Sony Drops Another Hint at Gran Turismo 7 Release Date, But It's Still TBC

I personally think we are looking at around this time next year.

GT Sport is still a fantastic game, and I still enjoy it. It has a great community and still super busy online

All I hope for whilst we wait for GT7 is an enhancement to GT Sport, perhaps push it to 120fps and what I am really hoping for is for them to flick the switch and enable full VR support throughout the game. That would be incredible.

Whilst I agree with what people are saying regarding 'don't give a release date so we can't be disappointed', I would much rather they gave us a vague date - like "Early 2021" or "2020" for example, so we have a ballpark. Don't commit to an exact date until the discs start being pressed etc.

This section of the blog piece is so carefully worded:
Headphone audio is the current gold standard for 3D Audio on PS5, as Mark Cerny mentioned in his “Road to PS5” talk in March. We’re also in the process of working on virtual surround sound through speakers that are built into TVs. Although TV speaker virtual surround sound won’t be available on launch day for PS5, it’s still a feature we are extremely excited about, and our engineers are hard at work on bringing it to PS5 in the future.

In the meantime, I’m happy to say that you’ll be able to enjoy the PS5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech through your compatible headphones in many PS5 games. Some of the PS5 games with 3D Audio features include Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered, Astro’s Playroom, Gran Turismo 7, Returnal, Destruction AllStars, Demon’s Souls, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Horizon Forbidden West, Resident Evil Village, and many others.
First up, it states that GT7 has 3D audio features. That's a confirmed feature, which implies that this portion of the game's development as complete as the other titles mentioned (again, five of them are launch day titles; two are launch window-ish, and one is 2021, which is technically still in the range of the first three months) - which itself suggests that the game's development is as far along as those titles. There are other possibilities too; it could simply be the case that PD has no choice in developing this feature, so it'll be in the game regardless of the current development state.

Secondly we have a timeframe concept here. Sony won't have TV surround sound working with Tempest at launch, but in the meantime you can enjoy it with your headphones, and here's a list of games which use Tempest. That implies that these games will all be available between the PS5 launch day and the update that brings TV surround sound compatibility to PS5. We don't know when the latter point in time is - it could be the heat death of the universe - but it seems to imply that the launch dates of all of these games is known and it's before then.

But the last thing I've bolded above is the full stop. That separates the previous statement - you can enjoy Tempest with your headphones in the meantime - from the following one about what games support it. This means you cannot directly link the list of games with the timeline of "in the meantime".

I have found it curious just how much Sony is bringing up GT7 in these blog posts, and how prominently it features on the site (and that first games stream) without any specific new information on the game since June. It's like it wants you to think it's coming but, as I say in the article, it could just be the case that it's a big name to hang these blog posts off.

And in case anyone thinks I have any inside information, I don't know if GT7 is an intended launch title or not. It seems less likely as the days bleed away, but I hope it is - not least for GTP's news section :lol:

My opinion is they're afraid of a delay that would ruin the hype towards GT7, plus PD likes to surprise the fans (-> I love this 2nd version more however it's less likely lol). This is my opinion why they haven't gave us an exact date yet :D

(Edit: I love the article and cannot wait the announcement of any aspects of this game, finally!)

Last edited:
Is it just me or does this “TV surround sound” seem like a gimmick?

Like it is just another feature they can use to promote the PS5 for those that don’t use headphones or a sound system, but in reality doesn’t provide much enhancement for the end user.
For example, my TV supports Dolby Atmos but good luck with that when the speakers are all facing the floor.

Last edited:
Whenever Sony decides to release GT7 is of no concern for to (?) me. I'm not getting a PS5 until I'm 100% sure that there will be a PSVR2.

There is of course nothing concrete here, and we are rapidly approaching the PS5’s launch — in five weeks — with no information on GT7 at all since June

Which very much fits in with PD's culture of obfuscation. The article's attempt at reading the tea leaves is as good an attempt as anyone can make at this but also keep in mind that the marketing people writing the blog post likely only have Sony's preferred release window to go by. They likely don't have any insider info as to the actual progress towards publication, either. Basically, this article tells us that Sony would like GT7 to be released sooner rather than later.

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
Calculate how long it takes to make 1200+ premium cars with perfect interiors, engine sounds and realistic handling on each vehicle.

Depends on how many people are working on it. We already have confirmation that PD is outsourcing at least some of the modeling.

IIRC, PSN magazine had it listed for release within 6 months of the PS5. Are they priviledge to information not commonly known or is it a guess ?

I don't really see Sony promoting it much this side of Christmas, there would be no point, but they could start an offensive with this (and other games) going in to 2021 - especially if it will release end of Q1 or Q2.

To expect 1200 cars is daft, if I recall when GT Sport was released I seem to remember Kaz suggesting it'd get up to 500 cars eventually, which they haven't. I wouldn't expect any more than that in GT7, especially at release. I hope that they follow the Sport model and add cars/tracks semi-regularly.

Last edited:
IIRC, PSN magazine had it listed for release within 6 months of the PS5.
The UK's Official PlayStation Magazine said "launch window". Nobody's quite sure what that means, but I'd expect it to be the first three months (corresponding to a quarter) on sale - so before February 19.
Are they priviledge to information not commonly known or is it a guess ?
Neither. OPSM isn't a PlayStation magazine from PlayStation, it's a publication licensed by PlayStation and published by Future, in Bath, with the same writers as you'll find on other Future mags. Anything they publish isn't "official" in application - as in information from Sony/PlayStation - and, aside from having slightly better chances of speaking to executives than the average unlicensed PS magazine, they don't have any particular enhanced access or information.

Chances are it's an estimate from what information the writers and journos have been able to gather, rather than a straight-up guess.

But then it wouldn't be GT7, just another Sports update.
That makes no sense. How would 450 cars equal GTS update?

Your expectations are too high if you assume there will be 1200 cars. That means the outsourcing would have to be working on exactly 108 cars at one time to meet a game total of 1200 in two years. Given how GTS updates have gone, they're actually working on roughly anywhere between 10-20 cars at a time.

Last edited:
That makes no sense. How would 450 cars equal GTS update?
He means that 450 isn't enough for GT7. Around 200 extra cars were added to GT6, so getting an extra 112 cars would be a bit of letdown. 538 would be a better car count.

Considering GT7 is a first party game, and one of the biggest first party franchises on the PlayStation format, it's understandable it would be included in the list of games when attempting to generate buzz for a first party peripheral.
I'm pretty confident GT7 will be out sooner than most expect, I'd say Q2 2021.

GT7 is unlikely to feature that many. Realistic number would be about 450.
450 would be too few though. I’d say around 600 or 700. The sudden sharp increase can be attributed to Polyphony’s recent outsourcing.

Last edited:
450 would be too few though. I’d say around 600 or 700. The sudden sharp increase can be attributed to Polyphony’s recent outsourcing.

Why too few ? in the old days a high car count was a bit of a badge of pride and we ended up with dozens of minor variations of the same car, completely pointless.

I'd rather they went with a decent number and then added more over time, so new cars as they appear can be added.

Kinda beyond me how they keep milking the initial reveal content like this. Silence would almost be better because it makes it seem like development isn’t making substantial progress and PR is bored.
I'm seeing all kind of posts like this. Chaz Mostert posted one of himself years ago and today.

Back