Standards given some love by v1.06?

• Thread starter pantherjag
  • 235 comments
Fragglecommader
Is it just me or have the standard cars been given a little love by PD in the new update. I only ask because i was watching a bit of a b-spec remote race with my bob in the aston martin vanquish from early 2000 and it occured to me that the sheen and quality of the car looked really good.

I then with that in mind went into the UCD and looked at 10-12 cars and again got the impression that they just looked a little more polished, not premium standard by any means but just a little shiner and more vibrant.

Iv also noticed that the screen tearing while still present seems to be much less noticeable and occurs far less.

So anybody else noticed this or have i just got post update 1.06 delusional sickness lol!!!!!

I think you're right. The 1997 Suzuki Alto Works Sport Limited front-end appears to have been fixed. Somehow, before it looked worse than in GT4:

Gran_Turismo_5_Grafik_Fail_10.jpg

"After" image incoming...

I think you're right. The 1997 Suzuki Alto Works Sport Limited front-end appears to have been fixed. Somehow, before it looked worse than in GT4:

[pixelated mess]

"After" image incoming...

Woah, I've always maintained that the premium/standard thing doesn't matter, but I'd never seen that (and I have one) until now! It does look better, but it's still pretty shocking, the glitchy (aliased) wheel arches aren't great. Then look at the Kei Works. What a difference!

Hmmm going to have to check that out next time I'm in photomode... I've have to reject plenty of pics of standard cars due to either screen-tearing or just plain fugly sections of various models 👎

Woah, I've always maintained that the premium/standard thing doesn't matter, but I'd never seen that (and I have one) until now! It does look better, but it's still pretty shocking, the glitchy (aliased) wheel arches aren't great. Then look at the Kei Works. What a difference!

aliasing isnt a glitch

Well seems i may not be the only one thinking this although it is strange that theres no mention of it in the official update from PD.

Be interesting to see that before and after image from Shirakawa, im only getting before image at the mo

Ah there it is and that is quite a difference!!!!

holy cow that's a MASSIVE improvement. As much as I bash the standards it would have helped immensely if they'd just done this in the first place, just clean up those horrible jagged edges. Very nice!

aliasing isnt a glitch

Well, yeah, I know, but at first glance it looks like it's clipping badly, but then you realise it's just the pixels that make up the edge of the wheel arch moving around, which you wouldn't see if it were anti aliased. Not sure why they'd use a texture for a wheel arch and not polygons, though? I'll admit that I know next to nothing about 3D modelling and I'm also quite tired, thus not thinking.

Also that post-update picture looks far better than my Alto looks in my garage.

Comparison before/after:

Gran_Turismo_5_Grafik_Fail_10.jpg

i3los.jpg

(http://i.imgur.com/i3lOs.jpg)

By the way, GT5 really needs a straight-to-usb upload feature like GT4...

Even though I´ve seen that first picture a many times, now I think it is from GT4. Not because of the changes to the 2nd pic but look at the asphalt and the background. That pic was uploaded first shortly after the GT5 release, I think somebody tried to make the standards look extreme worse!?

No, I remember the Alto Works initially looked horrible on my copy of GT5 too.
I'm not sure if it got improved in the last patch, though.

Several other standard Kei cars appear to look better than I remember, at least their front end.
The textures there look generally sharper and more detailed than on other standard cars.

Last edited:
Would taking photos in GT4 give the cars 3D wheels? It's been so long since I took pictures in GT4 that I forget. I know the wheels were 2D during the races but I forget if taking a picture the game would render them in 3D.

I bought the Penzoil Nismo in OCD and noticed that the model was really good. And, man, there's a huge diference between the Alto Work's photos. It's incredible.

Even though I´ve seen that first picture a many times, now I think it is from GT4. Not because of the changes to the 2nd pic but look at the asphalt and the background. That pic was uploaded first shortly after the GT5 release, I think somebody tried to make the standards look extreme worse!?

That picture does look particuarly poor but you can see the driver inside. Correct me if im wrong but i cant remember being able to see the driver in gt 4, as i said been a long time since i played gt4 so could be wrong

Yeah, i was looking in the OCD too and i thought the cars looked better... good thing I am not the only one that thinks this.

On GT5 it was the only game that you could see the driver in the cars through the windows so it seems to both be gt5

Man, a little OT here but it's amazing how well GT4 holds up when using the photo mode. That's darn amazing for an almost 7 year old game!

Anyway, I think that only cars that for some unknown reason turned out to be worse than they where in GT4 got improved. They now look as good as they did in that game. This means that cars that looked bad (it seems that model quality varied much at that time too, seeing screenshots from the photo mode) still look bad (for example Daihatsu Mira TR-XX Avanzato R).

By the way does anybody have a Subaru Legacy to compare with this one?
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/655/monteasoasfalto15.jpg

Man, a little OT here but it's amazing how well GT4 holds up when using the photo mode. That's darn amazing for an almost 7 year old game!

Too true!!!! that shot from gt4 still holds up very well. digital foundry at eurogamer did a video showing gran turismo graphical progression and it amazed me just how good gt4 still looked when i seen it

I recieved a C5R off a trade last night and noticed the detailing on it looked pretty sweet.. hope the car drives as good as it looks!

Back