• 46 comments

bermudakid

(Banned)
United States
Connecticut
BermudaKID
BermudaKID
Star Citizen

(first video is 11 mins long, but worth the watch if you like space games)
All in game rendered footage

Chris Roberts, the creator of Wing Commander & Starlancer started a new crowed funded project late last year.

Concept:

The core concept of Star Citizen is that it’s a destination, not a one-off story. It’s a complete universe where any number of stories can take place. Players will have the opportunity to decide their own game experience. Pick up jobs as a smuggler, pirate, merchant, bounty hunter, or soldier. It’s a universe we’ve always wanted to create. We want to build a huge sandbox with a complex and deep lore that allows the players to explore in whatever capacity they want.​

Open World Architecture:

The great thing about this is that you don’t have to do Squadron 42.

You can basically decide that you’re going to be a merchant or pirate and never join the military. Having that choice for the player is fantastic. What we’re talking about here is a combination of everything that made Wing Commander great along with everything that made Privateer great. The single-player military campaign sits inside this open world architecture in a holistic fashion.

While you will probably spend a majority of time in the cockpit there will be first-person mechanics built into the game. When you are flying on some of the bigger ships (transports, carriers, etc.), you will be able to wander the halls of the ship while a friend pilots, jump on a turret if you get attacked, even repel attempted boarders if needed..​

Physics

Immersion

Ships:

Some ships are available by pledging to the project, when the game releases that one will be unlocked for you. (some will only be able to be gained by pledging)

Bengal Class Carrier

Carrier_small.jpg

Hornet

Hornetfighter.jpg

Constellation

Constellation_Mk3.jpg

Image12.jpg

Scale

Check it out 👍

http://robertsspaceindustries.com/

(will add more to op later)

Last edited:
All in Game. :drool:

No no, it's in engine. In game is something completely different, for one thing I'm pretty sure this game isn't supposed to have atmospheric flight.

Still, it looks stunning and I hope it's at least as good as X3:AP... Better would be nice, of course!

Well yea, in the atmosphere you will be flying in something like autopilot when you dock or land at stations and stuff, You can still move around in your ship but you will not be able to control it. Only because the entire planet will not be modeled.

A shame this game isn't getting more attention here. It's going to be sweet!

Closing in on 23 million $ in pledges. Pretty impressive.

So, yeah. Surprised this thread isn't more active. I stumbled upon some GamesCom gameplay last night and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. May need to get a better computer soon...

So, yeah. Surprised this thread isn't more active. I stumbled upon some GamesCom gameplay last night and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. May need to get a better computer soon...

It is certainly very cool. Good thing this came around too, when NMS released not long ago.

As for running the game, it probably won't be optimized anytime soon. So expect to drop some money to get playable frame rates.

Wow,this makes NMS look like a PS2 game. Is this the kind of graphics youd expect from PS5? This looks amazing.

Right now Star Citizen is a PC-only title, and will be for a while. Best to keep it that way as this game is nowhere near finished.

Wow,this makes NMS look like a PS2 game. Is this the kind of graphics youd expect from PS5? This looks amazing.
It does look amazing from a realism standpoint, but I'm equally OK with NMS' more stylized, artsy approach. For most people I guess it just depends on preference.

I'll stay away from the hype train until the game is finished and does what we're told it'll do.
Eh I have access to it. It is a bit basic atm and buggy as hell but it's fun.

I wouldn't expect a full release within at least 3 years though.

It is a bit basic atm and buggy as hell
Add the horrible optimisation and you got my reasoning for spending my time elsewhere :lol:
I wouldn't expect a full release within at least 3 years though.
This, however, is the reason why I not only refrain from playing the game currently but am also staying away from the hype. Plenty of time to get in on the action when the game actually nears completion.

I generally try to not get too excited over promises and PR, these days ;)

Crowd funding is fun. I supported pCARS 1, 2 via WMD, Assetto Corsa and DiRT Rally Early Access and haven't regretted any of them. Admittedly my SC backing has gone a bit higher than is really justified, but their goals are awesome for anyone who loved Wing Commander and Privateer back in the '90's.

You get to watch the game take shape, see how the developers handle feedback, test early builds (warts and all) and provide input. It's great fun and worth a price tag on top of the actual cost of the final game in my opinion.

Crowd funding is fun. I supported pCARS 1, 2 via WMD, Assetto Corsa and DiRT Rally Early Access and haven't regretted any of them. Admittedly my SC backing has gone a bit higher than is really justified, but their goals are awesome for anyone who loved Wing Commander and Privateer back in the '90's.

You get to watch the game take shape, see how the developers handle feedback, test early builds (warts and all) and provide input. It's great fun and worth a price tag on top of the actual cost of the final game in my opinion.

Pcars is actually a game I made money with :lol:

Bought SC after I was majorly fed up with NMS... really enjoyed the bit of 2.4 had to offer. Need to try 2.5 asap, but DeusEx is taking some time :)

Really enjoying SC tho, and does it look pretty :drool:

I've just purchased a pledge yesterday evening. I know it's still in Alpha but it's still really cool to see where this could go. Really good be a game of so many genres!

The "game" looks to be in a more solid state technically now. Digital Foundry had a look:

If/when it'll be released is anybody's guess though.

The "game" looks to be in a more solid state technically now. Digital Foundry had a look:

If/when it'll be released is anybody's guess though.

I wonder if there's a chance for the single player part Sq42 to come to new gen ps5 or xbox. From what i read it still needs a special server kind of meshing tech, maybe cloud can serve this? I don't know.

FROM NOVEMBER 19th to DECEMBER 1st​

Join us for Intergalactic Aerospace Expo 2951, the biggest ship show in the 'verse! In honor of the galaxy's premier aerospace event returning to microTech, Star Citizen will be FREE TO PLAY from November 19th to December 1st. Get in the game and head to the expo for all of this and more:

• Test-fly over 100 spaceships for free
  • New vehicle announcements
  • Special-edition vehicle paints and in-game items
See you there!

From now through February 25, Star Citizen is completely free to download and play. Plus, for the duration of the Free Fly, you have access to five iconic ships for free, each giving you a taste of the distinct career paths and play styles awaiting you in the ‘verse.

·Aurora MR - Iconic all-rounder
·100i - Stylish solo tourer
·Nomad - Rugged hauler
·Cutlass Black - Pirates' favorite fighter
·Prospector - Industrial miner

FL1WyoaX0AE4gkT.jpg

Last edited:
Back