Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

United States
Azle, TX
supermanfromazle
SanjiHimura
NOTICE: The OP is for CONFIRMED items only. Second post is for items from the rumor mill.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
A.K.A. Smash for Nintendo Switch

Release Information
Release Date: December 7, 2018
Platform: Nintendo Switch
Players: Unknown. Assume up to 8 players.

Trailers

Announcement Trailer/Inkling's Confirmation Trailer

E3 Presentation

Gameplay Mechanics

- Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle are selectable via Pokemon Trainer. However, according to Sakurai, there is no penalty if you decide to stick with just one rather than switch

Confirmed Characters

NOTICE: Items from Nintendo promotional materials count to this post. At this point, items from third-party websites are considered from the Rumor Mill.

Format (as images for all the characters are unlikely): Character name - Franchise

Characters in Italics are Newcomers
Characters that are underlined are Echo Characters

Confirmed Roster Size: 72

Bayonetta - Bayonetta
Bowser - Mario
Bowser Jr. - Mario
Captain Falcon - F-Zero
Charizard - Pokemon
Chrom - Fire Emblem
Cloud - Final Fantasy
Corrin - Fire Emblem
Daisy - Mario
Dark Samus - Metroid

Dark Pit - Kid Icarus

Diddy Kong - Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong - Donkey Kong
Dr. Mario - Mario
Duck Hunt - Duck Hunt
Falco - Star Fox
Fox - Star Fox
Ganondorf - Zelda
Greninja - Pokemon
Ice Climbers - Ice Climber
Ike - Fire Emblem
Inkling - Splatoon
Ivysaur - Pokemon
Jigglypuff - Pokemon
King Dedede - Kirby
King K. Rool - Donkey Kong
Kirby - Kirby
Link - Zelda
Little Mac - Punch-Out!!
Lucario - Pokemon
Lucas - Earthbound/Mother
Lucina - Fire Emblem
Luigi - Mario
Mario - Mario
Marth - Fire Emblem
Mega Man - Mega Man
Meta Knight - Kirby
Mewtwo - Pokemon
Mii Brawler - Super Smash Bros.
Mii Gunner - Super Smash Bros.
Mii Swordfighter - Super Smash Bros.
Mr. Game and Watch - Game and Watch
Ness - Earthbound
Olimar - Pikmin
Pac-Man - Pac-Man
Palutena - Kid Icarus
Peach - Mario
Pikachu - Pokemon
Pit - Kid Icarus
Pokemon Trainer - Pokemon
Richter Belmont - Castlevania
Ridley - Metroid
R.O.B. - R.O.B.
Robin - Fire Emblem
Rosalina & Luma - Mario
Roy - Fire Emblem
Ryu - Street Fighter
Samus - Metroid
Sheik - Zelda
Shulk - Xenoblade
Simon Belmont - Castlevania
Snake - Metal Gear
Sonic - Sonic
Squirtle - Pokemon
Toon Link - Zelda
Villager - Animal Crossing
Wario - Wario
Wii Fit Trainer - Wii Fit
Wolf - Star Fox
Young Link - Zelda
Zelda - Zelda
Zero Suit Samus - Metroid

Last edited:
From the Rumor Mill

Characters (see OP for format):
None

Gameplay Mechanics:

No Gameplay footage available​

Last edited:
Super hyped for this. Especially the return of Snake.

Still holding out for Azura to be added as a secret character...

My most hyped game this E3, perhaps moreso than Forza Horizon 4! I just wish we could've gotten Rex from Xenoblade 2...maybe they have some more tricks up their sleeve?

My most hyped game this E3, perhaps moreso than Forza Horizon 4! I just wish we could've gotten Rex from Xenoblade 2...maybe they have some more tricks up their sleeve?
I'd like to think Rex is a shoo-in and a natural fit for a Pokémon-Trainer-style character, and that Nintendo wouldn't reveal every fighter straight off the bat. There's also the likelihood of DLC additions to the roster. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for Elma, but that's more of a stretch. Imagine a final smash with a Verus Cain stomping your opponents or sending them flying with its sword. :)

If nothing else, Ridley is a newcomer I'll be happy to try, as a Metroid fan and Samus/ZSS player. The DLC characters from SSB4 are also new to me. Inkling is cool, but doesn't look like my kind of Smash fighter.

