Suggestions Needed: Minimum Hardware Required, just getting back into Sim Racing.

• Thread starter Pako
  • 34 comments

Pako

Staff Emeritus
United States
NW Montana
GTP-Pako
GTP Pako
I am seriously thinking about getting back into Sim Racing. I have a decent computer rig so should be good there, but I have no cockpit, wheels, etc. I have done some research on Fanatec direct drive bases vs. their belt drive system and am leaning towards the DD1 for a base, but honestly I'm getting lost looking at all the options, plus with the PS5 just around the corner, cross comparability becomes another concern.

Just looking for some suggestion on getting start with a solid base that I can later expand as feature needs increase.

Look at a cockpit, seat, wheel, shifter, (hand break for some rally?), what else, is that it? Not looking to spend a fortune but don't want to throw good money at bad hardware either. Need gear I can get shipped here in the US. Any suggestions that steer me in the right direction and away from making a mistake would be greatly appreciated!

1st Priority: PC Compatibility
2nd Priority: PS5 Compatibility.

Indeed, @daan is correct.

What do you need?

• Do you want to race on a single monitor, then get a 32:9, 49" super Ultrawide monitor
  • Do you want to race on a triple monitor, get a triple monitor setup? 3 X 27" is good. If you go bigger, the resolution will go up and you need a quantum computer to play the games.
  • Are you interested in VR, wait for the HP Reverb G2 (September)
  • Get a decent steering wheel. I would not recommend a DD1 for you because you don't have the muscle to control this wheel at maximum torque :D
  • If you consider a PS5 as well, wait until you know which wheel/pedals are PC/PS5 compatible. Win/win situation
  • Get a shifter, one that is sequential and H-pattern. at the same time
  • If you don't play rally games, skip the handbrake. If you do, get a handbrake
  • Get at least a pedal set with a load cell like the T-LCM from Thrustmaster
  • The cockpit is something you can make very easily yourself and it is very cheap as well. I made my kazillion cockpit out of wood and it is so sturdy that I can't move parts of the cockpit even is I want to.
  • Button boxes and stuff like this is not necessary but makes it more real, involving and
Here it is:

dscn0095-jpg.944208

That's the question. No one knows anything about that part yet.

Indeed, @daan is correct.
What do you need?

• Do you want to race on a single monitor, then get a 32:9, 49" super Ultrawide monitor
  • Do you want to race on a triple monitor, get a triple monitor setup? 3 X 27" is good. If you go bigger, the resolution will go up and you need a quantum computer to play the games.
  • Are you interested in VR, wait for the HP Reverb G2 (September)
  • Get a decent steering wheel. I would not recommend a DD1 for you because you don't have the muscle to control this wheel at maximum torque :D
  • If you consider a PS5 as well, wait until you know which wheel/pedals are PC/PS5 compatible. Win/win situation
  • Get a shifter, one that is sequential and H-pattern. at the same time
  • If you don't play rally games, skip the handbrake. If you do, get a handbrake
  • Get at least a pedal set with a load cell like the T-LCM from Thrustmaster
  • The cockpit is something you can make very easily yourself and it is very cheap as well. I made my kazillion cockpit out of wood and it is so sturdy that I can't move parts of the cockpit even is I want to.
  • Button boxes and stuff like this is not necessary but makes it more real, involving and

Good advise on waiting on the PS5 to come out. On my PC, I ready have a quad monitor setup, triple 27's and a 39", but I think a single dedicated LG OLE with GSync is kind of what I'm looking at with a frame lock at 165hz it should be pretty nice and smooth. Looking at a 49-55" on a static mount.

I've done DIY cockpits before, but gave away my setup a few years a go to my friend for his grandson. Just a little guy. Hook him with with GT4, a PS3, G25. He's learned how to drive on it. I actually checked to see if he's still using it. Guess he does, so I'm starting from scratch again. ;)

(old setup)
DSC_0020.JPG

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/pakos-cockpit-prototype.182648/

I really don't have a lot of extra time on my hands so I'm probably going to the marketplace for the cockpit and probably not a lot of DIY.
Besides a good wheel/shifter/cockpit/seat/pedals, I'm really curious of some of the motion platforms out there. I'd like to add motion later on, but want to make sure I'm getting into a frame that would support it first. Of course, having a good foundation is kind of the starting point. I have a pretty good understanding of the basic components, but as I look at specific hardware, that's when things get a bit overwhelming. This will be a small investment, and I hate the idea of throwing good money at bad products or upgrade paths.

:cheers:

Last edited:
As you said you're thinking about getting back into it, and a 2nd priority is PS5 compatibility, I would not spend thousands right now. It was easy for me as I only care about PC, but if I were you with PS5 right around the corner I'd source a T-150 and 2x4s to hold me over.

