Space In General

True or False:

Earth is at the center of the universe.

According to NASA’s COBE and WMAP satellites and the European Space Agency’s Planck satellite, the answer is Yes.

What you choose to make of this data is up to you.

AND NO! They are not saying this because “Every point in the Universe looks like the Center to the observer.”

Around 2004, NASA discovered the EARTH was the CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE. This is the most profound discovery in the entire history of science, why haven’t you heard of it?

Lawrence Krauss, PhD is a Professor of Theoretical Physics at Arizona State and arguably the loudest spokesperson for Atheism on the planet.

He states -

But when you look at CMB map, you also see that the structure that is observed, is in fact, in a weird way, correlated with the plane of the earth around the sun. Is this Copernicus coming back to haunt us? That's crazy. We're looking out at the whole universe. There's no way there should be a correlation of structure with our motion of the earth around the sun — the plane of the earth around the sun — the ecliptic. That would say we are truly the center of the universe.

The new results are either telling us that all of science is wrong and we're the center of the universe, or maybe the data is simply incorrect, or maybe it's telling us there's something weird about the microwave background results and that maybe, maybe there's something wrong with our theories on the larger scales.

THE ENERGY OF EMPTY SPACE THAT ISN'T ZERO

At first, scientists simply laughed this off as some kind of fluke or mistake, because it just couldn't be real. Even though the findings were confirmed by looking back at the earlier COBE satellite data.

Rather than admit what they had discovered, NASA tried to prove the WMAP satellite was broken. quote –

So perplexing is the axis of evil that Hinshaw and WMAP's principal investigator, Chuck Bennett, have obtained a grant for a five-year examination of the WMAP data. They hope to explore the possibilities that the WMAP instrument was in error, or that something else went wrong. "There's no question there's stuff that looks unusual," says Bennett.

We will have to wait and see whether the study reveals the axis of evil to be a cosmic mirage, or shows the big bang model to be in serious trouble.

The Universe: The new Axis of Evil

After about 10 years of failed attacks on the WMAP data, the scientists hoped that the European Space Agency's PLANCK Satellite would finally discredit the data.

Here's what they found -

Matthew R. Francis, PhD. is a physicist, and Director of the MD Anderson Planetarium from 2007-09.

He writes-

Finally, the strange anomaly WMAP first observed in 2001 at the largest scales is still there. Some people held out hope that the WMAP results were a fluke, an error arising from the observatory's basic construction. However, Planck is sufficiently different in design to make that hope futile.

The effect is real. (Some sources made this sound like it's something new, but maybe that's because cosmologists tried not to call attention to it in the last decade.)

Planck results: our weird and wonderful Universe

The PLANCK Satellite's lead cosmologist took this approach -

"Why characteristics of the CMB should relate to our solar system is not understood. ... I was explicitly told not to say anything about God in this talk "which I've just violated," Efstathiou said half-jokingly.

Planck probe's cosmic 'baby picture' revises universe's vital statistics

George Efstathiou, Ph.D. is a Professor of Astrophysics at the University of Cambridge and director of the Kavli Institute for Cosmology.

Then More and More data produced the same results.

From the rotation of galaxies to cosmic expansion everything points in one direction. If only we knew why.
https://www.quora.com/Is-the-earth-really-at-the-center-of-the-universe

Last edited:
True or False:

Earth is at the center of the universe.

According to NASA’s COBE and WMAP satellites and the European Space Agency’s Planck satellite, the answer is Yes.

AND NO! They are not saying this because “Every point in the Universe looks like the Center to the observer.”

Around 2004, NASA discovered the EARTH was the CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE. This is the most profound discovery in the entire history of science, why haven’t you heard of it?

Lawrence Krauss, PhD is a Professor of Theoretical Physics at Arizona State and arguably the loudest spokesperson for Atheism on the planet.

