Steam Games To Be Playable On Xbox

• Thread starter Novalee
  • 49 comments
It's not logical at all. Game needs input, everything else doesn't.

And with advances in technology, any perceived latency issues will be addressed, so input won't be an issue. As I said previously, I was in the beta test for Google Project Stream when they used Assassins Creed Odyssey. It worked great and I had no issues at all. There wasn't any noticeable lag or timeouts. This was in 2018 too, so if they could deliver that sort of thing 3 years ago then they could certainly do it now. This is why I mention having cheaper, more affordable fast internet options available. The problem isn't delivering the games, it's having enough people have internet with a high enough speed to make it profitable for a company. With the rollout of a 5G, services like Star Link, and the forthcoming 6G we're getting closer and closer to making that a reality.

It makes sense for gaming to switch to a streaming method from a business model perspective. I'll say it again, the market doesn't care about you or me, they care about what makes them a profit. If they can ditch the expensive consoles and instead roll out a cheaper streaming device where they don't lose money, that's already a win for them. It'll also be good for the consumer too. Imagine being able to play all the latest games with only having to buy a $100 streaming device instead of a $500-$600 console. Imagine being able to play all the latest games for $10 a month instead of shelling out $60-$70 per game. Some people won't like it, but some people didn't like cars either and thought we'd be riding horses forever but here we are.

It's a logical business model once internet speeds and affordability catch up, which they are doing rapidly, I can't see any other avenue that the market will go at this time. However, new technology could come out in the near future that renders this all moot. But given how the chip shortage is expected to last through 2022, that might be difficult since that's sort of imperative to advancement.

Yeah, I know some of you long-termers still have it wrong. It seems I can't help that. The only difference now is that I have had years of like-minded company backing my intuitions.
Sure, if you say so. Either way, what I said wasn't wrong. Having a some friends that don't like something you don't like really doesn't support much, but if it empowers you for whatever reason, go for it.

It all rings a bell of how you used to harp about how useless HD TV's are because your CRT tv gets much better input response compared to an HDTV. Sure that may be true, I just never saw the major advantage of it. Is it a little better? Maybe, but not worth it really. I doubt even the biggest competitors in competitive gaming wouldn't even take that much of a step just for that little bit of help. Especially with how fast technology moves(a point that spans many things in this discussion.)

You missed a post that would have made you think twice about saying this.
Sorry for missing a post that wasn't in a thread that I replied to. Doesn't really change what I said, though. You're being abrasive for no reason to someone that hasn't done anything of the sort to you, because of an opinion that isn't shared. Not something I expected from you to be honest, but I guess everyone has their bad days.

Reading that post did nothing to change what I said.

The popularity of streaming music hasn't changed my MP3 collecting, or CDs in the car. If not even music is lost -- the first, lightest, and most rational of these things to stream -- I really cannot see any battle I'm losing here.
Then I'm not sure why you're pretending that having streaming options is going to be an end all to anything. You're not saying it outright, but you're very well parading it that way. Hell, I still collect and play vinyls from bands that barely came out a year ago on 50 year old hardware. No future advancement has changed that at all, so I'm not sure what the huff and puff is about, if only to just stroke ones own ego about how their opinion is more valid with all these definitive statements you're trying to make about someone's opinion being wrong and you being right.

I never said in this thread that streaming games will never be a thing, or never popular (maybe I said one of those before). I said it will never be the future of all gaming, which is a statement of fact. At minimum, betting against that is pointless. I will never understand what is important about that being false.
Not sure who even said that it will be the future of all gaming. Any and every streaming service introduced has never been the future of all of.. anything.. really. It's been an alternative. It's a statement of fact against something that no one said.

It just means there are other ways to play.
Quoted for truth. Because I think that's all that's been insinuated from the people you're directly interacting with.

This is a stupid argument.
Also quoted for truth.

Last edited:
If anything, I feel you're completely opposite to what you're accusing @Joey D of being, in such a reclusive way that you're seemingly being offended by the aspect that this is likely where the future is going, whether you like it or not. I think the fact that it is so close to teetering that way that it bothers you. You're really fighting a loosing battle here, whether you "keep doing that" or not.

