"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter bodger
  • 4,101 comments
You're right. Except that the standards in GT5 were awful.

I'm sure a punch in the face feels great when you compare it to being stabbed in the heart.

Actually, that's not fair. Some of the new standards do look pretty good. But they're still noticeably inferior to premiums, and they still lack some "features" compared to premiums.

They're not PS3 cars. They're still shiny PS2 cars.
Oh the upgraded standards are early PS3 quality.. Real shame they didn't update the textures on the license plates -.-

Thank you for sharing all the standard pics from GT5 and GT6. Nice to see the comparison side by side. Hopefully by the time GT7 comes out on the PS4 they will all be premium.

Thank you for sharing all the standard pics from GT5 and GT6. Nice to see the comparison side by side. Hopefully by the time GT7 comes out on the PS4 they will all be premium.

I'm a little pessimist about this, I think they'll go Forza 5 on GT7 (cut down the number of vehicles), or they're going to take about 10 years to upgrade all of the current 1200 cars :(

I'm a little pessimist about this, I think they'll go Forza 5 on GT7 (cut down the number of vehicles), or they're going to take about 10 years to upgrade all of the current 1200 cars :(
Yup. I have been saying that for many years.

GT3 was a huge step down from GT2 in the number of cars, and it turned out to be my personal favorite in the series.

Just as long as PD keeps the right cars in the lineup, then I won't complain.

GT3 was a huge step down from GT2 in the number of cars, and it turned out to be my personal favorite in the series.

Just as long as PD keeps the right cars in the lineup, then I won't complain.

I'm guessing you haven't been in the GT6 car wishlist thread in a while... :lol:
We're a tough crowd to please :boggled:

Weird... I hope they take the same approach, and I consider that an optimistic view ;).

Dropping the dead assets would do wonders for the perceived level of overall quality in the game. Quantity simply for quantity's sake doesn't hold my interest anymore.

The SPOON DC2 Integra is one of my favorite cars in GT5, and if they were to drop it from a future game just because it's a standard it would be a huge letdown.

It's one of mine too. But moving onto the PS4, I'd rather there be no DC2 than the PS2-era ones we're stuck with currently. Considering it's such an historic car, I would certainly hope PD has the stock DC2 on their Premo hit-list, at the very least. Give us some decent visual mods and we can recreate the Spoon.

I think PD has done a great job with the standards, especially that they have almost no more room on the PS3. Well done.

There is a no "room" problem facing Standards.

Am I missing something? I thought PD had used up all the potential of the PS3, and you are telling me there is plenty of space? I don't get it. :S

Am I missing something? I thought PD had used up all the potential of the PS3, and you are telling me there is plenty of space? I don't get it. :S
I think you misunderstand the reason why they still exist.

The reason why they exist is that there just hasn't been the development time to upgrade them all to premium. Apparently it takes 6 months to do a premium model. 1200 cars. You do the maths...

Zip to do with technical limitations of the PS3.

@bodger Very interesting, I have always thought the reason that there are standards is because there is not enough power on the PS3, I have been living a lie. :embarrassed:

Yikes, I'd kind of forgot just how horrible the standard cars looked. While I'm glad they are cleaning them up I would hope a GT game on the PS4 isn't saddled with these old assets. I cannot imagine seeing a car model on the PS4 with texture quality like this. That license plate texture should be a little embarrassing for PD.

@bodger Very interesting, I have always thought the reason that there are standards is because there is not enough power on the PS3, I have been living a lie. :embarrassed:
As our esteemed mod has pointed out, the PS3 wouldn't be able to handle the premiums it already has if what you are saying is true.

If it is disc space you are referring to, eventually that would become a restricting factor, but it isn't anywhere near hitting that limit yet. There is also the double disk thing that GT2 did, or DLC to overcome that anyway.

Wheels aren't staggered. Its the same upgrades as GT5, spoilers and wheels. You could also remove the factory spoiler from cars. Cant remember if you could do that in GT5

Two of my favorite cars are still standards that haven't been touched up. CRX looks worse than MR2 up close

Great shot! :) I love the CRX! First thing I'll do is to sell the goddamn Fit and buy one of these. Starting GT with a brand new car just feels so wrong. Old beaters ftw. And I'm loving the stance on it, the meaty tires :D

Latest Posts

Back