(Steam) Why is Pcar2 standalone cheaper than Deluxe Edition?

• Thread starter boxster233
  • 31 comments
United States
United States
boxster233
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're a previous Pcars owner you get a discount on the standalone edition. That discount is 17%. But the discount I see on the deluxe edition is 11%.

So if I buy standalone ($49.79) + season pass ($29.99), based on the explanations of the content I saw, I get all of the same content as the deluxe edition, but it's ~$1 cheaper than deluxe which sells for $80.09. Am I missing something?

@IanBell Can you adjust the deluxe edition discount to be more than the standalone? It would make sense.

If I'm wrong about this, please forgive me.

Steam Store shows 17% discount for Standalone, and 11% for Deluxe that is correct.

The difference in discount is that the Season Pass is NOT discounted, therefore the Deluxe edition is 11% discount off of the TOTAL cost.

At regular price, the Standalone is $79.99 CDN and the Season Pass is $39.99 CDN = $119.98

Regular price on the Deluxe Edition is $119.98 CDN

Discounted prices are as follows:

Standalone $79.99 - 17% = $66.39 + Season Pass $39.99 = $106.38
Deluxe $119.98 - 11% = $106.98

Total difference of $0.60 CDN

Hardly worth worrying about isn't it?

Last edited:
Steam Store shows 17% discount for Standalone, and 11% for Deluxe that is correct.

The difference in discount is that the Season Pass is NOT discounted, therefore the Deluxe edition is 11% discount off of the TOTAL cost.

At regular price, the Standalone is $79.99 CDN and the Season Pass is $39.99 CDN = $119.98

Regular price on the Deluxe Edition is $119.98 CDN

Discounted prices are as follows:

Standalone $79.99 - 17% = $66.39 + Season Pass $39.99 = $106.38
Deluxe $119.98 - 11% = $106.98

Total difference of $0.60 CDN

Hardly worth worrying about isn't it?

Little minds see it as 60 cents. I'm more interested in the strategy and ultimately the implications.

It's an interesting business and marketing decision to not provide a decreased cost of a bundle. That is usually the benefit of getting a bundle in almost all industries. It's either reduced integration or decreased cost of ownership or some added value. But why preorder the bundle if it offers no substantial advantage? Would it stand to reason to wait on DLC since there is no advantage to early acquisition?

If others make that choice, what are the implications for pre-order sales of DLC and ability to frontload a revenue stream?

Also the the psychology of this. Consumers assume bundles are cheaper. But in this instance, it's not. It's a deviation of expectations and evidently a successful one as I haven't seen others discuss this.

Really? Little minds? That's your response?

I guess your mind is just a bit too little to understand a concept like "rounding off"?

As I already explained to you, the tiny little difference in price is due to the discount percentage. The difference in the discount percentage is due to the fact that the Season Pass is not discounted. Would you rather they have posted an 11.1111111111% discount?

As for assuming the bundle would be cheaper, you know what assume does. If you are so well versed in the ways of business, how is it you don't seem to understand the concept of "buyer beware"?

As for how the items are sold, bundled, discounted on the Steam Store, I am.pretty sure that is up to Steam and Bandai Namco and not SMS.

Get over it.

Wait,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're a previous Pcars owner you get a discount on the standalone edition. That discount is 17%. But the discount I see on the deluxe edition is 11%.

So if I buy standalone ($49.79) + season pass ($29.99), based on the explanations of the content I saw, I get all of the same content as the deluxe edition, but it's ~$1 cheaper than deluxe which sells for $80.09. Am I missing something?

@IanBell Can you adjust the deluxe edition discount to be more than the standalone? It would make sense.

If I'm wrong about this, please forgive me.

If I read this right, you're wondering why when you buy everything separately, it comes to be $1 less than the deluxe edition.. correct?

From what I can get, it's not a 11% discount on the total. It's a 11% discount on the standalone copy. The season pass isn't discounted.

Wait,

If I read this right, you're wondering why when you buy everything separately, it comes to be $1 less than the deluxe edition.. correct?

From what I can get, it's not a 11% discount on the total. It's a 11% discount on the standalone copy. The season pass isn't discounted.

