Steam sale thread: Summer 2017 Edition

sesselpupser

Bearded Member
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
neema_t
So, what have you bought? What will you buy if it goes on sale? What are you trying to decide over?

Personally, I've already bought:
Myst: Masterpiece Edition (which, surprise surprise, doesn't work even though I researched to see if it would work on Windows 7 with or without some work)
Riven
DCS: Black Shark (let's hope THAT works, unlike DCS: A-10C, but I haven't tried too hard to make that work)
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
Payday: The Heist
Cargo! Quest for Gravity (just because it looked like fun).

I will be buying STCC The Game and STCC The Game 2 next time I'm on my PC and I'm deliberating over Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit because I've heard it's pretty good, The Run is for sale on Origin but I heard it's not as good as Hot Pursuit... Can anyone convince me otherwise or put me off the game entirely? Either way, a NFS franchise sale isn't unlikely so I'll wait until the last day, but I really like Criterion as a developer so I suspect HP will be pretty good.

I've passed on Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Max Payne 3 and Alan Wake for not being cheap enough, I'd want to spend £5, £10 and £very little respectively because I've got an Assassin's Creed backlog, I've played what I think is 4/5ths of Max Payne 3 already on my brother's PS3 copy and I'm not hugely fussed about Alan Wake but I am curious about it; I think I'll wait for a better discount (or, rather, the same discount but after they've reduced the price a little).

I want Arma II: CO to go on sale so I can get it for a friend of mine, but apart from that there's honestly not that many games I want that I don't already have. There are always surprises, but nothing I can think of so far. For one thing I never would've said that I wanted Payday, but for £3.74 I did.

How about you guys?

Last edited:
At what time do the daily deals reset each day? Midnight GMT? I got an announcement that the new deals are up but it's not visible on the Steam website.

Skyrim
Dead Island
Orcs Must Die!
Dirt Showdown
Tropico 4
Two Worlds II
Borderlands
Frozen Synapse
Indie Bundle (Bunch of Heroes, BIT.TRIP:BEAT, Braid, Runespell: Overture, Insanely Twisted Shadow)​

Apart from that, I bought quite a few games.

Bioshock 2 - 5€
Batman: Arkham City - 18€
Star Wars: Republic Commando - 5€
Sniper: Ghost Warrior - 5€
Audiosurf - 2.50€

And for the missus:

Portal 2 - 10€
Sonic Generations - 10€

I bought Arma II:CO the day before the sale. :facepalm:

That's always the risk you take with Steam, I won't make it worse by telling you Bohemia themselves have been selling the Steam version of CO at 25% off for weeks now. Oh wait, oops... Still, if the vanilla game is your kind of thing AND you want it for Day Z then it's easily worth whatever you paid for it.

At what time do the daily deals reset each day? Midnight GMT?

Apart from that, I bought quite a few games.

Bioshock 2 - 5€
Batman: Arkham City - 18€
Star Wars: Republic Commando - 5€
Audiosurf - 2.50€

And for the missus:

Portal 2 - 10€
Sonic Generations - 10€

Republic Commando is an awesome game, that was a particularly great choice! I forgot about Sniper: Ghost Warrior, I've heard pretty bad things but if it's cheap enough I might... Oh, no, just checked; £4.99. If it had been £2.50 that would've been a sale.

Edit: Oh and the daily deals are at 1800GMT, which is five minutes ago, but the previous day's go on until midnight now.

New daily deals:
Borderlands: -75%
Dead Island: -66%
Frozen Synapse: -90%
Orcs Must Die: -75%
Skyrim: -50%
Two Worlds II: -75%
Dirt Showdown: -50%
Indie Bundle III (BIT.TRIP BEAT, Braid, Bunch of Heroes, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Runespell: Overture): -75%
Tropico 4: -75%

Of those I'd say the first three are worth checking out, Dead Island less so than the other two though at that price. In the UK at least the Borderlands GOTY (with all the DLC) is the same price as without the DLC, and at £4.99 is a brilliant deal (as if anyone interested doesn't already have it!). Frozen Synapse is a great turn-based tactical shooter, in case you were wondering.

Edit again:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is super cheap in the current flash sale, that's a lot of gameplay per unit of currency right there...