Don't add motion @Pako. I tried it and it is literally a waste of money. That is my personal humble opinion.

Unless you could find a very good setup that simulates oversteer (traction loss) aka Yaw. That motion is in my humble opinion the only one that is needed.

Don't add motion @Pako. I tried it and it is literally a waste of money. That is my personal humble opinion.

Unless you could find a very good setup that simulates oversteer (traction loss) aka Yaw. That motion is in my humble opinion the only one that is needed.

Wow, really? That is good to know. Why did you think it was a waste? Was it just more of a distraction instead of providing immersion?

Wow, really? That is good to know. Why did you think it was a waste? Was it just more of a distraction instead of providing immersion?
Yes, but it is still personal. When I trying it out at a friend, I got annoyed very quickly. The shaking and vibrations are far from realistic and as you said a distraction.

BTW the professional motion simulators which real race car drivers use to practice have this "yaw". And I believe only yaw because that is only what you need, not only for immersion but also for the "feel" of the car.

As I said, it is personal. You should try it out somewhere if possible and decide then and not just buy a motion sim without trying it out.

Yes, but it is still personal. When I trying it out at a friend, I got annoyed very quickly. The shaking and vibrations are far from realistic and as you said a distraction.

BTW the professional motion simulators which real race car drivers use to practice have this "yaw". And I believe only yaw because that is only what you need, not only for immersion but also for the "feel" of the car.

As I said, it is personal. You should try it out somewhere if possible and decide then and not just buy a motion sim without trying it out.

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback. I'm still up here in the sticks in the mountains of Montana. Not a lot of sims around here and if there are any, they are 70 year old introverts that have build themselves a Cessna flight cabin that no one else is allowed to touch. :)

Which DD1 version you mean:
This is compatible with PS5: Podium Racing Wheel F1
This is not compatible with PS5: Podium wheel base DD1

Thank you! With the new recently announced PS4/PS5 compatability, looks like the Podium Racing Wheel F1 would give me the cross compatibility for PC and PS5. I need to try and figure out what other wheels, pedals, shifters are compatible with the F1 Podium Wheel. I'm probably wrong, but it looked like options were limited with the F1 Podium wheel and the rest of the Fanantec accessories. I'll have to look into that.

If you get the Fanatec Podium F1, you can use any Fanatec pedals. I suggest V3 or V3i.
$6k will get you plenty. There are motion rigs available within that budget. Stating the obvious to be sure you know; no motion rig will work with PS5 but will on your PC.
Last year, I upgraded to an RSeat S1 which is a sturdy stationary rig. If I had it to do over, I’d purchase an 80/20 construction type rig, as they are even more rigid.
If you consider VR and have plenty of GPU, check out the Pimax 5k headset. They offer 170 degrees of horizontal view.

Last edited:
Dang, well....keeping PS5 compatibility is expensive as a secondary motive, here is what I'm looking at:

• Podium Racing Wheel F1
  • Club Sport R300 Wheel w/ sticker pack | Or Club Sport 330mm BMW Lenkrad GT2 Wheel
  • Club Sport Pedals v3 w/ break performance kit
  • ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5
  • ClubSport Handbreak V 1.5
  • Trak Racer TR8020 Black TR160 160mm x 40mm Aluminium Cockpit with FANATEC PODIUM DD1 DD2 Wheel Mount and GT Style Seat
  • Future Upgrade - D-Box 4250i (Thinking 1,000 lb capacity is enough not needing the 4400i)
  • Single 49-55" Monitor LG OLED with G-sync
Current PC Specs:
  • i9-9900
  • eVGA 2080 Super Clock
  • 32gb Ram
  • 1TB nvme System Drive
  • Misc SSD Storage Drives
  • Oculas Rift
  • x3 Acer Preditor 2560x1440 165hz Monitors

Last edited:
So glad you’re getting a GT wheel to go with your Podium F1. So many people stretch to get a DD for PS that they drive all cars with the Formula steering wheel. Personal suggestion; consider the R330 or even 350mm wheels. I recently went from 280 to 350 and I absolutely fell in love with sim all over again. Doesn’t make sense to have arm ripping torque on a spindly size rim. Don’t worry about spinning out because you can’t stay ahead of the car’s yaw. There are other more effective means to stay on top of that.
There are many links on this very forum page (where you posted this thread). Too many to research timely. Perhaps search on YouTube for “motion sim rigs”. I’ve been researching for months now on several topics all pertaining to sim racing. Reading is great but fast-forwarding with videos (reviewing various equipment) can solidify ones knowledge quickly.
A great point was already made above; traction loss is what will make motion worthwhile. Several rigs can do it - while communicating oversteer is basic, what you really need is yaw communication for understeer.
Here’s my basic RSeat rig with 49” Samsung RU8000. Amazes me how many disregard FOV, one of the points I researched. If you made it this far without losing interest, see the link in my signature for more relevant information bubbling up in the Gran Turismo link.

