above the ground and the altimeter indicates 1500 feet - while the speed is in excess of 1000 knots (blazing fast in real life and not taking into account g-forces just the visual reference) but the terrain's moving like you're going max throttle in a helicopter. It never feels fast no matter what your height or speed. I think the FOV may be to partially blame for it.

Thanks GP for letting me try this out, but it's going to the trash bin m'fraid.

DCS actually has a great sense of speed - too bad there's no support for X-One.

SSD or HDD has got nothing to do with the sensation of speed - I actually have no problems whatsoever with the textures even though the reviews mentioned of pop ups. I barely noticed them.

My issue is with the terrain itself moving along as if I'm going half the speed of what I'm actually going. Pushing past the speed of sound should feel like it, right?

The immersion is off - I'm thinking it's the FOV as it feels too zoomed in on the terrain - an FOV adjustment should correct the sense of speed. Plus, certain effects would also help but mehh. I'm deleting it. When I was in my late teens, the Ace Combat games seemed like fun, now it just feels silly and corny.
Because I have been in the cockpit of a jet during a 200+ knot, 200 ft pass down a runway. AC7's sense of speed may not be perfect, but it is close enough. I do agree it could use adjustable FOV, but then many games could use that...

That's your concern when you're carrying dozens of them in some kind of subspace pocket inside the plane, firing them in close-range dogfights with rogue drones? :P

This is a franchise about melodramatic wars to topple sci-fi superweapons fought between elite superhuman pilots on a made-up planet, involving conspicuous blind spots and tunnel runs for gameplay purposes. No. It's not a simulator. :lol:

Sure, it's no sim. It's a little too gameplay focused I think - a little realism wouldn't kill it.

Sounds like you piled into playing an Ace Combat game without doing your due diligence ;)

Ace Combat has always been this way - it's a fun arcade shooter with an extremely dodgy story line and even dodgier acting, and because it takes place in an alternate universe the physics are different (OK, non existent) ;)

It's a shame you have it on Xbox as on the PS4 it's VR compatible for 3 special missions, and they are a wild ride in VR.

No shame at all, I could care less for VR - that stuff is only for the purists. Although I have seen VR vids of AC7 - pretty sick stuff. 👍

Because I have been in the cockpit of a jet during a 200+ knot, 200 ft pass down a runway. AC7's sense of speed may not be perfect, but it is close enough. I do agree it could use adjustable FOV, but then many games could use that...

Okay, try going close to the speed of sound and then compare it to AC7. At 800+ knots in the game, it feels like you're just crossing 200+ knots. It's just not believable but I think the way terrain is laid out and FOV especially has something to do with it.

Either way, not convincing and takes away from the thrill of going full throttle in a combat jet. :D:banghead:

All in all, the game can be fun but I don't understand why it's so hard for missles to lock on or so easy to evade them without even popping flares/chaff. Speaking of which, just 5? And 75+ missles?! :crazy::rolleyes::lol::lol:

Sure, it's no sim. It's a little too gameplay focused I think - a little realism wouldn't kill it.
Okay, try going close to the speed of sound and then compare it to AC7. At 800+ knots in the game, it feels like you're just crossing 200+ knots. It's just not believable but I think the way terrain is laid out and FOV especially has something to do with it.

Either way, not convincing and takes away from the thrill of going full throttle in a combat jet. :D:banghead:

All in all, the game can be fun but I don't understand why it's so hard for missles to lock on or so easy to evade them without even popping flares/chaff. Speaking of which, just 5? And 75+ missles?! :crazy::rolleyes::lol::lol:
I can say for certain 800 knots in AC7 feels a heck of a lot faster than 200 knots IRL, even with the FOV issues.
And every AC has had high missile counts with relatively poor missile tracking (to varying degrees). Its just a thing for that series. Flares are sorta a new thing, though I don't even bother with them.

Oh, I didn't know all that about the previous games.

Ok, cool. Can't have it all I suppose. I wonder if we're going to see DCS on the Series X after (hopefully) the success of MS Flight Simulator. @Venom800tt

The problem with ac7 to me is that it is again ace combat 5 (the worst entry). Childish dialogue with childish characters; war is bad, etc.