Last edited:
Yeah, I bought it for Day Z. And I'm honestly not that impressed with it, even though it's just an Alpha.

Far be it for me to tell you how to live your life, but Arma II is unique and excellent (as long as you don't have any AIs on your side) and I implore you to give it a decent go without Day Z. Just make sure that 'decent go' isn't squandered playing offline because it's only really good playing online co-op.

I bought Mass Effect 2, was also thinking about buying Race Injection, the Sega Collection also interests me but I doubt I'l buy it.

You can also get the Dirt Mega Pack which includes Dirt 1, Dirt 2, Dirt 3 and Dirt Showdown all at discounted prices.

I love Steam and Onlive because of sales like this. I mean, I picked up Portal 1 & 2 for under $10 during one of these sales. In fact, you should NEVER pay full price for the big name titles on steam, eventually, they'll be on sale and you can get them cheap. Case in point: I bought Driver San Fran for $30, about a week or so later, it was on sale for like $15.

I bought Mass Effect 2, was also thinking about buying Race Injection, the Sega Collection also interests me but I doubt I'l buy it.

I would heartily recommend Race Injection, except I've just noticed that it doesn't appear to include GTR Evo... If that's true then I might actually change that recommendation! It seems that Race Injection only adds STCC The Game 2, Formula RaceRoom (which is free), GT Power, Retro and WTCC 2010. Now, I personally think GTR Evo is essential, WTCC 2010 isn't, GT Power only adds three cars and two tracks (but is worth it for the Zonda R alone at £1.74) and STCC The Game 2 is really not essential.

If you want all the Race 07 content then it's good, but you pretty much HAVE to buy GTR Evo because of the Nurburgring and all the cars it adds (there's a lot of them). Race On is quite good too if you like Laguna Seca and modern American muscle cars, the International Formula Master is fun also. Not sure about STCC The Game. I feel like I'm contradicting what I said in the Simbin thread but I had no idea Race Injection didn't add GTR Evo nor Race On.

You can also get the Dirt Mega Pack which includes Dirt 1, Dirt 2, Dirt 3 and Dirt Showdown all at discounted prices.

I love Steam and Onlive because of sales like this. I mean, I picked up Portal 1 & 2 for under $10 during one of these sales. In fact, you should NEVER pay full price for the big name titles on steam, eventually, they'll be on sale and you can get them cheap. Case in point: I bought Driver San Fran for $30, about a week or so later, it was on sale for like $15.

While Steam is pretty good, no, the best for sales like this, but there are occasionally better places; not long ago they had an Ubisoft sale on Steam where Driver: SF was £7.50 but on GetGames it was £5, also if a game you want is available on GOG.com you should NEVER consider buying it from Steam, I made this mistake yesterday with Myst. The GOG version has recently been patched to work on Windows 7 64-bit but the Steam version hasn't, so I now really regret potentially wasting £4 on buying the Steam versions of both Myst and Riven, even though they're both $8, I think, on GOG (but they're far more likely to work!). I also hardly ever buy indie games from Steam because of the numerous 'pay what you want' indie bundles, which have incidentally ruined all of the upcoming Indie Bundles on Steam because I've seen the list and I've got at least one game in each bundle already. Amazon is also pretty good for sales lately. savygamer.co.uk is a great place to find sales (following them on Twitter is even better), granted it's a UK-based site but the UK-only sales are relatively uncommon.

Last edited:
At the moment HL2 is on the voting pane for a 75% discount. I'm sure it'll win. This is what I'll buy:

Dead Island (67 off - purchased it)
Half-Life1 (Have to wait on daily deal)
Half-Life2 (Have to wait on daily deal which comes in 4 hours)
Amnesia (Have to wait on daily deal)

And not sure what else. What do you recommend?

I purchased the Portal Bundle and Terraria as part of the summer sale. Nothing else yet as I am low on funds.

At the moment HL2 is on the voting pane for a 75% discount. I'm sure it'll win. This is what I'll buy:

Dead Island (67 off - purchased it)
Half-Life1 (Have to wait on daily deal)
Half-Life2 (Have to wait on daily deal which comes in 4 hours)
Amnesia (Have to wait on daily deal)

And not sure what else. What do you recommend?

