Struggling with Sportmanship.

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi All, Happy New Years Eve!

So I'm struggling to get my Sportsmanship up. Here are my stats at the moment: https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=9650999
I can never seem to get my Sportsmanship up simply because the amount of ramming which occurs in the lobby's I get put it. Almost every race I get rammed and its really frustrating, the game always seems to think its my fault as I get a penalty and its not even my fault. I really want to get put into higher lobby's with better players but its impossible when I get rammed all the time and the game thinks its my fault.

Any tips which might be able to help me?

Many Thanks,
Harrison

So I'm struggling to get my Sportsmanship up. Here are my stats at the moment: https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=9650999
I can never seem to get my Sportsmanship up simply because the amount of ramming which occurs in the lobby's I get put it. Almost every race I get rammed and its really frustrating, the game always seems to think its my fault as I get a penalty and its not even my fault. I really want to get put into higher lobby's with better players but its impossible when I get rammed all the time and the game thinks its my fault.

Many Thanks,
Harrison

You have quit 7 out of the last 20 races - I guess that's a big part of your problem. Happy new year.
L9sQfuT.png

Its a pain, but dont qualify or engage anyone for a couple of races, and run the fia races and daily race C's. The FIA races can be quite brutal, but the longer races give you the opportunity to accumulate the green SR UP arrows.

Many Thanks,
Harrison
Use your radar and mirrors to avoid getting hit. And stop quitting races.

Definitely don't quit races, even if you get punted into last. Finish your races; you'll also earn achievement rewards just for doing so. Also, while you may want to score a win, and want to do so as soon as possible, then it's tempting while your DR/SR are low as you are matched with other players who are of similar ratings, but if you want to bring your SR up, don't complete a lap/post a time in the qualifying time trials, stay in the back of the field, and avoid any confrontations or contact with absolutely anybody. If someone's making a move on you, let them go, because if you get too defensive and end up cutting the course, or if contact occurs between you and someone else, then you risk your SR getting demoted as well as a penalty.

While your DR will take a noticeable hit (as it has with me, while I have been attempting to go on a Clean Races streak), your SR will go up significantly in no time.

Many Thanks,
Harrison

I feel your pain, having started online racing on Boxing day. I've referred to this in other posts - joined the forum today.

I've aimed to drive a clean race every time, but have been battered by morons who think they're driving bumper cars. As such my SR rating fell from S back to default in just one day. Very disheartening, particularly when I receive the penalty and they don't.

Retaliation is tempting, but you end up spinning off yourself, so I've found the best approach is to stay calm, steer your course and you'll see that those busting a gut to pass you will over cook corners and end up in the gravel.

Just to clarify it @Harrison Day in case you're unaware, when you quit a race you don't just loose SR for any bumps you had but you also get an additional SR penalty added on top of that so it's a double whammy.
You've got one race where you quit during warm up before the race had even started and it still slugged you -4 SR for it.

Also as already mentioned the longer race C is what you should focus on.
With race A and B from memory once you get 3 SR's down it's then impossible to finish the race with a gain.
In race C you can get 4 or 5 SR's down but there are more than enough sectors to pick up green SR on and finish the race with a net gain.

Remember that even going off track by yourself or just scraping a wall can be enough to stop you getting a green SR for any given sector.

Many Thanks,
Harrison

From what I've read in this thread, I think you really only need to do one thing. STOP RAGE QUITTING RACES.

Many Thanks,
Harrison
Question
When you racing and you find nothing wrong and each sector has been clean.
Then out off no where another car is on your bumper. You try to push more but cannot shake the car infact the car is faster than you.
What do you do?
Do you let the car go and continue your race?
Do you keep blocking the car knowing you're spoiling your race & the car behind until you loose it and go off?
Do you drive fair & clean until you noticed you loosing time then let the car go so you don't loose anymore time?
I ask because sometimes blocking faster cars can end up in you being rammed because you may brake to early etc.
Just something to think about when racing.

Question
When you racing and you find nothing wrong and each sector has been clean.
Then out off no where another car is on your bumper. You try to push more but cannot shake the car infact the car is faster than you.
What do you do?
Do you let the car go and continue your race?
Do you keep blocking the car knowing you're spoiling your race & the car behind until you loose it and go off?
Do you drive fair & clean until you noticed you loosing time then let the car go so you don't loose anymore time?
I ask because sometimes blocking faster cars can end up in you being rammed because you may brake to early etc.
Just something to think about when racing.

What do you consider blocking?

When I have a faster car behind me I won't contest any valid pass attempts they make. I'll stay on the racing line and won't block, slowing a bit earlier or a little extra if they start a pass. It's the safest way. Slowing to let someone by puts you in danger from the car behind them. Pulling over can create accidents. Simply not defending and staying on the racing line is the safest thing you can do.

However since we're often dealing with idiots online.... I will defend or block in places where it's not safe to pass and any nonsense will 100% lead to an accident or both losing a lot of time. Some people see staying on the racing line as blocking and will bump you out of the way, incapable of driving any other line than the racing line through corners. Always keep an eye on that rear view mirror, it's more important than front view in GT Sport. Avoiding stuff that happens in front is easy, avoiding what people try to pull off behind you is the hard part.

But yeah, don't quit if you want to build SR. Quitting costs 5 SR and you lose out on the rest of the SR ups for the current race. If you get desperate, drive behind in race C, plenty SR to pick up. Of course if you can't drive clean, please don't come messing up SR.S! SR.B is the best place to learn race craft. Matchmaking is at its best there since SR.B is the most populated. Plenty close racing there to learn how to take different lines through corners, overtake safely and avoid problems.

