Some questions about entry level wheels

• Thread starter foofiemoon
  • 5 comments
United States
United States
1. Logitech Driving Force GT, G25, G27, G29. Are these all similar in driving quality? Or are the later models significant upgrades? I just purchased a Drivehub (scheduled to arrive on Friday). So if the older wheels are almost as good, could get them at cheap prices used and still work with the PS4.
2. Are those Logitech wheels significantly better than the Xbox 360 wireless steering wheel? Or do you need to go with a Thrustmaster or Fanatec to get a decent upgrade over the 360 wheel?
3. For people using a Logitech wheel from above in Gran Turismo Sport or F1 2019/2020. Are all of the buttons needed to enjoy the game? The Drivehub will allow me to use the 360 wheel in those games. But I wonder if the games will be less enjoyable due to a lack of buttons. For instance, I tried F1 2019 PC recently using the 360 wheel and could not figure out a way to set a button to look back for cars behind you. Not without deleting some other important game button command anyway.

1. Logitech Driving Force GT, G25, G27, G29. Are these all similar in driving quality? Or are the later models significant upgrades? I just purchased a Drivehub (scheduled to arrive on Friday). So if the older wheels are almost as good, could get them at cheap prices used and still work with the PS4.
2. Are those Logitech wheels significantly better than the Xbox 360 wireless steering wheel? Or do you need to go with a Thrustmaster or Fanatec to get a decent upgrade over the 360 wheel?
3. For people using a Logitech wheel from above in Gran Turismo Sport or F1 2019/2020. Are all of the buttons needed to enjoy the game? The Drivehub will allow me to use the 360 wheel in those games. But I wonder if the games will be less enjoyable due to a lack of buttons. For instance, I tried F1 2019 PC recently using the 360 wheel and could not figure out a way to set a button to look back for cars behind you. Not without deleting some other important game button command anyway.

1. DFGT is a step below G25/27/29. More significantly, the stock pedals are very poor for DFGT (plastic, weak resistance, no clutch). Personally (and I'm biased here because of ownership) I'd go with G25 because you also get a switchable shifter. Unless you want more buttons on the wheel (see point 3 below).
2. Can't say because never tried X360, but from a quick google it seems to only have 270 degree so any of the Logi wheels are a definite improvement with 900 degree rotation.
3. I'd say yes if you want to maximise the game. GT Sport especially it's a big advantage to be able to switch brake balance, fuel map, etc in the race. I imagine F1 is similar with its DRS/hybrid systems. In this regard, the G29 is superior because of the rotary dials. But because G29 works natively with PS4, your Drivehub purchase is kinda wasted here. It's up to you really.

Thanks for the reply, legend. This may sound corny but I am so happy that Collective Minds released the Drivehub that supporting them with the purchase them is a way of saying thanks. Even if I upgrade the steering wheel in the future I plan to keep the Drivehub. Drivehub to me is a terrific goodwill gesture to gamers who bought expensive steering wheels and previously were forced to switch to a new wheel with a new console.

For now I am trying to manage the button situation on the PC side by assigning keyboard keys for games like F1 2015. On PS4, I wonder if it is possible to assign extra commands to a second PS4 controller. I believe the G27 has 14 buttons vs just 6 on the 360 wheel, that is the challenge. And checking craigslist for cheap used wheels. G25 used looks like the best bang for the buck: some low prices and of course the Drivehub and PS4 capability.

PS4 supports keyboards also so you just need to confirm if the game you want to play supports them also. I use a USB number pad as my button box on Project Cars 2 for example.

Ive had both G25 and G29.

For me they feelt exactly the same. But the G29 has the advantage of many more buttons, so id take that any day.

Honestly though. I am looking to upgrade to a Fanatec. I have never tryed Fanatec belt drive but I think its much better compared to the Logitech gear system.

Logitech are cheap, and may offer good value for the money if you can find a new G29 for like 200-250 $ ( I would not pay more than that for a logitech new one)

But the logitech it feels kinda cheap platic, its noisy, and the brake pedal is absurdly hard because of a rubber insert in there.

The main problem with Fanatec, besides its more expensive, is that you will need a much more solid rig to mount it on.

This is what holding me back now as I only use the Playseat challenge wich is a very good and perfect match for Logitech, but I dont think its stable enough for a fanatec setup.

Ive had both G25 and G29.

For me they feelt exactly the same. But the G29 has the advantage of many more buttons, so id take that any day.

Honestly though. I am looking to upgrade to a Fanatec. I have never tryed Fanatec belt drive but I think its much better compared to the Logitech gear system.

Logitech are cheap, and may offer good value for the money if you can find a new G29 for like 200-250 $ ( I would not pay more than that for a logitech new one)

But the logitech it feels kinda cheap platic, its noisy, and the brake pedal is absurdly hard because of a rubber insert in there.

The main problem with Fanatec, besides its more expensive, is that you will need a much more solid rig to mount it on.

This is what holding me back now as I only use the Playseat challenge wich is a very good and perfect match for Logitech, but I dont think its stable enough for a fanatec setup.
I can tell you from experience when I upgraded from G29 to CSL wheelbase, V3i pedals and shifter. I made do by mounting them on my Playseat (circa 2010). It worked fine for a long time (a year or more). But eventually I did upgrade to an RSeat S1. Now that I look back on that; I love the adjustability of sliding the pedals and the seat but it’s still not rigid enough for the wheelbase [for my liking]. 6Nm is low compared to 20 or 25, where I plan to go.

Back