The engine sound yes it sucks. If you don't have a 5.1 or 7.1 and use stereo, the engine noise is very low. PC lazy port is lazy. We no longer have adjustable parameters for the eengine sound or anything else.

The fov ain't adjustable, but it'd like it to make the image more narrow and see everything closer; not the other way around as many want.

Then we have again the problem with the autopilot that began, again with ac5, but it was adressed in The Belkan War onward.

The AI is also stupid once more when that had been fixed in Zero.

For me it's been a dissapointment after so many years. I keep on playing ac3 japanese version (best ac probably along with Belkan War) and Zero even to this day. Sometimes I fire up ac7 just because it is the latest, but when I get its AC5 vibes It just make me vomit.

The Belkan War was a true love letter to the gaming world. And that Spanish OST..., glorious.

The problem with ac7 to me is that it is again ace combat 5 (the worst entry). Childish dialogue with childish characters; war is bad, etc.

The engine sound yes it sucks. If you don't have a 5.1 or 7.1 and use stereo, the engine noise is very low. PC lazy port is lazy. We no longer have adjustable parameters for the eengine sound or anything else.

The fov ain't adjustable, but it'd like it to make the image more narrow and see everything closer; not the other way around as many want.

Then we have again the problem with the autopilot that began, again with ac5, but it was adressed in The Belkan War onward.

The AI is also stupid once more when that had been fixed in Zero.

For me it's been a dissapointment after so many years. I keep on playing ac3 japanese version (best ac probably along with Belkan War) and Zero even to this day. Sometimes I fire up ac7 just because it is the latest, but when I get its AC5 vibes It just make me vomit.

The Belkan War was a true love letter to the gaming world. And that Spanish OST..., glorious.

Hmm, I think I played AC maybe on the PS2 once, and then maaaybe on the X360, not sure. But yeah, the story is lame, so is the AI - and the way they have depicted military jets, air combat, physics, etc. really bothers me. It feels like a cheap Japanese anime where the planes are characters rather than supersonic machines of warfare.

Oh well, MS Flight Simulator is coming to Xbox One - with any luck, maybe DCS will too.

Hmm, I think I played AC maybe on the PS2 once, and then maaaybe on the X360, not sure. But yeah, the story is lame, so is the AI - and the way they have depicted military jets, air combat, physics, etc. really bothers me. It feels like a cheap Japanese anime where the planes are characters rather than supersonic machines of warfare.

Oh well, MS Flight Simulator is coming to Xbox One - with any luck, maybe DCS will too.
That's exactly what AC is: anime with jets
This is the goal of AC series since the first Air Combat: FUN

This isn't meant to be realistic or hard. It's meant to give you one of the best soundtracks ever know to mankind with a smooth gameplay.
It gives you the power to play the missions at your own way. Dogfighting Su-57s with A-10s, destroying a whole naval fleet with rockets or going full ham in a F104, without worrying about g-forces, against F-22s.

I feel like you missed the whole point of Ace Combat. The series is full of epic music, cutscenes and the plot about the most successful and powerful country in the history of Strangeral: Belka!

Seriously. AC has it's own gameplay style. This style is what make us love all games in the series. You have plenty of good sim flight games out there, modern and "classic": DCS, Flight Simulator, IL-2, Rise of Flight...
But you know how many good arcade flight games we have? Yeah... There's only Ace Combat out there with a full SP campaign. Ace Combat is a unique game. There's no other arcade flight game that feels good to the eye and mind like AC.

As a niche game, we were this close to not getting AC7 at all. I highly recommend reading this: https://twinfinite.net/2019/03/ace-combat-7-heartfelt-story/

So AC7 might not be the best, but there's a good reason for that. In Ace Combat Zero we had simple things as a sonic boom. Well, we don't have that in AC7. But it's not because the devs forgot about it. It's because the team, Project Aces, already had a tight budget to work with. The more you think about the whole process of AC7 devolpment, the more you will realize how great this game is.
Still, it's a good game when you turn off your "realistic intuitions". You got dive in the series as somone who doesn't care about how many missiles you can carry.

