Some thoughts on original courses, especially those not in GT Sport yet.

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 35 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
There are some factors to consider for these circuits:
-Some courses set in real places but with fantasy layouts could have entirely new layouts, as the actual landscape of the locale may have changed since one of the older layouts appeared. For example, newer buildings in New York City would be a highly likely factor if the NYC city course returns from GT4. I wonder if this is also why Rome had its layout changed when it re-appeared in the PS3 era? (Similarly, could this also be why Eiger Nordwand appeared, as a modern successor to GT2's Grindelwald? In another vein, perhaps Kyoto Driving Park was meant to replace the Driving Park locale from GT4, or Special Stage Route X being a replacement for the Test Course?)

-The courses that debuted on certain systems were likely designed to occupy a certain number of cars. The potential elephant in the room is that the courses that initially appeared before the PS3-era could only hold six cars. (Similarly, I am unsure if there's a discrepancy in how many cars can appear on a course in GT5 & GT6, versus GT Sport.) These courses may require either a radical re-design to best occupy more vehicles, or may have a hard cap on how many cars can be fielded. Alternatively, I wonder if these courses could still stick around, but maybe if they appeared in Sport Mode with a higher number of players, it'd be ideal to have them feature a slower type of vehicle, to make things a bit less chaotic? I'm note sure if something like High Speed Ring or Autumn Ring Mini would be best with a ton of super-powerful cars in Sport Mode, though I'd certainly allow the option within lobbies for the ambitious.

-I'm also wondering, realistically, if one could integrate older track layouts as optional layouts alongside their newer iterations, not dissimilar to how the real-world circuits like Monza or Fuji may have older versions? The courses that come to mind include locales like Rome, and it does seem like it'd be a somewhat simple matter of blocking off different roads. But even I'm not entirely sure about this. I also wonder about if one could "stitch-together" original circuits set in a similar area, creating some sort of "patchwork circuit," which could be applied to both Grindelwald and the Eiger Nordwand locales, or to the various Special Stage/Clubman layouts.

-As another thought, I unfortunately have doubts that we'll see the return of circuits based in a more general locale but without being based on a very specific real-world area. For example, the various original courses from the PS2-era that are stated to be based in a real place, but not a specific part of it, such as the Swiss Alps course. I think this is both a good thing and a bad thing, as it does add immersion to the otherwise original layouts (just look at all the flavor text for some of the courses!), even if I'll personally miss the actual layouts. After all, I think the dirt courses for Eiger Nordwand are arguably a replacement for the Swiss Alps course. I wonder if similarly, the Tokyo Expressway courses were meant to replace the Clubman/Special Stage courses, as well? Now, if only we could have an equivalent for the Tahiti Circuit/Maze....

-Finally, there's the courses that were meant for only two vehicles in GT4, such as George V Paris. I think the layout itself could be scrapped, but the locale can be kept. This way, PD can use the area which likely may've changed since it was last used, and can craft a new layout that may be better for racing. But if they were to keep similarly-narrow paths, I could see these courses being turned into point-to-point rally stages, alternatively.

If PD says it takes 6 months to get a car into the game I can only imagine how long a track into the game, and probably doubly so since most of the classic GT tracks in 6 were "standard models" compared to Bathurst and Nurburgring.

I think they'll come in due time but everyone just needs a drop of patience and chill. I don't see a lack of evidence as evidence in and of itself in this case.

They're seemingly paralysed by scanning real world locations for make believe tracks, or trying to upgrade past circuits (we have heard of the possibility of Deep Forest for months). A track generator takes minutes to generate tracks, surely a new circuit can be generated and polished for release within a month while they work on other content.

Last edited:
Lago Maggiore and Dragon Trail are terrific circuits and have alternative configurations, which for the most part, are nearly as enjoyable. Kyoto is good fun too but I wouldn't put it on quite the same level. Yamagiwa is a nice challenging circuit.