What do you consider blocking?

When I have a faster car behind me I won't contest any valid pass attempts they make. I'll stay on the racing line and won't block, slowing a bit earlier or a little extra if they start a pass. It's the safest way. Slowing to let someone by puts you in danger from the car behind them. Pulling over can create accidents. Simply not defending and staying on the racing line is the safest thing you can do.

However since we're often dealing with idiots online.... I will defend or block in places where it's not safe to pass and any nonsense will 100% lead to an accident or both losing a lot of time. Some people see staying on the racing line as blocking and will bump you out of the way, incapable of driving any other line than the racing line through corners. Always keep an eye on that rear view mirror, it's more important than front view in GT Sport. Avoiding stuff that happens in front is easy, avoiding what people try to pull off behind you is the hard part.

But yeah, don't quit if you want to build SR. Quitting costs 5 SR and you lose out on the rest of the SR ups for the current race. If you get desperate, drive behind in race C, plenty SR to pick up. Of course if you can't drive clean, please don't come messing up SR.S! SR.B is the best place to learn race craft. Matchmaking is at its best there since SR.B is the most populated. Plenty close racing there to learn how to take different lines through corners, overtake safely and avoid problems.

Here are somethings I would call blocking

when you have made your move then at the last second you move over in the way off the other car.

when you're on a straight you make your move say to the left to keep the inside line, the car behind you goes to the right you still Infront but the other car is say at your rear door you can hear the other car engine. Then you start to move over to the right until the other car is in on the grass.
That's two types of blocking. I could go on.

I have never said slow down & let them by. If the car is faster it can overtake you without you loosing to much time, You have to do your thing & keep on your racing line & not swing to the left & right.
You giving them space is more than enough, if that person hit you still then it them at fault & either way that person was going to hit you.
That's the type a things i call blocking.

Keeping vigilant, keep your distance and knowing when and where you can get close will come with time. Personally I don’t trust 90% of players when following me. Always use your radar when in close quarters.

My SR routinely dips from dirty drivers. It's unavoidable due to the penalty system tagging the wrong person. I don't worry about it and just go on to the next race.
sr.png

My SR routinely dips from dirty drivers. It's unavoidable due to the penalty system tagging the wrong person. I don't worry about it and just go on to the next race.
View attachment 880102

Interesting stats and thanks for posting.

I haven't put mine into graph format, but have been keeping a note of progress since 26 DEC, when I first started playing online. The ongoing scores are given below

Score Races Completed
5649 / 67 100
4896 / 82 112
5863 / 99 125
4887 / 89 132
4795 / 99 140

My current rating is DR C / SR S and I would be interested if anyone knows what drives these scores. The matching process places me on various points on the grid and I usually manage to better that position, particularly if I start say 8th and lower.

I've managed up to three clean races in succession, until the run is spoilt by some hothead, who decides to barge me out of the way. This seems crazy from the other SR S drivers I'm usually matched against and from whom I would have expected a better standard.

I see the SR graph goes up to 100 and I wonder if this is the maximum?

I can understand why the SR has improved with the clean races, yet I'm confused why my DR is falling when I'm finishing better than grid position as stated. I'm wondering if you need wins or podium places to drive your rating higher?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Regards

Nick

My current rating is DR C / SR S and I would be interested if anyone knows what drives these scores. The matching process places me on various points on the grid and I usually manage to better that position, particularly if I start say 8th and lower.

I can understand why the SR has improved with the clean races, yet I'm confused why my DR is falling when I'm finishing better than grid position as stated. I'm wondering if you need wins or podium places to drive your rating higher?
The game first splits everyone by SR, so if you're in the 90-99 range, you race other people in that range. It then sorts everyone by driver rating, so the top x are split 1, then the next x highest driver rating are split 2 etc. So you're racing against other people near your driver rating. The grid is then sorted by qualifying time, so putting in a better QT than everyone else in your race is your first opportunity to show you deserve a higher driver rating. The change in your driver rating is then determined by your finish position, and the ratings of other drivers. You gain more DR for beating higher rated drivers. For any given race, you'll always gain the most DR by winning. The lowest finish position that will still gain you DR isn't easy to work out, you'd need to know everyone else's driver rating to work it out. Some people say that you gain DR by finishing above your door number, and lose DR by finishing below it, but this is not correct.

I can understand why the SR has improved with the clean races, yet I'm confused why my DR is falling when I'm finishing better than grid position as stated.
You don't need to finish better than your grid position, although it's better if you do. Your start position is ultimately meaningless, only your finish position counts, because you gain DR from drivers you place ahead of (more gain if their DR is higher) and lose it to those who place ahead of you (more loss if their DR is lower). The amount you gain and lose is relative to the difference in raw DR score between you.

It's not easy to work out where your minimum finishing position for DR gain is, because - as @breeminator points out - you need to know everyone's DR. That's kind of displayed by the number board on everyone's car but, especially at DR C and below, it's not something you should put too much stock in. The door number is actually your DR score ranked alphabetically, so someone with a DR of 9 (and thus usually DR D) would be ranked higher than someone with a DR of 8,999 (thus usually DR C).

What you should be looking to do is finish both ahead of what that number says and in the top half of the order so there's more drivers behind you than in front of you (so you're gaining DR from more drivers than you're losing DR to). Even then, if there's some particularly odd DR scores in the lobby, that might not be enough to gain DR.

Back