Realistically, with DLC, I would expect the roster to expand to 70+. That isn't to say that there won't be more Echo characters, because there most likely will be.

Snake is back!!!! I'm stoked to watch high-level Snake players play now.

If all the quirky things and DACUS somehow find its way back into this version of Smash, this could shape up to be a pretty entertaining game.

I mained the orange pallet swap of Corrin in Smash 4. So I’m certainly glad that everyone ever is back. If I’m ever 1V1 or playing seriously in Ultimate, I’m sticking with Corrin. Whenever I’m going 1 on 1 with any of my friends, it’s always another fire emblem character or Dark Pit, so I need a character with a counter and good range no matter what.

If I had to choose which character I’m most excited to play, it’s the Inkling. I think their moves such as the roller and paint grenade look really fun. Of course you know your boi is using the schoolgirl inkling. I have a feeling that’s going to be the most popular palette swap.

Also, when you’re playing 8 player smash on a TV with one other friend, try doing a team battle with yourself and three level 9 AI on each team. It’s fun picking your squad and fighting your friend’s team. Good maps for this are Palutena’s Temple and the large Kirby stage. It stuttered a lot on the Wii U, so I can’t wait for the enhanced performance of the switch.

Let me tell you something, GTPlanet. This game is going to be absolutely NUTS! I finally saw all 25 minutes of that video on YouTube and think Nintendo outdid themselves putting this game together. Butts will be kicked. It's going to be absolutely insane!

I haven't played a Smash game since Melee when I was in high school and had friends to play with. I don't have gaming friends much in real life so that's lost on me now. Are Smash games alright to play online or is lag a serious game ruining issue?

I haven't played a Smash game since Melee when I was in high school and had friends to play with. I don't have gaming friends much in real life so that's lost on me now. Are Smash games alright to play online or is lag a serious game ruining issue?

For Smash Ultimate you’ll need a subscription to play online. If you’re willing to shell out money comparable to PSN or XBox Live again, you should be good to go. The connectivity of the Switch works just fine.

Man, I have great memories of playing with three others. Final Destination. No items. 5 lives each. I was always Samus, and this other guy was always Mario and we'd end up dueling in the end. He was so good with the shield.

I never played ANY Super Smash Bros. on the Wii or Wii U. My only memories of the Wii/Wii U SSB's were humming the Smash Bros. Brawl main menu theme a lot. This Smash Bros. title will be quite the family reunion. Kind of like what Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was in regards to including all kinds of characters past and present.

From today's Direct, I'm pretty stoked about the new settings, music setup, some stages I saw that weren't specifically highlighted, and how the new character announcements prove the door remains open for yet more new character reveals. Dark Samus is a nice addition too, and it's cool that Shovel Knight got a nod. I voted for him in the ballot, but an assist trophy for him is appropriate given the spread of playable characters and other assist trophies.

It's cool how this game has been geared up to be customizable into more of a traditional fighting game. Traditional fighting games aren't really my thing but the Smash Bros. formula of percentages and off-screen KOs has never 100% appealed to me either. I look forward to trying one-on-one stamina matches with the final smash meter and my preference of items and hazards.

I can't believe they have still have more up their sleeve. This really will be a staggering game. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a solo mode similar to Adventure Mode from Melee, but with some more depth like Subspace Emissary. :)

As a former competitive Melee & Smash 4 player, I have to say I'm somewhat meh about this. Really hella stoked for Young Link in Ultimate though as he has been my main in Melee for about 5 years now. Oh and that Wolf amiibo too lol.

I'm kind of too lazy to look it up but I hope the For Glory mode has more than just Omega stages, like you know with actually damn platforms lol and not just Final Destinations at all times. Flat stages gave the upper hand to zoning-oriented characters or just campy play styles.

Back