Super Sport maintenence?

You're crazy if you think
I can afford either of these.
I'm starting my research now for my next bike, hopefully to purchase next spring. I'm looking for a 600/750 GSX-R/CBR/Daytona/etc. One thing that is really making me think here is... How do they stack up compared to a GS500 for maintenence costs, parts availability, etc? The bike will be ridden 200 miles a week or more. Can anyone chime in with some information for me?

I have a K4 GSX-R 600, bought it in 2008 with 5k miles and now it has 27k miles and still going strong. Never had any real issues with it atall.

Had it serviced Monday at a cost of £320 which included front and rear tyre. Biggest cost of running these aside from fuel is tyres.

Try and find somone who can get hold of part worn race tyres like Metzler race techs, dont last long but for £100 for a pair you cant really complain.

Fuel wise you get about 100-130 miles to a full tank.

As with anything tho its how well you look after it to how much it will cost you.

EDIT: How mechanically minded are you? Can you change your own oil/filter etc

Bikes are high maintenance anyways, even your GS500 revs higher than almost all road cars. A 600 will require more frequent regular work due to it's high performance nature.
(At least you're not racing it, that's when you have to keep ripping it apart. :scared:)

It should be easy to get parts if you get a generic 600, I would recommend the brand which has a dealer closest to you. That's why we are looking at R6's and not a GSX-R or CBR, the Yamaha dealer is 5 minutes down the road.

Tires will be costly, you don't have to get semi-slicks, touring style tires would be fine as the bikes chassis is so good anyways. Again, only get racing style tires if you intend to race it, they wear FAST.

Even a 160mph supersport will get around 40mpg, so fuel costs won't be very high.

I have a K4 GSX-R 600, bought it in 2008 with 5k miles and now it has 27k miles and still going strong. Never had any real issues with it atall.

Had it serviced Monday at a cost of £320 which included front and rear tyre. Biggest cost of running these aside from fuel is tyres.

Try and find somone who can get hold of part worn race tyres like Metzler race techs, dont last long but for £100 for a pair you cant really complain.

Fuel wise you get about 100-130 miles to a full tank.

As with anything tho its how well you look after it to how much it will cost you.

EDIT: How mechanically minded are you? Can you change your own oil/filter etc
K4... would that be like '04-'05? Those are my favorites as far as looks go. I figured tires would be the worst part, I was reading some people service this type bike every 3-4 tanks of gas... That's like 800 miles!

I'm pretty mechanically inclined. Aside from the carb cleaning on my bike I've done it all. And that was just because I couldn't figure out the issue and I'm still new to carbs. I've done the chain, sprockets, rebuilt the left carb, new bars, new clutch cable is in transit right now, made up my own exhaust, replaced all brake fluid and bled the brakes, and spent a good while tuning it to run smooth.

I'm pretty sure I could do everything needed to maintain a bike as long as it doesn't involve going inside the engine for the valves and what not. But even then, that's just because I don't know how to yet

EDIT: Worn down race tires? I may be able to swing that actually... I already scored a Vanson leathers jacket from talking to some of the bike racers at the drag strip I work at
Bikes are high maintenance anyways, even your GS500 revs higher than almost all road cars. A 600 will require more frequent regular work due to it's high performance nature.
(At least you're not racing it, that's when you have to keep ripping it apart. :scared:)

It should be easy to get parts if you get a generic 600, I would recommend the brand which has a dealer closest to you. That's why we are looking at R6's and not a GSX-R or CBR, the Yamaha dealer is 5 minutes down the road.

Tires will be costly, you don't have to get semi-slicks, touring style tires would be fine as the bikes chassis is so good anyways. Again, only get racing style tires if you intend to race it, they wear FAST.

Even a 160mph supersport will get around 40mpg, so fuel costs won't be very high.

My GS has been mostly hop on and ride thankfully. I have to get the valves adjusted in a few months, but aside from that it's all pretty easy stuff. I downloaded the service manual.

Sadly the closest dealer here is a Kawasaki-Yamaha dealer. I'm not a big fan of how the Yamaha's look and I'm not sure about Ninjas. I have not ridden any of them yet though so I'm still open :)

You could also get a big bore twin.
Something like a TL1000, a bit quicker than a 600, but easier to ride, and I would assume lower maintenance due to lower revs.

But what I want to know is why do you want another bike? All you need for the street is an SV650.

