Speculation on the Nintendo Switch's successor

• Thread starter GTxForza
  • 6 comments
Australia
Australia
Dear gamers in the GTPlanet forums

A while ago, when I was browsing for articles on NintendoLife, so here is what I saw.
https://www.nintendolife.com/features/talking-point-so-when-will-nintendo-announce-its-next-console

So I would like to see you guys share your speculation on this so here is my one.

Hardware Power:
I predict it will be in between the PlayStation 4 Pro/Xbox One X to PlayStation 5/Xbox Series X, just like how the original Nintendo Switch's performance is in between the PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 to PlayStation 4/Xbox One (Both Vanilla models), capable to run a lot of PlayStation 5/Xbox Series X's 3rd party multiplat games (Release in 2023 & beyond).

Gaming Peripherals:
To me, its Joy-Cons and Pro Controller Pad will be even better than its predecessor by having an improved control response, buttons and many other features but I doubt it will feature analog triggers so it retains to use digital triggers instead.

I'm unsure if will there be any future Nintendo Switch's successor racing games that support force feedback for the racing wheelbase, but the last one I've known was Logitech Wii Speed Force Wireless Wheel, but it's inferior to the Thrustmaster T500 RS for PS3/PC and Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S for Xbox 360/PC when it comes to the build quality, force feedback and pedals, unfortunately.

Social feature-wise:
The return of Miiverse and the ability to send messages from friends to friends, using the mic for voice chat (No matter if it's in-game or party chat) and having the built-in camera so they can share photographs.

Library of games wise:
I'm expecting the Nintendo Switch's successor is going to have a good variety of games (No matter if they're 1st or 3rd party), I'm still hoping F-Zero & Excite Truck return. Mario, The Legend of Zelda and many other Nintendo's first-party IPs will have more & exciting future installments. Plus more new IPs will appear too.

I'm still doubting there will be a Simcade racing game (No matter what party) to be as realistic as Gran Turismo PS6 installment & Forza Motorsport Xbox Series X's successor installment in terms of car handling, just like how GRID Autosport's handling less realistic compared to F1 22, Gran Turismo 7 (PS5 & PS4) & Forza Motorsport Reboot (Xbox Series X/S & PC).

And I also doubting one of the Nintendo Switch 2 racing games to be more realistic than iRacing, RENNSPORT, and Assetto Corsa 2 in terms of car handling.

Also, I do know the Nintendo console's library of driving games feels so much different compared to the PC, PlayStation and Xbox (1st & 3rd party combined) but not saying they're bad.

Sidenote:
For video games, if they're ports for whichever specific platform, as long they're well optimized, there is nothing bad if people play them because everyone can play whichever game they want to (Based on what sort of genre, sub-genre and many other things to describe that they like).

Last edited:
It might be similar to the Jetson Orin Nano 8GB so around the 1TF mark for GPU performance. CPU capabilities should be a significant improvement over the last generation consoles and closer to current generation consoles so third party support should massively increase and easier to port things over with the RAM increase. However, John Linneman of Digital Foundry suggested improved Switch has been cancelled and unlikely for a new hardware release this year so here's hoping they can change to an Ada Lovelace GPU with RT support, LPDDR5X memory and use TSMC 4nm process over the old Samsung 8nm process which would make a sizeable performance improvement and give the Switch successor a really long lifespan if they do go down that route. It would offer more than double the performance at the same power consumption and be much closer in performance of something like the Series S, at least halfway there and exceeding it in RT calculations. I wouldn't mind them keeping the 720p OLED for battery life but a bump up to 1080p and using AI upscaling to improve resolution should be a decent step up. The overall gaming performance should be very similar to Series S but with lower native render resolution but using DLSS to get closer in terms of resolution.

However Nvidia don't seem to have a Ada Lovelace GPU SoC for their DRIVE platform upcoming (Hopefully they do have it for new SHIELD devices) so another option is Nintendo could go to a different manufacturer like Mediatek and get something advanced for a reasonable price or stick to Ampere but still use the more advanced 4nm node and add RT cores to SoC.

It would be good if they use an easily user replaceable NVMe M.2 2230 drive and make all games have to be installed to that drive to function so with the IO improvements, should get much faster load times and ability to record gameplay for longer too at higher quality.

Main thing I hope they improve is input latency and controls so analog triggers will be a big step up if they can offer that for racing games. Also improvement in audio will add to the experience like the current generation consoles.

Gamewise, I am hoping they will release a new Donkey Kong game. I think you will get driving games more realistic than GT7 on it. It would be great if Sony ported their games like Gran Turismo 7 over to it too if they have no intention to make a handheld console but maybe they changed their mind and will do so with their Qualcomm partnership due to their car plans. It would be great if Microsoft port their games to it too so you can have one platform on the go with support for majority of games out there.

