Space In General

Even though I'm skeptical of manned missions to beyond low Earth orbit, this nicely produced vignette of SpaceX landing on Mars is persuasive they could actually do it this way. But if I were in charge of the mission, I would want the landing zone prepared (by automated operations) and ground support equipment already in place before launching the crewed vehicle.

Just think of how much tax payer money would be saved if they just used SpaceX for all of their launches...

How much would be saved? Because I really don't see it being much since it would be a case by case based situation as each launch comes up. Also you seem to be suggesting that what Space X can do what ULA does, what Northrop Innovation Systems (former Orbital ATK) does, and what Blue Origin does. Thus NASA should just go with Space X. Doesn't this amount to the same issue that proponents (as yourself) of Space X have said in regards to the "monopoly" seemingly given to ULA by the Air Force? And more so since your suggesting all government based launches be given to Space X based solely on a general launch cost.

Last edited:
Edit: suddenly got quiet in here. ;)

Considering what you deleted your comment is quite stand offish and only deflects from the question. Again how exactly does your idea for the group you have some subjective view for, being given full government contract reign, exactly good? Considering Blue Origin, ULA, Northrop Innovative Systems and even outside entities not U.S. based have just as competitive of systems, prices and viability or more viability. Also you say this after the SLS article comes out and yet reading it, the affairs seems to be typical engineering set backs and government contracts on a plus system that are basically blown out of proportion.

I've been out to my fishing cabin over the weekend, got a load of oysters and clams, so late to join in. As skeptical as I am of Mr Musk and his many plans and machinations, I'll enthusiastically agree he has advanced the state of the art of rocketry, so far most importantly by the practical reusable single stage vehicle to LEO and reentry back to a pad. He has another load of ideas and money that are worth digging into before he or his company run into trouble. Our overall requirement for launches is potentially so great that a large competitive industry is definitely called for, and for sure including innovators and rebels who could change the system for the better.

I've been out to my fishing cabin over the weekend, got a load of oysters and clams, so late to join in. As skeptical as I am of Mr Musk and his many plans and machinations, I'll enthusiastically agree he has advanced the state of the art of rocketry, so far most importantly by the practical reusable single stage vehicle to LEO and reentry back to a pad. He has another load of ideas and money that are worth digging into before he or his company run into trouble. Our overall requirement for launches is potentially so great that a large competitive industry is definitely called for, and for sure including innovators and rebels who could change the system for the better.

I don't think anyone would question that SpaceX (not sure about Elon Musk specifically) has advanced the state of rocketry. I'm not sure how much they've pushed the technology in the form of reusable rockets (maybe they have, I don't know much about the technology), but the retro-rocket landing technology is beyond where the state of the art was in SpaceX's absence. The most notable that comes to mind is the Phoenix lander which successfully used retro-rockets to land at mars (before SpaceX was showing off yet). And which I literally laughed at when they showed a simulated video of the landing plan. What SpaceX is doing is well beyond what Phoenix used.

As best I can tell, what is special about Musk is his willingness to try to make engineering dreams a reality, instead of playing it safe with budgets. I'm not convinced that he's some kind of super-genius who is single-handedly pushing the technology forward. He's courting good engineers partly by letting them do what they really all wanted to do in the first place, something cool.

But...

I think the jury is still out on SpaceX's financial case for reusable rockets. There's so much to it beyond being able to land them. I think that there is some promise in what they're doing, and I want to see them successful at every step, but we need to see a lot more success before we know whether this is really working yet. One thing I will say is that retro-rockets on a vehicle that can directly launch again with almost no servicing is the only way really to do a manned Mars mission (short of just leaving people there).

Maybe nit-picking, but they do not have single stage to orbit. They have a reusable first stage, but that second stage is still required for orbit.

