STUPID LAPPED CARS!!!!!!

• Thread starter Blair mann
  • 67 comments
The funny thing is, the SR ratings are there to try and get people to race clean.

I go into every race hoping for a clean and fair race, but I never expect it. The race I had in G4 daily last night was epic. Traded places with the person in 1st three or four times, never once did we touch. I lost by .300 of a second but it was the most fun I've had racing since I bought the game. I'm the type of person that would still enjoy that battle for 15th place.

I think one of the main problems is you have people who are great at just hot lapping, and some who are great at racing wheel to wheel. A hot lapper who gets pole and checks out won't have any issues, but put them in the mix with two or three other racers and they don't know how to act. All they want to do is check out as quickly as possible and cannot read the situation and plan a pass. Rarely will I make a spontaneous pass on someone, I follow, see where I am strong or weak, and plan accordingly.

I also believe a problem is some people who use a DS4 instead of a wheel have a harder time holding a line, especially in decreasing radius corners.
Agreed I finish better than halfway every single race. And all I have to do is drive at a lazy 7/10ths pace. Half the time I brake earlier than the two guys in front of me, watch them make contact, and then pass BOTH with ease. My vehicle must ooze with smugness as I pass by. As if my driver were flying the bird.

A proper implementation of blue flags would be the ideal answer.

A clear indication on the screen of the lapped car, and a penalty if they haven’t given way with a period of time or number of corners?

Just ghosting them would cheapen the whole thing like others have said..

Depending on the real life racing org as to what complying with a blue flag actually entails.

Some orgs. a blue flag means to give way to the faster approaching traffic at the first safe opportunity to do so.
Where in the next org. the blue flag is just giving an acknowledgement that faster traffic is approaching and to safely maintain your racing line.

Blue flag or not, lapper's or not, it is always the overtaking drivers responsibility to safely complete the overtake and it is always the one being overtaken that should maintain what would be considered a predictable racing line.

In longer races dealing with lapped traffic is common and most orgs do not require the lapped traffic to "give way" but rather maintain their racing line and speed and in many cases where the leaders catch the lapped traffic can and does affect whether that traffic holds them up looking for a safe place to make the overtake.

Many real life multiple second leads evaporate because of where a leader may catch the lapped traffic and in some cases a little breathing room can emerge among leaders because one was able to clear the lapped traffic prior to getting to a sector of track where there is only one racing line and another in the leaders group failed to get clear.

I can understand the "Sportsman" aspect towards the last laps of a race of a lapped car trying to get out of the way and not wanting to affect the outcome of the race. But from a mandatory aspect a car in the same class, same race on the same race track has the same rights to a racing line as any other competitor on the track and as in all situations it is up to a leader to pass a car safely that is holding their racing speed and line.

If a lapped car is intentionally trying to block a leader from passing then that is a different scenario and the offending lapped driver should be black flagged and removed from the race. The black flag means the same in all racing orgs. as far as I know.

I experienced this yesterday in the Gr 4 and Gr 3 races. In the Gr 4 races, I was leading 3 times in a row and coming to lap the rear. In the first race, the last place guy let me through but the next guy had other plans. I slowed, tried to give him room, tried to pass on the straight even and he blatantly slams me to the pit wall. Same thing happened in the second race, but it happened to me after the long first turn. Instead of being passed and just driving his race in the back, seconds off pace, he decides that he doesn't want to be lapped so spins me right towards the entrance of the quick left/right instead of trying to take the turn! The last race was even worse. I qualified 3rd but the top 2 weren't fast in race pace. So I pass them both and on the second lap, 2nd place just spins me in the final turn going way too fast. Only consolation finishing 12th was fastest lap :lol:

In the Gr 3 race, I was running 3rd in the RC F GT3 which is not the fastest car but still holding my own on worn tires, the last lap, 4th place guy rams me in turn 1 and I hit the wall getting a 5 second penalty on top of the spin. He gets a 10 second penalty but still finished ahead of me because he gets so far ahead. Absolutely terrible. SR dropped from B to C now I'm stuck with slowpokes and losers like I just had incidents with.

SR dropped from B to C now I'm stuck with slowpokes and losers like I just had incidents with.

If I understand the rating system,
the DR rating is determined by the drivers speed, position gaining ability and advancing against higher rated drivers advancing that rating quicker.

The SR rating system rates according to the number of incident free sectors or races as compared to the number of sectors or races where a driver is involved in an off track or collision with another driver, and at times you do not have to be at fault to be penalized.

So if I am correct your drop in SR rating should not really place you with slower paced drivers but more with more careless drivers. Again not a good situation if you land in that situation through no actual fault of your own.

I have for right now backed off the daily events as not only interested to the hit that my SR may take I know that with the lack of prep time for the drivers getting used to the track, learning the racing lines and proper speeds acceptable to maintain control and not run into other racers as they approach those braking points at race pace that due to the carnage and drastic speed differences among the racers that the chance of being frustrated outweighs the chance of enjoyment currently with the way the daily events are being applied.

I know some people do not like the longer held events but I can say in the GR4 races after about 3 days many races were run with 80% of the field lapping within a few 10ths of each other making for some exciting and close clean basically contact free racing.

Sure if you were slotted in the 9th grid position of a 4 lap race you have virtually no chance to win the race but you could have multiple very hard fought CLEAN battles along the way to a 6th place finish. People always say they want realistic racing and in most real life racing a top ten is a pretty good finish and a top 5 is considered a really good day at the track.

Even in the real world it is common for the same drivers and teams to finish in the top spots with the rest of the racers finishing out the grids.

But back to your SR drop you will get it back but I personally feel that these one day events will not be to the benefit to the games enjoyment of those planning to stick around the game longer term where the ratings will affect your future match ups.

I love the "passing lapped cars is part of racing" idea. Let's conveniently ignore the dozens of other parts of the game that don't mimic real life racing but apply that standard to this one thing:lol:

Wait till we get mixed class races !

Personally i think it adds an extra dynamic to racing but thats just me .
Lapped cars are easy to overtake anyway , coast and take the inside line after a bend your way faster anyway hence your lapping them .
I think i'm just easy to please to be honest , i would be a crap game tester hehe !

I love the "passing lapped cars is part of racing" idea. Let's conveniently ignore the dozens of other parts of the game that don't mimic real life racing but apply that standard to this one thing:lol:
Try playing Project Cars 2 which has a blue flag warning system but the people lapping are too eager and slam into the back of you anyway which is a clear example not giving a chance to safely move out of the way, the onus is for the faster driver to overtake safely.

I can show numerous of videos where I've dropped places like down to 17th and claw my way back upto 5th with an S rating, back markers are no different and are slower than you and it's best not to overtake on S bends on tracks like Suzuka :D I'm joking btw

Last edited:
Back