True the gixer 6 redlines at 17,000 rpm but more maintenance becuase of this?
Not in my experience.

As for stripping the bike every 800 miles, maybe for racing but not for road use.

Also I'd advise you to steer clear of main dealers and dont assume that a 20yr old wearing a Suzuki t-shirt at a dealer knows more than a 1 man band back-street garage with 30yrs experience. Ive always found these small garages do a much better service because they are relying on repeat custom.

If you can keep on top of the bike by doing oil changes (which are a 20 min job) and just generally looking after it you'll be laughing. Also these bikes are fuel injected not carbs.

I had a big service done at 19,000miles which included a valve clearance and shim check which was done at a garage as that is way over my head. I cant recall the cost of that but it wasnt astronomical.

Not 100% sure on this but I'd think that drag bikes would have wider wheels.
Standard 600 rear tyres are generally 180s but I have a 190/55 ZR 17 (oversized) on mine right now and it rides fine. Also dont listen to people/dealers who say you need to match the tyres front and rear as Ive had more mis-matches than identical pairs and Ive never had any problems.

Its a Metzeler race tech K2, should be able to get hold of tyres like these on ebay.
I wanted the perrelli diablos but was quoted £295 for a set fitted or £100 for race scrubs fitted so it was a no brainer really.

Could upload some pictures if I knew how.

EDIT: yes its the 2004 one (RIZLA race rep)

Last edited:
Sounds like it'd be a pretty fair bet to say those bikes don't require too much more maintenence than my current ride. Fuel injection would definately be a plus too. I love being able to futz with my carb, but at the same time I hate having to futz with my carb

You could also get a big bore twin.
Something like a TL1000, a bit quicker than a 600, but easier to ride, and I would assume lower maintenance due to lower revs.

But what I want to know is why do you want another bike? All you need for the street is an SV650.
I know it's all I really "need," but I'm just in love with the gixxers. They roll through the water box at work and all I do is drool. I see them at school, and drool. Etc lol.

I'd be looking to sell my current bike to move up, not keep both at the same time.

I know it's all I really "need," but I'm just in love with the gixxers. They roll through the water box at work and all I do is drool. I see them at school, and drool. Etc lol.

Just know that it'll be a rocketship, I'd recommend taking it to a track day, not only for fun, but also to learn invaluable bike control skills that you can't get on the street.

True the gixer 6 redlines at 17,000 rpm but more maintenance becuase of this?
Not in my experience.

It will definitely require more maintenance because it's pretty much a race motor, high revs included.

Off-topic: Do you find that the oversize has pinched the tire on the rim, giving a sizable chicken strip on each side? Someone had put a 130 on the back of our RZ350, and as a result I can't even get to the outer 1cm.

I'll scrape the pipes and pegs but it still can't even use that part of the tire, and the weird pinch messes up the contact patch of the tire, not to mention the slower steering.

Just know that it'll be a rocketship, I'd recommend taking it to a track day, not only for fun, but also to learn invaluable bike control skills that you can't get on the street.

Oh I know it'll be a rocket ship. That's part of the draw :drool: I'd love to do a track day but the closest race track around here is Sebring(As in, 12 hours of Sebring.. that track), which is a couple hours away. I'd most likely have to trailer the bike, which gets real expensive in gas + I don't have access to a trailer I would want to take above 40mph :lol:

What about using the truck? :lol: You don't need a trailer.
A few hours away isn't too bad, our closest track is an hour and a half. And then Shannonville is about 3 hours. Mosport is a bit closer than that though, sweet, sweet Mosport... :drool:

A few hours away isn't too bad, our closest track is an hour and a half. And then Shannonville is about 3 hours. Mosport is a bit closer than that though, sweet, sweet Mosport... :drool:

Have you ever driven through the middle of florida? It's just straight, flat, 55mph roads :lol: My tires will scream for mercy on the center by the end!

Yeah, we drove all the way down from Canada to Florida one year for racing, 90mph down the mountains. :scared: (The other guy in our convoy had a 40 foot trailer on. :lol:)
Your tires are those big ones though, it still shouldn't be too bad.

You're sure there are no smaller tracks around?

Yeah, we drove all the way down from Canada to Florida one year for racing, 90mph down the mountains. :scared: (The other guy in our convoy had a 40 foot trailer on. :lol:)
Your tires are those big ones though, it still shouldn't be too bad.