I see a discount of 17% on standalone. An 11% discount on the bundle. From a business practices standpoint, bundling usually adds up to a total cost savings over buying parts individually. There is not a total cost savings. That's an interesting business and marketing decision from SMS. It deviates from the norm.

The point of a bundle is usually to entice people to buy more content that they would otherwise by offering better value. That is not case here.

I see a discount of 17% on standalone. An 11% discount on the bundle. From a business practices standpoint, bundling usually adds up to a total cost savings over buying parts individually. There is not a total cost savings. That's an interesting business and marketing decision from SMS. It deviates from the norm.

The point of a bundle is usually to entice people to buy more content that they would otherwise by offering better value. That is not case here.

I see what you're saying, but not everyone is going to get the season pass. Maybe there will be some car packs that people don't want. It's a fine business model. The lovers of the game will definitely get the bundle. That's fine and dandy. If you plan on getting the bundle, then that's good.

Do you want them to give you the bundle at %20-%25 off? Maybe even %30?

Would that work for you?

I guess your mind is just a bit too little to understand a concept like "rounding off"?

As I already explained to you, the tiny little difference in price is due to the discount percentage. The difference in the discount percentage is due to the fact that the Season Pass is not discounted. Would you rather they have posted an 11.1111111111% discount?

As for assuming the bundle would be cheaper, you know what assume does. If you are so well versed in the ways of business, how is it you don't seem to understand the concept of "buyer beware"?

As for how the items are sold, bundled, discounted on the Steam Store, I am.pretty sure that is up to Steam and Bandai Namco and not SMS.

Get over it.[/QUOT

Get over it.

I'm sorry for little minds reference, but I thought your response dismissed my inquiry and rekindled immaturely. You assumed it was about my money. Look at my original post. I'm checking this with others to verify and discuss. You tried to reduce this to .60 when we're talking about potentially millions and then you accused me of assuming. Yet you are assuming that it was rounding off. Unless you work at SMS, I don't know how you'd know that.

In USD, if they had simply discounted deluxe package by 12% (no rounding needed) it would have been slightly cheaper than standalone and would have provided a small incentive to bundling.

I'm curious why they would make down standalone and not markdown the deluxe proportionately(either % or cost). It's a disincentive to buy the bundle. I find it hard to believe they intentionally did that. If they did, it's an interesting experiment. If they didn't do it on purpose, then it's a revenue decision they should be made aware of and something us as consumers should be aware of.

Get over it.[/QUOT

Get over it.

I'm sorry for little minds reference, but I thought your response dismissed my inquiry and rekindled immaturely. You assumed it was about my money. Look at my original post. I'm checking this with others to verify and discuss. You tried to reduce this to .60 when we're talking about potentially millions and then you accused me of assuming. Yet you are assuming that it was rounding off. Unless you work at SMS, I don't know how you'd know that.

In USD, if they had simply discounted deluxe package by 12% (no rounding needed) it would have been slightly cheaper than standalone and would have provided a small incentive to bundling.

I'm curious why they would make down standalone and not markdown the deluxe proportionately(either % or cost). It's a disincentive to buy the bundle. I find it hard to believe they intentionally did that. If they did, it's an interesting experiment. If they didn't do it on purpose, then it's a revenue decision they should be made aware of and something us as consumers should be aware of.

I see what you're saying, but not everyone is going to get the season pass. Maybe there will be some car packs that people don't want. It's a fine business model. The lovers of the game will definitely get the bundle. That's fine and dandy. If you plan on getting the bundle, then that's good.

Do you want them to give you the bundle at %20-%25 off? Maybe even %30?

Would that work for you?

The $1 or so doesn't matter to me. Its more intriguing in terms of impact on DLC. If your bundle is cheaper more people are likely to buy it and purchase content they might not otherwise buy. It's interesting they are not going that route.

The $1 or so doesn't matter to me. Its more intriguing in terms of impact on DLC. If your bundle is cheaper more people are likely to buy it and purchase content they might not otherwise buy. It's interesting they are not going that route.

