Space In General

SN11 had a (hopefully) successful static fire this morning. TFR's for flight in place for Wednesday and Thursday.

Last edited:
SN11 had to have a Raptor removed for repair yesterday, so it has delayed the flight slightly. Could see a single engine static fire on Friday.

Scrubbed.

Screenshot_20210326-133756.png

Last edited:
SpaceX has TFR's in place for Monday-Tuesday and a road closure currently scheduled for 12-5pm on Monday for flight. BUT, the weather this week is terrible. I'll be surprised if they get it done.

Here's the official stream. BUT, it's really foggy. We can hear the vehicle venting, but can't see anything. :lol:

Edit: Well, that didn't go so well. Looks like there was an issue on engine re-light for the landing and it is no longer in one piece. Can't see anything with the fog but one of the remote cameras shows debris falling around it.

Edit:

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever seen an experimental rocket launched in heavy fog. If I did that, they'd revoke my NAR license.

Perhaps it's time Elon fired somebody.

I don't think I've ever seen an experimental rocket launched in heavy fog. If I did that, they'd revoke my NAR license.

Perhaps it's time Elon fired somebody.
The whole process is automated. Fog means nothing to the vehicle itself. Only lack of observation ability by viewers. SpaceX has telemetry so it doesn't really matter to them. FAA supervisor was on site and I'm sure if there was an issue he would have said something.

According to Elon, SN15 is moving to the launch pad "in the next few days". I'll be going down there in a couple weeks to see it.

The whole process is automated. Fog means nothing to the vehicle itself. Only lack of observation ability by viewers. SpaceX has telemetry so it doesn't really matter to them. FAA supervisor was on site and I'm sure if there was an issue he would have said something.

According to Elon, SN15 is moving to the launch pad "in the next few days". I'll be going down there in a couple weeks to see it.
Don't stand too close...

As expected, SN15 was moved to the high bay today while its nose cone was stacked. Final assembly should happen in the next few days and we'll probably see it head to Pad A early next week.

Meanwhile, I've scheduled my vacation time for the week of the 19th hoping that I'll get lucky and catch it's launch...

Last edited:
SN15 stack was completed today with the nose cone installation. Should go to the launch stand in a few days. And I can't wait to get down there to see it. :cheers:

upload_2021-4-2_20-34-14.png

BICEP2 telescope near South Pole Telescope

Keck Array at Martin A. Pomerantz Observatory

Cosmology in physics is a topic closely related to astronomy and astrophysics, deals with the origin, evolution, large scale structures, dynamics and laws of the universe. I recently ran across a paper submitted for peer review which discusses the paradoxes confronting cosmology today. These are simple observations that seem to contradict the laws of physics, and are amusing things to consider.

1) Observed expansion of the universe defies energy conservation laws

2) The nature of the energy associated with the vacuum, called the zero point energy or the energy of the Planck vacuum, has been calculated to be on the order of 10^94 g/cm^3, and ought a gravitational effect on the universe. But
cosmologists have looked for this gravitational effect and calculated its value from their observations (they call it the cosmological constant). These calculations suggest that the energy density of the vacuum is about 10^-29 g/cm3. Those numbers are difficult to reconcile. Indeed, they differ by 120 orders of magnitude.

3) The mathematics that describes these effects is correspondingly different as well, not least because any relative velocity must always be less than the speed of light in conventional physics. And yet the velocity of expanding space can take any value.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1501.01919
https://medium.com/the-physics-arxi...n-to-tear-modern-cosmology-apart-d334a7fcfdb6

Would a paradigm-busting change in our understanding of how and why the universe is expanding change anything in our everyday lives? No, I don't think so either. Anyway, just for momentary amusement of the mind, a researcher says, “Honestly, our discovery may just be a coincidence. But if it isn’t, it is truly incredible. It would change our understanding of the universe’s composition and why it is expanding."

https://www.science.ku.dk/english/p...he-composition-of-70-percent-of-our-universe/

https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2021arXiv210207792L/abstract

In other possibly interesting news are the unexpected X-ray flares suddenly issuing from a distant planet in our solar system.

2017 HRC Composite Image (Credit: X-ray: NASA/CXO/University College London/W. Dunn et al; Optical: W.M. Keck Observatory)

The front cover of New Scientist today features a story about whether there may be a black hole in our solar system...

Here's a paper about it - it's also published in the journal Phys. Rev. Letters, but this version is pretty much the same but also includes a cool figure that illustrates the possible size of the black hole... on a 1:1 scale!

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1909.11090v1.pdf

Some objects called trans-Neptunian Objects (TNOs) have weird orbits that point to a massive object on the distant fringes of the solar system that are influencing their orbits. This object has been dubbed 'Planet 9' but it is also possible that the object is a tiny primordial black hole roughly the size of a tennis ball...

That "debris" was not from the explosion. Fake news.
Reuters seems to think it is. What's the debris from if it's not SN11's explosion?

Incidentally, debris definitely fell 1km from the "right place" crater, because it hit the NASA camera. Or was that fake too?

Also, nice to see you in here again making yet another negative post after me. Kinda missed it.
What's negative about it?

Weird you're taking it so personally again, given that you're not mentioned, quoted, or tagged, and no part of it has anything to do with you.