Argument should have ended right here. Nothing much to add to a one-way conversation with a contrarian.

Sure, if you say so. Either way, what I said wasn't wrong.
I realize now you were correct (although I didn't think it was what you meant?).

My quip was that Joey is "conditioned by and immersed in technophile society". That is what I think of the present cultural moment, all around -- and I admit Joey had exhausted my patience by then, with what you agree is a stupid argument.

I concede your statement -- I am not conditioned by and immersed in this cultural moment. I slip freely between anachronisms and innovations according to my own principles, using things "no one" uses anymore and brand new toys as I see fit. That does not make me the opposite of a technophile, if that was what you meant.

It all rings a bell of how you used to harp about how useless HD TV's are because your CRT tv gets much better input response compared to an HDTV. Sure that may be true, I just never saw the major advantage of it. Is it a little better? Maybe, but not worth it really.
"Harp about". I don't need your approval to express not only a preference or simple criticism of a product, but my lived experience. I can't help being as sensitive to latency as I am.

Let's not have hard feelings over something you have misread, please. (See "Then I'm not sure why you're pretending..." below)

You're being abrasive for no reason to someone that hasn't done anything of the sort to you, because of an opinion that isn't shared. Not something I expected from you to be honest, but I guess everyone has their bad days.
Responding to what I thought was a reasonable point of view -- one that you have now agreed with -- by repeatedly denying it and assuring me in a manner of speaking that I am S.O.L., even if I am not anxious about it, came across as abrasive to me.

Reading that post did nothing to change what I said.
If nothing I've written can convince you that I am neither offended nor bothered about a future in gaming that neither you or I believe in, I don't know what you expect.

I mean what I say, and if I realize what I said has been misconstrued (which has a frustrating tendency to go really wrong when it happens, like in this instance now), I correct myself or clarify.

Then I'm not sure why you're pretending that having streaming options is going to be an end all to anything. You're not saying it outright, but you're very well parading it that way. Hell, I still collect and play vinyls from bands that barely came out a year ago on 50 year old hardware. No future advancement has changed that at all, so I'm not sure what the huff and puff is about, if only to just stroke ones own ego about how their opinion is more valid with all these definitive statements you're trying to make about someone's opinion being wrong and you being right.
Let's take these next parts slowly, please. That is an earnest plea, not sarcasm.

I don't think having streaming options is going to be an end all to anything. That was the point in the first place. I know vinyls are still a thing, which was part of the point -- I get tempted even though I don't already own a record player. I agree future advancements won't change that, which was the point. The "huff and puff" was parleying with someone repeatedly denying what you have just said.

Opinions not being up for debate was a source of abrasion. Joey told me my opinion on streaming (not the future of gaming, but my preference against adopting streaming games) means jack all in the face of a future he believes I cannot avoid. I do not debate opinions -- that is not a difficult habit to keep. You know some of my post history.

Not sure who even said that it will be the future of all gaming. Any and every streaming service introduced has never been the future of all of.. anything.. really. It's been an alternative. It's a statement of fact against something that no one said.
Please take another look:
mika haka: "Stadia gave up too easily with streaming as its the future of gaming."
Wolfe: "Yeah, that'll be a big fat 'never' from me. To each their own." (Extra context: my attitude was directed at game-streaming as a casual expression of my preference, and was not intended to be directed at mika)
Wolfe: "Streaming is like VR...it isn't the future of all gaming."
Joey: "But it is going to be the future unless something comes along that's better, which right now is nothing."
Wolfe: "I'm just tired of the refrain that streaming is the future of gaming..."
Joey: "...as of right now, streaming is the future of gaming whether people like it or not."

I had a really good day yesterday, for the record. Now I feel a little sick about how I'm being treated here.

Quoted for truth. Because I think that's all that's been insinuated from the people you're directly interacting with.
It's nice that you agree, but it is not what Joey said, as evidenced above.

The QFT is a rehash of the first phrase Joey took as a prompt to begin his argument with me:
"Streaming is like VR. It makes sense for certain genres, there's nothing wrong with being excited about it, it isn't for everyone, and it isn't the future of all gaming."