Attachments

• F3727498-C875-4CD0-805B-2DD9708F2BBE.jpeg
    F3727498-C875-4CD0-805B-2DD9708F2BBE.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 6878083D-EE1D-47B3-944A-A27B336585A3.jpeg
    6878083D-EE1D-47B3-944A-A27B336585A3.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
@Rob Brown, like the setup! I was actually looking at the RSeat before you mentioned the 8020 setups. With an 8020 frame, seems adding motion down the road, like the D-Box actuators seems a bit easier than on a tubular style cockpit. I do like the single monitor setup. I've done triple and would rather have a single at this point. Lots of reading needing to be done. :)

I'm going to get into sim racing for the first time. But since I'm from a third world country, earning minimum wage, I'm gonna get a G27.
A G29 which would work with PS4 and PS5 is double the price, and even the G27 is already a bit expensive, at R$1500 (Minimum wage is R$1000). It will work with my PS3 and PC, so that's good enough.

My brother does have a PS4, but I don't really care about GT Sport all that much, and Gran Turismo's are perfectly playable with controllers anyway, so that plus the probably exorbitant price the PS5 will have here, plus probably more expensive games this gen, the dollar value being very high right now, and the fact that G29 doesn't work with a PS2 (which I plan on buying, if I can't get my fat model fixed, to play GT3 and 4, Burnout 3 and Revenge. Midnight Club 3 I have from the PS Store on my PS3), means I probably will just go with the G27.

The seat is probably gonna be an actual cheap car seat I can get, plus making a base for it to have the right height. First I could just get a better chair, with adjustable height (mine would be low for the wheel I think, but is a bit high for comfort on the keyboard and mouse while using my PC).

I'm going to get into sim racing for the first time. But since I'm from a third world country, earning minimum wage, I'm gonna get a G27.

I think the G27 is a great wheel and will add a lot to your racing experience over a controller. To stay on the affordable side, even a small folding table to mount your wheel on and a decent chair and you'd be ready to go.

I've seen TV trays like this used for $10.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GC42RZ6/?tag=gtplanet-20

You'll soon want something more stable, but it can get you going in a hurry. :)

Here's where my reading (and member advise) has led me:

• Podium Racing Wheel F1
  • Club Sport R300 Wheel w/ sticker pack | Or Club Sport 330mm BMW Lenkrad GT2 Wheel
  • Club Sport Pedals v3 w/ break performance kit
  • ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5
  • ClubSport Handbreak V 1.5
  • Trak Racer TR8020 Black TR160 160mm x 40mm Aluminium Cockpit with FANATEC PODIUM DD1 DD2 Wheel Mount and GT Style Seat
  • Future Upgrade - D-Box 4250i (Thinking 1,000 lb capacity is enough not needing the 4400i)
  • Single 49-55" Monitor LG OLED with G-sync
Current PC Specs:
  • i9-9900
  • eVGA 2080 Super Clock
  • 32gb Ram
  • 1TB nvme System Drive
  • Misc SSD Storage Drives
  • Oculas Rift
  • x3 Acer Preditor 2560x1440 165hz Monitors
I did check some of the other 8020 frames, but finding availability and shipping to the US, seemed like my choices were limited. I did see where I could design my own 8020 frame, but honestly not that ambitious at this point in my life. If anything looks glaring or missed, please advise. I feel like my list is starting to come together.

I have my 8020 frame on pre-order. I'll take my time on the Fanatec gear. It's too nice out right now be stuck inside but it will be a long winter project. I'll see if any new products come out before I order up the rest of the stuff. Hardest thing to find is a retailer for D-Box, but looks like the Gen 3 4250i will run about $8500. Not in the cards right now, but I totally can see that upgrade in the future as I get the rest of things dialed in the way I want it.

I have my 8020 frame on pre-order. I'll take my time on the Fanatec gear. It's too nice out right now be stuck inside but it will be a long winter project. I'll see if any new products come out before I order up the rest of the stuff. Hardest thing to find is a retailer for D-Box, but looks like the Gen 3 4250i will run about $8500. Not in the cards right now, but I totally can see that upgrade in the future as I get the rest of things dialed in the way I want it.
What 8020 rig did you pre-order? I just got the Sim-Lab GT-1 EVO cockpit and it is amazing. Perfect for my Fanatec DD1. I did a lot of research before buying and this one seemed to be the simplest, most adjustable/versatile, and the best priced. At just over $500 it is a great option, plus they shipped it to me in southern California in like 2 days once my order was filled.

Edit, I just noticed above that you were looking into the Trak Racer TR80, which is almost identical to the GT-1 EVO in design and price actually, you should be very happy with that rig.

