SuckerPunch...

Messages
193
Has anybody seen the commercials for this crazy @$$ epic,sci-fi-action flick? Looks totally off the hook...can't wait til it comes out. Looks like it'll be a pretty fun flick:dopey:
 
It has Zack Snyder's name on it, so I'm giving it as wide a berth as I can manage. If WATCHMEN is anything to go by, SUCKER PUNCH will probably be all style and no substance - only worse.
 
The screenshots i saw were amazing.
The story is a bit wierd though, at least the bits i heard
 
All style works for me! The movie looks pretty crazy...and I'll definitely try to catch it.
 
OK, so now that it's out, can we have a discussion on it? A few minutes ago, I was arguing with about 20 people on whether it was any good or not, then I got banned. What do you guys think, is it just full of action scenes that appear to make no sense and only got positive reviews because of the t&a, or was it more complex, and a stroke of genius from the director?

Personally, I go with the latter. It may have been a huge metaphor for something, like the feminist movement, but it could be anything else too. One of the main reasons I enjoyed it was how it messed with your mind, you don't make the connections while watching the movie, but afterwards you (or me at least) go "ohhhh!, how did I miss that?" It's really hard to say why I liked it, because when I say a point, I kind of need a whole essay to back it up because otherwise I'd just look dumb and it wouldn't make sense.

If you haven't yet seen it, I urge you to do so with an open mind, no expectations like "this is going to be good/bad!". If you have already seen it, watch it again if have it at home and see past the superficial hot bad ass girls fighting some German robots.
 
Going to see it tomorrow at a friends.
Will update with my opinion on it.
 
Call me a traditionalist, but I don't think CGI explosions and boobs are a good substitute for an actual plot.

This.

Too many movies are using nudity to help get to that magic 120 min barrier.👎
 
So I sat through this movie. It was garbage. The girls aren't even that hot, except for maybe Emily Browning, and then once she opens her mouth to talk it is all ruined. To be honest, the action is pretty pointless as well so that doesn't even make up for it. Pretty explosions and slow-mo swords/bullets really can't carry a movie when everything else is awful.
 
I also sat through it, watch it on BR and a 7.1 surround system.

Audio- Visual is really cool.

But the story lacks where the visual excells.

Infact I got lost with the layers of alternate reality; 3 is a bit much and the one where they are in a borthel makes no sense at all. And that the first layer, the reality is only at the beginning and the end is even more confusing.
As for a deeper meaning, it is quite shallow. We have the power of will in us to free ourself of oppression,... pretty basic.

But I liked the 3rd layer scenes (action CGi sequences), especially the first one at the temple.

Conclusion: As a demonstration of CGi, hi-def visuals and sound it is good. Story is not.
That's my point.
But it is not really that bad as in some reviews. Don't watch the movie if you want a deep story.
Watch it for the Visual Design and it is a good demonstation.

5/10
 
Back