Don't be a fool.
Premium
United States
Frankfort, KY
GTP_FoolKiller
FoolKiller1979
manofsteelsupermanbig.jpg

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=80687

First Look at Henry Cavill as Superman in Man of Steel!!

Source: Warner Bros. Pictures, Legendary Pictures
August 4, 2011

Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures have provided the first look at the new Man of Steel, revealing star Henry Cavill as Superman in the film from director Zack Snyder.

The film also stars three-time Oscar® nominee Amy Adams (The Fighter) as Daily Planet journalist Lois Lane, and Oscar® nominee Laurence Fishburne (What's Love Got to Do with It) as her editor-in-chief, Perry White. Starring as Clark Kent's adoptive parents, Martha and Jonathan Kent, are Oscar® nominee Diane Lane (Unfaithful) and Academy Award® winner Kevin Costner (Dances with Wolves).

Squaring off against the superhero are two other surviving Kryptonians, the villainous General Zod, played by Oscar® nominee Michael Shannon (Revolutionary Road), and Faora, Zod's evil partner, played by Antje Traue. Also from Superman's native Krypton are Lara Lor-Van, Superman's mother, played by Julia Ormond, and Superman's father, Jor-El, portrayed by Academy Award® winner Russell Crowe (Gladiator).

Rounding out the cast are Harry Lennix as U.S. military man General Swanwick, as well as Christopher Meloni as Colonel Hardy.

Man of Steel is being produced by Charles Roven, Emma Thomas, Christopher Nolan and Deborah Snyder. The screenplay was written by David S. Goyer, from a story by Goyer and Nolan, based upon Superman characters created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster and published by DC Comics. Thomas Tull and Lloyd Phillips are serving as executive producers.

A couple things that are bothering me here.

First, his outfit looks to be the same diamond patterned latex-like material that is being used too often these days. My memory may be fuzzy, but I am pretty sure his uniform is supposed to be made from the Kryptonian blankets that were in the spaceship with him, which is why his uniform was as indestructible as he was. The look seems to say it is something else entirely, or Kryptonians don't like warm blankets. Anyway, minor issue.

Second, when I see the compressed 640x480 image it looks like Diedrich Bader. That thought will never lave my mind.

Finally, I feel that perhaps this is going to be one of those cases of too many big stars in side roles and egos wind up meaning that contract negotiations involve script changes. When I first heard that Kevin Costner and Diane Lane would play the Kents I was fine with that. And Amy Adams as Lois Lane works fairly well in my mind as she can be a good supporting female love interest. But now we have Laurence Fishburne as Perry White, which may work, and Russel Crowe as Jor-El. That's the one that gets me right there. The man isn't known for taking a backseat to anything. And it seems like Nolan loves working with anger management dropouts.

Further I see big names and I think big bucks. Next thing we know we have a massive budget that WB has to pull back on and fight with Snyder/Nolan over and the next thing you know you either wind up with a relatively large budget but nothing to show for it or a budget so huge that no matter how good the film is it won't turn a profit and we will wind up with another reboot or a decade or two of silence from this franchise.

That said, I enjoy much of Snyder's work (haven't seen Sucker Punch) and with Nolan producing I expect it to have some of the same talent as the Batman films on the production crew. So, I am actually kind of excited to see where they take this film.

My biggest hope is that if there is a sequel we bring in some villains not used in previous films. General Zod is awesome and all, and Lex Luthor has always been an arch nemesis, but can I see anything else on film after 75 years of comics?

:indiff: I don't like the cast (anything with Diane Lane and Kevin Costner makes me want to run for the hills) and I don't like anything Zack Snyder except 300. Looks like I might consider this as a rental. I gotta admit, this movie sounds incredibly cheesy.

I heard Kevin Costner playing Jonathan Kent and immediately pictured Field of Dreams.

And I am pretty sure Snyder's devotion to the source material in 300 and Watchmen (as well as his wife being a producer for WB) is what got him this gig.

So, is this just the first second movie again (obviously with drastically improved visuals and all that, but still)?

So, is this just the first second movie again (obviously with drastically improved visuals and all that, but still)?
Complete reboot using the villains from the second movie.

Am I the only one actually looking forward to this? Nolan is known for making great films, and I think Snyder's track record speaks for itself. I think those two will put aside whatever ego differences they have and get this done right.

I thought the guy in the photo was Christian Slater, I'll be having nightmares now for awhile.

I can't take this seriously...the name "Zod" just screams "ridiculous" IMHO. Was the Superman Returns that awful that they had to reboot the franchise?

Not digging that suit at all...

Yeah the suit looks totally wrong :yuck: and Henry Cavill doesn't look like Superman... I know there is no particular way the character should look but I'm so used to the previous film actors and also Smallville that he doesn't look right.

They should have stuck with Brandon Routh and also that films suit style, Superman Returns was a really good movie and I cannot understand what went wrong with the franchise after that.

Also how is Cavill going to manage an American accent? I hope it doesn't turn into another terrible performance because of that.

So far I'm sceptical but with Nolan involved it might be really great.

Robin.

Strange to drop Routh... he wasn't a bad Superman... in fact, he was a pretty fantastic one.

Of the casting decisions, the one I most dig is Amy Adams. She's perfect for the part. Costner, Crowe... errhm... Pa Kent is more of a Harrison Ford, in my opinion.