What have you got? If you don't have Borderlands but you got Dead Island I definitely recommend that (with the DLC), if you like RPGs, Bioware and Star Wars then SW: KOTOR is good (might be a little overrated). As mentioned, Race 07 is severely cheap right now at £1.74 for the base game, if you don't have that but do any PC sim racing I can't recommend that with at least GTR Evo enough.

Amnesia's a great choice even if I am far too terrified to actually play it since getting it for the equivalent of £0.80 (or something, it was really cheap) in an indie bundle.

bought portal 2, trine 2 and just got orcs must die

I'm waiting to see if arma 2 CO will hit the daily deal(I'm guessing there's a high chance that it will since it's so popular) and I'm also on the lookout for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R pack

as for this daily deal, borderlands is a steal for 5€, as is orcs must die

What have you got? If you don't have Borderlands but you got Dead Island I definitely recommend that (with the DLC), if you like RPGs, Bioware and Star Wars then SW: KOTOR is good (might be a little overrated). As mentioned, Race 07 is severely cheap right now at £1.74 for the base game, if you don't have that but do any PC sim racing I can't recommend that with at least GTR Evo enough.

Amnesia's a great choice even if I am far too terrified to actually play it since getting it for the equivalent of £0.80 (or something, it was really cheap) in an indie bundle.

I have Trine 2, Portal, Portal 2, Skyrim, TF2, Magicka and Dirt 3. What can you tell me about Borderlands?

Regarding GTR and Race07... They're just so old looking and I don't feel they're worth it right now in 2012. I have iRacing and LFS.

So far:

• Darksiders
  • Borderlands GOTY
  • Bioshock
  • Bioshock 2
  • Alice: Madness Returns
  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
  • Saints Row: The Third
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

I've been too stuck in to PCars to even notice this! Going to have a little look right now and I have some p's in my paypal. :)

I have Trine 2, Portal, Portal 2, Skyrim, TF2, Magicka and Dirt 3. What can you tell me about Borderlands?

I can tell you that it's something of a marmite game, some people love it and some hate it. The interfaces don't work on PC that well, the FOV is stuck on a really narrow setting with no good way to change it, the environments are quite samey and dull, there are few voiced NPCs and none of the NPCs actually move and you have to be really sure you like the art style.

However the game is huge, much bigger than Dead Island, with large open areas to explore and enemies that, while lacking in variety, put up a good fight. There are something like 27 million guns in the game and although a lot of those 27 million are practically identical but with some values differing by 0.1 units, there still a huge variety. The reason I said 'if you bought Dead Island then look at Borderlands' (or whatever it was) is because Dead Island is essentially Borderlands but smaller, more colourful and with melee weapons and zombies instead of guns, alien creatures, bandits, space marines, zombies (in one DLC), robots and so on. With the DLC combined you'd easily get 100 hours out of the game plus two playthroughs, but you HAVE to play it with at least one person otherwise it's quite monotonous. There's also a lot of humour, it's rare for me to laugh at a game but Borderlands did get a few from me.

In fact I'd say it's something of a cult game, it's got a strong following but it's by no means popular or perfect, I suppose all I can really recommend is that you watch Youtube videos and decide whether you want to gamble on it. Personally it's one of my favourite games of this generation and one of my favourite games of all time, but there's no accounting for taste.

Regarding GTR and Race07... They're just so old looking and I don't feel they're worth it right now in 2012. I have iRacing and LFS.

That's certainly true enough, you do get a lot for the (extremely low) price but if you have other favourites then it's not worth it.

Edit: What's Magicka like? I see it come up for sale pretty much all the time but I've never been moved to buy it because I've heard it's not great. Looks like they have a sense of humour though, the Vietnam DLC artwork made me laugh.

noob question

can you use a wired xbox controller on the PC for borderlands? I play skyrim that way on the PC and I love it.

I've always heard good things about borderlands

I believe you can. I think it's just the DS3 where you need to be slightly creative in order for it to work on PC games. Just map the keys to the controller and you should be set

Well, Amnesia is up as a choice in the community, er, choice sale so I'll vote for that on Coxis' behalf (also I already have L.A. Noire and I don't want Alan Wake!). I hope no one wanted Brink as that's just ended, and it's also a terrible game that died shortly after release...