He states -

But when you look at CMB map, you also see that the structure that is observed, is in fact, in a weird way, correlated with the plane of the earth around the sun. Is this Copernicus coming back to haunt us? That's crazy. We're looking out at the whole universe. There's no way there should be a correlation of structure with our motion of the earth around the sun — the plane of the earth around the sun — the ecliptic. That would say we are truly the center of the universe.

The new results are either telling us that all of science is wrong and we're the center of the universe, or maybe the data is simply incorrect, or maybe it's telling us there's something weird about the microwave background results and that maybe, maybe there's something wrong with our theories on the larger scales.

At first, scientists simply laughed this off as some kind of fluke or mistake, because it just couldn't be real. Even though the findings were confirmed by looking back at the earlier COBE satellite data.

Rather than admit what they had discovered, NASA tried to prove the WMAP satellite was broken. quote –

So perplexing is the axis of evil that Hinshaw and WMAP's principal investigator, Chuck Bennett, have obtained a grant for a five-year examination of the WMAP data. They hope to explore the possibilities that the WMAP instrument was in error, or that something else went wrong. "There's no question there's stuff that looks unusual," says Bennett.

We will have to wait and see whether the study reveals the axis of evil to be a cosmic mirage, or shows the big bang model to be in serious trouble.

After about 10 years of failed attacks on the WMAP data, the scientists hoped that the European Space Agency's PLANCK Satellite would finally discredit the data.

Here's what they found -

Matthew R. Francis, PhD. is a physicist, and Director of the MD Anderson Planetarium from 2007-09.

He writes-

Finally, the strange anomaly WMAP first observed in 2001 at the largest scales is still there. Some people held out hope that the WMAP results were a fluke, an error arising from the observatory's basic construction. However, Planck is sufficiently different in design to make that hope futile.

The effect is real. (Some sources made this sound like it's something new, but maybe that's because cosmologists tried not to call attention to it in the last decade.)

"Why characteristics of the CMB should relate to our solar system is not understood. ... I was explicitly told not to say anything about God in this talk "which I've just violated," Efstathiou said half-jokingly.

George Efstathiou, Ph.D. is a Professor of Astrophysics at the University of Cambridge and director of the Kavli Institute for Cosmology.

From the rotation of galaxies to cosmic expansion everything points in one direction. If only we knew why.
This hasn't proven that our star system is the center of the universe. If I am not mistaken, they way this data is being interpreted is that there is no center what so ever to the universe, and that rather than there being a "big bang" singularity, that all point appeared through out the universe all at once. Dr. Hawkins was working on just this exact theory when he passed away. It is also, I believe, a theory that disproves his multiverse theory as well. That what he originally thought were separate "universe bubbles" were in fact points of "creation" if you will, within our own universe.

theory that disproves his multiverse
I was under the impression a multiverse is a solution to quantum mechanics .

Hugh Everett’s many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics arose from what must have been the most world-changing drinking session of all time. One evening in 1954, in a student hall at Princeton University, grad student Everett was drinking sherry with his friends when he came up with the idea that quantum effects cause the universe to constantly split.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn26261-hugh-everett-the-man-who-gave-us-the-multiverse/

But what do i know.

What is known is qm is one the most accurate theories we have proven through experments .

As far as a centre of a universe , the solar system is way younger than what we measured the universe so it cant be the centre . Infact we do not know the boundries if there even is any ,so just with that info it would be impossible to pinpoint .

And one has to remember our universe is not a sphere so there would not be a centre in the normal way one might think .

As far as a centre of a universe , the solar system is way younger than what we measured the universe so it cant be the centre . Infact we do not know the boundries if there even is any ,so just with that info it would be impossible to pinpoint .

And one has to remember our universe is not a sphere so there would not be a centre in the normal way one might think .
Astrophysics has been measuring the universe for decades. COBE, WMAP and PLANCK projects say we are at the center. You say it's impossible. Why? Why couldn't it be just a coincidence?

