Sticky walls

• Thread starter Aria
  • 9 comments
Finland
Finland
Every time I hit the wall it feels like I'm a fly in the flypaper. There is ultimate friction and and the wall just doesn't bounce you back. I basically mean situations when cars front hits the wall.

This is what happens in real life. In GT you just stop.

And of course, don't hit the wall if you don't like to be sucked in it but unfortunately I'm not that great driver.

I guess it's to prevent wall-grinding. I don't like the sticky walls either but then I don't want to see wall grinders...

Back in GT4 you could gold license tests by simply grinding against the barriers without any braking.

Well, if online grinders are the problem PD could use different "wall physics" there. :D But in career mode you can use shortcuts anyway on many tracks so I don't see the point for magnet walls.

:lol: I came a cropper in the Deltawing and sidswiped the wall but because of the triangular postion of the wheels (the front end and rear end touching the barrier) I had to reverse to free myself - going forwards only made the front dig in even more!:dunce:

Contact physics are all wrong, you see it when you crash into other cars as well.

They have modeled the moon and how a lunar rover flips when driving over a medium sized rock, but they haven't got a clue about what happens when a car, on Earth, comes crashing into a steel barrier at 250 km/h over rolling grass mounds.

Contact physics are all wrong, you see it when you crash into other cars as well.

They have modeled the moon and how a lunar rover flips when driving over a medium sized rock, but they haven't got a clue about what happens when a car, on Earth, comes crashing into a steel barrier at 250 km/h over rolling grass mounds.
Yeah, when I flipped at Lowes hairpin time certainly slowed down - no gravity or momentum at all - took a couple of seconds instead of half to a second.

this is the thing that drives me the most crazy about this game. this also happens on most other racing games i've played, so it seems to be industry wide.

I guess it's to prevent wall-grinding. I don't like the sticky walls either but then I don't want to see wall grinders...

Back in GT4 you could gold license tests by simply grinding against the barriers without any braking.

Yeah you used to be able to gain massive amounts of time by banking off the walls or grinding them in all the early GTs. GT4 was the first time I recall them doing anything to stop it, but that was with a slowdown penalty and only in some events. I can only assume this is the reason for the sticky walls in GT5 and 6, but as stated you can still cut and get away with it in career so I'm not sure why they've only addressed the issue with the walls and why we are forced to deal with that goofy behavior in every mode.

Back