I don't know why myself. I guess @IanBell would be the one to answer that, or not.

What you are still missing is the fact that the discount is ONLY APPLIED TO THE GAME PORTION. The amount of discount is the same in both cases. In CDN it's a $13.60 discount on both options. $13.60 from 79.99 is 17% and $13.60 from 119.98 is 11%

As I also told you, SMS has already made it very clear in other conversations that they have no say over the pricing or the bundles that are offered. That is decided by Bandai Namco as the publisher, and in this case, Steam also has a say.

What you are still missing is the fact that the discount is ONLY APPLIED TO THE GAME PORTION. The amount of discount is the same in both cases. In CDN it's a $13.60 discount on both options. $13.60 from 79.99 is 17% and $13.60 from 119.98 is 11%

As I also told you, SMS has already made it very clear in other conversations that they have no say over the pricing or the bundles that are offered. That is decided by Bandai Namco as the publisher, and in this case, Steam also has a say.

Oh I didn't know that. But yeah, I had told him that too. The discount is applied to the game alone. You don't get the season pass at a discount too. Guess he wanted it to be more bang for the buck.

It's not about the money or bang for buck but I understand the OP.

The question is not: how this price is made this way. The question is Why has Bandai descided to havr all pavjs as a bundle have the same price as when you buy them all seperatly?

What incentivises people to buy the bundle then? No off coarse no 25% discount. But enough to be considerably cheaper as to incentivise people to buy the pack instead of only a few dlc packs?

No one is wrong the question is more pointed to the discussion of how we think off bundless.

So @VYPA-SQUAD_Ace @F1Racer68 why would one buy a bundle if it's not discounted? What is so wrong with asking this question? And how does "the discount only applies to ..." In anyway be an answer to a question set up to discus the motive behind this descision? It's like asking why do you have to pay for your id when we are obligated to have an id. And you'd answer: the law says you need to pay for your id.

Why does the incentive have to be money? My time is valuable to me as well (I've already wasted too much on this thread).

Incentive for buying the bundle is simple. By even having this discussion it indicates interest in the Season Pass. So why not save time and effort and buy it all at once in one traction?

And besides, show me where I can buy the Season Pass on it's own right now. Simple answer is you can't. Sure, they've said it will be available later, but that means another transaction for me to deal with later. I'm in the store now. Making a purchase now. Thinking about the Season Pass now.

Do I need more incentive? Not likely.

Why does the incentive have to be money? My time is valuable to me as well (I've already wasted too much on this thread).

Incentive for buying the bundle is simple. By even having this discussion it indicates interest in the Season Pass. So why not save time and effort and buy it all at once in one traction?

And besides, show me where I can buy the Season Pass on it's own right now. Simple answer is you can't. Sure, they've said it will be available later, but that means another transaction for me to deal with later. I'm in the store now. Making a purchase now. Thinking about the Season Pass now.

Do I need more incentive? Not likely.

Well that's an incentive. I personally don't find that a good enough one but this all subjective :P . So thanks for the reply!

Well that's an incentive. I personally don't find that a good enough one but this all subjective :P . So thanks for the reply!
I agree. An extra 30 second transaction versus waiting on more information about DLC to make my decision and saving a minuscule amount of money? I'd choose waiting but surely bandai or steam doesnt want people to do that. Or maybe they do considering an extra .60 cents is hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue.

I agree. An extra 30 second transaction versus waiting on more information about DLC to make my decision and saving a minuscule amount of money? I'd choose waiting but surely bandai or steam doesnt want people to do that. Or maybe they do considering an extra .60 cents is hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue.

Nice to agree with someone!
But now let's not forget though that @F1Racer68 his opinion in this case is just as valid.

AFAIK SMS or Bandai have nothing to do with Steam prices. If Steam puts a game or a bundle on sale less profit for the devs.

I recall an interview on this from an indie developer I can't find ATM.

And I'm pretty sure this type of think was discussed somehow on pC1 already but I won't look for it.

There is a reason for pc market not being as profitable as consoles :)

AFAIK SMS or Bandai have nothing to do with Steam prices. If Steam puts a game or a bundle on sale less profit for the devs.

