Story mode in Gran Turismo 7

Would you want a story mode in GT7? (like NBA2K,Fifa or the rumored one in the next Forza?)

• Yes, I'd love that!

Votes: 40 27.6%
  • No thanks!

Votes: 105 72.4%

• Total voters
Nope. All they have to do in their next game is to make it simple. Just mix of classic GT and online features GTSport has. They don't have to reinvent the wheel and add story mode. It's just a waste of development time. Bring back the classic tracks, car customization, track creator and it'll make the average GT fan happy.

Nope. All they have to do in their next game is to make it simple. Just mix of classic GT and online features GTSport has. They don't have to reinvent the wheel and add story mode. It's just a waste of development time. Bring back the classic tracks, car customization, track creator and it'll make the average GT fan happy.
Isn't GT League too simple?

I dont want Rupert and the girl in the GT beanie giving me "tips"... like dont bring over crap from Horizon 4 that the GT community flat out doesnt want.

OR... if you must do that, let Kaz or some of the classic Japanese GT staff do it... they deserve it.

OR... Zombie Jeff Gordon and normal personality robot Vettel is ok.

Its a difficult one. I lean towards no, but at the same time, the traditional Gran Turismo formula is stale. GT7 needs to be more than just a rehash of ideas from previous games. Is a story narrative the ight way? Who knows, maybe we'll find out with FM8. But there's no doubt in my mind they need to something fresh and new.

My console buying decisions rest with the marque racing franchises, innovation will be key.

I dont want Rupert and the girl in the GT beanie giving me "tips"... like dont bring over crap from Horizon 4 that the GT community flat out doesnt want.

OR... if you must do that, let Kaz or some of the classic Japanese GT staff do it... they deserve it.

I dont recall Horizon 4 having popup heads giving tips.

A story with corny named characters and "dramatic" events away from the races? A corny rivalry a la Days Of Thunder' or something? No.

But a racing driver "story" of sorts as you progress up through the ranks with racing related events such as hiring/teams going bankrupt/finding a new seat, that sort of thing, why not, if done well.

I don't know aobut Sarah but I beleive Rupert is a very real person called Rupert who is involved in Gran Turismo Sport and the championships. So it's entirely possible Sarah is a real person involved in Gran Turismo as well.

Would it make things more interesting - yes

However, I found GT to have a sort of "build your own story" aspect to it in the past.
Start out with no car - get a license - buy cheap car - build your way to the top

A story would conceptually be very "easy" and cliche to put in but it would not be needed. The GT careers will seem more tacky and there would be more resources that would have to be distributed to make these stories, rather than focusing on the driving experience and other more important components that make GT for what it is

Voted NO, but I would like to see a proper career mode, nothing like a movie or something like that, just the feeling that you start in bottom with Karts and moving up the ladder until you reach the top of the fastest cars in the game.

See, this is the sort of thing you can do in a racing game to be more engaging and without being corny/hollywood

https://www.gtplanet.net/f1-2020-myteam-20200616/

Now I'm 100% NOT saying I think GT should implement something exactly like that, or even vaguely similar, but it's a good example of how you can make "just doing races" far more interesting and rewarding, more-so than just picking events from a soulless list and winning them...just because.

...we had story mode in every GT except GTS, it was called career mode... TBH with you, we don't need fancy guys and girls talking about cars and pretending of acting etc. we just need career mode, and when I finish race first to get reward and a car that I can sell for ingame currency as I did in any of previous GT games... That is story enough for me...

I would say no to story mode. Waste of time. But adding more immersion to the gameplay and to the track, would be nice. Something similar to GRID 2019 with crowd cheering, and maybe announcer voice here and there... but only for the campaign mode.

Absolutely,but not what you guys are thinking,I want something more like the F1 games,where they have teams you sign with,you have rivals and goals not just "ok you have to come in first place or you have to do it again" because let's be honest that's not realistic at all. I just want more engagement from the career mode otherwise it just becomes very boring and repetitive.

