Starfield

Been messing around with the ship builder & while I absolutely hate the camera controls I love creating ships, especially as I've learnt how to overlap parts & hide certain bits underneath other bits which would otherwise not be allowed.

Here's my extremely originally named Series X, as I'm playing on the Series X.

950abdfc-026b-4c85-ba90-d5901ebc2d2f.png
5cbba2b4-d207-431f-bf63-ee6521c14e92.png
1cb17032-67c0-46ee-8798-893016f2e173.png
aa5fbab2-cbe2-4f4b-87f9-48a1e1ef6df8.png
cc6bf0b7-878f-4e80-b3f4-f905ece4e203.png

You get an Internet cookie if you find the docking port & shield generator.

Last edited:
Another thing to note about that large outpost landing pad is that it'll give you access to the basic ship parts from all the manufacturers, no matter where you build it. You won't see any of the more advanced and exclusive stuff, as certain structural parts, engines and grav drives have to be purchased at large settlements or manufacturer direct, but if you want to experiment with mix-and-match and don't feel like modding your game it's pretty good for a starting point.

They're also useful for registering ships if you're into, uh, "reposession", since hostile factions occasionally have contraband laying in the open somewhere on their ships and you can easily overlook it as random clutter, which makes for some very awkward conversations with sysdef forces around settled areas. :scared:
Thats really useful actually, I cannot mod the game as I am on Xbox so the fact I can get all options from my Outpost is good news.

I have stolen a few ships and I completely forgot about the potential for Contraband lying around :lol:

Been messing around with the ship builder & while I absolutely hate the camera controls I love creating ships, especially as I've learnt how to overlap parts & hide certain bits underneath other bits which would otherwise not be allowed.

Here's my extremely originally named Series X, as I'm playing on the Series X.

View attachment 1288038
You get an Internet cookie if you find the docking port & shield generator.
That looks incredible. I want to make something just like that! How long did it take to make... I dread to think

Last edited:
Thats really useful actually, I cannot mod the game as I am on Xbox so the fact I can get all options from my Outpost is good news.

I have stolen a few ships and I completely forgot about the potential for Contraband lying around :lol:

That looks incredible. I want to make something just like that! How long did it take to make... I dread to think
The general build didn't take too long as long as you got an idea of what you're aiming for, it's the little tweaks, trial and error builds, going to different ship yards for certain bits.

At first it looked very square-ish because the base build was just hubs, then I started changing parts to have more of a refined rounded look, then the trouble starts of not wanting to fit together so you use certain bits to hold bond it together then glitch build pieces over the top to hide stuff.

My shield generator & docking port are hidden in the top center curved bulkhead just behind the cockpit.

Storage & fuel tanks are hidden at the side covered by the internal wings just above landing gear.

The 4x3 sets of lasers have a range of 3000m & can obliterate anything very quickly.
20230918_131522.jpg
20230918_131812.jpg

Last edited:
Another thing to be careful of when stealing ships is if/when you start getting to further flung systems that require longer range, be careful stealing a ship that has a shorter range. I got stranded on a planet after stealing a ship because nowhere else was within range :dunce:. I tried stealing another ship but after trying a couple that also didnt have the needed range I ended up reverting to an earlier save.

Another thing to be careful of when stealing ships is if/when you start getting to further flung systems that require longer range, be careful stealing a ship that has a shorter range. I got stranded on a planet after stealing a ship because nowhere else was within range :dunce:. I tried stealing another ship but after trying a couple that also didnt have the needed range I ended up reverting to an earlier save.
Va'ruun are a prime target if you need jump range. Since they live out of their ships to worship the Almighty Space Snek (or whatever it really is), their designs generally have powerful grav drives and massive fuel tanks that you normally would need a high level of Starship Design to get access to.

That's another advantage to committing grand theft spacecraft, a good number of higher level ones have parts that you can get ahold of far earlier than you normally would be able to, so long as your piloting skill is sufficient. Just make sure you don't delete those parts if you decide to renovate the ship, cause you won't be allowed to add them back in unless you need whatever criteria they require.

I've been playing since early access and I've been...all over the place, to say the very least. Just hit lv. 31 and am doing the UC questline and I have to say, it's absolutely fantastic. I don't know what the rest of the main quest holds, but nothing so far holds a candle to the UC quests.

Absolutely nothing. If you've been holding off for whatever reason — do it and do it now.

I've been playing since early access and I've been...all over the place, to say the very least. Just hit lv. 31 and am doing the UC questline and I have to say, it's absolutely fantastic. I don't know what the rest of the main quest holds, but nothing so far holds a candle to the UC quests.

Absolutely nothing. If you've been holding off for whatever reason — do it and do it now.
All of the faction storylines are definitely hitting it out of the park and really retaining their own distinct style, I finished up earning my Freestar Rangers badge and it played out just like I'd expect a western set in outer space to be.

I'd say the only real requisite for doing the UC questline is making sure that your ship can hold itself up in a real fight, but other than that definitely don't ignore it. Or any of the other faction storylines for that matter.

I'm a complete Bethesda noob and have only played the game for about an hour to show off to my mate who is into these kinds of games.

When the Crimson Fleet attack the first time you get off the planet, should I be trying to wear their shields down with lasers and then finishing them off with missiles or should I just run away in the starter ship? I only tried once before we had to go to the pub.

Last edited:
One minute everything is peaceful, the next minute it turns into a full on bloodbath.....

Over a coffee.

I suppose I'm partly to blame, I did shoot him in the face.

Won't be threatening me again....

