Super Mario Maker Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Com Fox
  • 56 comments
Australia
Central Coast, NSW
EelX 5
640px-Super_Mario_Maker_-_Logo_01.svg.png

Here is the discussion thread for the new game coming out this year. Mario Maker. Where you can easily design your own Mario levels and share them online.

Personally, this is probably the biggest Mario game I'm hyped for. Ever since playing SMB Deluxe on the Game Boy. I've been drawing up my Mario Stages and now they can come to life with a tool inspired from Mario Paint which looks simple to use. I'm not one to care if a Creation game isn't done prefectly as long as I can make something, I am happy :D.

Last edited:
I'm less interested in creating Mario levels and more interested in this being a zany follow-up to Mario Paint, just like how the point of playing Mario Paint wasn't really to make paintings. I just wonder how far the customizability will go. If there's a new music composer, I'm on board. :)

I gotta say, after the NWC finale and seeing more of the game, I'm on board with Super Mario Maker. :) Today Nintendo Enthusiast shared a list of online features for the game:
  • Follow your favorite makers
  • See how many people have played each of your courses.
  • Pictures showing an overview of the course.
  • Name your course whatever you want
  • Star Ranking – courses are ranked by popularity, give stars to what you’ve played depending on how much you liked it
  • Featured – levels picked by Nintendo to be featured
  • Up & Coming – things that haven’t been ranked, or just came out
  • Filter by difficulty (easy, normal, expert), by time period, or by location
  • Difficulty determined dynamically by how many people completed the course
  • See clear rate (both percentage & number of attempts and number of completions)
  • Leave comments on a level at any time (while playing or after completing it)
  • Shows you where other people have died once you die
  • Search option

I'm really interested to see what'll happen. These new features look nice.

For me, I'm probably going to create my own Mario game, using each of the Worlds nd making easy levels first to sheer impossible :P

Some pretty good stats available there. I caught the end of NWC live as I waited for the Fallout show. I wouldn't call myself a big Mario fan tbh but it looks really fun. Have not looked at the Wii U much beforehand but I'm searching for 1 or 2 more games now to justify the purchase in my own mind.

It really just does depend on your taste in games! My Wii U has been justified by:
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Super smash Bros
  • Splatoon
  • Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze
Between these games I have logged 600 hours+ and there's been other fun games along the way. I still prefer my wii u to my PS4 currently.
Some pretty good stats available there. I caught the end of NWC live as I waited for the Fallout show. I wouldn't call myself a big Mario fan tbh but it looks really fun. Have not looked at the Wii U much beforehand but I'm searching for 1 or 2 more games now to justify the purchase in my own mind.

Yeah, MK8 is a must for me so there's 2 so far. Not really feeling any of the others on your list there going off youtube vids, just scanning Metacritic now.

Quick question @Classic ... Is the white Wii good enough? It's quite cheap and I think I remember yours was the white one when you posted a shameless bragging photo in the Pcars section :lol:

I have the black one but have a white skinned PS4! :P if you don't intend on downloading full retail titles or have an external HDD then the basic white is perfectly fine!
If you can find it cheap you should go for it if you want to try the wii u out!
Yeah, MK8 is a must for me so there's 2 so far. Not really feeling any of the others on your list there going off youtube vids, just scanning Metacritic now.

Quick question @Classic ... Is the white Wii good enough? It's quite cheap and I think I remember yours was the white one when you posted a shameless bragging photo in the Pcars section :lol:

@TrevorPhilips -- You could always connect an external hard drive or use a USB stick, but the USB stick is considered risky for data loss. I only have 10GB left on my 32GB Wii U, and I'm not really big into digital downloads, with only one retail title on there (Wind Waker HD). The eShop is the Wii U's source for third party games, though, with some real gems from indie devs, some exclusive and some not. There's also Virtual Console stuff and unique deals like Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I recommend giving Splatoon a second look, because I wasn't sure about it myself until I tried the Global Testfire demo before launch. It's an addicting and exceptionally strategic game, and they'll be expanding the limited offerings (primary complaint around the 'net) with an update in August.

I have a bit of an idea of what I'm going to do for my Mario Adventure. Have every level end with the Boss Bridge, and probably have a crazy Enemy set up as the "Mini-Bosses" in the first 3 levels of the world with Bowsr jr./Bowser (maybe Koopalings if they'll be in it), in the 4th level of the world. I think Boss Bridges can only be in castles so I'll have to make a Warp Pipe at the end of every "Main Level" that leads to the Boss Bridge in the first 3 levels (I'll make the 4th level castles)

Curious if we can also created text speakers like in SMW, if so, then I could even make a proper story :).

@TrevorPhilips -- You could always connect an external hard drive or use a USB stick, but the USB stick is considered risky for data loss. I only have 10GB left on my 32GB Wii U, and I'm not really big into digital downloads, with only one retail title on there (Wind Waker HD). The eShop is the Wii U's source for third party games, though, with some real gems from indie devs, some exclusive and some not. There's also Virtual Console stuff and unique deals like Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I recommend giving Splatoon a second look, because I wasn't sure about it myself until I tried the Global Testfire demo before launch. It's an addicting and exceptionally strategic game, and they'll be expanding the limited offerings (primary complaint around the 'net) with an update in August.

Yeah I was thinking I'd probably go white just because of my white PS4 and add an external HD. Looking around at prices though, the black works out only £9 more if I combine MK8 with the white. I already have an external HD so I might go black just for the fact that my white PS4 pad is looking very 'Anniversary grey' at the moment.

