Stick to 720P or upgrade to 1080P?

• Thread starter mikochu
  • 41 comments
Is anyone running at 720P instead of 1080P for better performance in GT6? I've got an old 32" 720P LCD that won't die...I use it on my sim rig. I've been thinking of upgrading to a 1080P display, but if GT6 runs better at 720P, I might wait to upgrade. Thoughts?

Is anyone running at 720P instead of 1080P for better performance in GT6? I've got an old 32" 720P LCD that won't die...I use it on my sim rig. I've been thinking of upgrading to a 1080P display, but if GT6 runs better at 720P, I might wait to upgrade. Thoughts?
1080p is the best.

DB
How do you 'upgrade' to 1080p?
Buy a new tv.

The difference between 1080 and 720 is minor but it is there. The New LED tv's really show it due to the much higher picture quality it provides.
Mostly what you will get is a larger game screen which translates to smaller images on screen but you will also have smoother motion and better image quality.
Like going from 1024x768 to 1920x1024(?) On a computer, better picture but everything is smaller. Sorry spacing out the exact res

I have a good quality tv. I thought there was an option in game that you could choose. Like a resolution option....

I think it's a PS3 setting not a game setting. If your tv is a 1080p than deff go to it. You will see no noticeable change in performance, so unless your going after that .001 on a lap it won't hurt you.
No fps won't be affected, if it is, it's as positive change and you will be getting more fps

Try run arcade race in professional ( 10 AI car ) at Bahurst, set 100% weather and 100% water on track, do a lap or 2. Drive in cockpit view - try first on 720p, then 1080p, notice the frame rate. Save the replay, view from track side camera, notice the frame rate in 1080p :) There's a difference in frame rate, some cars in cockpit view suffers frame rate reduction in 1080p even when doing time trial alone on the track, try to drive Audi R8 LMS (free run/time trial ) on Grand Valley Speedway in cockpit view - 720p and 1080p, there's a difference there.

Stick to 720p if want more life from the PS3, 1080p heated up the system quickly as it pushes PS3 constantly on the limit.

Yeah, I noticed a frame rate difference, mainly when a lot of cars are on screen. But since buying a new and bigger computer monitor and using that with the PS3 instead of TV, I'm preferring it with 1080p anyway.

With a bigger screen and sitting closer to it, you can notice the resolution difference a lot more.

I'm sorry, but if you had a 50" TV, why would you stick to 720p? I can't really figure that one out.

I'm sorry, but if you had a 50" TV, why would you stick to 720p? I can't really figure that one out.
Preformace of the PS3 it has to draw more so it slows down, and causes small amounts of input lag. But this is only a problem on the older gen one and two systems like mine.
I do notice a FPS differance of about 10 to 20 fps if I change the PS to 720 from 1080 and reduce my screen size in game. but to me I'm not good enough to be chasing the top of the world list so I stick with 1080p for the picture quality.

Buy a new tv.

The difference between 1080 and 720 is minor but it is there. The New LED tv's really show it due to the much higher picture quality it provides.
Mostly what you will get is a larger game screen which translates to smaller images on screen but you will also have smoother motion and better image quality.
Like going from 1024x768 to 1920x1024(?) On a computer, better picture but everything is smaller. Sorry spacing out the exact res
1080p has 1.1million more pixels than 720p.....1080p is double 720p........The difference is huge...
EDIT:There is no difference in fps between 720p and 1080p...This isn't pc gaming....

Preformace of the PS3 it has to draw more so it slows down, and causes small amounts of input lag. But this is only a problem on the older gen one and two systems like mine.
The processing power is the same and it's a problem with ALL revisions of the PS3.
In my experience, even at 720p the ps3 there are issues.

EDIT:There is no difference in fps between 720p and 1080p...This isn't pc gaming....
So double the pixels but frames stay constant...right.
There is a difference. 720P and 1080 have stuttering issues. There are just less of when them running 720p.
I do notice a FPS differance of about 10 to 20 fps if I change the PS to 720 from 1080 and reduce my screen size in game.

I'm very skeptical of that.

The processing power is the same and it's a problem with ALL revisions of the PS3.
In my experience, even at 720p the ps3 there are issues.

So double the pixels but frames stay constant...right.
There is a difference. 720P and 1080 have stuttering issues. There are just less of when them running 720p.

I'm very skeptical of that.
If a game is going to be rendered at 1080p, turning your tv down to 720p is not going to give you a fps boost......This isn't pc gaming......I guess you think if you turn your tv to 480p you will get a fps increase??? LOL This is the biggest load of **** i have heard in my life. Like i said this isn't pc gaming where you choose what resolution the game will render at....

As far as I was aware, I thought the PS3 renders at the highest possible output for the game (1080p in this case) and then just scales it down accordingly. After getting a new TV I didn't notice a difference in frame rights, which I usually do after playing games on PC for a while now. It could just be a subconcious thing where I block out the stuttering because I've been so used to it with GT5 & 6 but I'm pretty sure the downscaling method is how the PS3 works. I could be wrong though.