He states -

Here's what they found -

He writes-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_of_evil_(cosmology)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unsolved_problems_in_physics

Last edited:
Astrophysics has been measuring the universe for decades. COBE, WMAP and PLANCK projects say we are at the center. You say it's impossible. Why? Why couldn't it be just a coincidence?
Thats based on a misinterpatation of data . Do you have a link to a nasa article on the nasa website?

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/centre.html

That link explains why there in no centre of our universe .

Plus like i said earlier the universe is not a sphere . We are not at the middle of a ball and infact our universe could be infinite and that would mean everywhere would look like a centre to a observer . The guy you quoted mr krauss has said publicly many times the universe couldbe infinite with the possiblity of infinite universes also in the mix .

We also know our solar system is moving through space with our galaxy so even if when earth was condensed out of star dust it was at a centre , it wouldnt be now since its moving .

And space time itself is moving, meaning it would be impossible for anything to stay in one spot .

Thats based on a misinterpatation of data . Do you have a link to a nasa article on the nasa website?

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/centre.html

That link explains why there in no centre of our universe .

Plus like i said earlier the universe is not a sphere . We are not at the middle of a ball and infact our universe could be infinite and that would mean everywhere would look like a centre to a observer . The guy you quoted mr krauss has said publicly many times the universe couldbe infinite with the possiblity of infinite universes also in the mix .

We also know our solar system is moving through space with our galaxy so even if when earth was condensed out of star dust it was at a centre , it wouldnt be now since its moving .

And space time itself is moving, meaning it would be impossible for anything to stay in one spot .
Are you certain of that?

Its were evidence points.
So you are not certain. That's good to know. It would seem that the totality of evidence so far adduced is not entirely conclusive, and leaves open a range of possibilities which the individual must contend with, potentially picking and choosing which data to believe and which to ignore or shade. At the end of the day, this ambiguity leaves plenty of room for our values and wishes to guide our choices. I note that your link is to a short 1997 opinion article, over 20 years in the past which concludes 'We still have no real answer to the question "Where is the centre of the universe?"'.
WMAP is a $150 million project launched in 2001. Planck is another recent project operating until 2017. I respectfully submit that the quantity and quality of the data support the view our solar system is presently at or near the center of the universe. I interpret that to be an amusing coincidence.

So you are not certain.
Why would you misquote me ? I never said that . You still have not posted a link to nasa website that backs up what you claim nasa said .

One thing is clear though, you seem to not comprehend that space and time is moving .

Also in a infinite multiverse there is no centre

Our universe is not a sphere so again there is no centre .

You seem to think the bigbang was a explosion like a stick of tnt with everything expanding from a central point, but that is not what happened . Space itself is expanding . Space isnt a where ,it is a what .there is no up and down or this side or that side in space .

bixc8x6hp9su414i1gel8bha0sjsaq.jpg

Image Credit: NASA Hubble and Planck probe data

So you are not certain. That's good to know. It would seem that the totality of evidence so far adduced is not entirely conclusive, and leaves open a range of possibilities which the individual must contend with, potentially picking and choosing which data to believe and which to ignore or shade. At the end of the day, this ambiguity leaves plenty of room for our values and wishes to guide our choices. I note that your link is to a short 1997 opinion article, over 20 years in the past which concludes 'We still have no real answer to the question "Where is the centre of the universe?"'.
WMAP is a $150 million project launched in 2001. Planck is another recent project operating until 2017. I respectfully submit that the quantity and quality of the data support the view our solar system is presently at or near the center of the universe. I interpret that to be an amusing coincidence.
The centre is the big bang event. How does Planck work anyway? I assume it's not like me taking a picture with a 360 degree camera? I'd be at the centre of it by definition.

The centre is the big bang event. How does Planck work anyway? I assume it's not like me taking a picture with a 360 degree camera? I'd be at the centre of it by definition.
From Wikipedia, the Axis of Evil, which is on the list of unsolved problems in physics:

The "Axis of Evil" is a name given to an anomaly in astronomical observations of the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB). The anomaly appears to give the plane of the Solar System and hence the location of Earth a greater significance than might be expected by chance – a result which appears to run counter to expectations from the Copernican Principle.

The Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) radiation signature presents a direct large-scale view of the universe that can be used to identify whether our position or movement has any particular significance. There has been much publicity about analysis of results from the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) and Planck mission that show both expected and unexpected anisotropies in the CMB.[1] The motion of the solar system, and the orientation of the plane of the ecliptic are aligned with features of the microwave sky, which on conventional thinking are caused by structure at the edge of the observable universe.[2][3] Specifically, with respect to the ecliptic planethe "top half" of the CMB is slightly cooler than the "bottom half"; furthermore, the quadrupole and octupole axes are only a few degrees apart, and these axes are aligned with the top/bottom divide.[4]

Lawrence Krauss is quoted as follows in a 2006 Edge.org article:[5]

"But when you look at CMB map, you also see that the structure that is observed, is in fact, in a weird way, correlated with the plane of the earth around the sun. Is this Copernicus coming back to haunt us? That's crazy. We're looking out at the whole universe. There's no way there should be a correlation of structure with our motion of the earth around the sun – the plane of the earth around the sun – the ecliptic. That would say we are truly the center of the universe."

Some anomalies in the background radiation have been reported which are aligned with the plane of the Solar System, which contradicts the Copernican principle by suggesting that the Solar System's alignment is special.[6] Land and Magueijo in 2005 dubbed this alignment the "axis of evil" owing to the implications for current models of the cosmos,[7] although several later studies have shown systematic errors in the collection of that data and the way it is processed.[8][9][10] Various studies of the CMB anisotropy data either confirm the Copernican principle,[11] model the alignments in a non-homogeneous universe still consistent with the principle,[12] or attempt to explain them as local phenomena.[13] Some of these alternate explanations were discussed by Copi, et al., who claimed that data from the Planck satellite could shed significant light on whether the preferred direction and alignments were spurious.[14][15] Coincidence is a possible explanation. Chief scientist from WMAP, Charles L. Bennett suggested coincidence and human psychology were involved, "I do think there is a bit of a psychological effect, people want to find unusual things."[16]

Data from the Planck Telescope published in 2013 has since found stronger evidence for the anisotropy.[17] "For a long time, part of the community was hoping that this would go away, but it hasn’t," says Dominik Schwarz of the University of Bielefeld in Germany.[18]

There is no consensus on the nature of this and other observed anomalies[19] and their statistical significance is unclear. For example, a study that includes the Planck mission results shows how masking techniques could introduce errors that when taken into account can render several anomalies, including the Axis of Evil, not statistically significant.[20] A 2016 study compared isotropic and anisotropic cosmological models against WMAP and Planck data and found no evidence for anisotropy.[21]

The axis was the subject of much of the discussion in the 2014 documentary film The Principle, and formed the basis of the argument advanced therein.

Last edited:
SIXTY(!) satellites going up this week. First launch of ~7 this year carrying the same amount. Many more to come. Global high speed internet for the masses...

As I said, it was a theory Hawking was working on when he died.
For the layman, but contains links to the original paper that he and Hertog were working on. Hawking apparently had issue with the idea that there were an infinite number of multiverses but some physicists are thinking this theory instead, may explain how the universe can be infinite in si
This just read as "blah blah blah, I can't actually find the NASA source I "quoted, blah blah blah look at me being all postmodern."
Literally, the root of your argument is "well you can't prove me wrong" but lacking quite a bit in "heres what proves me right." Well, aside from the flaky wikipedia page. But as I and others have shown, the sources used in that wiki don't support the idea of our star system being the center of anything. Meanwhile plenty of others have done the opposite.
I mean, I hate to reduce you to your own canon fodder, but that is literally as postmodernist as it gets. No wonder you brought this up in the God thread first.
Ok, so, let's toss the "facts" and the facts out the window and just use a touch of logic for a moment. Break it down Barney Style. So first off, we have our solar system. We know that, much like a toilet, the solar system spins with its center being the axis on with it is spinning. We are not that center (though, our, and other planets gravities do affect the exact center. The very center of the sun is not the actual gravitational center of the star system)
Ok, so, we can then step up the scale here and look at our galaxy, the milky way. We know that we couldn't exist in the center of our galaxy, we would be crushed by the black hole there. Also, through observation, we further know that we are far flung from the center, about 8kpc, or roughly 26,000 light years away from the center of the galaxy, in the Orion arm. The galaxy Doesnt spring around Us, we are spinning within its embrace. Finally, the galaxy also isn't just sitting stagnant in the universe. Not only is it moving at 1.3 million mph, is being pulled around by the andromeda galaxy. Further shifting it around in the universe. Just by those three observations, we can see that it's pretty far fetched to think we are the center of anything but our own egos, no matter what Dr. Krauss is being inaccurately quoted for.