Back in June 2008, NASA launched the Fermi Gamma-ray Telescope to observe the cosmos using the highest-energy form of light, and has since provided data on some of the universe's most extreme phenomena, ranging from black hole jets to gamma-ray bursts, remnants of supernovae and the origin of cosmic rays.

To celebrate it's 10th anniversary, NASA decided to name 21 new constellations constructed from sources in the gamma-ray sky. Some of them you might recognise.

https://fermi.gsfc.nasa.gov/science/constellations/

Another one went up today for SpaceX, and damn near a bullseye landing on the drone ship to top it off. They're making this look easy.

Edit: Another launch on Monday, this one from Vandenberg in California. Will be the first booster to fly 3 times.

46292834_345102012930507_2251471356061286400_n.jpg

46412657_1228449720627211_648164750273806336_o.jpg

Even though I'm skeptical of manned missions to beyond low Earth orbit, this nicely produced vignette of SpaceX landing on Mars is persuasive they could actually do it this way. But if I were in charge of the mission, I would want the landing zone prepared (by automated operations) and ground support equipment already in place before launching the crewed vehicle.

They may be able to land it, but can they still do it while carrying enough fuel to get back to orbit? I have a feeling it would be too heavy.

For those unaware, SpaceX has officially changed the name of BFR to "Starship". They have also filed an FCC communications permit for Starship hop tests at their new facility in Boca Chica, TX.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/els/repo...10PpPlNJwFUcBFZ0ZVZ8VkfUKuOlMOx1OqWbfuHr7CAEA

SpaceX is looking to fly and operate a Research and Development (R&D) Vertical Takeoff, Vertical
Landing (VTVL) vehicle at its South Texas location. The vehicle will take off, ascend vertically to a low
altitude, and then descend back to its original landing spot. While the vehicle is in the air, it is important
to have communications with the vehicle for two main reasons:

1. Downlink: SpaceX can view the data in real‐time and ensure that all parameters remain
nominal.

2. Uplink: If there is an anomaly, SpaceX needs the ability to command the vehicle into a safe state
(as a backup to its onboard safety systems).
Thus, to ensure both a safe and useful test, it is important for SpaceX to maintain a bidirectional RF link
between the control center and the vehicle.

SpaceX wishes to use the same transmitters on the VTVL vehicle that it uses on its other vehicles. The
major difference is that the ERP is reduced on this vehicle by two orders of magnitude. This transmitter
has been demonstrated to be very safe and reliable under both flight and test conditions and the
regulatory agencies involved (both FAA and FCC) are familiar with the hardware and frequencies.

The tests themselves are divided into low‐altitude and higher‐altitude tests. The low‐altitude tests stay
below 500 meters in altitude and last approximately 100 seconds. These tests will be run approximately
three times per week during the initial portion of the program. The higher‐altitude tests can go as high
as 5 km and will occur approximately once per week. These tests last approximately 6 minutes.

Please note that SpaceX is also applying for an experimental permit from the FAA in order to gain
permission to run these VTVL tests.

Incredible job by NASA to land another rover on Mars.

I stupidly looked at Facebook comments and am now incredibly angry at all the "Fake" comments.

Yeah R1600 put it in to context, it's a fixed position system. However, what it is situated with monitoring is actually right in your scope which would probably make this something to watch for you, if you weren't already aware.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science...-spacex-commercial-crew-safety-review/576997/

If Elon Musk wants to launch American astronauts into space, he can’t smoke weed and drink whiskey on a podcast again.

That’s a message from Jim Bridenstine, the nasa administrator, to the founder of SpaceX, which, along with Boeing, is developing transportation systems that would allow the United States to fly nasa astronauts from American soil for the first time since the space shuttle was retired in 2011.

“I will tell you that was not helpful, and that did not inspire confidence, and the leaders of these organizations need to take that as an example of what to do when you lead an organization that’s going to launch American astronauts,” Bridenstine said Thursday at a meeting of reporters at nasa’s headquarters in Washington, D.C.