Assetto Corsa 2 will hopefully get ported to it, hopefully they can release it on PC this year rather than having to wait for 2024 for it which might be the case with console platforms. You should also get all the latest Codemasters racing games on it too.
Jetson Orin Nano.jpg

It might be similar to the Jetson Orin Nano 8GB so around the 1TF mark for GPU performance. CPU capabilities should be a significant improvement over the last generation consoles and closer to current generation consoles so third party support should massively increase and easier to port things over with the RAM increase. However, John Linneman of Digital Foundry suggested improved Switch has been cancelled and unlikely for a new hardware release this year so here's hoping they can change to an Ada Lovelace GPU with RT support, LPDDR5X memory and use TSMC 4nm process over the old Samsung 8nm process which would make a sizeable performance improvement and give the Switch successor a really long lifespan if they do go down that route. It would offer more than double the performance at the same power consumption and be much closer in performance of something like the Series S, at least halfway there and exceeding it in RT calculations. I wouldn't mind them keeping the 720p OLED for battery life but a bump up to 1080p and using AI upscaling to improve resolution should be a decent step up. The overall gaming performance should be very similar to Series S but with lower native render resolution but using DLSS to get closer in terms of resolution.

However Nvidia don't seem to have a Ada Lovelace GPU SoC for their DRIVE platform upcoming (Hopefully they do have it for new SHIELD devices) so another option is Nintendo could go to a different manufacturer like Mediatek and get something advanced for a reasonable price or stick to Ampere but still use the more advanced 4nm node and add RT cores to SoC.

It would be good if they use an easily user replaceable NVMe M.2 2230 drive and make all games have to be installed to that drive to function so with the IO improvements, should get much faster load times and ability to record gameplay for longer too at higher quality.

Main thing I hope they improve is input latency and controls so analog triggers will be a big step up if they can offer that for racing games. Also improvement in audio will add to the experience like the current generation consoles.

Gamewise, I am hoping they will release a new Donkey Kong game. I think you will get driving games more realistic than GT7 on it. It would be great if Sony ported their games like Gran Turismo 7 over to it too if they have no intention to make a handheld console but maybe they changed their mind and will do so with their Qualcomm partnership due to their car plans. It would be great if Microsoft port their games to it too so you can have one platform on the go with support for majority of games out there.

Assetto Corsa 2 will hopefully get ported to it, hopefully they can release it on PC this year rather than having to wait for 2024 for it which might be the case with console platforms. You should also get all the latest Codemasters racing games on it too.
Hmm... are you sure that there will be a Simcade for Nintendo Switch 2 going to be more realistic than Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo 7 for PC/PS5/PS4 & Turn 10's Forza Motorsport Reboot for PC/Xbox Series X/S in terms of driving model/physics? however, they don't need the best crash physics because they're not vehicular combat games plus it also appears the respective car manufacturers don't like to see their in-game cars have very realistic visual damage which resulted in Gran Turismo 7 & Forza Motorsport Reboot not having about 50% accurate damage model/visuals and crash physics.

Meanwhile, the original Nintendo Switch doesn't have any circuit racing games to be more realistic than iRacing for PC, Gran Turismo Sport for PS4 and Forza Motorsport 5, 6 & 7 for Xbox One in terms of driving model/physics.

Edit: Perhaps we'll see Gran Turismo 7 & Forza Motorsport Reboot both run on the Steam Deck.

Last edited:
Hmm... are you sure that there will be a Simcade for Nintendo Switch 2 going to be more realistic than Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo 7 for PC/PS5/PS4 & Turn 10's Forza Motorsport Reboot for PC/Xbox Series X/S in terms of driving model/physics? however, we don't need the best crash physics because they're not vehicular combat games plus it also appears the respective car manufacturers don't like to see their in-game cars have very realistic visual damage which resulted in Gran Turismo 7 & Forza Motorsport Reboot not having very accurate damage model/visuals and crash physics.

Meanwhile, the original Nintendo Switch doesn't have any circuit racing games to be more realistic than iRacing for PC, Gran Turismo Sport for PS4 and Forza Motorsport 5, 6 & 7 for Xbox One in terms of driving model/physics.
What I am trying to say is, you won't have to. All the latest "simcades" will be ported over to it if the platform is successful enough. No guarantees it will repeat success of the Switch as Nintendo managed to go a whole generation without any direct competition. If someone like Apple release a competitor, it will be more difficult for them and also pricing for Switch successor will likely be higher than original.

Main thing is performance should finally be sufficient for third parties to port over their games which was not really the case with the Switch (Likewise for Vita) due to lack of CPU performance, memory capacity and low bandwidth making it difficult to justify making games for it even though it has a sizeable install base. The new generation of "simcades" for current generation consoles will start to be created now that install base and supply of current generation consoles should have a sizeable increase with the new revisions this year and they should be more realistic than last generation games. The current top Switch racing game is based on the generation before that so will be like a two generations worth of improvement in one go.

I would be shocked if there is not something more realistic than GT7 on Switch successor. The CPU is substantially going to be faster than a PS4 and given how long a generation lasts, it would be odd if no one can surpass something released for a 2013 low priced console in say by 2030. It would have to be a serious flop of a console for no one to bother releasing a more realistic game on such a platform.