What 8020 rig did you pre-order? I just got the Sim-Lab GT-1 EVO cockpit and it is amazing. Perfect for my Fanatec DD1. I did a lot of research before buying and this one seemed to be the simplest, most adjustable/versatile, and the best priced. At just over $500 it is a great option, plus they shipped it to me in southern California in like 2 days once my order was filled.

Edit, I just noticed above that you were looking into the Trak Racer TR80, which is almost identical to the GT-1 EVO in design and price actually, you should be very happy with that rig.

Yes, that's correct. The order was finally processed today. Normally I'm in a huge rush for these kinds of toys, but things are so busy right now, I don't mind slow shipping. It will be a great winter project. :)

I'm holding off on the handbrake mount at this time. I'll add it later if I really feel it will add to the experience, we'll see. Hoping the seat is comfy, my rigs in the past I actually used old Civic seats I would find at the junk yard that were awesome. Might swap it out, time will tell.

Glad you're liking your rig! Do you have a thread with any pics? Would love to see some. ;)

Yes, that's correct. The order was finally processed today. Normally I'm in a huge rush for these kinds of toys, but things are so busy right now, I don't mind slow shipping. It will be a great winter project. :)

I'm holding off on the handbrake mount at this time. I'll add it later if I really feel it will add to the experience, we'll see. Hoping the seat is comfy, my rigs in the past I actually used old Civic seats I would find at the junk yard that were awesome. Might swap it out, time will tell.

Glad you're liking your rig! Do you have a thread with any pics? Would love to see some. ;)
I bought a reclining racing seat with sliders from CARiD for like $150 that works very well. I play all types of games from F1 to rally so I like having the seat adjustment options, here's a pretty bad pic of my rig for now. The Fanatec DD1 is an expensive piece of kit, especially when you buy all the peripherals. I must be close to $5k deep into this gear by now, but it is amazing

Attachments

• GT1-EVO.jpg
    GT1-EVO.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 34
I bought a reclining racing seat with sliders from CARiD for like $150 that works very well. I play all types of games from F1 to rally so I like having the seat adjustment options, here's a pretty bad pic of my rig for now. The Fanatec DD1 is an expensive piece of kit, especially when you buy all the peripherals. I must be close to $5k deep into this gear by now, but it is amazing
That’s sick! Makes really excited while my orders or starting to confirm. Do you feel the hand brake really adds a lot?

That’s sick! Makes really excited while my orders or starting to confirm. Do you feel the hand brake really adds a lot?
If you are just starting out in a rally game like Dirt Rally 2.0, you have plenty to learn before using a handbrake, but once you master car control, you will definitely benefit from a handbrake, especially on the tight and twisty stages and RX play. Then once you get used to using the handbrake, its a must-have. I've been playing that game since it came out and at this point, I wouldn't even play the game without having a handbrake.

Couple pictures as I get things sorted out. 8020 frame is awesome. Completely happy with stiffness and versatility.
7AF731C4-A093-410A-BDA0-F13E96F5C61C.jpeg
7DA266DB-B894-439C-9B66-7A7508E49928.jpeg
0B7AF32D-8CA6-4439-9AC4-D0FF2DBA5836.jpeg

Attachments

• F72FFA7D-70B5-4807-970F-C83A46673A81.jpeg
    F72FFA7D-70B5-4807-970F-C83A46673A81.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 5DB1D75E-464A-4CB1-8CB9-D55DA2EB78C0.jpeg
    5DB1D75E-464A-4CB1-8CB9-D55DA2EB78C0.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 7D8F1552-CC54-40A8-A7DB-205E61AA7E77.jpeg
    7D8F1552-CC54-40A8-A7DB-205E61AA7E77.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 8F133028-23C2-45D5-8EEF-935E98FC4D02.jpeg
    8F133028-23C2-45D5-8EEF-935E98FC4D02.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 2827F5BF-EAE6-4426-B5E7-0305D6B1D058.jpeg
    2827F5BF-EAE6-4426-B5E7-0305D6B1D058.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 9465F36D-3D54-4D91-A6F4-6CFFFD8929F7.jpeg
    9465F36D-3D54-4D91-A6F4-6CFFFD8929F7.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 4F3256C4-C112-4BCD-AFC4-32F8B3DF8E52.jpeg
    4F3256C4-C112-4BCD-AFC4-32F8B3DF8E52.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 35
  • 340C3AD9-A3A2-4F41-8AFD-FF412590ABB4.jpeg
    340C3AD9-A3A2-4F41-8AFD-FF412590ABB4.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 33
@Pako Very, very nice. Exactly what I would have recommended! Love it, well, with one exception: What you need now, is to hang the F1 wheel on a wall hanger and get a 350mm GT steering wheel. Afterall, you don’t want all that torque to go to waste, do you?

Back