Argument should have ended right here. Nothing much to add to a one-way conversation with a contrarian.
I am happy to be a contrarian on certain things (see the top). I try not to come across as bragging about it, and some people get too excited over it (like, "OMG what, is that a FLIP phone?!"). It's not that big of a deal.

What's one-way is this dogpile. I hope I have clarified the matter a bit, because this isn't fair. I don't appreciate getting dragged over a misreading. 👎

Last edited:
Joey told me my opinion on streaming (not the future of gaming, but my preference against adopting streaming games) means jack all in the face of a future he believes I cannot avoid.

No, what I said was the market doesn't care about you or me, it cares about turning a profit. The market doesn't care about the individual, it cares about the group as a whole. It's why we have nothing but generic-looking crossovers right now in the automotive world, it's what the market wants. Would it be nice to have more choices? Sure, choice isn't a bad thing, but that doesn't equate to a profitable company.

You're being treated fine, however, if you truly feel like you aren't you should report it since it is against the AUP to harass members. I'm not harassing you though, I'm attempting to have a conversation about a topic.

I also never said it was the future for all gaming. Presenting it that way is an outright lie. There will always be niche things, but overall newer technology is the future. Streaming is the current future for music and movies, but it doesn't mean that vinyl records and Blu-Rays don't exist and won't continue to exist on some level. A 120 years ago cars were the future of transportation, it doesn't mean we suddenly got rid of the horse. Your statements come across to me like an "all or nothing" sort of a thing, which is kind of bewildering, to be honest. "The future" doesn't mean X doesn't exist anymore, it just means that Y will be the most common method.

There's nothing wrong with liking the old way of things either. I like vinyl records, I like the way they sound, I like the artwork, I like the way they feel. I'm the same way about books, I like physical books, I like turning the pages, I like the sound of cracking the binding on a brand new hardcover, I like the smell of the ink and paper. None of this means that I don't realize that streaming services are the future for music and eBooks are the future for books in general. You can like the old way but understand that things do progress and the old way gets replaced eventually.

Also, you can address me if you truly are taking issue with what I'm writing, it's cool and it's how a discussion works. Or you can continue to ignore me and twist what I said.

Not everyone who makes games is even out to sell them, Joey.

And yet the vast majority of indie developers, specifically the big ones, by this point are effectively either AA devs/publishers, or second party devs in a publisher's stable. So yeah. This argument holds water more with people who make a game for free and distribute it for free - the vast majority of indie game devs know that their games are being made to be sold, and that profit is ultimately make, or break. That's more or less the system they play, and they seem to be happy with it.

There's nothing wrong with liking the old way of things either. I like vinyl records, I like the way they sound, I like the artwork, I like the way they feel. I'm the same way about books, I like physical books, I like turning the pages, I like the sound of cracking the binding on a brand new hardcover, I like the smell of the ink and paper. None of this means that I don't realize that streaming services are the future for music and eBooks are the future for books in general. You can like the old way but understand that things do progress and the old way gets replaced eventually.

This is ultimately the crux of the issue. The fact of the matter is that there will always be an old way for people to indulge in if they wish to do so. You're free to use it, free to find it. But like you said, companies move by the winds of what makes them the most amount of profit, and more often then not, what the consumer wants. And if the consumer is wanting easier options for getting content (ergo, streaming) then that's what the companies will swing towards. What are you supposed to do, ignore the customer? Good job, you've turned into Nintendo who more or less operates under an ass-backwards principle, and more often then not has burned a fair few bridges with consumers with their gonzo decisions with regards to the consumer (limited time release of Super Mario 3D All Stars, anyone?) and with devs especially (Ninty's sordid history with Western parties of any stripe)

But this entire topic seems to be predicated on one person, who's views on anything somewhat modern boil down to It's Bad, with the old way more or less often The Best Way, misunderstanding that ultimately, things change, but people are still going to have the option to go at it other ways if they wish to find it. And that ultimately, consumers drive what companies do changing habits of playing games and interacting with content in general.

I'm going to be real, I mostly agree with Wolfe's estimations. I also disagree with your estimations Joey that the industry will pivot towards streaming entirely in the near future - mainly because you're also cutting out middle men like Best Buy and Gamestop (for however dead it is) and especially online retailers who still stock physical games, who now basically have no way to off load what is essentially dead stock except to a group of rapidly shrinking people.