I really hope they can release a new console platform this year, 2024 seems ages away and does not really bring much technology improvements that can't be done for release this year. Should hopefully at least get announcement this year for it. I wonder if they will bother offering 5G connectivity option, it would be simpler just to take something like a MediaTek Dimensity 9200 and release a next-gen handheld platform.

What I am trying to say is, you won't have to. All the latest "simcades" will be ported over to it if the platform is successful enough. No guarantees it will repeat success of the Switch as Nintendo managed to go a whole generation without any direct competition. If someone like Apple release a competitor, it will be more difficult for them and also pricing for Switch successor will likely be higher than original.

Main thing is performance should finally be sufficient for third parties to port over their games which was not really the case with the Switch (Likewise for Vita) due to lack of CPU performance, memory capacity and low bandwidth making it difficult to justify making games for it even though it has a sizeable install base. The new generation of "simcades" for current generation consoles will start to be created now that install base and supply of current generation consoles should have a sizeable increase with the new revisions this year and they should be more realistic than last generation games. The current top Switch racing game is based on the generation before that so will be like a two generations worth of improvement in one go.

I would be shocked if there is not something more realistic than GT7 on Switch successor. The CPU is substantially going to be faster than a PS4 and given how long a generation lasts, it would be odd if no one can surpass something released for a 2013 low priced console in say by 2030. It would have to be a serious flop of a console for no one to bother releasing a more realistic game on such a platform.

I really hope they can release a new console platform this year, 2024 seems ages away and does not really bring much technology improvements that can't be done for release this year. Should hopefully at least get announcement this year for it. I wonder if they will bother offering 5G connectivity option, it would be simpler just to take something like a MediaTek Dimensity 9200 and release a next-gen handheld platform.
I don't like the PS Vita console as it lacked a lot of racing games that I wanted to see so, this is why I personally prefer PC, PS4 & Xbox One more than Wii U, 3DS and PS Vita when it comes to the library of racing games.

Side note: I also don't care about arcade-style kart racing games especially Mario Kart and ModNation Racers.

Last edited:
I don't like the PS Vita console as it lacked a lot of racing games that I wanted to see so, this is why I personally prefer PC, PS4 & Xbox One more than Wii U, 3DS and PS Vita when it comes to the library of racing games.

Side note: I also don't care about arcade-style kart racing games especially Mario Kart and ModNation Racers.
I remember buying a PS Vita 3G model but not really playing any games on it (Do they even exist lol). I haven't really played much on Switch too. I prefer playing mobile games as it is easier to get into and have like near steering wheel level precision with the accelerometer. PSP seemed a lot better for games than Vita as it is more like PS1 Pro portable console so you had games designed more for its power level which helped it be really successful.

I don't like the modern arcade racing games, my favourite is Super Mario Kart. It is like a simulation really given Jenson Button learnt how to drive fast on that game and he became an F1 champion thanks to that. PC seems better for racing games for FFB wheels but more chance of cheaters. Console's are better for fairer play and for using standard controller. With the Steam Deck doing reasonably well, there should be more powerful portable devices on the way in the PC space that should give sufficient performance for a decent PC racing experience. AMD's Phoenix Point APUs like 7840U or Intel's Meteor Lake should finally give enough performance to play racing games really well so even if Switch sucessor doesn't have support for racing wheels, there will be an alternative solution at least in the near future for a decent portable solution. Hopefully wait for Steam Deck 2 is not too long as it will be a cheap and well supported solution compared to others.

Anyway back to what the console spec might be. Rumour has it the new Tegra chip will be manufactured on Samsung 5nm node for the console which is good news in that it should help improve battery life considerably as well as improve graphics performance, reduce die size which should help production cost and production capacity. Hopefully rumour is true as it would have been a bit crazy for Nvidia if they made it on 8nm node for example for SHIELD TV devices as the cooling required and the size of the die would have made it considerably more expensive than an Apple TV 4K 2022 while being worse. Made sense for an early prototype. The size of the chip otherwise could have been bigger than say what might be size of a PS5 Slim SoC if that is manufactured on TSMC 4nm.

I think now there is a good chance the console will be around the 2TF+ mark docked which is great news as it brings it towards the PS4 level but with newer GPU feature set, much faster CPU performance and storage speed allowing for newer games to be ported over easier. Hopefully they update the CPU architecture (Even something like Cortex-A710 would be a big step up as would then support Armv9 and still support 32-bit in case they have legacy applications that need it.) in the move to 5nm too and GPU. I know from Nvidia leak in 2022, there is meant to be an AD10B chip which would be Ada successor to Ampere's GA10B which is what the Switch successor was initially based on but with 4 less SMs bringing the shader count down to 1536.

Rumour has it a new Donkey Kong game might launch on the new console too so looking forward to it. 2023 and 2024 are shaping up to be great years for new console releases, games and for portable computing.

Back