Cavill certainly looks the part.

However, that doesn't change the fact that the film will be directed by Zack the Hack.

niky
Strange to drop Routh... he wasn't a bad Superman... in fact, he was a pretty fantastic one.

Of the casting decisions, the one I most dig is Amy Adams. She's perfect for the part. Costner, Crowe... errhm... Pa Kent is more of a Harrison Ford, in my opinion.

I've noticed something about the new Superman in the pic that may have played a part in the casting decision.

Historically, wheather in animated or in live action, Superman was a big man. I remember one of the live action actors in the 40s was obease. Then came Christopher Reeve in the 70s. It was like he didn't put on muscle, and today, we all have this sick sense that Reeve is suppose to be what Supes looks like when it's not.

This film will get his physique right.

It's a possibility. Routh, however, wasn't too "skinny"... maybe they could have gotten him to bulk up...

Reeve was big. 6'4", and muscular, with wide shoulders and chest. Granted, he doesn't have a body-builder physique, I've always thought it more important to have a good actor in such an important role than to have a mound of muscle with little talent.

Zack Snyder and Chris Nolan.

Hmm, so bad action scenes in super slo-mo? I can't bear to see my childhood hero being flayed like this.

Henry Cavill is good, but I don't know why Routh was dropped.

I can't take this seriously...the name "Zod" just screams "ridiculous" IMHO. Was the Superman Returns that awful that they had to reboot the franchise?
But names like Superman, Kal-el, and Jor-el seems serious? He's an alien, what do you want?

Also consider that everyone important in Superman's life has the initials LL. Lana Lang, Lois Lane, Lex Luther. DC comics weren't exactly on top of their game in the naming category in the 30s and 40s.

But if his name wasn't General Zod you would never get this awesome line.

Which then allowed for this scene to exist:

Pa Kent is more of a Harrison Ford, in my opinion.
Are we talking dies early on in the film Pa Kent or goes on for way too long as some sort of moral compass for Superman to follow Pa Kent?

I am also baffled as to why Routh was dropped. He was great as Superman. It's just that the movie superman returns was dreadful.

Are we talking dies early on in the film Pa Kent or goes on for way too long as some sort of moral compass for Superman to follow Pa Kent?

One wonders if Uncle Ben would've been as unbearable...

It would be awesome to kill Harrison Ford in a movie... unless his standard contract forbids it...

One wonders if Uncle Ben would've been as unbearable...

It would be awesome to kill Harrison Ford in a movie... unless his standard contract forbids it...
I am sure there is a contract that says he won't die and will always appear ruggedly handsome in some way, but I doubt it is signed with a movie company.

Official plot synopsis:
In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time. Clark Kent/Kal-El (Cavill) is a young twentysomething journalist who feels alienated by powers beyond anyone's imagination. Transported to Earth years ago from Krypton, an advanced alien planet, Clark struggles with the ultimate question - Why am I here? Shaped by the values of his adoptive parents Martha (Lane) and Jonathan Kent (Costner), Clark soon discovers that having super abilities means making very difficult decisions. But when the world needs stability the most, it comes under attack. Will his abilities be used to maintain peace or ultimately used to divide and conquer? Clark must become the hero known as "Superman," not only to shine as the world's last beacon of hope but to protect the ones he loves.
So, they're trying to make an existentialist superhero film ... with Zack Snyder, the man who makes Michael Bay look like Francis Ford Coppola.

I can smell the stink already.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this movie will probably be pretty bad. It's a shame because Superman deserves a proper movie. Inception was horrible and so drawn out with awful dialogue that I'm not holding out much hope for this movie. Instead of starting from the beginning, I think a really good Doomsday movie would have been better. It's funny how the animated movies are so incredible but no one can make a good live action Superman movie.

Richard Donner did. It was called "Superman", and it was made in 1978.

Also, David Goyer is writing MAN OF STEEL. He did not write INCEPTION. Christopher Nolan wrote INCEPTION, but he is only serving as producer, which means he is providing the money to make the film.

That first Superman movie was pretty bad too. Even at the time it didn't seem very good. It would be nice if this one was great, but Superman seems miscast right from the start so I can't see it happening.

Trailer 2 looks pretty decent. To me, for some reason, Superman just doesn't look like Superman.

Reminded me of the Superman Returns soundtrack which I really enjoyed, I can't state the same for the actual movie though.....it had it's moments I suppose.

Now to watch the classic Superman II kneel before Zod hand crush scene hahaha, I love that scene!

Trailer 2 looks pretty decent. To me, for some reason, Superman just doesn't look like Superman.

Reminded me of the Superman Returns soundtrack which I really enjoyed, I can't state the same for the actual movie though.....it had it's moments I suppose.

Now to watch the classic Superman II kneel before Zod hand crush scene hahaha, I love that scene!

I watched Superman 2 about 20 times as a kid, never seen any other part, so it's special to me, and seeing another 2013 ZOD again will be special I guess, can't wait. And yes that scene was awesome haha

So Superman is on the cover of Empire magazine which i read at the weekend, with a 6 page section on it inside, i was going to start a thread on this (til i found this one!)..it all looks good to me..in the mag Goyer says that they treated Man of steel if it were an original film and not based on the comic, just seen the trailer posted above and i cant bloody wait now! looks great! 👍

Back