Sony stops production of PlayStation 2

• Thread starter Pebb
  • 39 comments
England
Southampton, UK
Pebb--
Pebb
Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20875176

Sony has ended Japanese production of its best-selling PlayStation 2 (PS2).

The hardware first went on sale in March 2000 in Japan and since then more than 150 million PS2 consoles have been sold.

The PS2 was so popular that it outsold its replacement for the first three years that the PlayStation 3 was available.

By ending production, Sony has fuelled rumours it is putting manufacturing resources towards the PlayStation 4.

Empty shelves

Although Sony is ending production in Japan this does not mean no more games will be produced for the PS2.

For instance, another instalment of the Final Fantasy series, called Seekers of Adoulin, is due to be released in March 2013. In total, about 11,000 games are believed to have been made for the gadget over its 12-year lifespan.

Japanese gaming and entertainment site Famitsu reported that Sony has told the nation's retailers that it will not provide any more PS2s for sales in shops. Once existing stock is sold no more will be forthcoming.

Sony has yet to say whether it will stop production for other territories as well.

The PS2 is credited with being the best-selling game console of all time and its wide use is also thought to have aided the popularity of DVDs as a drive for the disks was built in to the machine.

Despite rumours that Sony will make announcements about the PS4 in mid-2013, the firm has not given any official details of the specifications of the hardware nor when it might be released.

Damnit. Now I'll be forced to buy a replacement for my PS2, despite not needing one yet.

Amazing. If you laid all those PS2s end-to-end, that line would go... errh... very far.

I have a replacement factory lens for my trusty old slim PS2, it's time to get another one and a couple more spare lens, for safe keeping, so I can play my PS2 collections in the future :D I love my PS2. Sony should made them until 2020 at least, there will still be people who buy them, if it gets cheaper, say $50.

Japanese production...so that means North America will still be getting them. They still sell better than the PS3...

Where does this take place? Brazil?

All over the world.

In 2011 alone the PS2 still sold 4.1 million consoles, coming in at over 103 million sold in 6 years alone, whereas the PS3 is only just touching 70 million as of this past November, which is it's 6 years. In total for 2012, PS3 systems only sold 2.1 million. The PS2 is still king.

Amazing. It still is the ultimate system in my mind; there's something for everyone.

I've got a slim that was bought mid-2004 that still works flawlessly, and yet I'm still tempted to go buy another, just in case. Despite all the technical advances and the joy of widespread online gaming, this generation just isn't the same for me.

Amazing. It still is the ultimate system in my mind; there's something for everyone.

I've got a slim that was bought mid-2004 that still works flawlessly, and yet I'm still tempted to go buy another, just in case. Despite all the technical advances and the joy of widespread online gaming, this generation just isn't the same for me.

I feel the exact same way. Nothing will touch the feeling of getting a PS2 for the first time ever again. I love these things.

Mine is a slim. It is my second ps2 after my sister spilled something on my first one. Have had it for about 3 years andit works amazing. I got a ps3 for christmas last year and then got grounded and had to use my ps2. Also, i thought that the ps2 went out of production about 2years ago. Hmmmmmmm.?

Mine is a slim. It is my second ps2 after my sister spilled something on my first one. Have had it for about 3 years andit works amazing. I got a ps3 for christmas last year and then got grounded and had to use my ps2. Also, i thought that the ps2 went out of production about 2years ago. Hmmmmmmm.?

Sony said 2 years ago that as long as the demand is still their, they will continue to produce the consoles.

Mine does no longer read GT4 and NFSU U2 :(
Damn optical stuff, my SNES still works perfectly.

I'm shocked that this old machine is still produced. :scared: Never the less i still had my FAT ps2 with Network Adpater attached to it with HDD. 👍

If Namco would Released Ace Combat HD Trilogy i would only then sell it :)

Ace Combat ... I still play them from time to time, Shattered Skies, Unsung War and Belkan War :D Still have Ace Combat 2 and Electrosphere ( one of the best ) ... good times ....

Guessing the resale value of the used PS2 might be higher slightly .Is this an indication of the PS4 being produced soon though?

sems4arsenal
Guessing the resale value of the used PS2 might be higher slightly .Is this an indication of the PS4 being produced soon though?

Who knows maybe sony are almost ready to announce.

Damnit. Now I'll be forced to buy a replacement for my PS2, despite not needing one yet.

Amazing. If you laid all those PS2s end-to-end, that line would go... errh... very far.

From Indonesia to Columbia over the Pacific ocean and nearly back again, if you laid them end to end.

Got my 1st fatty PS2 in 2000 at Japanese launch and my 2nd fatty in 2001 (PAL). Both made in Japan and both have never skipped a beat, not even a disk read error. I hope they last forever because there are loads of PS2 games I have yet to finish or even experience the back catalogue is so huge. God help me if I need a replacement laser for an SCPH-10000 :scared:

I wish they had made the PS3 in Japan (I know a limited run was made in Japan) because I feel the quality would have been much better. I'm sure they are still going to produce the PS2 for developing countries as some have only just got official releases there! But I guess it is in a way the end of an era.

I guess this does mean Sony are gearing up for PS4 production getting lines ready etc.

I need to fix my fat SCPH5000 series PS2's lenses but where I live they're fraggin expensive.:grumpy:👎

My PS2 died about a year ago.

How much?
Since in the country I currently reside in (Venezuela which isn't bad to live in at all it's just media B.S.) everything video game related is ridiculously expensive (A PS3 is worth 4.500 to 6.000 Bs which is already quite a lot and new games are fraggin 500 to 1.100 Bs) and lens aren't easy to find and aren't cheap either (550 Bs the last one I bought) so i've got to import them (which is even more expensive).

Since in the country I currently reside in (Venezuela which isn't bad to live in at all it's just media B.S.) everything video game related is ridiculously expensive (A PS3 is worth 4.500 to 6.000 Bs which is already quite a lot and new games are fraggin 500 to 1.100 Bs) and lens aren't easy to find and aren't cheap either (550 Bs the last one I bought) so i've got to import them (which is even more expensive).
A PS3 for 1050-1400$?
Games 115-255$? Fuuuuuuuu!!!

Latest Posts

Back