Bridenstine said he has spoken with Musk recently. “We’ve had a number of conversations,” he said. “I will tell you, he is as committed to safety as anybody, and he understands that that was not appropriate behavior, and you won’t be seeing that again.”

Looks like NASA is drawing a red line in space for Elon.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science...-spacex-commercial-crew-safety-review/576997/

If Elon Musk wants to launch American astronauts into space, he can’t smoke weed and drink whiskey on a podcast again.

That’s a message from Jim Bridenstine, the nasa administrator, to the founder of SpaceX, which, along with Boeing, is developing transportation systems that would allow the United States to fly nasa astronauts from American soil for the first time since the space shuttle was retired in 2011.

“I will tell you that was not helpful, and that did not inspire confidence, and the leaders of these organizations need to take that as an example of what to do when you lead an organization that’s going to launch American astronauts,” Bridenstine said Thursday at a meeting of reporters at nasa’s headquarters in Washington, D.C.

Bridenstine said he has spoken with Musk recently. “We’ve had a number of conversations,” he said. “I will tell you, he is as committed to safety as anybody, and he understands that that was not appropriate behavior, and you won’t be seeing that again.”

Looks like NASA is drawing a red line in space for Elon.

Oh good. I'm so glad NASA cares about smoking pot as a safety issue. I sure hope they take such a hard line on alcohol use. CEOs should not be caught drinking, because safety.

Oh no!
17081661237_c04f93ace4_k-e1482941658397.jpg

3-things-elon-musk-fears-and-3-things-he-tackles-h_14qe.640.jpg

rtr341bz-1.jpg

Oh good. I'm so glad NASA cares about smoking pot as a safety issue. I sure hope they take such a hard line on alcohol use. CEOs should not be caught drinking, because safety.

Oh no!
17081661237_c04f93ace4_k-e1482941658397.jpg
Unfortunately, this is 2018 and not..well almost any time in history before this. Subtlety, nuance and reason are passe' dontchaknow? We must all be politically correct and concerned with appearances at all time, even NASA. We cannot be judged solely on the quality and body of our work and what we produce in an age when a mis-tweet or inappropriate comment can ruin a lifetime of otherwise good service. One never knows when the fickled finger of political correctness will point in their direction. The future is so bright I've gotta wear shades:sly:.

It'll be interesting to see NASA's response if and when Elon has another "misstep".

On a more positive note, there are TWO SpaceX launches in the next two days.

SSO-A which has been delayed numerous times should launch from Vandenberg AFB at 1:32 pm EST today. The 1st stage booster for this launch has already been used twice. This will be it's 3rd liftoff. It will land on the JRTI drone ship shortly after. A fairing recovery attempt will also be made by 'Mr. Steven'.

CRS16 launches from SLC-40A in Florida tomorrow at 1:38 pm EST Wednesday 1:16pm EST. Brand new booster on this one, landing at LZ-1.

Edit: CRS16 date updated.

Last edited:
50/50 success on today's ISS resupply mission. Dragon capsule is on it's way to the ISS, but the first stage booster encountered a sticky grid fin on the way down due to the hydraulics and started to spin out of control. It partly recovered but was unable to land as planned at the landing zone and had to ditch at sea. However, it did come down pretty gently considering and Elon thinks it may still be usable for internal testing. He said they may also add a backup system in the future.

Edit:

Last edited:
As of this morning they are still preparing to fish the booster out of the ocean but it shouldn't be more than a few hours before that happens. The interstage at the top (black) has a big hole in it, but that's an easy fix. Damage caused by the salt water unknown at this point. Chances of this flying again are pretty slim, but I wouldn't put it past Elon to make it happen just to say they did it.

47455449_1172117776287931_3783983423203311616_n.jpg

And.....out. Bottom leg is missing because they removed it before towing it back to port. Besides the crushed interstage at the top, the bell on the bottom engine is also bent but that may have been an oopsie moment from the towing.

Back