It's nothing to do with the summer sale but my Mum had a GAME reward card from when my brother was younger and bugging her to buy him games all the time, it had £34.50 on it so I bought Uncharted 3 and £10 of PSN credit for £0.47, which was nice.

New flash sale: The Witcher 2 at 60% off (£11.99 in the UK).

Well, Amnesia is up as a choice in the community, er, choice sale so I'll vote for that on Coxis' behalf.

👍

Also the previous vote just ended and HL2 didn't win... I'm all sadface right now. I'm sure it'll come up as a daily deal poll or no poll but I was hoping to spend my money today! I hope Amnesia wins, although I doubt it.

How is Left 4 Dead 2? The latest community choice and it's dirt cheap for a highly rated game. I'm at work right now though and so no YouTube to see gameplay unfortunately.

What can you tell me about Borderlands?
I can tell you that it is fantastic, and fantasticx1000 when you're playing with friends. Let's just say that if I only had $7.50 and could only spend it on one thing, Borderlands would be it ;)

can you use a wired xbox controller on the PC for borderlands?
You can, but it's still infinitely better with mouse+keyboard...

I'll think about it and look it up on Youtube. Thanks.

neema, Magicka is just great. It's a fun little game. What you probably heard is that it is buggy, which was the case when it was first released. It was so buggy it was downright unplayable but now it's nice. You get 8 magic elements which you have to combine to create powerful spells. What I like about it is that it's so silly because it has so many pop culture references, plus there is absolutely no hand holding. No auto target, no health globes, friendly fire is always on, the thing is difficult and you can play with up to 3 friends (I think, but there's definitely coop play).

It's a great game. In fact, if you buy it hit me up and we'll play as I've yet to play coop. :)

How is Left 4 Dead 2? The latest community choice and it's dirt cheap for a highly rated game. I'm at work right now though and so no YouTube to see gameplay unfortunately.

If you've played Half Life 2 or any other Source game you already know how it handles, then add a lot of zombies and other humans who you have to heal and be healed by when you get taken down, plus special infected who do other kinds of stuff like snare people from a distance, jump on your back and ride you away from the group, charge at you and knock you down and such, each requiring a different tactical approach which most often consists of shooting with guns, come to think of it.

It's a lot of fun for the price but as I seem to be saying a lot lately, much better with friends. I've heard it's a good LAN party game too, if you ever do that sort of thing.

I just bought Dirt 2 for 3 quid.

Good call, Dirt 1 is still pretty decent too, but the most important thing is it features Pikes Peak. And Big Rig racing which is just the most hilarious thing I've ever seen.

It's a great game. In fact, if you buy it hit me up and we'll play as I've yet to play coop. :)

Will do, to be honest though it would have to be better than a 50% sale because I'm sure I've seen this up for next to nothing before now. When it next hits 75% off I'll think about it.

If you've played Half Life 2 or any other Source game you already know how it handles, then add a lot of zombies and other humans who you have to heal and be healed by when you get taken down, plus special infected who do other kinds of stuff like snare people from a distance, jump on your back and ride you away from the group, charge at you and knock you down and such, each requiring a different tactical approach which most often consists of shooting with guns, come to think of it.

It's a lot of fun for the price but as I seem to be saying a lot lately, much better with friends. I've heard it's a good LAN party game too, if you ever do that sort of thing.

Good call, Dirt 1 is still pretty decent too, but the most important thing is it features Pikes Peak. And Big Rig racing which is just the most hilarious thing I've ever seen.

Will do, to be honest though it would have to be better than a 50% sale because I'm sure I've seen this up for next to nothing before now. When it next hits 75% off I'll think about it.

Pikes Peak...where is that super cool sunglasses emoticon... :cool:

Big rig racing? That sounds amazing. Going to the British Truck Race at Donington in August, can't wait!!

Pikes Peak...where is that super cool sunglasses emoticon... :cool:

Big rig racing? That sounds amazing. Going to the British Truck Race at Donington in August, can't wait!!

Here's both at once (volume warning, and it's the 360 version):

Last edited:
Back