Circuit de san Croix is somewhere I do enjoy a lot. It does have that Track Generator vibe and the environment is devoid of atmosphere, even for a GT location, but the circuit is technical and works particularly well with Gr.1 and Gr.2 cars.

I don't share the same intense dislike for Alsace as many here do. It's not bad but I don't think anything over Gr.4 suits it.

They're seemingly paralysed by scanning real world locations for make believe tracks, or trying to upgrade past circuits (we have heard of the possibility of Deep Forest for months). A track generator takes minutes to generate tracks, surely a new circuit can be generated and polished for release within a month while they work on other content.

True! But IIRC the wider environment from the track generator was VERY bland and boring. Not sure how long it would take to add a more in depth wider environment with buildings, greenery etc.

I feel like I'm stuck in the past when I say the standard of the PD original tracks in GT5/6 were well above my graphical expectations being in FHD and close enough to 60 fps. Midfield looked amazing and was a great gift half way thru the life of the game.

At this point I would be happy with a straight port of GT6 original track assets straight into GT Sport.

The track generator built some very ordinary looking tracks but I forgive it for everything it did.

Why do they need tracks from previous games in this game anyways, fanservice?

I would love to see some classic real world tracks. Like Hockenheim or Imola. I remember some great 500cc GP motorcycle races at both.

Grand valley speedway, deep forest, midfield, apricot, and high speed ring are all GT staples. It's a bit hard to imagine why they're not in GTSport. Those tracks would look amazing in this game.

Grand valley speedway, deep forest, midfield, apricot, and high speed ring are all GT staples. It's a bit hard to imagine why they're not in GTSport. Those tracks would look amazing in this game.

Please don't forget Trial Mountain! Now, according to this video, based in Scotland.... plenty of Trial Mountain runs on youtube, but this one is fine :cheers:

Having posted what I have above, I would like to comment that while some of my old faves are missing, some of the new ones are going to be great, once I get the hang of them. Things move on.....

I miss the original Top Gear track. And show. :(

I really wanted to know if I could beat Tom Cruise.

AS for grid count, there are 30 cars on Lago Maggiore, in the Mission race. Tsukuba and Northern Isle could hold that amount.

All previous GT tracks, even the Driving Park locations, look like they can hold 30 cars. If there doubts to short tracks just set Custom Races to Grid Start and see how deep the grid looks.

If we do get them, we might finally get to know which countries PD has based them in, since every original track in GT Sport now explicitly states which country it's based in.
According to GT2 Deep Forest is in Germany, Midfield Raceway is in Japan, and Trial Mountain is in the UK.

According to GT2 Deep Forest is in Germany, Midfield Raceway is in Japan, and Trial Mountain is in the UK.

Also someone did a study on the feasibility of Apricot Hill and found its topography to mach up really closely with south eastern Ohio. I don't think that's where they'd put it given the choice but it's neat none the less.

That just leaves High Speed Ring, Autumn Ring and Grand Valley without any clues as to where they are situated. Although I can remember way back someone on here speculated that HSR could be set in the Netherlands.

Tracks like Seattle and Cape Ring would be interesting cases for GTS with their... jump... y... nature. Cape Ring could easily get some adjustments since it's entirely fictional, it's a little harder to modify the topography of Seattle. Seattle would be particularly cool to see with up-to-date scenery, as the layouts of GT's past never changed from GT2's version, and a lot of it's route doesn't even exist anymore.

Street circuits in general would add some new variety to Sport, right now Tokyo really only provides high speed highway routes.

Tracks like Seattle and Cape Ring would be interesting cases for GTS with their... jump... y... nature. Cape Ring could easily get some adjustments since it's entirely fictional, it's a little harder to modify the topography of Seattle. Seattle would be particularly cool to see with up-to-date scenery, as the layouts of GT's past never changed from GT2's version, and a lot of it's route doesn't even exist anymore.

Street circuits in general would add some new variety to Sport, right now Tokyo really only provides high speed highway routes.
Going over those tracks would be interesting and the "chicane" at the underpass.

Back