Sport mode NEEDS tuning back!

• Thread starter bmxmitch
  • 92 comments
We definitely need tuning Maybe PD could have a daily race setup like this

Set track - Event car - No tuning
Set track - Group 3/4 etc No tuning
Set track - Group 3/4 etc Tuning allowed

I really dislike being forced to use certain cars to even be competitive with the way this so called balance works now PD might aswel have the daily race being Certain track and player choice of 2 cars. #EuropeanHotHatches

Nah, keep it as is and nerf those two cars. Although I just did a race on Suzuka, caught up from 11th to 3rd and the two in front were a Sirocco and Audi TT or Megane, was behind second by the last fourth of the last lap. Had I started closer up front could beat them all with my F-Type Gr.4.

I don't understand why people think that open setups mean you won't be able to race anymore without building a setup. If you are driving a car right now that you're happy with, that's not going to change. This isn't NASCAR- everyone qualifies even if they don't post a time. And in my experience, there is no shortage of casual level drivers to compete with in the first place(even where I am at DR:B/SR:S). This might sound harsh but frankly, if you don't even have time to follow a setup flowchart, you aren't competitive. You aren't going to casually take home the manufacturer's championship and neither am I. That takes either innate natural talent and/or extreme dedication. Any less and there would be something very wrong and that championship would mean nothing.

People are making it sound like having open setups suddenly means technical knowledge completely trumps driving ability and that is absolutely not the case. I'd say it's still probably at least 98% about raw driver skill. By that I mean that with a perfect setup, a good driver might be able to shave 1-2% off of their overall lap time that they otherwise might not have been able to.

I'd rather they were able to focus on content instead of playing musical chairs with the BoP., especially with how poor a job they've been doing of the latter.
I've played GT before. So yes, I know how time consuming it can be. I don't want tuning in sport mode.
Perhaps one race would be ok...

I think what we need is few more races in the cycle. Say if we have 4 to 6 races per day there could be steady Nlow, Nhigh, gr3, gr4, one make and one tuning allowed. Or why not FF, MR, gr4 4wd...

What i wonder is they did not officially change the beetle, but still its not as dominant in races? Gr4 megane / scirocco then.. They just fly past anything else in a straight line..

Im for tuning in certain situations.

Daily Races - NO - All these should be 1 make races with set setups. Makes the key requirement driver skill.
FIA Races - NO & YES - For the qualification periods NO as it will provide better drivers rather than better tuners. For the finals then YES as this will allow the true racers & tuners to separate themselves.

ADD
Weekly Races - YES - 1 Car, allow tuning.
Monthly Races - YES - Set Classes, All cars available, tuning allowed but level up option is not. Give people time to test different cars, tune and race

No tuning in Daily Races please. People with tuning knowledge will be way fast and rest of the guys will be frustrated.

If its weekly then fine coz people will have chance to practice and do some digging.

Online should always be a level field. Not fair tuning in Daily races. Cant understand people not playing Sport mode because of tuning. Why but? Cant you compete with a level field?

I feel like PD will bring in more daily races once the game has been up and running for a little while and eventually these will include a tuning and non tuning race, hopefully then this will cater for the people who want to tune and the people who just want to race!

Tuning will just bring more glitch abuse, people will find unrealistic setups which would only work in the game due to a bug or loophole and leave everyone guessing. I would rather know what car is OP than spend hours fiddling with the setup.

Agreed. I think we should remember that tuning was likely removed from daily races as I think it was a N200 or N300 race had downrated N400 M4's dominating it. It made an absolute nonsense of it.

I suspect tuning will come back once PD have figured out a way to avoid this. In the meantime they are using one make races to give equal chances to all (and btw subtly changing GR3 etc races to get casua racers used to elements such as tyre wear and fuel consumption - i.e driving on 'worn' tyres with lighter car - yesterdays Gr.3).

Also just what do people mean by tuning here - does it include spending mileage points ? If so thats an even more uneven field encouraging exploits and grinding instead of practice and getting to know every corner of the track including fastest, safest and defensive lines.

With regards to tuning in FIA races this is clearly a test season and was originally weekly through November. PD clearly decided from a 'Big Data' perspective much more data was needed at a fixed level. I'm personally a little surprised to see no use of tuning in fhis weeks series as using it towards the end of the season would have been a useful test bed. Then again we don't know when the season ends - maybe it continues through December.....

Ps slightly off topic but whilst understand concern over 'dominant' cars has anyone confirmed that the Beetle or Megane is dominant on every track used so far ? Thats the data PD has and will be looking at.

No tuning in Daily Races please. People with tuning knowledge will be way fast and rest of the guys will be frustrated.

