Steering wheel users: Left or Right foot braking?

• Thread starter Devedander
  • 195 comments

Left or Right foot braking?

• Left

Votes: 58 69.0%
  • Right

Votes: 26 31.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I started left foot breaking when I had a broken right leg; so have used both in real life; and I use left foot for braking in virtual racing (pedal size and spacing and the Playseat 'post' reasons why also) 👍

You kinda have to on some cars; lift off oversteer is too extreme so you balance the car on the throttle and the brake -

My DFGT just broke though, so I can't play until either Logitech agrees to send me another one, or tell me to jump in a lake and I'll have to buy another. Bad timing, Christmas costs money...

I use clubsport pedals so I have a clutch, but I still left foot brake and always have. I also used to drive 600+HP cars in real life this way. If you're not used to it, it could cause you to "floor" both simultaneously though.

I tend to brake with my right foot sometimes... I blip the accelerator while braking (as I do on real race tracks)... If I had a G25 or G27 it might help.

Right foot only, left foot for clutch even though my wheel doesn't have one ; ; left foot braking only for rally driving. Impossible to do good with only one foot and if I'm feeling a bit crazy I'll rally old school style with lead foot & braking only.

I find left foot braking perfect for all types of racing whether it be track or rally, it has meany advantages over right foot braking especially if like me you use a clutch and a lot of heal toe in sim racing games, but overall I find a good mix of the two works best for me.

The one thing that takes time to get the hang of is when you are braking hard using left foot braking and you need to down shift it some times gets confusing for your feet when you have to quickly switch your left foot from braking to the clutch and at the same time switch your right foot from the accelerator to the brake, then once you have down shifted you have to change back to left foot braking.

But I guess it just boils down to what each driver feels comfortable with.

Right foot braking probably gives you more "stable" behaviour (because both are not pressed simultaneously) but I think left foot braking gives you better response time and ultimately is quicker even though you could be wrestling with the car more.

Tried right foot braking few times but cannot get used to it. Seems like an age to change the foot from one pedal to the other and vice versa.

Actually left foot braking gives me more stable control over the car. When I press the throttle and the brake simultaneously there is no jolt from taking my foot off the gas.

I do both. Depends on how I feel.

I drive also real car so i tend to use right foot. However i had to use left foot braking in some licence test to beat the gold time.(i think it was the cone slalom)

Why is there no option for: "It depends"?

I normally right foot brake since that's how I drive my real car, but on loose surfaces I'll left foot brake to be a little bit more precise with both inputs at the same time. I voted for right foot, because left foot braking is only what I do when things get hairy. Using the left foot just feels... wrong.

Sorry did not think some users would do both options. Think cannot edit it now so...

Anyway vote for what you use as "default" way of driving.

I am also a real life driver myself but have always been left-foot braker for games. Probably kart influence when I was young. :D

left, as i dont use the clutch, which leaves me with 2 pedals and 2 foots. the math behind it is fairly simple.

it depends for me, if im at a corner where i dont need to shift down (so dont need the clutch) then i left foot, but if i need to shift then i use right

left, as i dont use the clutch, which leaves me with 2 pedals and 2 foots. the math behind it is fairly simple.

Rubens Barrichello needs a lesson in Math then. :D

Pretty sure he is one of the few right-foot brakers in F1. Pretty quick driver too.

I don't have my pedals solid mounted to anything, so navigating my big feet around my DFGT's pedals was making them move all over the place. Left foot braking came naturally from a need to not move my feet across the pedals.

G27 user so I use everything as I would a normal car.

If I was using a DFGT, I may find a typical Go-Kart set up ok as I no longer could tap my clutch for increasing rev control, nor toe/heel.

If it works for you, why change it!

Bluez_Freak: You got a point somehow, but I guess the difference is the way a real break works vs the g25 break. IRL u need to apply pressure, with the g25 u just have to push teh pedal far enough regardless of pressure.
I've once tried to break with the left food IRL end I've almost ended banging my head against the steeringwheel lol. Pressed it waaaaayy to hard :D

Left foot braking is for me. You can get on the gas quicker while your still braking in the corners with your left foot. No way you can brake with your right foot and get on the gas at the same time unless you are doing the heel and toe dance which is effective when using a clutch. I don't have a clutch pedal so it is left foot braking.

Left foot brake... probably due to the DFGT.
Right foot in real life, tried it a couple of times in my car and I don't have the fine control 'yet'.
Surprisingly I've had no difficulty left foot braking when in a Kart???

Plus some cars you need to trail brake to keep the rear end steady.

I'm surprised that so many people use left foot braking. Is it because of age (i.e. too young to have driven in RL, and gotten used to right foot braking)? Is it the fastest way to play the game, and you separate it from RL? Just curious.

As for me, I use right foot, mainly because I've always just done it that way. I don't drive in RL (although have had my license).

Maybe I should try this left foot thing :D lol

I'm surprised that so many people use left foot braking. Is it because of age (i.e. too young to have driven in RL, and gotten used to right foot braking)? Is it the fastest way to play the game, and you separate it from RL? Just curious.

I am 34, driven more than 250,000 km IRL and still find left-foot braking more natural when playing games.

Have done so since my first steering wheel with Grand Prix 2 back in 1997.

Definitely give it a shot.

I don't have a steering wheel right now, but hopefully soon. That being said I think it would take a whole lot of practice to brake with my left foot. I've tried it in my real car and it's not smooth at all.

Like many, it is LFB for GT5 but RFB when driving a real car, even when it is an automatic.

Simply because my right is still more sensitive and in real life situations, you don't need that fast of a reaction anyways.

I RFB and have no problem putting down decent times. If you know how to drive right you can use your right foot.

Its easier to drive fast if you use left foot though so I understand why most people use left foot in video games. In real life they will be forced to use right foot unless they feel like tap dancing.

On top of that, in real life, if you try to brake hard and have both feet on the pedals your body will be pulled forward into the pedals. The foot rest, or the clutch pedal, can be used to hold your body in position while your right foot applies proper brake and throttle. If you have both feet on pedals that you need to modulate gradually you can find yourself in hairy situations when you add G's.

Back