I recall an interview on this from an indie developer I can't find ATM.

And I'm pretty sure this type of think was discussed somehow on pC1 already but I won't look for it.

There is a reason for pc market not being as profitable as consoles :)

That's very interesting. But I don't believe that exists in all cases. Maybe for indie developers. I would have to assume certain developers would have sway over the pricing scheme of their games. For instance, GTAV does not go on sale for below $29.99. That has to be part of their sales agreement with Steam and other vendors. Bandai is a large developer, though not what they once were.

PC market has pirating and competitive pricing from multiple distribution platforms. Consoles (though its dying) have to compete with used market which cuts into developer profits.

Also, there is a bonus discount for people that own PCars 1 on Steam. I find it hard to believe that Bandai would have no say over that discount being offered and that Steam decided just to offer that.

OK, I get you don't agree with my reasoning. Fair enough. But here's additional food for thought.......

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/p/project-cars-2-season-pass/bwg488l3kz35

Season Pass.png

Sure, we've been TOLD it will be available as a standalone purchase later, but when "later"? And what happens if they don't make it available later (I don't recall seeing an official SMS statement saying it will be, only comments from others who have apparently been told it will be). On top of that, there are 4 more cars that are exclusively available to Season Pass holders.

So what happens if you do pass up the Deluxe Bundle because there isn't "enough discount", only to find out in 3 months time that the Deluxe Bundle was the only way to get the Season Pass? Granted, it's not likely to happen that way, but what if?????

EDIT: I have yet to see ANYWHERE in the Steam Store where the Season Pass is listed without the Deluxe Edition. There is a "value" assigned to it within the bundles, but no indication of a separate purchase capability.

OK, I get you don't agree with my reasoning. Fair enough. But here's additional food for thought.......

View attachment 665740

Sure, we've been TOLD it will be available as a standalone purchase later, but when "later"? And what happens if they don't make it available later (I don't recall seeing an official SMS statement saying it will be, only comments from others who have apparently been told it will be). On top of that, there are 4 more cars that are exclusively available to Season Pass holders.

So what happens if you do pass up the Deluxe Bundle because there isn't "enough discount", only to find out in 3 months time that the Deluxe Bundle was the only way to get the Season Pass? Granted, it's not likely to happen that way, but what if?????

EDIT: I have yet to see ANYWHERE in the Steam Store where the Season Pass is listed without the Deluxe Edition. There is a "value" assigned to it within the bundles, but no indication of a separate purchase capability.

I am seeing a different story on Steam. Bolded text added for emphasis.

"The hardest choice now is to make a choice between:
• STANDARD EDITION:
Includes the full game, plus the exclusive Japanese Cars Pack that features 4 cars from iconic Japanese manufacturers Honda and Nissan—the Honda Euro Spec Civic Type-R, the fastest hot hatch to have ever lapped the Nordschleife; the thrill-a-second Honda Project 2&4 with its stratospheric redline at 14,000rpm; the original and one-and-only “Godzilla”, the Skyline GT-R (R32) Group A; and the brutal and raw twin-turbo V8 Nissan 280ZX IMSA GTX.
• DELUXE EDITION:
Includes the full game, and the Japanese Cars Pack, plus the Season Pass (that includes all 4 additional contents that will enhance and extend the overall Project CARS 2 experience after release), as well as the Motorsport Pack that includes 4 enthralling racing cars curated from 40 years of motoring history."

Then the screenshots show this (attached). This makes it seem that if you pre-order the standard edition and buy the season pass, then you'll get all of the same content of the deluxe edition.

EDIT: I'd be willing to bet they will offer the season pass for available at purchase at launch or by the time the first pack is available.

Attachments

• Pcars 2 Info.JPG
    Pcars 2 Info.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 17

View attachment 665740

I forgot about the carpack! Thanks because that could tip me over! :P

There will be the standalone Seasonpass and Japanese pack later after release. Why should they cut out standard buyers and never earn money from them. One million standard copies owners are potential one million Season pass buyers. Do you really think they , SMS , dont wont that money. :banghead: Wierd logic:confused:

Back