If its weekly then fine coz people will have chance to practice and do some digging.

Online should always be a level field. Not fair tuning in Daily races. Cant understand people not playing Sport mode because of tuning. Why but? Cant you compete with a level field?
I agree with you.
The problem though is with the BOP system. Nobody likes to see the same two cars in top ten :( I really hope PD can get it right with some more tweaking.
PD has to be concerned about this by now and feverishly working on an awesome update!

I want tuning, mainly because the Lambo GT3 is gash, but I've managed to tune the setup (a lot) to run 1.35.1 at Dragon Trail! (BoP on).

I'm happy with no tuning, leaves it down to driver skill. Its not like picking the Megane or Scirroco (or whatever car of the moment is) will give you an instant win anyway. I pick whatever car I feel like driving and use it, if that means midfield or back of the pack then so be it. I get more satisfaction from that than winning in something that I didn't want to drive.

I had a cracker of a race at Bathurst Grp4, punted off on lap one and spent about 5 laps just catching the field again in the Lexus. Each lap was faster than the last and then gaining another four spots before the finish line was hugely satisfying. I think I finished 8th but I may as well have won from the feeling it gave me.
That Lexus sounds ssssoooooo good.

Remember its a game, games are for your enjoyment. Enjoy them. 99% of us will never be top 10.

I will never compete with the fast guys regardless but tuning may be able to improve a mediocre tune from pd on some cars to make that car more competitive within the class against the cars that are starting with a better base tune against drivers of a similar skill set as my own.

I jumped on the GTR bandwagon for a couple of days after launch and won a couple of races but I was not enjoying racing the GTR and the wins felt sort of hollow so I went back to my beloved Vipers. I would rather enjoy racing in something I like to drive for 8th place than a win in a car I do not even like.

If real world types of results as far as affects on tire wear and geometry affects of suspension tunes are applied within the physics the crazy over the top unrealistic tunes will not work or be effective.

With current Bop locked tuning in some classes with some cars it is best just to avoid the races than be a grid filler.

IMO... If you allowed tuning, I believe the Megane/Scirocco would get disproportionately faster than the RWD stuff.

Whilst both RWD and FWD cars would benefit from toe and LSD adjustments, FWD cars would benefit much more.

Personally, I don't drive the FWD stuff... just hateful things. I'd prefer it if they weren't made faster!

Remember its a game, games are for your enjoyment. Enjoy them. 99% of us will never be top 10.
I'm pretty sure there are more than 1000 GTS players out there ;) /wise-ass off

Here's a funny concept: Couldn't PD like make a daily room for A/S, and S/S aliens where they're given a random car of the same class? Unless those people go slow on purpose to have a particular car benefit from a future balance patch, PD could gather pretty accurate data.
That said, I think the crux with most uncompetitive cars - especially the heavier ones - is mostly their gearing. So why not just unlock gearing, like TCS, and Break Balance?

Tuning or not,the "aliens" are always gonna be "aliens" and the "slow" paced drivers will always be "slow" drivers.
Tuning is gonna change these:
-Allow people that know how to tune to have that advantage agaist people that dont
-Possibly make some cars more competitive against some others (within the current state of "(un)Balance of Performance").

I'm torn. 'No tuning' is quick and easy, and 'fair'. If it wasn't for the fact that most stock tunes are pretty poor, I'd vote for that for the dailies. On the other hand, @praiano63 and others did a wonderful job supplying tunes during the beta - it only takes a moment to plug one in, and even less time to adapt one to a different track (perhaps not optimally, but good enough to have a good race).

I feel like PD will bring in more daily races once the game has been up and running for a little while and eventually these will include a tuning and non tuning race, hopefully then this will cater for the people who want to tune and the people who just want to race!

I'm not sure they can add many more sport mode races. Remember the bug when the two FIA races started at the same time by mistake, where the fields got mixed up between them? That implies they can't currently have two races starting at the same time with match-making, so it's probably stuck at a maximum of 12 starts per hour. Also explains the cycle times of 20, 30, 60 minutes.

If the dailies stick to being one each of 20, 30 & 60 min cycles and there's two FIA races to fit in per hour, then at most there's space in the schedule for 4 more 60 min cycles, or 2 more 60 min with 1 more 30 min. If they want the flexibility of being able to run three 20 min cycles for the dailies, then there is only space for one more 60 min cycle race. Of course, in hours where there aren't FIA races there are more slots available, but their system might not cope with being able to use them.

