Some technical questions I had regarding decal placement...

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 2 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
Both of these questions pertain to the placement of decals on the rear wings of some vehicles:

-On cars with a multi-tiered rear wing (e.g. the Nissan GT-R Gr.B), how do I place a decal only on the top tier, and not accidentally have it be placed on the bottom tier as well? I tried fiddling with the depth & angle metrics and I can't seem to figure out a set of values that solves this issue.

-Similarly, how would I ideally place a decal on the underside of an especially sloped rear wing, so that a decal could be seen by players behind me? Some cars have this on their default liveries, and I'd imagine that using the "align with surface" option would be ideal here, but I can't seem to get a decal to the underside of the rear wing when starting from the three default angles (i.e. roof, left, and right).

I can help with the second one.

Switch to "align with camera". Place decal on top with default camera angle. Increase angle to 10 and flip horizontally. It will now be on the underside and you can adjust as needed. But place a plain color decal on top to cover the now reverse decal.

-On cars with a multi-tiered rear wing (e.g. the Nissan GT-R Gr.B), how do I place a decal only on the top tier, and not accidentally have it be placed on the bottom tier as well? I tried fiddling with the depth & angle metrics and I can't seem to figure out a set of values that solves this issue.

For the multi-wings there is usually a depht which is needed to « reach » each of the surfaces.
1D905F0F-3807-4ADF-985D-56724BCFFA85.png

If you want to add a sponsor on the plate number 1 only, set it with a depht of -3 (just random values, you need to test on the real car).

If you want to add sponsors on plate number 3, a different on plate number 2 and nothing on plate number 1 :
- Place sponsor 3 with a depht of +3. It will reach the third plate (and all the others, too)
- Place a plain color square decal above it with a depht of 0. It will cover the wing except the third plate.
- Place sponsor 2 with a depht of 0.
- Place again a plain square with a depht of -3, which will cover the first plate and let the other visible.

-Similarly, how would I ideally place a decal on the underside of an especially sloped rear wing, so that a decal could be seen by players behind me? Some cars have this on their default liveries, and I'd imagine that using the "align with surface" option would be ideal here, but I can't seem to get a decal to the underside of the rear wing when starting from the three default angles (i.e. roof, left, and right).

@DesertPenguin method works well, but on some cars you can also use the « align with camera », then set the camera to the rear and at the lowest position (just like an opponent view) and add the decal from this angle.

That way you don’t have to use the plain colour decal. The drawback of the « plain-colour-decal » technique is that you can’t have carbon or special colours wings.

Back