Space In General

The JWST has created a full chemical and molecular profile of an exoplanet 700 light years away, specifically a gas giant named WASP-39 b. In it they found such things as carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, potassium, water vapor, and more importantly sulphur dioxide, which is proof of photochemistry. That's the process of chemical reactions caused by light hitting a planet's atmosphere, and was what created Earth's ozone layer.

2022_wasp39b_transmission_withidentifier_stsci-j-combined.jpg

Being able to profile a planet's atmosphere and detect photochemistry is an important step in determining whether more rocky planets may be habitable and have the potential to support life, and frankly if you don't think being able to analyze a planet's complete atmospheric makeup just by looking at it is extremely awesome, then I don't know what to tell you really.

Last edited:

Unfortunately Omotenashi, the cubesat that was supposed to actually land on the moon, broke something shortly after launch and wasn't able to do that. It can still analyze radiation outside Earth's magnetosphere though, which is something that's quite important to study if we're ever going to go visit our neighbors on the red planet.

Last edited:
As if there wasn't enough wild stuff happening around the moon lately, one of Japan's cubesats that hitched a ride on Orion uses steam powered propulsion. It's reckoned that since water is much less volatile than traditional propulsion fuel, tiny low-powered space things like cubesats can make use of it to keep fuel-based failures to a miminum (and I dare to surmise water is a lot cheaper than rocket fuel too).

uLJk57m.png

This is so neat that I won't even complain about the improper acronym assembly.
Better than the Prototype Aquarius Resistojet Propulsion System.

That was just a load of PARPS.

Just to remind you that many other countries are Doin' Thangs In Space™, today China will be sending three taikonauts up to their Tiangong space station to relieve the current crew. What's notable about this launch is that it's the first crewed flight of the Long March-2F to take off in extremely cold conditions (-20° C). China isn't exactly known for public broadcasting of their space launches but apparently they sent up cargo flights in these conditions previously without any problems, or so the agency has reported anyway.

shutterstock_tiangong_space_station.jpg

NASA awarded a nearly $60 million contract to ICON, a company that built a 3D printer that can print out entire houses, for the purpose of designing a 3D printer that can be used to create infrastructure on the moon for eventual habitation.

I mean, it's just gotta work in extreme temperatures and reduced gravity, and also source its materials from the lunar surface. Should be simple, right?
$60m doesn't sound like a lot to develop a technology like that. But i guess that once they have the technology it would likely become the de facto building method for extra terrestrial structures.

$60m doesn't sound like a lot to develop a technology like that. But i guess that once they have the technology it would likely become the de facto building method for extra terrestrial structures.
I would reckon that since they've already got the groundwork on the machinery done with Vulcan, much of that money is going to go towards figuring out how to modify it for the extreme conditions it has to operate under and how to make usable building material out of lunar regolith. The latter will probably be more difficult than the former, since the resulting product has to be able to withstand radiation, low gravity and getting smacked by micrometeroids and such.

Traditional manufacturing is harder in lunar gravity, as machinery can't really push the regolith around and it would have to be removed or handled differently. Additive manufacturing might be slower in places, but the property tax is "lenient".

The latter will probably be more difficult than the former, since the resulting product has to be able to withstand radiation, low gravity and getting smacked by micrometeroids and such.
It's such a different environment that it's tough to say from the outside what the hardest part will be. I know that cosmic rays require a fair amount of software resiliency due to random bit flips, but that seems more important for orbital spacecraft than for tools on the lunar surface. A lot of spacecraft have to deal with radiation and cosmic rays, so it's not exactly new territory for the industry.

Low-g seems like an easier thing to engineer for than, say, salt water corrosion. I'd expect whatever process they use on the moon to be something that won't look like a terrestrial process, and flat out wouldn't work just about anywhere else. I could be wrong, of course, but the environment seems so different that I'd expect a tailored solution.

Last edited:
The InSight probe has found that there's volcanic activity still happening under the surface of Mars, despite belief that the planet has been geologically dormant for the last 500 million or so years. This is pretty significant, not just because it means there's possbilities of some kind of (most likely microbial) life subsisting deep underground, but it might also play a part in creating sustainable habitats when we finally get out there as it could potentially be tapped for geothermal energy sources.

And truthfully, it wasn't really rising. It was sort of popping its little head up.

Last edited:
Falcon 9 launch with One Web sats this afternoon.

And Tim Dodd has been chosen to go on the Starship Dear Moon trip around the moon. If you don't know who he is, highly recommend his YouTube channel for space related videos.

I'm visiting a certain someone in Orlando this week, but was unable to see get over for the SpaceX launch this past Thursday. There's to be one tonight, in the wee hours, and planning and getting over for that. Another cape booster landing, too! Hope to report on that later!

I'm visiting a certain someone in Orlando this week, but was unable to see get over for the SpaceX launch this past Thursday. There's to be one tonight, in the wee hours, and planning and getting over for that. Another cape booster landing, too! Hope to report on that later!
This might be useful.

Back