Sony Explores Bringing PlayStation Exclusives (like Gran Turismo) to PC

While the PC market is ever changing. Currently only 3-4% of PC gamers are using 2060-2080 level cards. Which are comparable to PS5’s GPU. That’s without factoring in CPU’s, SSD’s, and other customisations, which are essential to eliminating bottlenecks. Dedicated games machines always punch above their weight.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Console gaming raises the baseline for game development. Current gen games are being designed around 7+ year old hardware. When PS5 hits the market top end PC’s will outperform it. At least on paper. But it will take many years for the bulk of the PC gaming community to get anywhere near next-gen console performance levels.

I say all that as someone who is taking tentative steps to get a new PC (work, media, gaming) at the end of the year. New-gen GPU’s & CPU’s should give me much more bang for my money. But with a budget of £500, I know I won’t be able to match, the gaming performance of the PS5.

Here are some key benefits to choosing PC over a console:
  • Game selection. Gaming PCs have access to more games. Most modern games come out for both PCs and consoles, and PCs can run most older games thanks to patches, fan mods and emulators. There’s also a lower barrier of entry for indie developers to release their games.
  • Better graphics and sound. The PS5 and Xbox Series X both boast impressive specs, from lightning-fast SSDs to robust graphics cards and tons of RAM. However, you could build a PC with better parts right now — and even better parts will be available by the time the new consoles come out.
  • Wider choice of peripherals. With a PS5 or Xbox Series X, you’ll be able to use one official controller, a handful of third-party imitators, a handful of mice and keyboards and perhaps one proprietary VR headset. With a PC, you can plug in almost anything you want, including PlayStation, Xbox and Switch controllers, and a variety of mice, keyboards and VR headsets.
  • Multimedia and productivity. A PC that’s powerful enough to run AAA games is powerful enough to handle word processors, photo and video editing, streaming video services, music libraries, chat programs and e-mail clients — often all at once. A good PC is a tool for both work and play.

Gran Turismo is the only reason why I'm planning on buying a PS5. If it were released on PC i'd forget about consoles and save up my money for a good rig instead. I'd love to see this. IF they do this, I really hope they do crossplay with PS5, since a bunch of friends I know would play it on PS5.

Judging by a lot of people’s comments here about not buying a console or that the console would be pointless, seems like it would be a bad move by Sony.

For me personally, as long as the game is fully optimized on the console, and it would be released on PC 2-3 years after the console version launch.

Can't call the games "PlayStation exclusives" if they're going to be on PC. Are Sony mad? I can understand Forza being on PC because of it's connection to Microsoft, but I can't understand why Sony would do the same.

Here are some key benefits to choosing PC over a console:
  • Game selection. Gaming PCs have access to more games. Most modern games come out for both PCs and consoles, and PCs can run most older games thanks to patches, fan mods and emulators. There’s also a lower barrier of entry for indie developers to release their games.
  • Better graphics and sound. The PS5 and Xbox Series X both boast impressive specs, from lightning-fast SSDs to robust graphics cards and tons of RAM. However, you could build a PC with better parts right now — and even better parts will be available by the time the new consoles come out.
  • Wider choice of peripherals. With a PS5 or Xbox Series X, you’ll be able to use one official controller, a handful of third-party imitators, a handful of mice and keyboards and perhaps one proprietary VR headset. With a PC, you can plug in almost anything you want, including PlayStation, Xbox and Switch controllers, and a variety of mice, keyboards and VR headsets.
  • Multimedia and productivity. A PC that’s powerful enough to run AAA games is powerful enough to handle word processors, photo and video editing, streaming video services, music libraries, chat programs and e-mail clients — often all at once. A good PC is a tool for both work and play.
Over the years I’ve owned three dedicated gaming PC’s. Relative to a consoles they’re a nightmare to operate & maintain. The usability issues that drove gamers to consoles - is also why general consumers moved to iPads and such.

Consoles are a means to play games. A tool if you will. For many PC owners playing games is only part of the appeal. To get the most out of the experience you have to enjoy the more technical aspects.

A top end PC will always outperform a console. But right now you’re looking at £400-£700 for a comparable GPU to the PS5. To match it in other areas you’ll need to go upto £1200+.