This is the current schedule:

:00 - FIA Nations
:05 - Daily A
:10 - FIA Manufacturer
:15
:20 - Daily B
:25 - Daily A
:30 - Daily C
:35
:40
:45 - Daily A
:50 - Daily B
:55

Sorry for the long-winded reply, but I've been thinking for a while that there would be a fairly tight limit and your post prompted me to work out what it might be :)

edit: Well they proved that theory completely wrong last night! With Race A and B being on 20 min cycles (which didn't clash) and Race C on a 30 minute cycle which started at the same time as Race B every hour on the hour.

Last edited:
I'm torn. 'No tuning' is quick and easy, and 'fair'. If it wasn't for the fact that most stock tunes are pretty poor, I'd vote for that for the dailies. On the other hand, @praiano63 and others did a wonderful job supplying tunes during the beta - it only takes a moment to plug one in, and even less time to adapt one to a different track (perhaps not optimally, but good enough to have a good race).

I'm not sure they can add many more sport mode races. Remember the bug when the two FIA races started at the same time by mistake, where the fields got mixed up between them? That implies they can't currently have two races starting at the same time with match-making, so it's probably stuck at a maximum of 12 starts per hour. Also explains the cycle times of 20, 30, 60 minutes.

If the dailies stick to being one each of 20, 30 & 60 min cycles and there's two FIA races to fit in per hour, then at most there's space in the schedule for 4 more 60 min cycles, or 2 more 60 min with 1 more 30 min. If they want the flexibility of being able to run three 20 min cycles for the dailies, then there is only space for one more 60 min cycle race. Of course, in hours where there aren't FIA races there are more slots available, but their system might not cope with being able to use them.

This is the current schedule:

:00 - FIA Nations
:05 - Daily A
:10 - FIA Manufacturer
:15
:20 - Daily B
:25 - Daily A
:30 - Daily C
:35
:40
:45 - Daily A
:50 - Daily B
:55

Sorry for the long-winded reply, but I've been thinking for a while that there would be a fairly tight limit and your post prompted me to work out what it might be :)

No worries, glad I could be of some help........I think :lol:

So what I read from people defending the "no setup" races, is basically, we're too lazy to tune our car!?
People who dont like to tune their cars = Lewis Hamilton :lol:
People who like to tune their cars = Michael Schumacher :sly:

But really, there just need to be more options. Otherwise this game dries out pretty fast...
Why do we have to wait until PD decides to balance out some cars? I want to do that on my own! Find the perfect setting until I'm happy with its performance. Thats the whole thrill about racing to me.
And if you're too lazy to do that....well, then you wont get the Schumacher Trophy ever...I guess :P

Agreed. I think we should remember that tuning was likely removed from daily races as I think it was a N200 or N300 race had downrated N400 M4's dominating it. It made an absolute nonsense of it.

Also just what do people mean by tuning here - does it include spending mileage points ? If so thats an even more uneven field encouraging exploits and grinding instead of practice and getting to know every corner of the track including fastest, safest and defensive lines.

I may need to add that I DONT want mileage tune to be open for sport mode! That really would ruin the races.
All I want is to set up my ride. Not tune it with more power or less weight.

So what I read from people defending the "no setup" races, is basically, we're too lazy to tune our car!?

But really, there just need to be more options. Otherwise this game dries out pretty fast...
Why do we have to wait until PD decides to balance out some cars? I want to do that on my own! Find the perfect setting until I'm happy with its performance. Thats the whole thrill about racing to me.
And if you're too lazy to do that....well, then you wont get the Schumacher Trophy ever...I guess :P
You can do it in other lobbies, nobody is stopping you.

Free or less limited tire choice would be nice as a limited tuning option especially in the tire wear races, What I wouldn't give to be able to stagger my tyre compounds to get less understeer without having to change the brake bias and ruining my braking capabilities.

The way PD is handling this game makes me feel like they never watched a racing series in their lives, they completely ignore the fact that every car needs different setups to be competitive only at that point you find out what cars are too fast, that’s the time you fix BoP. Right now they force drivers to drive FFs and RWDs with same setups, to me it’s just stupid.

I always race in the one make races just because everyone is racing with the same weapons, and it's more satisfying
winning by skill or with an op tune
Someone said tuning only makes the fast racers only shave of 2% of theire time
that's not true if i wanted to finish in top 500 in tt in gt6 i needed a tune otherwise it was unpossible

I always race in the one make races just because everyone is racing with the same weapons, and it's more satisfying
winning by skill or with an op tune
Someone said tuning only makes the fast racers only shave of 2% of theire time
that's not true if i wanted to finish in top 500 in tt in gt6 i needed a tune otherwise it was unpossible
It’s ok to race with locked setups in a spec race because if the car is unstable everyone will experience the same problem, locked setups become a problem in a class race with different cars, if a car is easier to push/faster it becomes unbalanced but not because the BoP is wrong but because cars react differently from same setups.

Back