Stability Management with Controller

• Thread starter Grogley
  • 12 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hey Guys,

So i recently moved into DR: A SR:S. using Stability Control on, TCS 1-2, all others off.

Since i moved up the people are obviously quicker and i'm not in the top 3 every race as DR:B. Although there are various grades in the race DR: A-D I'm wondering what makes the top A guys so quick, is it Stability Management Off, i have started using it but it seems to be a bonce in some areas of the tracks and not so in other. Not only that, with a DS4 it is so hard to control with a 4mm movement left or right and my left thumb is twitchy and i cant hold the dam thing steady. The slow corners are the worst, i just cant seem to get out of a corner with a GR3 car without the car loosing grip drastically reducing the exit speeds.

im looking to see how people manage the Stability Control off in DR:A and above with a DS4, or are there even people in DR:S and SR: S that use controller with Stability on? that is my next target, thanks for help.

Last edited:
your right thumb? Are you holding the controller upside down?

Or do you flip the sticks?

Sorry left

Acceleration and turning have to be done in tandom, so not so much lock plus not so much acceleration. applying the gas going round a corner is harder than in a straight line, i think it allows you to apply the gas as you were accelerating in a straight line.

If you're on the DS4 controller you can try using KontrolFreeks which extend the thumb sticks, giving you more precision steering control. Very useful for FPS games but also applies to racing games such as GTS. I use the short extensions and it makes a lot of difference compared to stock.

If you're on the DS4 controller you can try using KontrolFreeks which extend the thumb sticks, giving you more precision steering control. Very useful for FPS games but also applies to racing games such as GTS. I use the short extensions and it makes a lot of difference compared to stock.

These? Are they really worth getting?

I wouldn't worry, wait for this emergency update to land and you will be able to brake and exit perfectly with the touch of a button.... literally.

I drive without TCS, but I'm not as quick as some of the people in DR:A. I think it comes down to using a wheel, being proficient with a wheel and - ultimately - instinct and ability.

Some people have a really good instinct for what the car will do (even in a game like GT) so the reaction to oversteer etc. happens instantaneously. I am not bad at it, but there are people much better than I - people who I will never be able to match for pace unfortunately.

These kind of threads are strange, people think that it must be a technical issue which is allowing others to go faster when ultimately some people are better at it than others. I don't know the OP and their driving abilities, but rather than turning off TCS or enabling some other aid it most likely comes down to practice. Generally the 'aliens' up at the top are either people who play it A LOT (far more hours than me) or they are incredibly skilled - or both.

These? Are they really worth getting?
Yes, they're the ones and there are many types (short, medium or tall) and designs of varying prices.

I think ultimately it comes down to how often you play and how committed you are in putting in the hours. Like with anything the more you use/do something, the better you will become at it regardless of any aids/assistance.

Personally I've been using KontrolFreeks for years and love them but if I had not discovered them, I would probably still be just as fast as now using stock sticks but would have taken more time to reach that point.

I play on DS4, but I switched the stability control off on the closed beta when I couldn't match the faster guys in my tier. I started winning races not long after that.

I would turn the aids off bar maybe ABS? IMO soon as I switched to zero assists I became much faster as I learnt to actual handle and manage the cars I was driving rather than just planting down the throttle and waiting for the game to figure it out for me

Hot lapping without aids will be faster for everyone who has practice time, race pace is rarely at qualifying pace in close grids (removing the increase from slip stream).
I expect a lot of people qualify without aids and then switch them on for the race, as there is no doubt at all that aids in the race are an unfair advantage for the cars who are making contact with the non aids cars.

These kind of threads are strange, people think that it must be a technical issue which is allowing others to go faster when ultimately some people are better at it than others. I don't know the OP and their driving abilities, but rather than turning off TCS or enabling some other aid it most likely comes down to practice. Generally the 'aliens' up at the top are either people who play it A LOT (far more hours than me) or they are incredibly skilled - or both.
This.
First of all, look at those aliens' logs. You'll be surprised about the distance they clock day in, day out. We're looking at north of 1000km/day.
Second of all, you will notice that there isn't really a general consensus on what aids to use. I usually watch the top 3 lappers, and have yet to see two of them using the same combination of aids. it's usually either CS, TCS or ASM. Sometimes a combination. Some run without any aids. Some have all of them activated. From top streamers I know that they run different aids in qualifying, and race, for being fast vs. consistent and all. I think it was Z28 who said that ASM slows you down no matter what, TCS makes you slower, unless you're a sloppy driver, and CS can be faster but it can result in unpredictable lines due to its nature.
Third of all, like NJ72 said, there is a skill ceiling for everyone of us, and knowing their racing lines, breaking points, aids, and peripherals won't guarantee you a competitive time. Just like in real life, some (read: most) won't reach the top despite all their effort.

Back