If a game is going to be rendered at 1080p, turning your tv down to 720p is not going to give you a fps boost......This isn't pc gaming......I guess you think if you turn your tv to 480p you will get a fps increase??? LOL This is the biggest load of **** i have heard in my life. Like i said this isn't pc gaming where you choose what resolution the game will render at....
We're setting the ps3 to 720p, not the TV....:cool:

I apparently was thinking of a different system that allows us to change the resolution, sorry for an confusion. I checked my PS3 menus just a bit ago and we can't change the resolution, but we can change fps in 1080 and manually override the 24fps setting
I think the only way to out put to 720 is use component cable or have a 720 only tv and those are rare. All modern tv's support 1080i

I apparently was thinking of a different system that allows us to change the resolution, sorry for an confusion. I checked my PS3 menus just a bit ago and we can't change the resolution, but we can change fps in 1080 and manually override the 24fps setting
I think the only way to out put to 720 is use component cable or have a 720 only tv and those are rare. All modern tv's support 1080i

You can force the game to output 720p, disable/untick 1080i and 1080p under display settings in XMB. Now run the game and play arcade race at bathurst in the rain, watch the replay as well, compare the fps to 1080p, night and day :)

Try run arcade race in professional ( 10 AI car ) at Bahurst, set 100% weather and 100% water on track, do a lap or 2. Drive in cockpit view - try first on 720p, then 1080p, notice the frame rate. Save the replay, view from track side camera, notice the frame rate in 1080p :) There's a difference in frame rate, some cars in cockpit view suffers frame rate reduction in 1080p even when doing time trial alone on the track, try to drive Audi R8 LMS (free run/time trial ) on Grand Valley Speedway in cockpit view - 720p and 1080p, there's a difference there.

Stick to 720p if want more life from the PS3, 1080p heated up the system quickly as it pushes PS3 constantly on the limit.
Agreed, much better frame rates at 720p. It's unfortunate that it simply doesn't look as good but for me frame rate is top priority so 720p it is.

You guys do not have a clue what you're are talking about.
You're the one that doesn't know what your talking about!

So there's no difference between 720p and 1080p framerate no?

Read this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gran-turismo-5-tech-analysis?page=3

Btw the differences are even bigger in GT6.

To clarify: We are not talking about the difference between a 720p & 1080p TV, obviously that wouldn't make a difference to framerate (if PS3 is set at same res).
nVidias G-Sync is another matter.

We are talking about the PS3 settings, having it OUTPUT either 720p or 1080p.
It has to output over twice the pixel count at 1080p of course it takes its toll.

Why wouldn't every game just be 1080p if there was no difference in framerate?

"not PC gaming"? The process is exactly the same!

Last edited:
Gawd, if you just want framerate above all else then buy a PlayStation S-Video Cable and use that, 480P at an unwaveringly perfect 60FPS ;).
n.b. I haven't tested this and it is probably false, but logical nonetheless.

In all seriousness though, yes, 720P probably runs smoother (much smoother if sixteen premium cars drift around Karussel at sunset in the rain at the same time {this is where adaptive tessellation helps tremendously to avoid plummeting FPS like in GT5}) and if you sit 9 feet away from a 32" screen like me then there won't be too much of a noticeable picture quality difference. That said I still play in 1080 because it's pretty and I can.

You're the one that doesn't know what your talking about!

So there's no difference between 720p and 1080p framerate no?

Read this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gran-turismo-5-tech-analysis?page=3

Btw the differences are even bigger in GT6.

To clarify: We are not talking about the difference between a 720p & 1080p TV, obviously that wouldn't make a difference to framerate (if PS3 is set at same res).
nVidias G-Sync is another matter.

We are talking about the PS3 settings, having it OUTPUT either 720p or 1080p.
It has to output over twice the pixel count at 1080p of course it takes its toll.

Why wouldn't every game just be 1080p if there was no difference in framerate?

"not PC gaming"? The process is exactly the same!

Your video shows 720p being roughly 2-4fps ahead of 1080p. And GT6 runs even smoother.

[="Otaliema, post: 9212649, member: 243097"]I apparently was thinking of a different system that allows us to change the resolution, sorry for an confusion. I checked my PS3 menus just a bit ago and we can't change the resolution, but we can change fps in 1080 and manually override the 24fps setting
I think the only way to out put to 720 is use component cable or have a 720 only tv and those are rare. All modern tv's support 1080i[/quote]

What , mate? You can choose to have your PS3 output whatever resolution you want, just disable 1080p ect. 24fps is just for watching movies in a more 'cinematic' way, its not for games. 1080i? Think you meant 1080p? Component cable allows up to 1080i.

Last edited:
[="Otaliema, post: 9212649, member: 243097"]I apparently was thinking of a different system that allows us to change the resolution, sorry for an confusion. I checked my PS3 menus just a bit ago and we can't change the resolution, but we can change fps in 1080 and manually override the 24fps setting

Its amazing how some people even know how to turn their PS3 on

Back