A good 70% of my playing time is PlayStation exclusives. My playing time is limited and there’s a quality bar few others can reach. When a title like HZD hits PC, it’s 3yrs after I finished it, and it launches with various performances issues. Besides that, my digital library, is already many hundreds of games. In the last month I received MW2 & Fall Guys via PS+. Not had time to play ‘em.

Judging by a lot of people’s comments here about not buying a console or that the console would be pointless, seems like it would be a bad move by Sony.
Firstly, there’s never been any significant competition, between console and PC’s. Totally different markets & price points.

Secondly, many of these articles (not this one incidentally), fails to give any context. The report in question emphasises Sony’s need to double down on exclusive content and expand their WWS’s. All with a target of expanding their console user base and PSN/PS+ subscribers.

Offering select titles on PC is with a view of bringing said gamers over to the PlayStation ecosystem. So the exact opposite to the implication in many of the articles.

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on whether Sony think that they will make more from the increased numbers of people buying more copies of the PC game, versus losing Playstation console sales, and reduced sales of the PS version of a game. :confused: There is obviously added income from PSN subscriptions which also has to be taken into account too.

My gaming has always been on consoles since the PS1 until recently when I got into Cities Skylines. It has never even entered into my mind to get any driving games, and I doubt I would get a decent experience anyway. I bought the PS4 specifically for GT Sport, and although I also bought a handful of other games (used) GT Sport has been the only one I really played, so I feel that the PS4 was just about worth it.

Now for me atm, the PS5 is a 50/50, the cost will have a major affect, and even if I think the cost is possible for me, as with the PS4, the GT game may be the nudge to actually buy the console.

As for PD and GT, they seem to very picky in what they want to release, and especially how the game looks, so how would they cater will the game not looking its best on various PC configurations. And it has to be said, it takes PD many years to get a GT game optimised for one system, so to get a game optimised for many different PC options seems er, hopeful. :eek: :lol:

Maybe it's easy to optimise a game for many different combinations of CPU, GPU and RAM speed, whilst also now taking into account, in the short term anyway, the speed data is read off the SSD. People keep on saying these consoles are basically PC's, so maybe it would be easy to port from console to PC.

If Gran Turismo comes to PC then I wouldnt buy a PS console ever again. I do get people saying that they need a nice PC to run those games.

I always have a nice PC. I'm in the IT trades like many of you and always budget having a nice PC. If you're into FS2020 then running GT7 on PC is a doddle.

I think it helps Sony too... if they're going to lose money on a PS5 at $599 then the less sales there the better at least initially.

Xbox is already sort of on that path... hell put Gran Turismo on Steam.

I cannot imagine a strategy of having GT7 on ps5, on Sony's on PC store and on Steam being the best way to get maxiumum traction/sales.

They can even do dodge sheet like needing a PS5 controller on PC. That's scummy but I would understand.

I hope this becomes a reality. I'm already leaning toward not getting a PS5 because I'm tired of buying consoles for one or two damn games. Exclusives are such an outdated mindset. Allow Free Market to take its course and open up the games to a potential wider audience.

I can see Sony expanding the playstation brand into the PC market by having their games on PC use dedicated PC servers under the playstation network umbrella. Or in simple terms you'd still be required to have a PSN account to play playstation games on PC.

They can even do dodge sheet like needing a PS5 controller on PC. That's scummy but I would understand.
That's a double edged sword. One hand it forces others to a PS5 controller, on the second hand it would mean that there would finally be official drivers for PS controllers on PC. If this happened I would urge them to do PS4 controller drivers too. I honestly hate the Xbox controller because of its cheap build quality, but it's the only officially supported one on PC that is plug and play. Setting up a PS4 controller on PC is a nightmare because you have to use unofficial third party drivers that are often outdated and/or glitchy. I switched to the Xbox One controller because I was tired of these work arounds. Dedicated drivers would make me, and thousands of others like me, more inclined to purchase PS peripherals for use on PC in the future.

Last edited:
An open world GT would make sense. Maybe some "small" GT games. Similar to the BMW and Toyota only demos. Manufacturers would definitely be onboard.

Maybe even a Motorcycle title.

Its acknowledged that controllers are a big profit item. So I wouldnt actually hold it against Sony to make people buy the ps5 controller for pc and then they are forced to actually support it.

To me its not a big cost thing. COntrollers are $50 usd or so, thats not a big deal.