For the layman, but contains links to the original paper that he and Hertog were working on. Hawking apparently had issue with the idea that there were an infinite number of multiverses but some physicists are thinking this theory instead, may explain how the universe can be infinite in si

This just read as "blah blah blah, I can't actually find the NASA source I "quoted, blah blah blah look at me being all postmodern."
Literally, the root of your argument is "well you can't prove me wrong" but lacking quite a bit in "heres what proves me right." Well, aside from the flaky wikipedia page. But as I and others have shown, the sources used in that wiki don't support the idea of our star system being the center of anything. Meanwhile plenty of others have done the opposite.
I mean, I hate to reduce you to your own canon fodder, but that is literally as postmodernist as it gets. No wonder you brought this up in the God thread first.
Ok, so, let's toss the "facts" and the facts out the window and just use a touch of logic for a moment. Break it down Barney Style. So first off, we have our solar system. We know that, much like a toilet, the solar system spins with its center being the axis on with it is spinning. We are not that center (though, our, and other planets gravities do affect the exact center. The very center of the sun is not the actual gravitational center of the star system)
Ok, so, we can then step up the scale here and look at our galaxy, the milky way. We know that we couldn't exist in the center of our galaxy, we would be crushed by the black hole there. Also, through observation, we further know that we are far flung from the center, about 8kpc, or roughly 26,000 light years away from the center of the galaxy, in the Orion arm. The galaxy Doesnt spring around Us, we are spinning within its embrace. Finally, the galaxy also isn't just sitting stagnant in the universe. Not only is it moving at 1.3 million mph, is being pulled around by the andromeda galaxy. Further shifting it around in the universe. Just by those three observations, we can see that it's pretty far fetched to think we are the center of anything but our own egos, no matter what Dr. Krauss is being inaccurately quoted for.

Thank you for your thoughts about the center of the universe. It is indeed far-fetched to imagine we are anywhere near the center of it. Personally, I find the following highly amusing, precisely because they posit that something so far-fetched is actually considered a serious scientific problem. I really don't care one way or the other, I just find it amusing.
From Wikipedia, the Axis of Evil, which is on the list of unsolved problems in physics:

Highly recommend this video if you haven't seen it before. Full video taken from the booster cameras from STS-117 and STS-127 from launch to splashdown with incredible audio.

Great find. 👍

When you watch that, it's incredible to think that we're now at the stage where it's the norm to have first stage boosters like those on Falcon 9 come back and land on their own.

Great find. 👍

When you watch that, it's incredible to think that we're now at the stage where it's the norm to have first stage boosters like those on Falcon 9 come back and land on their own.
Yeah, but only the norm for SpaceX at the moment. Some Chinese companies are giving it a shot but nothing successful as far as I know. Nobody else in the US seems to even be giving it a thought. Which is a shame.

We are, of course, at the centre of the observable universe - and although I haven't studied the subject in any great depth, I wouldn't be surprised if these 'anomalies' come down to this fact.

Uncorroborated data collection reveals current monthly deviation in the north magnetic pole by as much as +/- 125 miles.

