Stupid Things you believed as a kid...

• Thread starter Brend
  • 285 comments
Mainstream hip hop and rock sounded good (we've ALL been there before)
That the Bugatti Veyron was the best car ever made *facepalm*

I'm going to build my own airplanes with flapping wings.:)

Good luck. :scared:

Another actually was related to a motorway that went directly under the final approach to the airport, and I always used to duck in the car since I thought they would use the motorway as part of the runway. Weird I know.

Not that I believe in milk cartons coming alive or anything but they're just so cute. :dopey:

This is more of something that I remember watching from my childhood and will probably remember it till the day I die. Like seriously.

That the fire out of the back of spaceships made them go faster. My spaceship drawing always included flamethrowers on the back

TankAss95
My brother convinced me that you lost weight by visualising yourself doing exercise.
Ass****.

No i sware to god i read an article were they were testing these people and they would be running inthere mind and they lost weight. It was a tiny tiny bit but it is true

Last edited by a moderator:
That the fire out of the back of spaceships made them go faster. My spaceship drawing always included flamethrowers on the back

Actually what is wrong with that according to you? In space you do not have anything to push against (except using the gravitational fields of stellar bodies), so the way you move is throw things (generally a flame of exploding matter) to the back and due to the action/reaction you move in the opposite direction. The flames in a moon landing is that you are accelerating against the gravitational force of the moon, just to have a soft landing.

Zupplu
No i sware to god i read an article were they were testing these people and they would be running inthere mind and they lost weight. It was a tiny tiny bit but it is true

I couldn't tell you if this specific test actually happened or not, but if this test were actually carried out the result would likely be what you said. There have been other tests like it. It is called the "Placebo effect." When medicines are being tested, the give some patients the real medicine and some patients "placebos" which are just sugar pills with no medicine. The results of how the medicine worked are compared to how the placebo worked to determine if the drug actually does anything or not. The interesting thing about this is that some patients who got the placebo actually experienced benefits from what the drug is supposed to do even though they are not really taking medicine. Why? Because the human mind is a powerful thing. If your brain is telling you that you are going to experience certain things, such as effects from a drug, then you will probably experience them. This is why hypnotism works. If you can make someone seriously believe they are a chicken, then they will walk around like a chicken and balk like a chicken.

Sorry for the off topic post... I just thought this was a good bit of information.

I couldn't tell you if this specific test actually happened or not, but if this test were actually carried out the result would likely be what you said. There have been other tests like it. It is called the "Placebo effect." When medicines are being tested, the give some patients the real medicine and some patients "placebos" which are just sugar pills with no medicine. The results of how the medicine worked are compared to how the placebo worked to determine if the drug actually does anything or not. The interesting thing about this is that some patients who got the placebo actually experienced benefits from what the drug is supposed to do even though they are not really taking medicine. Why? Because the human mind is a powerful thing. If your brain is telling you that you are going to experience certain things, such as effects from a drug, then you will probably experience them. This is why hypnotism works. If you can make someone seriously believe they are a chicken, then they will walk around like a chickent and balk like a chicken.

Sorry for the off topic post... I just thought this was a good bit of information.

This sounds like what these "Energy Ion Bands" do...like this: http://energyarmor.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=54

Vince_Fiero
Actually what is wrong with that according to you? In space you do not have anything to push against (except using the gravitational fields of stellar bodies), so the way you move is throw things (generally a flame of exploding matter) to the back and due to the action/reaction you move in the opposite direction. The flames in a moon landing is that you are accelerating against the gravitational force of the moon, just to have a soft landing.

No i mean after launch if you were to fly inside the earths atmosphere, and that flame throwers would have a substantial impact

I used to think condoms were for tongues because kissing got you pregnant. I used to think the censor for automated urinals had cameras that spied on your wang.

I bit of a clever child, so not much pops up at the moment, but here's something interesting; I used to think that the funny-bone was actually a bone.

I completely understood that the arm didn't have an equivalent to the patella, but using completely different trains of thought, I thought that the funny bone was a singular patella-like bone in the elbow.

It wasn't until sixth grade when these two trains finally merged, and I had a tiny breakdown in science class. By tiny, I of course mean a solid and loud facepalm.

I used to think that the car actually knew that you were going to turn, and would switch on the turn signals accordingly. I was always so fascinated with that, and I don't think my parents ever told me the truth, or if they even knew. I guess I figured out how the actually worked by myself.

Classic
There were these alarms in Tesco attached to Digital devices that had a little Spider symbol on them, I was convinced that if you tried to break the alarm off and steal the item hundreds of little spiders would come out of the little black container and eat you alive.

I'm still afraid of shop-lifting.
Fun fact: they're called "spider wraps", hence the spider.

Back