Space In General

The Sun during winter will be lower, so I hope I'll catch the ISS as it passes closer to me so it can look bigger.
If the station passes in front of a lower sun, it will actually be further away, and make a smaller shadow. The closest it can approach you, i.e. the largest apparent size, would be directly overhead. The closer to the horizon, the farther away it is.

It looks like a globular cluster - or a glob of beads on a ribbon of gas.

Spinal-Tap-Cover.png

More of a stain than a globule actually.

If the station passes in front of a lower sun, it will actually be further away, and make a smaller shadow. The closest it can approach you, i.e. the largest apparent size, would be directly overhead. The closer to the horizon, the farther away it is.
D'oh, you're right. I just noticed that it was a bit bigger when it passed at 14:57 than at 15:49, so I thought that it will be even bigger if I'll catch it mid-day. I didn't had any transits all summer- too far north.
Well... I'll be checking the transit-finder and hopefully get a better shot. =)

That looks kinda like the horsehead nebula. This part lines up nicely with your photo, and I think I can see the horsehead in your photo.

horsehead-nebula-894256_960_720.jpg
That's a one for one match of the nebula, but what is the bright purple object behind it?

That's a one for one match of the nebula, but what is the bright purple object behind it?

A star behind various gases and interstellar dust, which then seen on a certain telescope gives that look. The one @Danoff posted is how it'd be seen in infrared I think. Same with the photo I gave, one side (the left) shows a similar image to what you posted, the other (the right) shows and infrared view of the nebula.

I went to the launch today, watched from Port Canaveral, from the 7th-floor observation deck at a place called the Exploration Tower. We could see the launch pad from that height, even though we were about 13 miles away. It took the sound about 67 or 68 seconds to reach us, and the floor shook, even at that distance. Watching the launch stream later, I see that by the time we heard it start, it was 9.5 km up and travelling over 1300 km/sec!

My first launch, even though I've been in Florida for nearly 50 years. The one thing that struck me most was how BRIGHT the flame was!

The day was crystal clear, but even so we couldn't see staging. Not surprising, as by that time it's over 80km up and who knows how far downrange. Lastly, it would have been fun to see a booster landing, but this one went out offshore quite a ways.

I did not have my camera, as it's on the fritz at the moment. :banghead: Cell phone only. Here's a shot of the building I was in, the view of the launch pad (at 8x digital zoom on the phone,) and a panorama of the area from the observation deck, looking across the water towards the space center. In the panorama you can just about make out NASA's Vehicle Assembly Building just left of center, near that orange or yellow crane.

37341867204_1ac817fe6d_c.jpg

38051248321_4440b32377_b.jpg

38020160822_7381b59391_h.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, can someone give me a name for this galaxy?

Galaxy-high-quality-wallpapers.jpg
It's actually a mash-up of multiple unrelated images.

The wispy (bluish white) stuff on the right is IC 2118 - the Witch Head Nebula, while the bright object in the centre (and the star cluster to the left of it) is Messier 8 - The Lagoon Nebula - which is nowhere near IC 2118 in reality.

On top of that, the purple band across the middle is in fact a repeating image - if you look closely, the same features appear on both the left and right sides of the image. Ironically, that part of the image is the Horsehead Nebula - albeit with the horse's head photoshopped out :ouch:

Last edited:
It's actually a mash-up of multiple unrelated images.

The wispy (bluish white) stuff on the right is IC 2118 - the Witch Head Nebula, while the bright object in the centre (and the star cluster to the left of it) is Messier 8 - The Lagoon Nebula - which is nowhere near IC 2118 in reality.

On top of that, the purple band across the middle is in fact a repeating image - if you look closely, the same features appear on both the left and right sides of the image. Ironically, that part of the image is the Horsehead Nebula - albeit with the horse's head photoshopped out :ouch:

Billy-D_Approves.gif

I see the witch head (now that you point it out). I see the feature of the lagoon nebula that I mistook for the horse head. Obviously I saw the horsehead, and then there's the repeated portion of the image which... facepalm. Nicely done sir! You are a gentleman and a scholar. For some reason it never occurred to me that someone would fake something like this. After all, there is so much beauty in space, why go to the trouble?

Last edited:
Hubble Shows "Light Echo" Expanding from a Supernova

stsci-h-p1742a-m-2000x1333.png

The supernova in question is SN 2014J, discovered on January 21, 2014, located in the nearby starburst galaxy M82.

Taken 10 months to nearly two years after the stellar explosion, the inset images reveal an expanding shell of light sweeping through interstellar space, called a “light echo". The light is bouncing off a giant dust cloud that extends 300 to 1,600 light-years from the supernova and is being reflected toward Earth.

SN 2014J is classified as a Type 1a supernova, and is the closest such blast in at least four decades. Type 1a supernovas occur in a binary star system consisting of a burned-out white dwarf and a companion star. The white dwarf explodes after the companion dumps too much material onto it.

Close encounters with its larger neighbour, the spiral galaxy M81, is compressing gas in M82 and stoking the birth of multiple star clusters. Some of these stars live for only a short time and die in cataclysmic supernova blasts, as shown by SN 2014J.

Located 11.4 million light-years away, M82 appears high in the northern spring sky in the direction of the constellation Ursa Major, the Great Bear. It is also called the “Cigar Galaxy” because of the elliptical shape produced by the slanting tilt of its starry disk relative to our line of sight.

Last edited:
Wasn't this somewhat known already though by scientist, did this prove it more so or what?
Yeah, antimatter creation by routine lightning is not something to be accepted without very firm proof. The universe immediately around us sometimes seems stranger than we can know. IMO, a good reason to remain humble when it comes to our knowledge of our own atmosphere, let alone space beyond.

A Kyoto University-based team has unraveled the mystery of gamma-ray emission cascades caused by lightning strikes. Credit: Kyoto University/Teruaki Enoto

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-11-lightning-chance-antimatter.html#jCp

Yeah, antimatter creation by routine lightning is not something to be accepted without very firm proof. The universe immediately around us sometimes seems stranger than we can know. IMO, a good reason to remain humble when it comes to our knowledge of our own atmosphere, let alone space beyond.

A Kyoto University-based team has unraveled the mystery of gamma-ray emission cascades caused by lightning strikes. Credit: Kyoto University/Teruaki Enoto

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-11-lightning-chance-antimatter.html#jCp

I agree I just thought the last time it was brought up it was given good enough proof, perhaps not anyways it's good to get more info on it.

It is in keeping with the topic, isn't it? I hope I'm not violating some rules, lol. I apologize if I am. :)

Nope, not sure what you're worried about you didn't break any rules. Just generally asking if it is a random curiosity or if there is more to it.

Nope, not sure what you're worried about you didn't break any rules. Just generally asking if it is a random curiosity or if there is more to it.

Man, I wish that I discovered some revolutionary stuff to break news with, lol, but sadly it was just a random curiosity, lol. :) Physics just fascinates me, lol. :) What is in reality just fascinates me, lol. :) The craziest, wildest, most outlandish thing that you can think of, reality has you beat, lol. :)

I read that everybody lives in their own reality but I personally think that quantum entanglement is accounts for one's reality to interact with anothers, lol. :)

Back