STAR WARS General Discussion | Warning: Possible SPOILERS!Movies 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 2,357 comments
Steven Spielberg won't direct EPISODE VII:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59560

Quentin Tarantino isn't interested, either. Nor is Zack Snyder, but I'm not sure why anyone cared enough about his opinion to ask him in the first place.

Michael Arndt, who wrote LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE and co-wrote TOY STORY 3 will write EPISODE VII.

Nor is Zack Snyder, but I'm not sure why anyone cared enough about his opinion to ask him in the first place.
Dawn of the Dead, 300, Watchmen, and Man of Steel?

Introduced running zombies, two close-to-the-source comic films, and DC/WB betting on a 75th anniversary Superman film revival.

Want to keep fans happy? Get the guy who stays faithful to the original source as much as possible. Disney has the Marvel guys in-house for doing a good job of that, but they are a bit busy creating a multi-film omniverse.

Dawn of the Dead
Dodgy remake.

Over-rated.

Missed the point of the source material.

Man of Steel?
Hasn't been released yet.

Introduced running zombies
No, he didn't - Danny Boyle did that with 28 DAYS LATER in 2002.

You're also neglecting to mention the abysmal SUCKER PUNCH, which attempted to combine INCEPTION and strippers with a complete lack of restraint and garish, vomit-inducing and schizophrenic CGI. It wound up as a mysoginistic mess dressed up as a tale of female empowerment with an ending that made absolutely no sense (assuming you got that far).

I thought the CGI in Sucker Punch was pretty spectacular.

Though I agree the story was ass.

Dodgy remake.
Made money and survived the fan backlash.

Over-rated.
AKA, large audience love, that you disagree with. Made money and survived the fan backlash.

Missed the point of the source material.
The closest of any Allan Moore story on film. Made money and survived the fan backlash.

Hasn't been released yet.
Will make money and survive the fan backlash.

No, he didn't - Danny Boyle did that with 28 DAYS LATER in 2002.
I may be wrong, as I saw Dawn of the Dead first.

You're also neglecting to mention the abysmal SUCKER PUNCH, which attempted to combine INCEPTION and strippers with a complete lack of restraint and garish, vomit-inducing and schizophrenic CGI. It wound up as a mysoginistic mess dressed up as a tale of female empowerment with an ending that made absolutely no sense (assuming you got that far).
I'm not neglecting it. You wanted to know why Hollywood cared to ask him. He is good (not Oscar worthy, but good) at taking other's source material and script and turning out a film that is mostly liked and makes money.

One dud is not going to end a career. I can name a dud for slmost every director, no matter how glorious their career. In the case of Sucker Punch, no one asked him to write the screenplay for Star Wars. The one difference Sucker Punch has from all his other projects is his involvement in writing.

Snyder makes movies I like watching, but watching them once is more than enough. I thought Watchmen was really good, but I don't really have a desire to watch it again, unlike something like Iron Man (though more for RDJ than the directing and plot), the Avengers or Inception.

300 had many, many, many flaws. And some of them due to the source material. It was still fantastic to watch, but a grind, and not something you'll repeat to often. Same with Sucker Punch. Both movies are very stylish, well-choreographed and full of fantastic cinematography, but style can only carry you so far. You still need to be able to make the audience care about the characters, especially in a character-driven genre like comic-book movies.

Then again, I feel Spielberg has the same problem with many of his new movies. Concentrating more on the idea than the characters. The only time I've really felt that his sci-fi/fantasy characters have spoken out or encouraged any empathy was when he had good acting leads. I liked A.I., mind you, but not as much as I should have, given the strong performances and great visualizations.

In an article that is about the question, "Will Jon Favreau or David Fincher be in the director's chair for Episode VII", I came across this gem about Disney's plans for the franchise:

Disney is said to be planning on taking the 'Marvel' approach to Star Wars and releasing a new film every 2-3 years with some that focus on different aspects of the Universe, but they're remaining tight-lipped about all of this for now. Star Wars: Episode VII, meanwhile, will move forward with a screenplay by Michael Arndt for a release in 2015.

