Sun also Rise Drift mission....

• Thread starter Alipapa
  • 38 comments
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Sorry for using this place to bitch about the mission.

But I must have tried more than 200 times, the best I got was 5285, freaking 15 points to the gold mark...

This game drift missions are so bad. I understand there are talented people having fun drifting in this game. but what is wrong with the point system? Can PO find a professional E sport drifter to show one can constantly get the same point just like some can control their lap time within 1 sec?

Sorry, I am just fed up

Remind me again, is that the Dodge Viper one?

If so the best technique to learn is the scandinavian flick from rally. That and learning a technique about extending a drift with a combination of handbrake and brakes.

A further change (which is so much better in GT7 than any previous game) is the fact that in an FR car (and some others) you can do low speed drifts by holding the brakes on slightly whilst continuing to mash the throttle lol

Forgive me if you are already doing most of this:
  • Use a controller (thanks @Oi Oi JC )
  • Be in Manual because your gear is incredibly important
  • Turn off all assists except ABS and TCS which you should default to 1 but you can test what works for you
  • Use the handbrake more than you likely are currently, it's not a button but a handle for a reason
  • Don't go too fast (I don't remember the exact run but in most of them you can go fast in the first section but need to slow a lot for the second)
  • Shift the brake force around, I think I chucked it all at the rear (you can use the in car computer for this)
I'm no master but I knocked these out in about an hour. I can't say I loved them but I wanted these and the cone challenges gone asap because they are not really my bag. Sadly, I still have Eco to do.

Last edited:
I found all of them fairly easy to gold Al except the last one with the viper that took a fair few goes & even then I only got gold by 100 or so points.
I use a T-GT for everything except the drifting, I just can't drift with a wheel lol 🤪
The dual sense is great for drifting, use manual gears, tc is off by default for drift challenges & cannot be changed (obviously) & no counter steering assistance will give you more accuracy & control but you need to be a little more precise with your stick movements.

THX for the tips.

Drifting with wheel is also hopeless for me, even if I turn all the FFB down to mimic a real car. I actually did okay with the viper one after watching some YouTube video. Will probably try again tomorrow.

BRZ Drift, shoot in the first section at the highest possible speed but in a controlled manner, the drift angle should be as high as possible, there are 2500 to almost 3000 points here, if that is done, reduce the transition to zone 2 a lot of speed and then cleanly and slowly drift the turn. Transitioning into zone two at the optimal pace was the biggest challenge for me and then into zone 2 not to overdo it.

THX for the tips.

Drifting with wheel is also hopeless for me, even if I turn all the FFB down to mimic a real car. I actually did okay with the viper one after watching some YouTube video. Will probably try again tomorrow.
Same here. Racing with a G29 but drifting I find impossible to do with a wheel.

BRZ Drift, shoot in the first section at the highest possible speed but in a controlled manner, the drift angle should be as high as possible, there are 2500 to almost 3000 points here, if that is done, reduce the transition to zone 2 a lot of speed and then cleanly and slowly drift the turn. Transitioning into zone two at the optimal pace was the biggest challenge for me and then into zone 2 not to overdo it.
Yep I go into sector 1 flat in 4th then brake down to 3rd & go fairly slow in 3rd for the 2nd sector.

Being precise/gentle on the throttle trigger is also important for drift challenges.

Last edited:
Same here. Racing with a G29 but drifting I find impossible to do with a wheel.

Exactly the same for me.

Forgive me if you are already doing most of this:
  • Be in Manual because your gear is incredibly important
  • Turn off all assists except ABS and TCS which you should default to 1 but you can test what works for you
  • Use the handbrake more than you likely are currently, it's not a button but a handle for a reason
  • Don't go too fast (I don't remember the exact run but in most of them you can go fast in the first section but need to slow a lot for the second)
  • Shift the brake force around, I think I chucked it all at the rear (you can use the in car computer for this)
I'm no master but I knocked these out in about an hour. I can't say I loved them but I wanted these and the cone challenges gone asap because they are not really my bag. Sadly, I still have Eco to do.
This mission is the only one I have left. I think my highest score so far is just shy of 5100. I'm going to try this method.

Did it with the wheel, the key was to use counter steering assist on strong.
Tried it like 100 times without assists and made it in like 10-15 tries with CSA after that.

Sorry for using this place to bitch about the mission.

But I must have tried more than 200 times, the best I got was 5285, freaking 15 points to the gold mark...

This game drift missions are so bad. I understand there are talented people having fun drifting in this game. but what is wrong with the point system? Can PO find a professional E sport drifter to show one can constantly get the same point just like some can control their lap time within 1 sec?

Sorry, I am just fed up
rest assured plenty of amateur drifters do 6k+ consistently.
Did it with the wheel, the key was to use counter steering assist on strong.
Tried it like 100 times without assists and made it in like 10-15 tries with CSA after that.
it's sad that CSA was even allowed for this. makes your car a R32 basically.
you would have got there by natural means in the end.

rest assured plenty of amateur drifters do 6k+ consistently.

it's sad that CSA was even allowed for this. makes your car a R32 basically.
you would have got there by natural means in the end.
I am sure you can drift with keyboard as well

I'm still stuck at the Viper one. I'm terrible at it. I'm thinking of using the controller for this one. For some reason I always found it easier that way.