Sooo, we're just going to ignore these?

As far as the question itself, Hell no. Pretty sure of all the things fans want, a full fledged story mode is not one of them and I sure as hell don't play Gran Turismo for the story.

Toca's story made you feel like a race driver that is rising through the ranks.

While racing evolution was some cringey japanese anime game that thought we can compete with Gran Turismo by adding anime.

Gran Turismo does not need a story. Because who needs a story when the cars and the tracks are the stars.

While racing evolution was some cringey japanese anime game that thought we can compete with Gran Turismo by adding anime

I'm not entirely sure that's the most accurate reason for this game existing, especially since the creator's back catalog is filled with this aesthetic and classic wacky early 2000s story telling that only can be found in Japanese games.

At any rate, main point in that post was that stories were attempted in both of those games (In different ways even and during an era where sim racing wasn't so set on being the same damn thing everywhere) but GT should NOT attempt a story mode because that is not a defining feature of GT.

Last edited:
No story per se, but a more in depth campaign is definitely needed.

See, this is the sort of thing you can do in a racing game to be more engaging and without being corny/hollywood

Now I'm 100% NOT saying I think GT should implement something exactly like that, or even vaguely similar, but it's a good example of how you can make "just doing races" far more interesting and rewarding, more-so than just picking events from a soulless list and winning them...just because.

Clicking Sunday cup, picking any race, restarting until you get gold, choosing another event like FF challenge, completing 2 races etc etc... "Soulless" was perfectly put.

GT league and previous GT games campaign felt like quick play with restrictions.

The campaign should involve a sort of season system. If I commit to an event, I have to race the tracks in order, go through practice and qualifying (optional), and my final standings should be based on the event as a whole. If I want to play a different event, then I forfiet my current event.

Now, if I start with a stock Megane RS for example, and want to enter a GT3 event, providing my rating as a driver throughout my seasons is high enough, or I hold the correct license, and providing I can customize my Megane to specifications, I can enter that car into the event, rather than being forced to buy from a list of pre-made GT3 cars - which you also CAN do if you want.

Of course as you progress you need to buy higher end cars.

Speaking of driver rating, I don't like they way I can do a ton of arcade races and level up my driver rating for campaign. I'm a ruby driver and can take part in the professional league when I potentially haven't done a single beginner league race. It doesn't make sense. The campaign needs to have its own seperate system that involves starting from low leagues and having to earn your right to move on to the higher leagues.

Also I hate that you select a race, and are immediately just thrown into a rolling start. I want the real feeling of a 'race day'! Instead of a 'Story', the whole event could be brought to life. Start me in the pits, have my car delivered by truck and unveiled, have my engineer talk to me about setups and have him change them in the garage, while i put on my helmet and gloves, open my car door and get in and drive out of the pit garage.

Immerse me into the world of motorsport a bit more.

Last edited:
Sure, why not. As long as it’s not compulsory I don’t see the harm. There are increasingly more and more elements featuring in GT games that I have no interest in, but you know what, I just don’t bother with them.

If done well I can see it as a good way of pulling players through parts of the game they may never venture to otherwise. You could roll players through aspects of photo mode via having to be involved with taking publicity/marketing shots, livery editor lending a hand with how your car looks for sponsors. Race engineers running through car tuning and set-ups with you. Like I said, with a bit of imagination it could be a useful tool, especially for newcomers to the series.

Usually when starting a new game, the first thing I do is go to options, nothing more frustrating when a game locks you into a story without the chance to skip, Need For Speed games do this a lot, personally wouldn’t want it & if it was I would want a place in options to turn it off.

I think F1 does really well offering a wide range of single player content. Free race, time trials, challenges, career, My Team, pretty much every playstyle is at least somewhat catered for. The "traditionalist" GT crowd get free race. The people who want specific and restrictive goals get challenges and career. The people who want story and immersion get My Team. The people who want pure driving get time trials and hotlapping.