I can understand how someone used to sim flight games can't really enjoy Ace Combat, but the game is FAR from the failure you're saying it is.

^He misunderstood me anyway. I said ace combat 5 sucks, and thus ac7 since it is another damn time trial game with the most childish characters and dialogue lines ever, like ac5.

The rest of the ace combat games, specially the japanese version of Electrosphere, AC4 and specially The Belkan War were a letter of love to the gaming world, not to mentionthe quality osts contained in those three (and ac2 as well, pure Top Gun Vibes).

Ace Combat series has been one of the best things to happen to gaming regardless it is arcade. And remember the japanese version of ac3 wasn't that aracde at all..., just for those who tend to forget this game, and also those who couldn't play it. Plane physics very pretty hardcore in that instalment, and dodging missiles was so hard and fun (as opposed to the rest of the games) that I usually allowed myself to be launched a missile (perfectly centered, which was the hardest one to avoid) just to see whether I could avoid it or not, and when I could it was one of the best feelings ever in a game (and in all ace combat games).

And the exclusive ace combat game, ac6, was one of the most fun out of all due to the big battlefields; no stupid timers ala ac5/7 to ruin your fun as you engage all enemies in the whole map, and more. Sadly, story was meh, and characters were again kinda childish (not to the levels of ac5 and 7). It had also those hitboxes with the machinegun, whihc was fun as long as you were the shooter, but not that fun when the AI machinegunned you.

And the final ost track of ac6 kind rivaled that of The Belkan War. The two crowning themes in the series. AC7 final track is also good too btw.

Ace Combat lame?, no way

AC5 was only one of the best received games in the franchise ever. I think you are in the minority on that one. I never played AC6 but wasnt that story just as cheesy with a girl mentioning angels the entire time?

AC5 to me was one of if not thee best AC game due to gameplay and mission variety. Zero comes close but it has nowhere near the amount of missions. AC4 was pretty boring as almost all the missions are go out and get the high score within this amount of time.

That's exactly what AC is: anime with jets
This is the goal of AC series since the first Air Combat: FUN

This isn't meant to be realistic or hard. It's meant to give you one of the best soundtracks ever know to mankind with a smooth gameplay.
It gives you the power to play the missions at your own way. Dogfighting Su-57s with A-10s, destroying a whole naval fleet with rockets or going full ham in a F104, without worrying about g-forces, against F-22s.

I feel like you missed the whole point of Ace Combat. The series is full of epic music, cutscenes and the plot about the most successful and powerful country in the history of Strangeral: Belka!

Seriously. AC has it's own gameplay style. This style is what make us love all games in the series. You have plenty of good sim flight games out there, modern and "classic": DCS, Flight Simulator, IL-2, Rise of Flight...
But you know how many good arcade flight games we have? Yeah... There's only Ace Combat out there with a full SP campaign. Ace Combat is a unique game. There's no other arcade flight game that feels good to the eye and mind like AC.

As a niche game, we were this close to not getting AC7 at all. I highly recommend reading this: https://twinfinite.net/2019/03/ace-combat-7-heartfelt-story/

So AC7 might not be the best, but there's a good reason for that. In Ace Combat Zero we had simple things as a sonic boom. Well, we don't have that in AC7. But it's not because the devs forgot about it. It's because the team, Project Aces, already had a tight budget to work with. The more you think about the whole process of AC7 devolpment, the more you will realize how great this game is.
Still, it's a good game when you turn off your "realistic intuitions". You got dive in the series as somone who doesn't care about how many missiles you can carry.

I can understand how someone used to sim flight games can't really enjoy Ace Combat, but the game is FAR from the failure you're saying it is.

Well, it's probably not for me then - as I grew up playing combat flight sims on Mac and PC - AC7 just made me cringe, although it's a beautiful game to look at and can be fun.

When I was in my early teens, I enjoyed the heck outta After Burner at the arcades though. But that was then. I hope DCS comes to Xbox One along with MS Flight Simulator!

Back