What-is-driving-the-movement-of-Earth%E2%80%99s-magnetic-north-730x410.jpg

05-17-2019
What is driving the movement of Earth’s magnetic north?
99e13e72878f1ac7d5eab2e249235cca

By Chrissy Sexton

Earth.com staff writer

Earth’s magnetic north is shifting at an unprecedented rate, according to a new report from the European Space Agency (ESA). While scientists believe that this point has always wandered, exactly what is driving the recent acceleration remains unknown.

“While this has some practical implications, scientists believe that this sprint is being caused by tussling magnetic blobs deep below our feet,” explains the ESA.

The geographic North Pole is in a fixed location, but magnetic north has been known to shift since it was first measured in 1831. Since then, it has been drifting slowly from the Canadian Arctic towards Siberia.

As a result, the World Magnetic Model (WMM) has to be modified every few years with the pole’s current location so that navigation systems such as those used by ships, Google maps, and smartphones are up to date. Recently, the WMM had to be updated sooner than usual because of the pole’s accelerated speed.

Between 1990 and 2005, magnetic north shifted from a speed of 0-15 kilometers a year to its current speed of 50-60 kilometers a year. In 2017, it crossed the international date line within 390 kilometers of the geographic North Pole and continues to dive south.

“ESA’s Swarm mission is not only being used to keep track of magnetic north, but scientists are using its data to measure and untangle the different magnetic fields that stem from Earth’s core, mantle, crust, oceans, ionosphere and magnetosphere,” states the ESA.

“Our magnetic field exists because of an ocean of superheated, swirling liquid iron that makes up the outer core. Like a spinning conductor in a bicycle dynamo, this moving iron creates electrical currents, which in turn generate our continuously changing magnetic field.”

This means that tracking changes in the magnetic field can give experts insight into how the iron in the core moves.

“Several theories have been proposed to explain this behaviour but, since they rely upon changes in the small-scale magnetic field, they cannot explain the recent trajectory of the pole,” explains Phil Livermore from the University of Leeds.

“Using data collected over two decades by satellites, including ESA’s Swarm trio, we can see that the position of the north magnetic pole is determined largely by a balance, or tug-of-war, between two large lobes of negative magnetic flux at the boundary between Earth’s core and mantle under Canada and Siberia.”

According to the ESA, changes in the pattern of core flow between 1970 and 1999 elongated the Canadian lobe and weakened its signature on Earth’s surface, causing the pole to move toward Siberia more quickly. Over the next decade, the north magnetic pole is predicted to wander 390-660 more kilometers in the direction of Siberia.
https://www.earth.com/news/earths-magnetic-north-movement/

Last edited:
The first 60 satellites for SpaceX's Starlink program have successfully been deployed. 3rd flight for the booster and it nailed the bullseye landing on the drone ship. These are the first of 12,000 (yes, 12k) of these to go into orbit in the next 6 years. More info can be found HERE.

60429632_10156143902241657_8905199897494421504_o.jpg

61250700_10156143902316657_1203502557062758400_o.jpg

From today's edition of Spaceweather.com:

WHAT'S HAPPENING TO THE GREAT RED SPOT?
The biggest storm in the solar system is shrinking. Since mid-May, Jupiter's Great Red Spot has contracted a startling 3000 km, reducing the size of the anti-cyclone by more than 20%. This 10-day movie created by Marco Vedovato of the JUPOS Projectshows what's happening:

Enormous rivulets of red gas are streaming away from the storm as it spins. "This is something we've never seen before," says Vedovato, who assembled the animation by stitching together images from nearly a dozen amateur astronomers.

Experienced observers say the storm is "getting a new shape every day" in a "dramatic metamorphasis" as the Red Spot "appears to be unravelling."

Consider it a case of perfect timing. Jupiter is about to make its annual closest approach to Earth--"only" 641 million km away on June 12th. Proximity makes the planet big and bright, shining almost four times brighter than Sirius, the brightest star in the sky. Astrophotographers are therefore getting a fantastic view of the GRS.

Jupiter rising over Bluff, Utah. Photo credit: Paul Martini

Back