Special Events

• Thread starter Ryan81
  • 12 comments
Hi everyone,

I have been playing racing games since I was a kid and while I'm not professing to be the greatest driver in the world, I consider myself pretty solid. Now, these Special Events in AC: am I missing a trick?

For example, Audi R8 LMS @ Brands Hatch. Bronze time 1:28. My best was 1:38. There's no way that I can make up 10 seconds on such a short circuit. Using a controller, manual transmission. Is the only way to reach these targets is to get a wheel?

May I ask whay you are using a controller, do you have some sort of disability, if so I totally understand your reasing for a use of a controller.
But if not and you have been playing racing ahem... "sims" since you were a kid why do you not have a wheel base n pedal set ? ... miffed :banghead: .

I would say AC is my first true 'sim' that I've played since I consider GTS, Forza etc to be 'simcades'
AC feels a lot more challenging. Main reason I haven't bought a wheel and pedals is because they take up space. Was curious to know if achieving the Special Events times is doable with a controller or only if you're Lewis Hamilton?

May I ask whay you are using a controller, do you have some sort of disability, if so I totally understand your reasing for a use of a controller.
But if not and you have been playing racing ahem... "sims" since you were a kid why do you not have a wheel base n pedal set ? ... miffed :banghead: .

Sorry but wow, you don't need a wheel to enjoy a game (sim).

Hi everyone,

I have been playing racing games since I was a kid and while I'm not professing to be the greatest driver in the world, I consider myself pretty solid. Now, these Special Events in AC: am I missing a trick?

For example, Audi R8 LMS @ Brands Hatch. Bronze time 1:28. My best was 1:38. There's no way that I can make up 10 seconds on such a short circuit. Using a controller, manual transmission. Is the only way to reach these targets is to get a wheel?

Maybe have a look at the controller settings, there is a thread which people have posted there settings, also it's going to take you time to get use to the game, just run some laps and enjoy and your time will come down.
Have a look at YouTube for some videos of the combo and watch there lines, braking points and apex speed.

Hi everyone,

Well it takes some work, but I just squeaked a 1:27.834 using DS4, so at least that is possible :) I normally use my wheel with AC, so any skills I have with DS4 are from GT etc.

A lot of the special event hotlaps are set quite tough, and even with my wheel I have to settle for bronze on some of them. I like that, because even bronze is an achievement. It varies by car, but using DS4 can make me up to a second or more slower (and much less consistent).

This hotlap is particularly hard with DS4 because the soft tyre is easy to overheat by under-steering, which is hard to avoid.

Common hotlap tricks are setting the fuel to minimum and choosing the stickiest tyre available, then tweaking the pressures to maintain balance and temps. On this one I picked the softs and set them to 20 front 18 rear. I also set the rear wing to max.

The front-left still kept getting too hot though, so maybe it's not the best way to do it. I used restart session sometimes to get me 'fresh' tyres without having to do an outlap.

Definitely get your controller settings nice for you. I'm using:
Vibration 85%
Speed Sensitivity 25%
Steering Speed 30%
Steering Deadzone 0%
Steering Filter 65%
Steering Gamma 3.5

Thanks Outerspacer ^

I'll try those settings. I don't mind a challenge in a racing game but when it gets to the point where you have to strategically change tyre pressure, fuel load etc it gets a bit much.
It should still be a game when all is said and done, not something convoluted.
These medal times are just beyond the average player unless your a hardcore hotlap fanatic that just does hotlapping 24/7.

It should be challenging enough as not to be too easy but at the same time, not so challenging that it leads to player apathy because only a tiny minority of players can actually achieve the times set.

Thanks Outerspacer ^

I'll try those settings. I don't mind a challenge in a racing game but when it gets to the point where you have to strategically change tyre pressure, fuel load etc it gets a bit much.
These medal times are just beyond the average player unless your a hardcore hotlap fanatic that just does hotlapping 24/7.

It should be challenging enough as not to be too easy but at the same time, not so challenging that it leads to player apathy because only a tiny minority of players can actually achieve the times set.

That's probably the difference between a racing game and a racing sim. In a sim you have to set up you car exactly for the purpose, different setup for a hotlap or quali and different one for a race. All also depending on track characteristics and conditions. This is what makes it real. In real life you also have to get your car right if you want to achieve top results. So it is very much a combination of driver skill and machine.
However, in real life of course you'd have race engineers helping you with the setup.

Not easy with a wheel either. Heaps more fun though, especially with a shifter. Solid advice from @Outspacer. I use the set fuel to minimum, fuel use to off (I know not simulating strictly but helps) and get the tyres warm. Some of the challenges feel like they are set harder than others. Drifting challenges, keep it moving side to side or it times out real quick.

Thanks Outerspacer ^

Not being rude, but right now you're not an average AC player, you're a newbie :) It will take a little while to get your controls how you like them, and get used to driving AC style rather than Gran Turismo style. There is a learning curve that once passed might get you to the point of being able to bronze one or two special events in an evening - some of them are easier, this thread has good info in it: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ps4-physics-updates-and-special-events.354807/

AC certainly isn't a game where you'll tick off events at a rate of knots but, for me at least, apathy doesn't set in as long as I keep getting quicker.

The general recipe of picking the softest tyre and lowering tyre pressures (often quite a bit) works without too much fussing around most of the time. This R8 is more painful than most in that respect! Setting fuel use off and emptying the tank is, well, treating it like a game :)

May I ask whay you are using a controller, do you have some sort of disability,

That's an ignorant comment you need to edit that in the interest of maturity.

Ryan,
You've been around racing so you understand the basics.
Brake earlier, accelerate hard out of the apex.
Get Surtees corner exit correct and run the lowest downforce you can for max speed through pilgrims drop straight.
You can gain seconds around Westfield and Sheene.
The biggest challenge for me was always paddock hill (the first corner) it took me quite a while to get it right.

Here's a decent setup for the Audi with video of a gold run.

Thing is, I've been playing AC for a while now lol. There's no doubt that I'm being a lot more cautious with the R8 when navigating Brands Hatch in comparison to the guy in the video above because I feel like if I give it too much, it'll hit the rumble strips and spin. Guess I have to do a bit of trial and error!

Back