STI or Evo 8?

  • Thread starter Thread starter iflabs
  • 44 comments
  • 2,103 views
Div is back
The STI with a small change in CPU mapping, new exhaust line and you got a 500hp + beast...Hard to modify? pff...

Around 1000$ for a 200hp gain...Bang for buck anyone?
Where is the BS flag?
 
I will since I work right next to one in Warren. I will stop in there on the way home from work tomarrow, just for kicks mind you. Plus I nees to go there anyways to see how much an exhaust system for my truck is going to be, but I'm curious to see how much BS there is.
 
Div is back
The STI with a small change in CPU mapping, new exhaust line and you got a 500hp + beast...Hard to modify? pff...

Around 1000$ for a 200hp gain...Bang for buck anyone?
ill have to raise the BS flag also.
there have been many MANY sti owners complaining about not getting enough power for the money they put into the car, i also say there is no way an sti can get a 200hp gain through chip & exhaust alone.

Div show us proof instead of having to look for it ourselves, because if u can show me a $1000 chip/exhaust combo for an sti and gain 200hp, i will put "div owns me" in my sig.
 
Div is back
Go yo your local Tuning shop and ask, you'll see.
Is that what your tunning shop told you? We'll if they did, they are just trying to get your money, or just screwing with you.
 
Duke
I find this post extremely difficult to believe.

Ditto. A typical STi downpipe, cat-back, ECU upgrade yields more like ~50 crank hp and runs closer to $1,500. 500 crank hp for $1,000?? I have a magic fuel saving Tornado air charger and a bridge in Brooklyn to sell if you believe that.

Try $4,000+ and a new turbo (T3 or something similar) to get in that neighborhood.


M
 
So I went to the shop tonight to get a price on some Flowmasters for my truck, but I just asked how I would get about 500hp out of a STi and the guy told me that He's never seen anyone come in with a 500hp STi but he guessed you would need a bigger and better turbo set up.
 
I've only seen the IHI VF39 (stock STi turbo) hit 450hp marks. I've spent close to a year on Club WRX and I've never seen anyone hit those high numbers, besides a couple tuning companies (I think Kingpin did it, and I imagine ESX's drag WRX achieved it as well).

Also, there is no way $1000 is going to bring home 200hp, especially from an STi. You would need something pretty advanced, like a TurboXS, and those run near a grand by themselves.
 
I choose the evo. Why? Personal preference, thats what it all comes down to between these 2 cars.

Some argue the the Sti has more torque so its better. But just how much more torque is it anyway? Anything close to 50lbft? Probably not.

I don't think many of you drive your cars completely on the limit so I don't think the understeer should be a problem either.

Both have similar fuel economy.

On the tuning aspect I'd have to say the Evo wins. Anyone seen the Norris Designs ones?
 
I have driven both cars. For me the STi is a better feel over the EVO. I just felt more connected to the vehicle. I've got to run both cars very hard and even though most say they are very equal in performance i felt the STi was quicker in every way (not by much though). Plus i see an Evo 8 every five minutes and i hate having what everyone else does. I'm a snob i guess. :)
 
Evo7GTA
I choose the evo. Why? Personal preference, thats what it all comes down to between these 2 cars.

Some argue the the Sti has more torque so its better. But just how much more torque is it anyway? Anything close to 50lbft? Probably not.

I don't think many of you drive your cars completely on the limit so I don't think the understeer should be a problem either.

Both have similar fuel economy.

On the tuning aspect I'd have to say the Evo wins. Anyone seen the Norris Designs ones?

Its not so much number-wise, its feel-wise. Because the STi is pushing a smaller turbo (I would imagine) with a larger engine, torque and boost come quicker. Its closer to 20 lb-ft when it comes to the acutal figures.
 
RobcioPL
Is that what your tunning shop told you? We'll if they did, they are just trying to get your money, or just screwing with you.

I don't own a STI so it wouldn't be the case you mention, but maybe he was just showing off.
 
If your in the states and want to modify a STi look at this. This is a good bang for your buck. Its not 500+ HP but for $1600-$1700. Its the best safe mod you can do for a STi. Just check out the dyno charts. Plus read about the access port and you will want to buy a STi. I don't think they have this easy of self tuning/mapping available for the EVO. But i could be wrong. The AcessPort is awesome. And they have something Called Street Tuner that almost out and its going to change the way people can tune their own cars.

Cobb Stage I and II packages!
 
Goomba
Its not so much number-wise, its feel-wise. Because the STi is pushing a smaller turbo (I would imagine) with a larger engine, torque and boost come quicker. Its closer to 20 lb-ft when it comes to the acutal figures.

I agree. The US spec STi delivers power in a much smoother, more linear fashion that reminds me of a bigger engine. The Evolution is much peakier and never lets you forget that it's a little motor pushed by a big turbo. The STi FEELS faster. Not only because it is, but because it has better response.


M
 
I'm a Subie owner, so I'd give the nod to the STi of course. However, unless you're an absolutely brilliant driver that can drive the car to the ragged edge on the track, you probably can't find a difference...
 
Back