Reuters seems to think it is. What's the debris from if it's not SN11's explosion?

Incidentally, debris definitely fell 1km from the "right place" crater, because it hit the NASA camera. Or was that fake too?
It was a singed piece of cloth heat shielding that fell off on ascent and was carried by the wind.

What NASA camera? NASA doesn't have cameras there. NASA Space Flight (NSF) does and they are not part of NASA. And the cameras were not 1km away. Maybe 100 yards, if that. If you were actually getting your info from the space community instead of the mainstream media you'd know that.

Weird you're taking it so personally again, given that you're not mentioned, quoted, or tagged, and no part of it has anything to do with you.
You always make a condescending post right after I do and it's downright annoying.

Last edited:
It was a singed piece of cloth heat shielding that fell off on ascent and was carried by the wind.
I've seen that in social media images, which isn't the Reuters news agency, and it's cited as being five miles away. That's not five kilometres - it's just over eight - and it's from a beach, not from the wildlife refuge, which suggests you're talking about different debris.
What NASA camera? NASA doesn't have cameras there. NASA Space Flight (NSF) does and they are not part of NASA.
Is it not? I'll make a note.
And the cameras were not 1km away. Maybe 100 yards, if that.
Pieces of debris began to then fall from the sky, including one piece that appeared to hit the camera itself – stationed more than a kilometre away.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...rship-sn11-launch-what-happened-b1824873.html

I can't find any specific information from NSF other than the fact the camera was on a tripod, which is going to be a beast of a tripod if it's going to withstand that overpressure at 100 yards. There's roughly 12 seconds between the final on-board footage and the NSF camera recording the audio of the bang (simultaneously with the debris raining down from the sky), which suggests it's no more than 4km away but considerably more than 100 yards...

Given the 1km separation between explosion and ground (that is when the deceleration burn is supposed to start, as I recall), the fact that the images of debris reached the camera at the same moment as the sound from the explosion actually makes 1km a pretty good estimation, though I'm sure the Independent has got the measurement from somewhere.

You always make a condescending post right after I do and it's downright annoying.
Firstly, I'm not sure to whom my post is condescending, or how. Again, I guess if you were Musk you might get a bit peeved at someone making fun of your "crater in the right place" comment, but... you're not Musk, and that's also not what condescension is. Nor is it being negative.

Secondly, you make about one in three posts in this thread - commonly more - so there's a pretty high chance that almost everyone is making a post right after you do. You're not tagged, quoted, or referred to in any way, so it's just bizarre you'd think it was about you, or for your benefit.

As for being annoyed by it... well, that's up to you.

In fact, the FAA has said they're no longer allowing Space X launches without an inspector present and are considering placing an inspector in a permanent position just for Space X launches since they're required so frequently.

As an aside, Part 91 instrument flight rules allows takeoffs in "zero" visibility as long as something is available to track the runway, such as a marginally visible centerline.

I've seen that in social media images, which isn't the Reuters news agency, and it's cited as being five miles away. That's not five kilometres - it's just over eight - and it's from a beach, not from the wildlife refuge, which suggests you're talking about different debris.
Source please. With photos.

Is it not? I'll make a note.
NSF is not NASA.

I can't find any specific information from NSF other than the fact the camera was on a tripod, which is going to be a beast of a tripod if it's going to withstand that overpressure at 100 yards. There's roughly 12 seconds between the final on-board footage and the NSF camera recording the audio of the bang (simultaneously with the debris raining down from the sky), which suggests it's no more than 4km away but considerably more than 100 yards...
The cameras were set up right next to this one:

Not even anywhere near even 1km away. Maybe 200 yards from the landing pad. Again, avoid mainstream media.

Secondly, you make about one in three posts in this thread - commonly more - so there's a pretty high chance that almost everyone is making a post right after you do. You're not tagged, quoted, or referred to in any way, so it's just bizarre you'd think it was about you, or for your benefit.
If I hadn't posted about the explosion this morning, would you have even bothered posting? My guess is that you would not have. It was in direct response to my post. And it's almost always a witty comment from you. If I could put you on ignore I would, but we all know that isn't possible so here we are.

Last edited:
If I hadn't posted about the explosion this morning, would you have even bothered posting? My guess is that you would not have.
Then you are wrong.
It was in direct response to my post.
Except for not quoting you, not tagging you, not referencing you, and not addressing anything said in your post in any way... sure.

This post right here is what I do when I want to speak to someone. If I'm not doing that, I'm not speaking to you. It's just barking mad how you seem to think everything is about you. I pointed this out the last time you kicked off about a joke I made about Musk or SpaceX or something which you decided was about you too.

And it's almost always a witty comment from you. If I could put you on ignore I would, but we all know that isn't possible so here we are.
Perhaps take wit as wit rather than a personal assault on your character when you're not involved in the wit in any way. You might have a happier time - and everyone else can enjoy the thread a good deal more.

My existence doesn't revolve around you or what you think. More to the point, I literally don't care about you or what you think. I wouldn't expect you to care any more in return... but here we are with you complaining about things I've said that are not addressed to or involving you in any way.

avoid mainstream media
:lol:

Back to space talk, one hopes. Multiple opinions and mainstream media sources are permitted.

Last edited:
Back