You're sure there are no smaller tracks around?

Truck for long distance like that so I don't murderize expensive sport bike tires lol.

I have no clue if there are closer tracks. I really don't know but I've never heard anything. It's just drag strips and short circle tracks for the most part

Search around, our closest track is the Grand Bend Dragway, but there is a road course right beside it.

Search around, our closest track is the Grand Bend Dragway, but there is a road course right beside it.

Closest track to me is Bradenton Motorsports Park and Desoto Super Speedway. I work at BMP and the 2 tracks are next door to each other. Then it's all farm land... Definately will start searching around though, because if there's one close I'll take ole Suzi down there!

EDIT: Naturally after I start asking questions about one type of bike, someone shows me something pretty cool... the Suzuki Bandit series

Last edited:
Got some photos for you

mybike.jpg

bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

As you can see here Bopop no chicken strips ;) But dont forget that its only over-sized by 10mm (width) so its only 5mm each side, as for slower turning its not noticable IMO.

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0236-1.jpg

Here's one down to the bone :)

IMG_0177.jpg

And before anybody pulls me up on the fact that I stated 600 and this has 750 on the fairings, I can assure you it is a 600 the person who owned the bike before must have swapped/bought these fairings from another bike.

Last edited:
Very very very nice. 👍
And yay for the rear tire! Over here so many street bikes don't get the full tire used, probably because we don't have any twisties. ):

And I bet that exhaust sounds glorious. I took our FZR400 down the street with a Hindle slip on and it was magnificent...

Damn that's a great looking bike! Amazing to see the whole tire used as well! I'm still trying to get there on mine, but it's not easy. We don't have any sustained twisties, just a good turn every now and then. And I really hate leaning a bunch and going over the paint on the road for cross walks and the like, always feel like they'll be what takes me down. Is that weird or normal to think that way?

It's perfectly normal to be scared when cornering. The lines won't take you down unless it's wet. And even in the rain you could still use all of the tire, it's just experience.

Yes that pipe sounds awsome, very loud and you get that crackle and bang on the over run. When we go places that are known to have the law swarming I usually put the acropovic back on. The stubby GP can certainly turns heads and makes people jump tho :)

And about the cornering,
Its a very strange feeling when your new to it. Even at slight angles you will feel like you're almost on you're side when infact you're almost vertical. To get a better understanding of this ride with a friend infront of you so you can see how "far over" they are. Then have a look at the angles the Moto GP riders get.

Like Bopop4 said dont be afriad of paint, your real troubles will come from unexpected things like a diesel spill that you dont see till its to late or somone who pulls out infront of you failing to see you.

Do you get a sort of mini tank slapping speed wobble when overtaking and crossing the road lines? If so we call this "white lining" (our lines are white) normally caused by a ridge or flat spot on the tyre(s) due to high straight line milage. And also this is somthing that makes your heart skip at first but you get used to this.

Yes that pipe sounds awsome, very loud and you get that crackle and bang on the over run. When we go places that are known to have the law swarming I usually put the acropovic back on. The stubby GP can certainly turns heads and makes people jump tho :)
:drool::drool::drool:

And about the cornering,
Its a very strange feeling when your new to it. Even at slight angles you will feel like you're almost on you're side when infact you're almost vertical. To get a better understanding of this ride with a friend infront of you so you can see how "far over" they are. Then have a look at the angles the Moto GP riders get.

Exactly, I first hopped on a streetbike last March and it felt incredibly weird.
It took me till now to be able to get my knee down. (Still hard on an RZ350 with oversized tires that are pinched, and no knee sliders. :lol:)

That's why I recommended a track day, you'll learn so much from one day compared to months on the street.

Like Bopop4 said dont be afriad of paint, your real troubles will come from unexpected things like a diesel spill that you dont see till its to late or somone who pulls out infront of you failing to see you.

Yeah, a friend of mine was killed when a truck drove out in front of him. :(

I don't know why this never clicked properly before...

