Sun also Rise Drift mission....

• Thread starter Alipapa
  • 38 comments
I find these drift missions to be pointless. There are no drift competitions in the game. Only these random missions require it.

PD would have been better off making these challenges related to trail braking or something that is actually useful to to game.
It's for the Mountain Dew kids. No cap dis be bussin! Finna be litty cuh! 🔥 Right?

Am I the only one that likes these? Not that I'm very good at them, but definitely use dualsense. All assists off worked for me (except abs default I think, but probably doesn't matter).

Just checked and YouTube has plenty of examples. Seeing what it's supposed to look like really helps. It doesn't need to be smooth.

The manual explains how points are calculated.

I find it a lot easier on controller too, but seeing some people do it on wheel makes me want to try learning it. Even when racing I have a much harder time catching a slide on wheel than controller, so maybe there is some carry over.

Seen some tips about how you have to let the wheel go and spin as you start the drift and then catch it at the perfect time, but it just seems impossible.

I too am stuck at the same expert drift mission with the BRZ right now.

Two days in already, almost 300km / 300 tries later and best I could pull off is a score of 5213, 5231 and 5234 most recently. So close, yet, sigh... The audience's «boo» and Sarah's slightly passive-aggressive «Take a deep breath, you almost had it» while I wasn't even close, didn't help either.

I tried changing the controller sensitivity from 0 to 7-10, counter-steering to strong, brake balance 5 to the back, all of them combined – and while it did improve my «average» score from around 2000-3500 to 3500-4500 on a regular basis, I couldn't get over 5000 no matter what. After setting everything back to 2, OFF and 0 respectively, I did manage to get the aforementioned 5234. First sector I'm able to get 2200-2300 on a «good» run, second sector I got 3000 once, other «good» runs around 2900. I suppose I have to leave it for a couple of days / weeks / months until my inner-balance is restored and I feel «zen» again to re-try it.

As someone who played every single Gran Turismo game and the prologues, concepts and what not, I can't believe how consistently frustrating all drifting missions have been in GT7. By far some of the least fun and grueling in the whole series. And I very well remember GT5's «NASCAR Special Event Advanced Daytona Final 2 Lap» or the more recent S-10 license with the Porsche 917 on wet Spa, where I had to turn counter-steering on to even had a chance.

Otherwise I was able to gold and win every race, championship, license and mission so far. I felt there you really «earned» or felt the reward of sticking to it, improving every little step, corner and millisecond until you get it finally. While drifting seems mostly like being lucky to get a good run. You might as well get a roulette ticket for passing the drifting missions. And when you feel like you're improving your skills even a tad, you get scores of 2000-ish again or just yeet out of the track like you're holding the controller upside down. And to add insult to the misery,
you're bound to get that same drift-BRZ as prize car once you bronze all the «The Sun Also Rises» missions. It's like getting that book you read in school and hated with a passion as birthday present. #ThanksButNoThanks

A completionist's nightmare for sure.

Last edited:
After another 150-200 km of trying, I finally did it, 5303 points, I don't care, gold is gold!

I watched another YouTube video and he recommended to turn ABS off, I somehow never thought of that as I passed everything else with ABS on Default. So my key now was to disable every driving assistant and set the controller sensitivity to 7. Just those two settings basically.

Focus on the first sector and aim for more than 2400-2600 points. I could make it work without brake or handbrake, go full throttle first, drive gently to the right side of the track, swerve to the left and start drifting into the first corner like that and fluently into the second corner, while only letting go of the throttle a tad if necessary.

When you got around 2600 points or so, brake or handbrake slightly into the long third corner. Play with the throttle mostly and especially gently, eventually flick the left analog stick quickly left/right to control the car and you should be able to get easily 2700 there. Plus those first 2600 and voilà, 5300!

Phew, wow, I tell you, if I liked drift missions, I'd play Ridge Racer or OutRun, not Gran Turismo...

Good luck all!

Last edited:
I find these drift missions to be pointless. There are no drift competitions in the game. Only these random missions require it.

PD would have been better off making these challenges related to trail braking or something that is actually useful to to game.
I'm not good at them, but I'm glad they are there. It doesn't hurt to have another tool in the box, and it's fun in more casual lobbies. Knowing how to drift can get you out of one you didn't mean to be in on the track.

Am I the only one that likes these? Not that I'm very good at them, but definitely use dualsense. All assists off worked for me (except abs default I think, but probably doesn't matter).

Just checked and YouTube has plenty of examples. Seeing what it's supposed to look like really helps. It doesn't need to be smooth.
Yes, you are the only one who likes these drifts.

I too am stuck at the same expert drift mission with the BRZ right now.

Two days in already, almost 300km / 300 tries later and best I could pull off is a score of 5213, 5231 and 5234 most recently. So close, yet, sigh... The audience's «boo» and Sarah's slightly passive-aggressive «Take a deep breath, you almost had it» while I wasn't even close, didn't help either.

I tried changing the controller sensitivity from 0 to 7-10, counter-steering to strong, brake balance 5 to the back, all of them combined – and while it did improve my «average» score from around 2000-3500 to 3500-4500 on a regular basis, I couldn't get over 5000 no matter what. After setting everything back to 2, OFF and 0 respectively, I did manage to get the aforementioned 5234. First sector I'm able to get 2200-2300 on a «good» run, second sector I got 3000 once, other «good» runs around 2900. I suppose I have to leave it for a couple of days / weeks / months until my inner-balance is restored and I feel «zen» again to re-try it.

As someone who played every single Gran Turismo game and the prologues, concepts and what not, I can't believe how consistently frustrating all drifting missions have been in GT7. By far some of the least fun and grueling in the whole series. And I very well remember GT5's «NASCAR Special Event Advanced Daytona Final 2 Lap» or the more recent S-10 license with the Porsche 917 on wet Spa, where I had to turn counter-steering on to even had a chance.

Otherwise I was able to gold and win every race, championship, license and mission so far. I felt there you really «earned» or felt the reward of sticking to it, improving every little step, corner and millisecond until you get it finally. While drifting seems mostly like being lucky to get a good run. You might as well get a roulette ticket for passing the drifting missions. And when you feel like you're improving your skills even a tad, you get scores of 2000-ish again or just yeet out of the track like you're holding the controller upside down. And to add insult to the misery,
you're bound to get that same drift-BRZ as prize car once you bronze all the «The Sun Also Rises» missions. It's like getting that book you read in school and hated with a passion as birthday present. #ThanksButNoThanks

A completionist's nightmare for sure.
Same here. I HATE these drift missions. Makes me want to play anything else but GT7, The Real Driving Simulator---NOT.

Back