In other words, the next three films might not be a straight trilogy as in the other films, but rather a soap opera on film, for lack of a better explanation.

In other words, the next three films might not be a straight trilogy as in the other films, but rather a soap opera on film, for lack of a better explanation.
Did you just compare my stories to my wife's stories? They have nothing in common, except alternate timelines, characters coming back from the dead, surprise parental revelations, and nonstop backstabbing and trickery.

:sly:

Really? I couldn't think of a worse director. Have you seen the trailers for STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS? They're just a mish-mash of every film that has made money in recent years, devoid of a single original thought.

Yep, we've been over this remember? You hate him and everything he does, and I'm the exact opposite.

I say bring it on. Lens flare and all. Haters gonna hate. :sly:

I don't think he'll have as much creative freedom as he did on Star Trek. you've got Katherine Bates and big George to keep him from going too wild. I think he's great at setting pace and building up suspense. The thing I'm worried about is that he's much more of a setting-focused director over character. He's like George in that he likes to wow audiences with grand scope design and over the top visuals at the expensive of much character strength.

That's what I truly miss about the old movies, the dynamic between the different core characters was so great and in fun spirit. That's all I need them to bring back to make me a happy Star Wars kid again. So while the track record with that isn't Jar Jar Abram's greatest strength, I know he's smart enough that if he were to recognize this fundamental value of Star Wars, he'd be able to hit it out of the park if he focused more on it.

People are over big visuals these days any way, movies that would've stirred up cultural revolutions 20 years ago are a dime a dozen today. We need to freshen up the box office by focusing less on 3D cgi ******** and more on creating long lasting and solid stories moviegoers can relate too and cherish.

Starwars.com confirms it.

images

Guess you weren't a big fan of Super 8 ah?

While I don't think he's merited enough to have us not worry about how it could end up, I think he still deserves a chance. This is much bigger than him and he should know that.

And he can't do any worse than the prequels in my opinion so I'm ready to go to the movies no matter what.

But I'm sure there's tons of people in your camp, I'm kind of in between. The drawback in this situation is that they could film a piece of poop and call it Star Wars and every one will still go see it, it's a guaranteed super success before the first keystroke of the script even hits. And of course, people that aren't hyped for it anymore because of J.J. and those that are totally against it even before this announcement are still going to pay money to see it.

I'm definitely now just looking forward to tracking its progress and seeing whether they're actually going to use Mark, Carrie, and Harrison again. That should be the next big news, unless the setting or treatment's spilled before that.

Guess you weren't a big fan of Super 8 ah?
Nope. Where Abrams said "I want it to be an homage to Steven Spielberg", all I heard was "I was to be Steven Spielberg".

We've all got problems.

Thinking JJ Abrams is the worst director ever is not one of mine.
It will be when he ruins the franchise in ways George Lucas could never have imagined.

They could have picked someone worse to direct Episode VII.

Like George Lucas.

Well, honestly, I think Uwe Boll could provide a nice massacre of a film, but it would still be a close call between who could do worse 8)

I'm a Star Trek fan and although I'm pretty satisfied with how Abrams handled it I wouldn't have picked him for Star Wars. I don't think its going to fit at all if he takes the formula he has used for everything else and applies it to that franchise.

Plus its going to create yet more conflict between two franchises, I'm sure many ST fans think he's sold them down the river and SW fans don't want him! I wonder who will direct STXIII (if there is one)?

Robin.

One question I must ask is what audience are they aiming for to watch this movie, the hardcore and somewhat geeky star wars fans or the more unexposed mainstream audience?

R rated Star Wars movie, with realistic take on space battles, no sound effects in vacuum, proper treatment of physics ( space ship movement, explosions, technology ) - learn from 2001: Space Odyssey : music can be a powerful story teller and please put those neat CGI to good use, a dream even in 2015.....

I bet the next episode would play just like the old ones, so unlike in space ( blazing lasers, noisy space ships, weird movements like in atmosphere ), with toned down violence, mediocre plot and bad CGI on human/creature action sequences....

Back