PD should at least try to do two titles per gen. I'm not holding out for open world, that's a pipedream for PD.

Guys don’t believe everything you read PCs are not a nightmare, in fact they are simple to use and maintain nowadays.
Also, if someone has a budget of $670 you’re really better off staying on console unless you don’t mind really turning down settings. I’ve built 4 mid level rigs this month (side gig) cheapest came in just under $800 in components.

As far as GT I would love to see it come over, would be a fantastic edition to the library.

Rumors are that BigNavi is going to be a console launch, not PC. If so, then the PS5 and xBox SeriesX will be just a bit ahead of the Nvidia 2080ti in terms of output. Remaining advantage PC has at this point is ultra-widescreen/multi-monitor/VR support.

Last edited:
I'm super curious to know what PC specs would be needed if so. As graphically stunning as GT is, I can't imagine it'll be an easy game to run for a run-of-the-mill machine.

Which makes the PS5 a cost-effective and user-friendly option for those who want to fully experience GT

Guys don’t believe everything you read PCs are not a nightmare, in fact they are simple to use and maintain nowadays.
Also, if someone has a budget of $670 you’re really better off staying on console unless you don’t mind really turning down settings. I’ve built 4 mid level rigs this month (side gig) cheapest came in just under $800 in components.

As far as GT I would love to see it come over, would be a fantastic edition to the library.

Thank you! Yes, I wish people would look more into PC's. The benefits heavily outweigh their negatives, which aren't really many, other than they can cost a lot of money and the infinitely intimidating selection of parts, if you are still not too familiar with the PC market.

PC's are super convenient. They are pretty much legos when it comes to putting them together, you can do so many things on them and they certainly outlive console generations if you future proof them and upgrade them along their lifetime. Just dust them once a week, invest in good parts and don't download stuff from shady websites.

I would love to see GT come to PC. I would gladly buy GT4 tomorrow if it was available for the PC as well as GT Sport and future titles

Gran Turismo 7 is already on a PC the PS5 hehe.

Okay seriously though, I see this as perhaps a way to see how the future of console gaming could be like. If for whatever reason we don’t have Sony and Microsoft flagship consoles anymore this will be the next thing. Sony and Microsoft will make games for PC instead. I hope we still have consoles for the future but you never know. The talent behind some of these gaming studios is too big to see them go after consoles. So maybe we’ll see them exclusively make our favourite games for PC’s one day.

It would be nice the expansion to PC gamers - but as a former PC gamer that i left 20 years ago PC gaming for then new PS2 - there are some problems.. I left PCs because every 2-3 years the games wanted to upgrade my system to play because the PC can't match with the system requirements for every game with compabiiltity problems with Graphic cards sound cards etc... Older will remember that.. That was the main reason that i bought my first PS2. Some will tell me about the better graphics; cheaper games; and bigger game selection.. yes all of these are ok but the ease to use a console make me to vote them for 20+ years. The high-end Pcs of thousand Euros is something of waste of money for me... P.S. i bought a new laptop and i play Forza Horizon 4 in basic settings. That right for me for now as PS5 is far...

Last edited:
Japanese Game Studios does not listen to their community which they're a Western community. So, if GT7 comes out as a PC game, they'd get embarrassed with all these penalty system joke.

I'm playing PS4 and PC, and always a good thing to open games to all. But GT is a big Playstation seller itself.

I'm thinking of Polyphony Digital, they are very protective with their game. And I'm not sure they want to see the game on PC, with risk of modders for example (as GT5 had, they deleted a lot of profiles).

Bring it on :D Sony locked out my wheel from PS4, so if they don't let it back on PS5, I'm not buying neither PS5, or GT7. On PC, there is at least a chance to have more wheels supported.

I wouldn't mind seeing it on PC. Would make my setup cleaner then, since I wouldn't need to use the DriveHub, assuming it would work on PS5. As well as a second PS5.

Yes. By all means, please do it Sony.

The only reason I have consoles are for Forza Motorsport 7/Horizon 4 and Gran Turismo games.

I would LOVE to have it on PC to save some money and never have to worry again about securing another PS/XB!

Last edited:
I can see Sony bringing GT Sport to PC, just to get people hyped for GT7 which will most likely not come to PC anytime soon, or might come to PC when GT8 is about to release on console.

Latest Posts

Back