I feel like if Gran Turismo wants to be at the top of it's field, it could at least match the variety of gameplay from a yearly F1 game.

But, (sarcastically) Horizon 4 is considered as one of the best racing game, so it's not a problem to implement stuffs from good competitor in GT! BTW, I heard that Rupert is one of people in GT Academy so...

No story per se, but a more in depth campaign is definitely needed.

Clicking Sunday cup, picking any race, restarting until you get gold, choosing another event like FF challenge, completing 2 races etc etc... "Soulless" was perfectly put.

GT league and previous GT games campaign felt like quick play with restrictions.

The campaign should involve a sort of season system. If I commit to an event, I have to race the tracks in order, go through practice and qualifying (optional), and my final standings should be based on the event as a whole. If I want to play a different event, then I forfiet my current event.

Now, if I start with a stock Megane RS for example, and want to enter a GT3 event, providing my rating as a driver throughout my seasons is high enough, or I hold the correct license, and providing I can customize my Megane to specifications, I can enter that car into the event, rather than being forced to buy from a list of pre-made GT3 cars - which you also CAN do if you want.

Of course as you progress you need to buy higher end cars.

Speaking of driver rating, I don't like they way I can do a ton of arcade races and level up my driver rating for campaign. I'm a ruby driver and can take part in the professional league when I potentially haven't done a single beginner league race. It doesn't make sense. The campaign needs to have its own seperate system that involves starting from low leagues and having to earn your right to move on to the higher leagues.

Also I hate that you select a race, and are immediately just thrown into a rolling start. I want the real feeling of a 'race day'! Instead of a 'Story', the whole event could be brought to life. Start me in the pits, have my car delivered by truck and unveiled, have my engineer talk to me about setups and have him change them in the garage, while i put on my helmet and gloves, open my car door and get in and drive out of the pit garage.

Immerse me into the world of motorsport a bit more.
Yeah GT League but previous GT does contain what you suggest (and what you claim GT has never done), like the racing with the tracks in order? That's Championship which exist in any GT but GTS, also that you can suspend Championship, when you enter other event you did forfeit in older GT. The very first GT contained only Championships, for damn sake!

Older GT has less restrictions on races which means you can use cars that don't belong in a race category, like customized Megane RS you mentioned in GT3 event (in case for older GT, putting LM Race Car in JGTC race).

I think F1 does really well offering a wide range of single player content. Free race, time trials, challenges, career, My Team, pretty much every playstyle is at least somewhat catered for. The "traditionalist" GT crowd get free race. The people who want specific and restrictive goals get challenges and career. The people who want story and immersion get My Team. The people who want pure driving get time trials and hotlapping.

I feel like if Gran Turismo wants to be at the top of it's field, it could at least match the variety of gameplay from a yearly F1 game.
Free race, time trials, challenges... just asking (not to be a fanboy), does GT also actually contain those (like license, missions, special events as challenges)? Also dunno if you also count Arcade here, which also contain something like Drift Trial and Custom Race.

Gran Turismo NEEDS a game mode in which A LOT of players have to LEARN to drive before getting ONLINE.

Why not a sort narrative story mode with a virtual personal coach instead of a simple formulary to complete to then be able to enter Sport mode ? Some 4 or 5 hours racing lessons before entering Sport mode to get the track rules and behaviours in mind !

I think this would salvage the average level players' abilities to make clean races, which is not the case in GT Sport.

Gran Turismo NEEDS a game mode in which A LOT of players have to LEARN to drive before getting ONLINE.

Why not a sort narrative story mode with a virtual personal coach instead of a simple formulary to complete to then be able to enter Sport mode ? Some 4 or 5 hours racing lessons before entering Sport mode to get the track rules and behaviours in mind !

I think this would salvage the average level players' abilities to make clean races, which is not the case in GT Sport.
It's Licenses. And GT puts License requirement on GT Mode events. GT should also implement that in Online, add License requirement when creating rooms, like for example, you need to pass IA License to join a room.

Back