Still more MINIs on the way.... Coupe pantent drawings are out.

• Thread starter Philly
  • 434 comments

The lower grill looks even more out of place on the 5-door Cooper S than the regular S hatch.

And given the prices for the 5-door Cooper and Cooper S models will undercut the equivalent Clubman (no word on the 5-door One yet?), I'd expect quite a few new MINI buyers who don't want to fork out more for a Countryman will soon go for the cheaper, more practical option.

That S model with those white wheels looks pretty bad, but the one on 5th pic looks really clean and modern, I like it 👍

mini5door8.jpg

I notice that the US market is calling this the 4 door hardtop, rather than the 5 door.
Yeah, America doesn't do the odd-numbered-door thing. I suppose because they've never really been big on hatchbacks, so there's been no need to differentiate them by the 3/5 door hatchback, 2/4 door coupe/saloon thing.

^Saw one of those on the road today. I have to say I liked the previous generation (or pre-facelift, whatever MINI calls it) much better.

The front grille in particular is awful, gives the car a goofy scared/sad expression. The whole car is blobby and not as sharp and aggressive as the old one. I used to love the MINI but now I'd take one of these instead:

I said that last week but since then the styling's really grown on me. I've taken a look at a 3-door Mini Cooper at the dealership and it looks quite good.

I'm now seriously considering getting one, and giving my Escape to my parents, who need a 2nd car. Though I also quite like the Fiat 500/500L(yes, I have weird tastes:dopey:).

Yeah, America doesn't do the odd-numbered-door thing. I suppose because they've never really been big on hatchbacks, so there's been no need to differentiate them by the 3/5 door hatchback, 2/4 door coupe/saloon thing.

Well, there's definitely been attempts; Mazda, Kia/Hyundai, and Ford have all tried to remind people about the odd-numbered thing, off the top of my head. Then again, I notice more of them up here, where we tend to be a bit more hatch-happy than south of the border. Down in the US, I see a depressingly high ratio of these over their hatch relatives:

2011_Ford_Fiesta_S_sedan_rear_--_07-10-2010.jpg

Pictures don't even convey how awful the proportions truly are.

Well, there's definitely been attempts; Mazda, Kia/Hyundai, and Ford have all tried to remind people about the odd-numbered thing, off the top of my head. Then again, I notice more of them up here, where we tend to be a bit more hatch-happy than south of the border. Down in the US, I see a depressingly high ratio of these over their hatch relatives:

2011_Ford_Fiesta_S_sedan_rear_--_07-10-2010.jpg

Pictures don't even convey how awful the proportions truly are.
I always hated how the rear was so awkward looking on the F4D.

Essentially the Mini estate, makes more sense then the last Clubman as now it has functional rear doors, and will open up alot more people into the Mini brand who couldn't due to lack of practicality.

Being the owner of 2 classic Mini's '66 Cooper S and '98 Cooper. I was the same, hated anything to do with the BMW Mini.

I was around my sisters and her Boss came around to drop some work stuff over. He saw my '66 Mini and said how he liked Mini's himself, he pointed that he owned a Black/Chilli Red '14 JCW R56, after saying i hated the BMW Mini. He said have a drive, so i did and loved it. I've since bought a '13 Cooper S and hopefully i can get a JCW R56 myself. It's a brilliant car to drive. Not as good as other hot Hatches but its still a brilliant car.

2019? Srsly?

A fat, bloaty blob with FWD and electric motors out back to be called 'Supperleggera'? And also, to be a 'serious sports car' and compete with the MX-5?

Really?

Not only do I think BMW are drinking the same Koolaid their styling department have been knocking back for 15 years, I think the flavour is now the 'new, improved' one with the dissolved rodents in it.

Being the owner of 2 classic Mini's '66 Cooper S and '98 Cooper. I was the same, hated anything to do with the BMW Mini.

I was around my sisters and her Boss came around to drop some work stuff over. He saw my '66 Mini and said how he liked Mini's himself, he pointed that he owned a Black/Chilli Red '14 JCW R56, after saying i hated the BMW Mini. He said have a drive, so i did and loved it. I've since bought a '13 Cooper S and hopefully i can get a JCW R56 myself. It's a brilliant car to drive. Not as good as other hot Hatches but its still a brilliant car.
Haven't had any problems yet? And do you love those sexy switches on the dash?

A fat, bloaty blob with FWD and electric motors out back to be called 'Supperleggera'? And also, to be a 'serious sports car' and compete with the MX-5?

Really?
How can you comment on the car's structure 4 years before it's even released? FWD is much better for packaging, it reduces the weight of the drivetrain overall, the electric motors don't have to weigh much. Why couldn't it be a serious sports car?

Really?

Not only do I think BMW are drinking the same Koolaid their styling department have been knocking back for 15 years, I think the flavour is now the 'new, improved' one with the dissolved rodents in it.
Bruh, what's wrong with FWD?

Back