I might pick up Splatoon around August then as it's pretty cheap anyway and worth a shot. I did see a lot of gems in the e-shop I am interested in and it's also backward compatible, which I did not know. Since I never bothered with the Wii that opens up possibilities right there. So if all goes well I'll pull the trigger a week tomorrow. Thanks 👍

I'm glad that we can search levels through difficulty, and it is done by completion rate. I think Hard will be full "Kaizo Levels" and I was kinda worried before I knew about the difficulty system that, the levels will be full of them that it would be impossible to find well made levels.

Thankfully those levels will be easier to find but likely in the Normal and Easy sections.

OOhh...I didn't know there was a thread for this game. Over the last couple weeks this has jumped ahead of everything else as my most anticipated game :D:cool:
@TrevorPhilips - did you get it? Impressions?

OOhh...I didn't know there was a thread for this game. Over the last couple weeks this has jumped ahead of everything else as my most anticipated game :D:cool:
@TrevorPhilips - did you get it? Impressions?
I'm glad to see people who are as hyped about the game as me :D

...and it is coming out in a month and a few days :D.

The idea of effects seems really cool and it looks pretty easy to use, though not keen on hearing people talk :/

The idea of unlocking materials is a hit and miss for me at the moment. It does allow me to try out every tool available at a decent pace but that means my planned Mario Adventure would have to be put on hold until I unlock everything :(

The existence of musical note blocks gave me a brief glimmer of inspiration but then I realized that I probably don't have the patience for what it would take to wrangle an automated melody out of it like similar creations in, say, LittleBigPlanet. :)

So currently, there is rage over that the game charges you $60 and saying that it isn't worth it. AN ENDLESS MARIO GAME, NOT WORTH $60!!!!

I actually find it funny, especially considering here in Australia, the game is cheaper than Super Mario Galaxy which was around $100 while Mario Maker here is worth $80.

Though If I do choose to Pre-order than I'd have to wait until Monday because of how the Australian Posting Works. So, either. Buy it Day 1 and they might sell out. Or wait an extra 2 days and Pre-order :indiff:

All I've seen on that particular subject is just trolling from the Nintendoom bandwagon.

FYI, I've read a rumor that you can speed up the unlocking process by setting the Wii U's system clock back nine days, then working your way forward between five minute sessions. :)

Damn. This game is single-handedly making me look at getting a Wii U. I love LBP, but being able to do the same basic thing with most of Mario's back catalog? Golden.

Curse you, Nintendo! :lol:

All I've seen on that particular subject is just trolling from the Nintendoom bandwagon.

FYI, I've read a rumor that you can speed up the unlocking process by setting the Wii U's system clock back nine days, then working your way forward between five minute sessions. :)
I do believe it will possible. Since it seems it doesn't go by 24 Hours and instead immediately the next day, and editing levels will offline. So I'd think it'll depend on the Wii Us Internal Clock.

Damn. This game is single-handedly making me look at getting a Wii U. I love LBP, but being able to do the same basic thing with most of Mario's back catalog? Golden.

If 2D Mario games are a weakness of yours, it's worth pointing out that New Super Mario Bros. U is also the most inspired of all the NSMB games, IMO, approaching the quality of Super Mario World (from which it draws inspiration), and the New Super Luigi U DLC doubles down on the difficulty level with some even more inspired level design. And I wasn't very impressed with the other NSMB games, personally.

I would not have thought so prior to E3, but I wouldn't be surprised if this game moves some Wii U systems, considering the historical success of the 2D Mario games.

I love LBP(our gaming tastes co-exist again) but I do think Mario Maker looks more fun from an actual platforming perspective. LBP has the edge for outright ridiculous customization, but whats the point unless you have on-point physics and controls!

If 2D Mario games are a weakness of yours, it's worth pointing out that New Super Mario Bros. U is also the most inspired of all the NSMB games, IMO, approaching the quality of Super Mario World (from which it draws inspiration), and the New Super Luigi U DLC doubles down on the difficulty level with some even more inspired level design. And I wasn't very impressed with the other NSMB games, personally.

I would not have thought so prior to E3, but I wouldn't be surprised if this game moves some Wii U systems, considering the historical success of the 2D Mario games.
To be honest, only NSMB2 didn't impress me. NSMB was the grand return of 2D Mario and I found NSMB Wii Levels and Physics to be one of the best ever in a Mario. NSMBU was also grand for the reasons you said ;).

I'll likely make a lot more NSMBU Levels than any other style because of preference of Visuals and the added Moves to Mario will allow me to make more interesting levels. SMB3 will come 2nd due to my huge nostalgia over it when I played it on the NES. I'll make a bit of SMB 1 levels mainly though, because of its Amiibo Support.

Though, I doubt you'll see any SMW levels from me.

Guys, a friend of mine Ash who works for Nintendo is doing a Mario Maker Twitch stream this Thursday 20.08.2015 @5pm GMT.

He's hoping to cover the first full hour of the game. At www.twitch.tv/nintendouk

Will try and give this a watch. 👍

The game is so close now its hard to believe, really.
I know right, I have had a history of drawing up 2D Mario Levels since I was very little, hoping that one day, they'll become real levels, and now in less than a month, they will be.

I think I might cry :(:P

I've got a few ideas jotted down for level creation. This game could be great.

I'm wondering though, can we require the levels to be completed in a certain, secret order like 8-4 in Mario Bros. 1?

Jerome

Back