Spa 60 min

• Thread starter RickyH64
  • 38 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Finished a miserable 19th in the 60min Spa
Used IM tyres was going great through a period of rain on a 1 stop strategy at the halfway stage changed to RM tyres and guess what it rained again strategy all ruined !
My question is has anyone who’s raced this a few times found the race changes every time ?
Thanks in advance

It usually rains during the night, and may rain again on the second day. Quite heavily, so wet tires are recommended.

First pit stop after lap 6, change to wets, the rest depends on the fuel economy and tire wear of your car. You're going to do 23 or 24 laps, so 6+9+9 should work out fine. If you can do 10+ laps on a full tank, you'll have a bit more flexibility if it rains again, or in case the track fully dries.

There are lots of cars that can easily win this race. Among my favorites are the 787B, the CLK-LM and the NSX GT500 '08. But you can also use most high-end road or track cars, and pretty much any Gr. 3.

Last edited:
Yeah, everytime you enter the weather may be different.

There was one time that the rain was weak and didn't even required wet tires...

It's totally doable on inters, but sometimes a bit less frustrating if you bring out the wets. After all, the rain is when you're supposed to gain on the AI, not struggle to stay on the track.

rlx
It usually rains during the night, and may rain again on the second day. Quite heavily, so wet tires are recommended.

First pit stop after lap 6, change to wets, the rest depends on the fuel economy and tire wear of your car. You're going to do 23 or 24 laps, so 6+9+9 should work out fine. If you can do 10+ laps on a full tank, you'll have a bit more flexibility if it rains again, or in case the track fully dries.

There are lots of cars that can easily win this race. Among my favorites are the 787B, the CLK-LM and the NSX GT500 '08. But you can also use most high-end road or track cars, and pretty much any Gr. 3.
Thanks bud I used the NSX 500 all good for a one stop strategy

I done it a few times :lol: only 1 or twice has it not rain.

Op the best way to beat the ai is just pit earlier so when it rains the ai will always get caught with there tires down.
Thanks bud

I think 1 stop is the wrong strategy as it locks you into Inters or Wets which are the slowest tyres. Just run FM1 or 2, maybe 3 if you really want to reduce Pit Stops badly.

Swap tires when you see rain coming. Green clouds are nothing to worry about. Blue clouds need Inters, and yellow or worse clouds will require Wets.

Pit BEFORE the rain comes. The track is so long that you can get caught doing half a lap or more on the wrong tires. Pit lane takes 1 minutes. That's equivalent to about 25 minutes worth of weather and track drying. Always swap to Inters or Wets before it is raining and the rain will probably start while you are in Pit.

Once the dry line starts appearing, go 1 more lap, then pit for dry tires. The lap will dry more while you spend a minute in Pit Lane. If you can get Bronze on Liscense S10, you can stay in the dry line here too.

Last edited:
I find Spa 1 hour is perfectly winnable with a 730 pp stock Gr3 car.
Yes, it will almost always start to rain at the beginning of the night. Put your rain radar on max range to see it coming. Put on wets if you see heavy rain.
I would not try a 1 stop strategy, 2 stops works better.
After the first rain during the night, GT7 plays games with you. Usually it will rain again at around lap 17. But it is variable, hard to predict. So best stay on or switch to inters.
I find it one of the most enjoyable races in the game. But it canbe frustrating if you get the tire choice wrong.
Good luck!

One thing I do that I forgot to mention;

It is my belief that the rain moves at different speeds on each race. When I see the rain pop up on the 50 mile radar, I swap it to the 25 mile radar. The amount of time it takes to hit the 25 mile radar is the amount of time it will now take to hit the track! Pit within that time frame.

I may be overthinking it

Last edited:
I think 1 stop is the wrong strategy as it locks you into Inters or Wets which are the slowest tyres. Just run FM1 or 2, maybe 3 if you really want to reduce Pit Stops badly.

Swap tires when you see rain coming. Green clouds are nothing to worry about. Blue clouds need Inters, and yellow or worse clouds will require Wets.

Pit BEFORE the rain comes. The track is so long that you can get caught doing half a lap or more on the wrong tires. Pit lane takes 1 minutes. That's equivalent to about 25 minutes worth of weather and track drying. Always swap to Inters or Wets before it is raining and the rain will probably start while you are in Pit.

Once the dry line starts appearing, go 1 more lap, then pit for dry tires. The lap will dry more while you spend a minute in Pit Lane. If you can get Bronze on Liscense S10, you can stay in the dry line here too.
Thanks very much

I find Spa 1 hour is perfectly winnable with a 730 pp stock Gr3 car.
Yes, it will almost always start to rain at the beginning of the night. Put your rain radar on max range to see it coming. Put on wets if you see heavy rain.
I would not try a 1 stop strategy, 2 stops works better.
After the first rain during the night, GT7 plays games with you. Usually it will rain again at around lap 17. But it is variable, hard to predict. So best stay on or switch to inters.
I find it one of the most enjoyable races in the game. But it canbe frustrating if you get the tire choice wrong.
Good luck!
Thanks very much I love the race
I’m going to give it another go

One thing I do that I forgot to mention;

It is my belief that the rain moves at different speeds on each race. When I see the rain pop up on the 50 mile radar, I swap it to the 25 mile radar. The amount of time it takes to hit the 25 mile radar is the amount of time it will now take to hit the track! Pit within that time frame.