Don't mind them personally! Did mine on controller. Can't go into the second section too hot - notice I brake or drop gear to steady myself before setting up for the second drift.

If you're not getting at least 2500 in the first part. Restart. Very hard to get 5000+ on the second! Good luck :D

Manual:

Automatic:

Don't mind them personally! Did mine on controller. Can't go into the second section too hot - notice I brake or drop gear to steady myself before setting up for the second drift.

If you're not getting at least 2500 in the first part. Restart. Very hard to get 5000+ on the second! Good luck :D

Manual:

Automatic:

Thank you mate!
(I’m on the BRZ sun also rises dirift)

I’m thinking about letting try to my grandson..

Thank you mate!
(I’m on the BRZ sun also rises dirift)

I’m thinking about letting try to my grandson..
Ahhhh sorry mate, I saw some mentions of the Viper earlier and also kinda wrongly assumed (as the Viper one often attracts complaints regarding its difficulty) and completely overlooked the fact that you were referring to the BRZ!

Ahhhh sorry mate, I saw some mentions of the Viper earlier and also kinda wrongly assumed (as the Viper one often attracts complaints regarding its difficulty) and completely overlooked the fact that you were referring to the BRZ!
No problem :)

Did you gold the BRZ?

No problem :)

Did you gold the BRZ?
I did/I have but no videos - I thought it was simpler than Viper.

Key for the BRZ is controlling the car using the accelerator unlike the Viper which basically needs a controlled handbrake flick to get the back out for a big drift.

My apologies for the necrobump, but this mission is stupid and impossible.
I have won numerous video racing games, consistently beating AI in over a dozen arcade racing games and another dozen or two home racing games. I've outrun celebrity gamers on them and won local championships. That amount of skill should make this mission a breeze.
It's not. I'm stuck at 4300 points. The sole reason I'm doing this is for the 2J, which Hagerty refuses to sell. I have gold on all the other Sun Also Rises missions except the last because I haven't tried it. I golded two or three of them on the first try and the others in about an hour each.
I'm using a stock Dual Sense and have tried everything I can with the assists.
Is there a way to save state the game in the middle of this mission? I can hit 2,500 points on section 1 easily, section 2 is just impossible no matter what I do.
EDIT: Just golded Bathurst a couple hours ago and knocked out a couple silvers on different missions and my first gold on IB. That drift mission is the last thing I have to do in Sun Also Rises. I have silver on it. Sadly there are two other drift missions, one with a Viper and one with a Mustang, which I doubt will handle anywhere even close to real life.

Last edited:
Without seeing what you're doing and how it's hard to tell what you should/could change, this test isn't easy for many players no matter how experienced they are otherwise. Other drivers don't have any problems with drifting in GT7... I'm certainly not one of them, but I managed the missions and the Viper didn't pose too much of a problem for me.

Creating in S1 2500 is quite good. It helped me to reduce a lot of speed right at the end of S1 and take the hairpin in a smooth slow drift.

I usually drift better with active countersteering assistants and an automatic transmission.

My apologies for the necrobump, but this mission is stupid and impossible.
I have won numerous video racing games, consistently beating AI in over a dozen arcade racing games and another dozen or two home racing games. I've outrun celebrity gamers on them and won local championships. That amount of skill should make this mission a breeze.
It's not. I'm stuck at 4300 points. The sole reason I'm doing this is for the 2J, which Hagerty refuses to sell. I have gold on all the other Sun Also Rises missions except the last because I haven't tried it. I golded two or three of them on the first try and the others in about an hour each.
I'm using a stock Dual Sense and have tried everything I can with the assists.
Is there a way to save state the game in the middle of this mission? I can hit 2,500 points on section 1 easily, section 2 is just impossible no matter what I do.
EDIT: Just golded Bathurst a couple hours ago and knocked out a couple silvers on different missions and my first gold on IB. That drift mission is the last thing I have to do in Sun Also Rises. I have silver on it. Sadly there are two other drift missions, one with a Viper and one with a Mustang, which I doubt will handle anywhere even close to real life.
You are not the only one that feels like this. I have given up on the last two drift missions as I am a wheel user and quite frankly can't be bothered to put the hours into perfecting using the hand controller. After many agonising attempts I only managed Silver on the last 2.

Tip: You may find the arcade view (the one where you hover behind the car in mid air) to be a little easier.

If it is any consolation the 2J will eventually pop. I had to buy mine too ;-)

Arcade view helped for the cone missions. All it did here though is show me the number of times I got "off track" when I clearly had one wheel still on the road.

+1 using a G29 wheel and find drifting impossible. I've watched videos, tried lots of settings, practiced 100+ times. I can't really even score points, I just go right off the track as soon as I hit the handbrake button.

Back