Star Wars Battlefront ;)

• Thread starter dice1998
  • 898 comments
I thought free radical were working on it?
Free Radical are back in production again? It was their game originally but I'd not heard they were back in business.

...I feel bad for Lucas Arts...
Sorry, I don't. They were the ones who pretty much forced Free Radical to go into liquidation. It wasn't just Battlefront 3 they were working on, but Time Splitters 4 - Lucas Arts just cancelled the projects and refused to pay the cancellation fee as well.

Poetic justice.

Free Radical are back in production again? It was their game originally but I'd not heard they were back in business.
They basically are, just under another name.

Free Radical is Crytek UK now.
Don't forget that only 40 of the original 185 staff stayed employed. Although I do not now if at all, and if, wether Crytek reemployed some of the 145 people who had to leave or not.

In all fairness, it IS pretty difficult to mess up Battlefront. I'd be perfectly happy with an HD update of of either of the first two games.

And it's hard to argue that the teaser trailer isn't the most awesome thing you've ever seen.

I'd more prefer essentially Battlefield 3/4 but with Star Wars weapons, vehicles, environments etc.

In all fairness, it IS pretty difficult to mess up Battlefront. I'd be perfectly happy with an HD update of of either of the first two games.

And it's hard to argue that the teaser trailer isn't the most awesome thing you've ever seen.
Have you ever seen the game history of DICE LA aka Danger Close aka EA LA aka DreamWorks Interactive?
EA basically took the next best studio they had. Without Battlefront the studio probably would no longer exist (since MoH got stopped).

:scared:

But actually the singleplayer part of Medal of Honor titles wasn't thaaaat bad. The muliplayer though...

I'd more prefer essentially Battlefield 3/4 but with Star Wars weapons, vehicles, environments etc.
You mean more like Medal of Honor.

They basically are, just under another name.

Free Radical is Crytek UK now.
Don't forget that only 40 of the original 185 staff stayed employed. Although I do not now if at all, and if, wether Crytek reemployed some of the 145 people who had to leave or not.
Yup, I knew that Crtytek bought them and that some of the old FR crew are still working there now. Being a big Time Splitters fan I follow progress on that front.

I think they are looking to get some of the old crew back. Cheers for the confirmation.

Last edited:
Yup, I knew that Crtytek bought them and that some of the old FR crew are still working there mow. Being a big Time Splitters fan I follow progress on that front.

I think they are looking to get some of the old crew back. Cheers for the confirmation.
Regarding Time Splitters: A PC game is in development, although it's done by some enthusiast with help form Crytek by giving them CryEngine3 and earlier Time Splitters assets.

Oh look, news!

Star Wars: Battlefront is in development at DICE's core Stockholm studio with "veteran" Battlefield developers at the helm.

So confirmed Patrick Söderlund, exec VP of the EA Games label, in an interview with CVG at E3 today, during which he confirmed that Battlefield executive producer Patrick Bach and DICE general manager Karl-Magnus Troedsson jumped at the chance to develop a Battlefront game.

"It was almost not happening," said Söderlund of the deal with Disney that made the new Battlefront game possible.

"It was just something as boring as resources and availability. The DICE guys Karl-Magnus [Troedsson] and Patrick [Bach] were talking and I told them we were in dialogues with Disney over this deal and they just looked at me and said, 'why haven't you spoken to us? What are you doing? We want to make Battlefront'."

Söderlund went on, "DICE is a very particular place and they are very proud of what they do and you don't really tell them what to do. I didn't anticipate them wanting to work on a license - they've always been new IP or their own IP. But they were just like, 'we would kill to make this game' and the whole studio started talking about it like, 'please give us this game'."

He later said that "people that have worked on Battlefield for many years" including "Patrick [Bach] himself" are working on the new title, teased for the first time during the EA conference on Monday. "These are experienced DICE people in Sweden building this game - it's being built in Stockholm," he confirmed.

As well as the Sweden-headquartered outfit, Visceral Games and BioWare are also set to develop Star Wars games following the recent agreement of a multi-year deal between EA with Disney.

great_success.png

I am definitely looking forward to this! :D I have been a very big Star Wars for years and I absolutely loved the first two Battlefront games back when I was 13 and they all still hold a special place in my most favorite games! I have a lot of confidence this will be yet another one to add to my list! :cheers:

I have to wonder.... will they purposely hold the release of this back till Episode 7 comes out? Because I bet they will firstly want the extra hype and secondly they may want to include worlds, weapons and vehicles from that film. 2016 (well, Dec 2015) is a long time. It's hard to tell how much of the game is done by now.

One thing I loved about the Free Radical leaked footage was that you could take off from a planets surface and fly all the way up into space to join a battle there, I hope they kept that!

Elite Squadron on the PSP could do this, but it had a (very short) cut scene of you transitioning from sky to space. It was very large, and each part of it was reasonably large in its own right. Battle on ground, battle in the sky, battle in space, battle in the space ships.

Jesus. It must be a new trend with EA. Make a sequel to an extremely popular game, then make the name absolutely the same as the original, without any differences. It gets annoying when searching for things, having to specify the year, since they don't bother adding numbers to titles anymore.

I played (and still play) SWBF2...

When I heard about that in Summer I was pretty excited, but still no big news since then...

When is the next game show?

:lol: EA game with no DLC! You crazy!?

Especially one based on a franchise as big as Star Wars.

That being said, I have no problem with DLC so long as the content in the base game is plentiful. Of course the more worrying thing for me is the game being heavily biased towards online play like a large majority of modern shooters.

Latest Posts

Back