Steam doesn't download games and game updates

• Thread starter Flaren89
  • 5 comments
Italy
Italy
Flaren89
So, I've encountered first time this problem around one week or more ago, with also giving me a message error "manifest could not found". I searched the web for solution and found to change download location, tried a couple and then everything worked again with 3rd attempt, with US-Los Angeles (I'm from Italy).

Today, I've encountered this problem again. It was downloading rF2 workshop update, went through mid-way of the download and then reduced the download speed to 10KB/s. I aborted the download and tried again the change server download location, but after 10-15 attempts still nothing.

Other things I've tested:
- Clear download cache;
- Change download limit from "No Limit" to "1000KB/s";
- Uncheck "Reduce download speed when other devices stream";
- Uninstall and reinstall Steam;
- Unplug modem/router from AC, turn off everything wifi-related and after half an hour reboot modem/router + PC;
- Disable Firewall;
- Create exclusion for antivirus.

Things left me to try:
- Formatting the whole PC and reinstall everything clean, from SO and so on;
- Check ports (don't know how to read those numbers, but looks like they are open, as far I can understand);
- Check VPN issues (don't know how to do).

Note that everything else regarding connection, from websites, to Blizzard update and gaming, etc are running ok, with the usual maximum 1.2 MB/s download speed I got with my actual connection.

My worry is that soon I will change PC, if this happens also on the new one, I wouldn't be able to download and play Steam games. I'm also about to change from Cable to Fibre, networking-side.

I've seen this before and apparently changing your region to Vietnam works for some reason.

Later than my post, some in Steam community now saying was a temporary outtage by the italian ISP TIM, which I have, which blocked nationally some ports. Only way to fix was to get a VPN (which can lead to a ban on Steam if used improperly), but it seems that now is fixed by itself. Later after work gonna test again, hoping things I tried didn't broke anything.

Only way to fix was to get a VPN (which can lead to a ban on Steam if used improperly)
Worthwhile to note that 'improperly' means 'using a VPN to circumvent regional pricing when buying games'. Playing a game with VPN, or just browsing the store/community will not get you banned. But using a VPN to buy a game cheaper in a different region -> ban.

Worthwhile to note that 'improperly' means 'using a VPN to circumvent regional pricing when buying games'. Playing a game with VPN, or just browsing the store/community will not get you banned. But using a VPN to buy a game cheaper in a different region -> ban.

Just out of curiosity, if you do get banned on Steam do you lose the ability to play any games you'd previously legitimately purchased?

Just out of curiosity, if you do get banned on Steam do you lose the ability to play any games you'd previously legitimately purchased?
Depends on the type of ban. If it's a full account ban, then yes. But there are also bans that just disable store functionality. I don't think the exact rules are know to the general public, so not sure which one you get for which cases. But if you use a VPN to unlock a game early (timezone) or need it to play, there's no problem. As long as you bought it in your own region, Valve won't care (no financial impact).

Back