My specific problem with Wolfe's argument is that it is painted in this sort of sneering way that speaks to me, at least, of someone who views their opinions quite highly, while also seemingly being unable to realize that differing forms of media consumption have, and will continue to be, mostly in harmony. You see it in film, you see it in books, and you'll see it in video games. The problem comes when you walk in basically saying something to the effect of 'modern progress is bad, I also play indie games the majority of the time and think they are a purer expression of the artform' like come on. This is such a haughty goddamn way of trying to make an argument.

Last edited:
I also disagree with your estimations Joey that the industry will pivot towards streaming entirely in the near future - mainly because you're also cutting out middle men like Best Buy and Gamestop (for however dead it is) and especially online retailers who still stock physical games, who now basically have no way to off load what is essentially dead stock except to a group of rapidly shrinking people.

I'll admit, I don't follow the console market as closely as the PC market, but isn't this already happening? I have to imagine that the middle man is losing ground to digital distribution. With PC gaming, I'm not even sure you can buy physical copies of games anymore since almost everything is released through Steam, Epic, Origin, or GOG. I think the last time I tried to buy a physical PC game, it ended up just being a code inside a case where you went and downloaded it from an online storefront.

As for cutting out the middle man, I can see retailers like Amazon embracing streaming since they certainly have the resources to roll it out properly. Call it "Prime Gaming" or whatever and deliver it through the Fire Stick. Gamestop is probably on life support and the last time I went into Best Buy it was nothing but phones, appliances, and TVs with games being an afterthought. It might just be the Best Buy around me though since I know they used to have a massive game section once upon a time. Obviously, this could all change, but I have to imagine once the kinks are worked out of streaming you'll see fewer and fewer copies of physical media being offered so it, in theory, should sort itself out.

I'm going to be real, I mostly agree with Wolfe's estimations. I also disagree with your estimations Joey that the industry will pivot towards streaming entirely in the near future - mainly because you're also cutting out middle men like Best Buy and Gamestop (for however dead it is) and especially online retailers who still stock physical games, who now basically have no way to off load what is essentially dead stock except to a group of rapidly shrinking people.

Streaming media is currently in the same state as moving all automobile sales to electric vehicles exclusively by 2050.

There are a lot of kinks to work out. The current leader is Tesla, solely because of their developed charging network. Tesla in this case, could be likened to the market of PCs and the exclusive streaming service NVIDIA GeFORCE Now. Which works really really well, but is limited to PC.

The other manufacturers, in the States, rely on Electrify America for the charging grid. Electrify America has a lot of kinks and glitches they need to work out. It's not as smooth as the Tesla stations, nor as elegant. Electrify America would represent everyone else getting into the gaming streaming business, mostly consoles.

Whether we like it or not, this is where we are headed because corporations are pouring a lot of money and marketing into it. Not all of us want to drive an electric car by 2050, but that's where we're headed. Not all of us want to stream games, but that's where that industry is headed.

Everything is going go be digital with people owning strings of code. I mean for Christ's sake, look at the NBA. They're not selling NBA player cards anymore they're marketing video clip highlight packs. You spend your hard earned money on a pack that contains three clips, and the value of those clips is reliant on the serial number given. If the serial number is low, that clip has a lot of resale value.

last time I went into Best Buy it was nothing but phones, appliances, and TVs with games being an afterthought. It might just be the Best Buy around me though since I know they used to have a massive game section once upon a time.

No it's universal. They've been going under for nearly 8 years now. Their brick and mortar stores don't stock anything good, everything is online.

I mean for Christ's sake, look at the NBA. They're not selling NBA player cards anymore they're marketing video clip highlight packs. You spend your hard earned money on a pack that contains three clips, and the value of those clips is reliant on the serial number given. If the serial number is low, that clip has a lot of resale value.

Is this correct? I was under the impression Topps, Upper Deck and the like still made NBA cards, and it was just NBA doing the Top Shot thing. Certainly, as the pandemic has gone along, sports card interest has exploded, but I can only speak to the two sports I follow with regularity in baseball and hockey, with grading going absolutely bonkers for decent, in demand cards that have been pulled.