I need to drill some holes to make some tie downs in the bed for the bike. And fix the tail gate as it's broken and stuck up lol but once I have tie downs the truck would work perfect. It's just sketchy right now using it
It's perfectly normal to be scared when cornering. The lines won't take you down unless it's wet. And even in the rain you could still use all of the tire, it's just experience.
That's definately a good thing to know. I just hate feeling the bike wobble when I'm leaned over. I lean a decent amount based on my tires, there's about a half inch of unused rubber on each side, so I'm gettin there!
Do you get a sort of mini tank slapping speed wobble when overtaking and crossing the road lines? If so we call this "white lining" (our lines are white) normally caused by a ridge or flat spot on the tyre(s) due to high straight line milage. And also this is somthing that makes your heart skip at first but you get used to this.

I'm used to it now, but that scared the hell out of me to start with. My tires have terrible wear on the center, almost at the wear bars, and they are full tread pretty much everywhere else. So that feeling should go away with a fresh set of tires?

Did you see the last photo I posted "heres one down to the bone". I had my wrists slapped on GTP before for posting things about speed even tho I never stated where the event took place.

So for the sake of risking causing anybody alarm, panick or distress Im going to use the term "track". Now have a look at the photo of the tyre. The last ride that tyre had before the photo was taken it was ridden at speeds exeeding 160mph on a "track" ofcorse.

Its not so much the depth of the tyre tread that will give you a "wobble" its the profile. Get somthing dead straight like a ruler and put it on the hightest point of the tyre. Straight line milage will take its toll and you will be able to see an inch or two has worn flat like a car tyre. Now where the edge of that flat spot meets the rounded part of the tyre there will be a ridge. You can feel this with your hand without even looking.

The wobble's caused when you're turning and this ridge meets the rounded part (correct profile)

Also its not very long from when your treads down to the wear indicator to it being like the one with the wires exposed I posted, maybe 200-300 miles at best so just be aware of that if you plan a long ride.

Most important thing to remember... keep her shiny side up :)

Last edited:
They really slapped your wrists for you talking about going fast? It even looks like a track bike!

My current tires are so flat in the middle I can see it. The tire itself looks like the \_/ because of the roads around here. Or the PO. Either way I'll find out really soon. Guess it's time for some Sport Demons for this old suzi if my current tires are gonna be shot in a tank or two :)

Cant remember the administrater's exact words but it was somthing like wow,wow and double wow in a multi-quote and then he pointed me to AUP. But as you can see from the pictures the bike has lights, indicators and a number plate (even blocked out an even smaller number plate on the wall)

Well if your tyre is shaped like \_/ then thats without doubt the reason for the wobbly feeling when encountering suface change (as I call it "white lining") This is rarely anything to be worried about although anyone else who is reading this without expereincing it will not understand how it makes your heart skip a few beats, just keep the power on and your eyes fixed to the furthest point. It should straighten out.
Might wanna check your fronts too, somtimes they are harder to spot the ridge.

Please dont do this if you dont feel confident in doing so as I would hate to endanger or put you at any kind of risk and take no liability if you do this and somthing goes wrong... but the best way you can see the profile of the front is in clear daylight whilst on the move, stand up and lean over the handle bars enough so you can see the front tyre moving against the contrast of the road.

Are you aware of the multi compound tyres you can get that are a hard compound in the middle and medium 3quarters on the side to very soft on the outside.

Gives you the best of both worlds. Durable for high straight line milage and maximum grip whilst cornering.

EDIT: what does PO mean?

Last edited:
Don't worry about the chicken strips. Thinking about getting it down before you're really ready for it is a bad idea. Play with it, get comfortable on it, enjoy it, and ride it as much as possible.

Don't worry about the chicken strips. Thinking about getting it down before you're really ready for it is a bad idea. Play with it, get comfortable on it, enjoy it, and ride it as much as possible.

He wont think about it, it will happen on its own accord. Simple fact is if you wanna ride motorcycles you're going to break bones. The only fail safe way to prevent this is for him to launch his bike keys into space and never get on another again.

I'm not sure how bad the profile is on the front tire, don't really care because I'll be replacing these tires as soon as money allows, which should be about a month. The front has very minor cracking starting, so it's gotta be replaced as well.

PO= previous owner

Multi compound tires? That sounds like something I'd be really interested in *if* they are cheaper than $100 each, because I can get sport demons for that and I really want to try some sticky tires in the 140/70/17 size.

Bobby - is anyone ever really prepared to lay the bike down? :lol:

I think I covered everything in this here reply

I've got battlax tyres on my bike and I think they're quite good. I've only done 500ish km on them so far so I don't know about tyre life but I'm only told good things about them.

Back