Last edited:
I'm a complete Bethesda noob and have only played the game for about an hour to show off to my mate who is into these kinds of games.

When the Crimson Fleet attack the first time you get off the planet, should I be trying to wear their shields down with lasers and then finishing them off with missiles or should I just run away in the starter ship? I only tried once before we had to go to the pub.
The Frontier can handle that first fight, those guys won't press you too hard. Once their shields are down you can alternate between your cannon and lasers while waiting for a missile lock, and it'll burn them down pretty fast. Just keep hammering at them with whatever you have, keep your throttle at about halfway for better turning speed and it should go pretty smoothly.

If you're ever feeling outgunned in a space battle though, grav jumping out is always a valid option. You just have to be quick in assigning as much power to your grav drive as you can to bolt out of there before they drop your shields, because that's usually the first thing hostiles will knock out when they get the opportunity.

I bet I know the answer to this already, but I have a question.

I just started No Man’s Sky. It’s a lot of micromanagement so far. Should I just toss it and get Starfield?

thanks

If you're not enjoying a game after giving it a proper go, toss it.
Where you go next, I've no idea.

Not had a chance to play in 4 days, playing this morning the game is taking long to load, and frame rate gotten worse. My XSX fan is also running hard playing the game (other games, not)... Wonder what's up with this.

Last edited:

I just started No Man’s Sky. It’s a lot of micromanagement so far. Should I just toss it and get Starfield?

thanks
Once you make progress a lot of the micromanagement stops.

personally I got bored with starfield at about 8 hours.

thanks
Starfield has a lot of micromanagement of resources, especially early on, if you decide to put time into weapon mods and outposts. If you avoid those initially and don’t pick up everything, it’s not bad. Inventory/resource management is probably the worst part about the game and I assume something they will improve with time.

Starfield has a lot of micromanagement of resources, especially early on, if you decide to put time into weapon mods and outposts. If you avoid those initially and don’t pick up everything, it’s not bad. Inventory/resource management is probably the worst part about the game and I assume something they will improve with time.
Yes, you have to learn not to pick up everything pretty quickly. There are perks to improve things as well as mods, but early on in particular, the inventory management can be cumbersome if you try to keep hoarding stuff. Credits arent too hard to come by though, so I try to keave non-essential stuff under a certain mass/price level.

Starfield and No Mans Sky are very different games to play, despite their similarities. If you have played Bethesda games before and not liked them, odds are you won't like Starfield for similar reasons. If you did like them, the give it a go.

Perspnally, I'm really enjoying it and I've barely got into the main story, there's a lot to do.

Once you have the Personal Atmosphere power feel free to hoard anytime fast travel isn't important to you.

Starfield is wonderful. It takes patience. In a world with rampant ADD and a need for instant gratification and fireworks always going off it's no wonder that some people can't get along with it. There's a lot to do and unfold and it can be overwhelming at first as there's so much to do but it seems like it takes a lot of time to do all of it because skill points don't come cheap.

An analogy to the racing game genre as we're in GT Planet might be: some people like 2 lap races like in Gran Turismo, and some people like doing 1 hour races in sims with pit strategy and letting more unfold than just going around twice and trying to pass all the bricks. Starfield is the one hour race in the sim. It can be peaceful or you can fight people all depending on what missions you take.

As a sim racer taking a break from sim racing I'm enjoying Starfield more than I ever did NMS when I last took a break.

NMS is more peaceful, Starfield is more fun.

Both are different & both are good.

I just prefer Starfield.

Francois Sanon is an absolute 🤬 🤬 on a Tuesday afternoon who 🤬 🤬 for fun, that dumb 🤬 🤬 can go off to the ends of the universe and 🤬 🤬 to death. :lol:

As I said above, already finished the utterly fantastic UC questline but I randomly (well not so randomly) thought of him and had to vent a little bit.

As much as I hated it I sided with him and didn't tell anyone because my character is UC aligned mostly.

Thanks to all who repliEd. Guess for now I’ll check out some ancient ruins and add on to my NMS base, somewhat unimaginatively named “Ledbetter Base.”

As much as I hated it I sided with him and didn't tell anyone because my character is UC aligned mostly.
As did I. :grumpy:

SPOILER WARNING BELOW. Why are you still here? Scroll back up and/or stop reading.

Last chance.

I was unequivocally prepared to tell them he was responsible for everything and have him dealt with, however, I learned the missions he gives are repeatable and give good loot. That's the only reason he's still alive: loot. :lol:

Small update 2.5G ish, small fixes apparently.

A few annoyances I have with this game....

More freedom regarding rotating ship parts.

Vehicles, I don't care if its a little buggy type thing, add a vehicle hub to the ship customization that contains something because I'm bored of running/boosting.

Which brings me to my next annoyance, why do we land so far away from our POI/Mission, just land next to the damn thing, that's why I have a spaceship so I don't have to run/boost about a 1000m to get to my destination.

Pirates/enemy's (or lack of) 75% of the galaxy is empty, even with the bounty trait if I fancy a good dog fight I have to fly to a specific place, there should be more scattered around.

Clearly the destruction of earth wiped out all forms of mobile communication, except for when I commit a crime then everyone knows, why do I go half way across the galaxy just to be told to travel half way back again, just send the information to my ships computer or a little PDA.

Controller, not in a control way but if an average pad is designed to have say a life span of 100000 presses then this game will surely push it to breaking point, the amount of presses you have to do (talking, boosting, map navigation etc)

And finally the last one, I can't say to much here just incase but I hate, absolutely hate the ****ing orbs.

Rant over, I'm going back to it now I've had a cigarette :)

Last edited:
Back