Is this correct? I was under the impression Topps, Upper Deck and the like still made NBA cards, and it was just NBA doing the Top Shot thing. Certainly, as the pandemic has gone along, sports card interest has exploded, but I can only speak to the two sports I follow with regularity in baseball and hockey, with grading going absolutely bonkers for decent, in demand cards that have been pulled.

Ehh it was more of a gross exaggeration as a supporting argument for a tangent I went on. Trading cards have boomed, but the league embracing an NFT model is kinda concerning, in my opinion; I'm just projecting at this point. (Yes I know that Trading Card manufacturers are independent from leagues, in some ways)

Last edited:
That does not make me the opposite of a technophile, if that was what you meant.
I know you're not, outright. It just really seems like it with the way you are going about it.

"Harp about". I don't need your approval to express not only a preference or simple criticism of a product, but my lived experience. I can't help being as sensitive to latency as I am.

Let's not have hard feelings over something you have misread, please. (See "Then I'm not sure why you're pretending..." below)
Um... where did I say or even insinuate of the sort? You posted something, I posted something. That's all there really was to it, we're disagreeing. I'm not telling you how to think. Weird how you're picking up on a victim complex all of a sudden. That literally was just an observation that lined up perfectly with what you're doing here, just right now you're being off-putting about it for whatever reason.

I have no hard feelings towards you or your opinion. I'm just being blunt for what is seemingly a massive overreaction towards everyone discussing with you.

Responding to what I thought was a reasonable point of view -- one that you have now agreed with -- by repeatedly denying it and assuring me in a manner of speaking that I am S.O.L., even if I am not anxious about it, came across as abrasive to me.
Well, it wasn't. You're really the only one that decided to take it that route, so I reciprocated very bluntly. Either way, looking at the way things are progressing with technology, I would imagine that at one point, yes, you are going to be S.O.L with the future of gaming, and you're going to have to adapt at least a little bit.

If nothing I've written can convince you that I am neither offended nor bothered about a future in gaming that neither you or I believe in, I don't know what you expect.

I mean what I say, and if I realize what I said has been misconstrued (which has a frustrating tendency to go really wrong when it happens, like in this instance now), I correct myself or clarify.
Nothing really. I'm not trying to sway you, I'm merely addressing things you're doing and saying.

If I'm honest here, the only reason it's "going really wrong" is because the way you chose to address things.

Let's take these next parts slowly, please. That is an earnest plea, not sarcasm.

I don't think having streaming options is going to be an end all to anything. That was the point in the first place. I know vinyls are still a thing, which was part of the point -- I get tempted even though I don't already own a record player. I agree future advancements won't change that, which was the point. The "huff and puff" was parleying with someone repeatedly denying what you have just said.
I'm going to be straight out. If you don't like the people respond to you maybe check how your responses went in the first place.

I know it was the point. Which also makes it confusing about how you're going on about it as if this is what everyone's saying when it's literally not. Which makes it a bit confusing now that you toned it down, because that's not how it was coming across at all, and it seems I'm not the only one that thought that.

it isn't for everyone, and it isn't the future of all gaming.
You were the only person that mentioned it being the future of all gaming. It's not, and I think this is where the mix up is coming from, because your choice of words. It's looking very much like that is going to be the future, because a lot of things are pointing that way. It looks more likely than not at this point, and that's why it's weird why you're denying it so. Not sure what the links are helping, I have read the thread.

You're being treated in kind, so I don't know what to tell you - Weird how you decide to address people on your good day though. There's literally no hard feelings, if you want to take offense that's up to you. I'm not going to apologize for going a route you chose to go down, though. Why don't we put those feelings aside and just move on with this.

Last edited:
Back to the matter at hand. From the title alone I really hoped that Microsoft and Valve had come to some sort of agreement and added streaming functionality to the XBOX. I thought this was another take at the Steam Link but exclusive to XBOX, which would, in my opinion, massively boost sales.

Microsoft for years has been trying to market the XBOX as a multimedia device. Stepping away from the status quo of console gaming and painting their consoles as more than just gaming machines.

Instead we got an article about the possibilities you can achieve by using the internet browser app for it's non-intended purpose.