I may be overthinking it
I don't think you are overthinking it, I do exactly the same. Especially because the rain sometimes skirts the circuit and you don't need to change tires.

Something doesn’t seem right. Even if you messed up strategy, you should still be able to pit to use right tires and still win comfortably given the AI is really dumb in pit strategy. What position do you usually reach on lap 7? Based on this, I might be able to give you suggestions.

The Porsche 917 Living Legend is my Go to for this race since I can buy a new one at any time. I use FM6 to be safe but the tires wear out faster than the fuel so you can probably go higher. I usually do a 2-stop race with it. I managed a one stop with the Porsche 962C yesterday when it only rained for like 10 seconds for the whole hour. It always stops raining by the 7-8 minutes left mark.

The Porsche 917 Living Legend is my Go to for this race since I can buy a new one at any time. I use FM6 to be safe but the tires wear out faster than the fuel so you can probably go higher. I usually do a 2-stop race with it. I managed a one stop with the Porsche 962C yesterday when it only rained for like 10 seconds for the whole hour. It always stops raining by the 7-8 minutes left mark.
Thanks pal

Something doesn’t seem right. Even if you messed up strategy, you should still be able to pit to use right tires and still win comfortably given the AI is really dumb in pit strategy. What position do you usually reach on lap 7? Based on this, I might be able to give you suggestions

Got to circa 7th once the rain ended switched to RM was going well thr rain returned I started spinning off thrn having to drive slow eventually pitted again to try n gain places but it was too late

Last edited by a moderator:
given the AI is really dumb in pit strategy
REALLY DUMB: At nightfall, they're going to spend an entire lap out in the rain, then pit for inters. Only a minute before the second wave of rain hits, they'll switch back to racing tires (enough fuel left, they're pitting for tires), spend another lap in the rain, and pit once more for inters. And just a minute before the race ends, they're going to pit for a fourth time, since the track is now dry enough for racing tires (again, enough fuel remaining to finish the race).

rlx
REALLY DUMB: At nightfall, they're going to spend an entire lap out in the rain, then pit for inters. Only a minute before the second wave of rain hits, they'll switch back to racing tires (enough fuel left, they're pitting for tires), spend another lap in the rain, and pit once more for inters. And just a minute before the race ends, they're going to pit for a fourth time, since the track is now dry enough for racing tires (again, enough fuel remaining to finish the race).
Yup and that's what makes races with rain so easy to win once you learn what the ai does when it rains you can just use that to your advantage.

Used IM tyres was going great through a period of rain on a 1 stop strategy at the halfway stage changed to RM tyres and guess what it rained again strategy all ruined !
My question is has anyone who’s raced this a few times found the race changes every time ?
Thanks in advance
Thanks for the replies
Good info
Ai is rubbish like some of you have commented

toyota GR010 win it easily,
equip Hard Soft tyre
always weather map on display
one you notice rain " dark blue" immediately pet and change to intermediate tyres
i always win with 1st place

Depending on car Gr.3 used, I run as long as possible, pitting when the Viper pits or eke out one each lap. The race is about 24 laps. The less fuel added each stop, gives a buffer and choices, if wet weather will be a factor. I’ve been able to just switch tyres for those late deluges and either run grooved tyres on a drying track or switch back to slicks, with a nice gap to P2.

For anything over Gr.3, it’s an easy win due to fuel tank capacity.

NSX 500 pp 794 with MR tyres
I dont have that car, I use the NSX Concept '16. Any Gr2 car, like the NSX 500, should work. Drop the Medium tyres, you can smoke these guys with Hards. Up your PP to 799.9 with Hards on.

Make sure to up the Natural Frequncy to 4.40, maybe out the roll bars at 6 or 7. I run 720 Front 980 Rear downforce and my car is 537hp, 2485 (you have to restrict power and run ballast on the Concept '16) lbs with a 50/50 weight balance so spend some of that extra PP on downforce.

Here is a video of my fast lap today:

The entire rest of the race was on Wets. I ran FM2 and pit Lap 7 for wets and lap 17 for a second set of wets and 2/3 tank of fuel. I also turned my TC from 0 to 1 during the wet laps.

Last edited:
Thanks in advance
Try this tuning with Wet tyres:
Post in thread 'PRAIANO'S TUNES : SETTINGS FOR GT7'
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/praianos-tunes-settings-for-gt7.404868/post-13915288

Back