Space In General

They said they're loading liquid oxygen which needs to be colder than "90.19 K (−182.96 °C; −297.33 °F)" for it to stay in a liquid state! I wonder how they keep it at that temperature while loading and also in the tank

Essentially by the same mechanism that allows us to boil water without having everything evaporate at once. The warmest molecules evaporate from the liquid and take their heat with them, which lowers the temperature of the remaining liquid. As the temperature rises, new molecules evaporate and the temperature drops again.

So a part of the oxygen is evaporating, but it takes a long time for everything to go away. And the better the insulation, the longer it can stay liquid.

Also, readiness check today for DM-2 launch is GO for another attempt at 3:22pm EST on Saturday. Pending weather briefing first thing in the morning.

unlike the first few failures due to welding quality this is not related to the manufacture of the rocket, but in the way it's connected to the ground service equipment that resulted in the propellent loading lines coming loose and spraying liquid methane everywhere

101553899_3828200517251171_7455640184462245888_o.jpg

Awesome! Disappointed that the camera for the landing of stage 1 rocket got cut off. Hopefully they have other cameras they can release later

Awesome! Disappointed that the camera for the landing of stage 1 rocket got cut off. Hopefully they have other cameras they can release later
Unfortunately this has been a problem for a while. The vibration from the rocket shakes the antennas and it loses signal. They say they are working on a solution, not sure what it will be.

Unfortunately this has been a problem for a while. The vibration from the rocket shakes the antennas and it loses signal. They say they are working on a solution, not sure what it will be.
Seems like they could just record the footage onto some sort of local storage and just transmit it with a delay. Of course, they probably already thought of something like this and declined it for reasons.

Seems like they could just record the footage onto some sort of local storage and just transmit it with a delay. Of course, they probably already thought of something like this and declined it for reasons.
I have a feeling that Starlink will play a part in helping fix the issue. (better signal downlink)

Edit: Official cause of Starship SN4 explosion was an issue with a quick disconnect they were testing.

Last edited:
You had me worried for a second, I was picturing Homer Simpson unveiling his space contraband.

Is Earth's climate changing? Is the upper atmosphere changing? Is spaceweather changing? Are there new phenomena being discovered?

Now introducing The Green Ghost, courtesy of NASA. Do you like ghost stories? I like ghost stories. From today's edition of spaceweather.com:

INTRODUCING THE GREEN GHOST: Want to discover something new? Keep an eye on the tops of thunderstorms. Sprites, trolls, elves and pixies: These are just a handful of the exotic phenomena that have surprised researchers monitoring cloudtops since the 1980s. In fact, a new one has just been discovered. Introducing, the Green Ghost.

Thomas Ashcraft caught one over New Mexico on May 25th. Play his movie, and look for the green afterglow following the flash of this magnificent jellyfish sprite:

"In the past week I’ve captured two Green Ghosts over west Texas that were generated by strong peak current lightning strokes," says Ashcraft. "The one on May 25th registered 118 kAmperes on the National Lightning Detection Network and saturated VLF lightning sensors as far away as Great Britain and Germany."

"As far as I know there are no scientific journal articles regarding this new phenomenon and a handful of citizen scientists are leading the way," says Ashcraft.

Green Ghosts were discovered only 1 year ago by Hank Schyma, a Houston Texas-based storm chaser better known to his fans as Pecos Hank. "It was May 25, 2019," recalls Schyma. "I video-recorded some sprites over a storm in Oklahoma. Later, when I reviewed the footage, I noticed a mysterious green afterglow above some of the larger sprites."

Above: From the archives of Thomas Ashcraft, a Green Ghost photographed in 2014. “At the time I did not realize what I had captured,” he says.

Schyma worked closely with another storm chaser, Paul M. Smith. "We shared the footage with scientists and others on social media. Nobody had heard of it before. Many argued it might be a camera sensor artifact. Over the following weeks and months, Paul captured multiple other ghosts at high resolution, silencing the skepticism."

At the moment, no one knows for sure what causes Green Ghosts. Their color may be a clue. Green is commonly seen in auroras and airglow, two upper atmospheric phenomena that get their verdant hue from excited atoms of oxygen. The same could hold true for Green Ghosts. When the tops of strong sprites hit the airglow layer 96-97 km above Earth’s surface, oxygen atoms might briefly glow green.

Right or wrong, this hypothesis inspired the name Ghost. "It is an acronym for Green emissions from excited Oxygen in Sprite Tops," explains Schyma. "More importantly, we named them ghosts to maintain the theme of other transient luminous events such as sprites, trolls, elves and pixies."

In the USA, sprite season is just getting underway as summer approaches, bringing severe electrical storms. Stay tuned for more ghost stories.

https://www.futurithmic.com/2020/03/10/5g-from-space-role-of-satellites/

"A new space race is emerging among tech companies to deploy LEO satellite constellations to deliver high-speed internet service to emerging markets and business customers. In February, SpaceX launched its fifth batch of 60 Starlink satellites to orbit. This will bring around 300 Starlink satellites currently in orbit with a long-term goal of 30,000. :crazy:

By the end of 2020, there should be some 720 5G satellites in orbit."

Filament emerging from next solar cycle sunspot could result in energetic solar event. From today's edition of spaceweather.com:

A SUNSPOT WITH A SCORPION'S TAIL:
Sunspot AR2765 isn't the biggest thing on the sun. Its tail is. Efrain Morales Rivera photographed the structure from Aguadilla, Puerto Rico:

"To take the picture, I used an 80mm telescope with a Lunt H-alpha filter," says Rivera. Such filters are tuned to the red glow of solar hydrogen. They are excellent at revealing long magnetic filaments filled with hot gas--which is what the "Scorpion's tail" is.

The tail of AR2765 stretches almost 70,000 km from end-to-end, and it is not entirely stable. Images from multiple astronomers show it changing shape and direction. If the tail twists enough to reconnect with itself--bang!--an explosion could occur. Monitoring is encouraged.

----------------------------------------------

Energetic solar events causing failure of mechanical ball bearings?

Lovely ECCO2 ocean model visualization. From quite a few years ago but I hadn't seen it before. Apologies if repost - 'tis pretty though!

Unexplained orderly phenomena, UOP, are discussed in this interesting little video. For a few lovely moments, it will take your mind off all your problems. I found it worth watching twice. :D

-spinning universe-
-filamentary cosmic web-
-specific structure across entire universe
controls how galaxies spin-
-universal anisotropy-
-orderly unexplained features-
-the universe has directions-
-"axis of evil"-
-Earth near the center of the universe?
-early universe much more structured and orderly-
-changes in constants-​

Back