Apart from "gaming", that means you can finally use Jellyfin on your XBOX by using the web client. This would put the developer(s) of Jellyfin at ease knowing they have one less client to worry about making a functioning app for. So that's honestly a great thing.

Last edited:
Back to the matter at hand. From the title alone I really hoped that Microsoft and Valve had come to some sort of agreement and added streaming functionality to the XBOX. I thought this was another take at the Steam Link but exclusive to XBOX, which would, in my opinion, massively boost sales.

Microsoft for years has been trying to market the XBOX as a multimedia device. Stepping away from the status quo of console gaming and painting their consoles as more than just gaming machines.

Instead we got an article about the possibilities you can achieve by using the internet browser app for it's non-intended purpose.

Apart from "gaming", that means you can finally use Jellyfin on your XBOX by using the web client. This would put the developer(s) of Jellyfin at ease knowing they have one less client to worry about making a functioning app for. So that's honestly a great thing.
It clearly says in the article i posted that xbox fully intends to bring pc games to the xbox . Thats why they are working on a fully functional edge browser. they dont need to make a deal with valve or any other platform like epic or who ever if the browser works like it does on my pc .

I suspect the longer play here is windows on the xbox . Then the xbox becomes a next gen console and a pc .

It clearly says in the article i posted that xbox fully intends to bring pc games to the xbox . Thats why they are working on a fully functional edge browser. they dont need to make a deal with valve or any other platform like epic or who ever if the browser works like it does on my pc .

That is NOT why they're working on a fully functional edge browser.

The Verge
Microsoft’s head of Xbox, Phil Spencer, has already recently committed to bringing full PC games to the Xbox through the company’s Xbox Cloud Gaming (xCloud) service.

PC games are meant to be streamed, eventually, through their proprietary xCloud service NOT through the Edge browser.

The Verge simply hacked through it by using Parsec through the browser, and NOT using the browser for its intended purpose. All they did, was test mouse and keyboard functionality and fulfilled their curiosity by trying out some games through a third-party service, accessed through the Edge browser. (Input lag galore )

My point was having direct Steam access on the XBOX through a merger/deal with Microsoft and Valve. This is not what's happening right now; Microsoft is continuing to use their xCloud service.

The closest thing we have to full access of Steam games is through Steam's new Remote Play Together function, and even then, that's just a shared play functionality not a direct stream of your own personal library. To add to this mess, not all games support it.

A damn $10 Steam Link does the job so much better than a $500 console streaming games through a browser app. It's pathetic. Right direction, but pathetic.

Last edited:

I suspect the longer play here is windows on the xbox . Then the xbox becomes a next gen console and a pc .

I don't see why having an Xbox version of Edge makes you think that actual PC games running on Xbox is going to be a thing... Ok so you have an Xbox Edge browser....How does that help you launch, Run and Play PC games?

What's happening almost certainly is Xbox are going to push streaming PC games to XBOX, And you are getting an Xbox version of Edge because they have finally made a decent PC browser that isn't total garbage and they are trying to capitalise on it as much as possible.

Last edited:

PC games are meant to be streamed, eventually, through their proprietary xCloud service NOT through the Edge browser.

The Verge simply hacked through it by using Parsec through the browser, and NOT using the browser for its intended purpose. All they did, was test mouse and keyboard functionality and fulfilled their curiosity by trying out some games through a third-party service, accessed through the Edge browser. (Input lag galore )

My point was having direct Steam access on the XBOX through a merger/deal with Microsoft and Valve. This is not what's happening right now; Microsoft is continuing to use their xCloud service.

The closest thing we have to full access of Steam games is through Steam's new Remote Play Together function, and even then, that's just a shared play functionality not a direct stream of your own personal library. To add to this mess, not all games support it.

A damn $10 Steam Link does the job so much better than a $500 console streaming games through a browser app. It's pathetic. Right direction, but pathetic.
I disagree . I know what the article says as i rea

" Phil Spencer, has already recently committed to bringing full PC games to the Xbox through the company’s Xbox Cloud Gaming (xCloud) service."

I already use geforce now and it works great for me on a average connection so this would be enough for me to get a xbox over another brand .

I also think windows will come to xbox down the road , then its basically a pc and console in one .

This is one communication breakdown after another...

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Back