Surprise Assetto Corsa 1.22 Patch Lands on PlayStation 4

Well that's certainly unexpected. Glad to see Kunos are still improving the game. Regardless of platform.

Hi, what is your issue? You cant shift with H-shifter in some cars?:)
Sometimes th8rs is not operate. Have to restart console and start on assetto with 1st gear in (hpattern),if i Come from an other game like gt or pcars it doesn't work anymore. Have to restart ps4. My shifter and console is up to date. Many persons have this problème
I know that th8 rs is not supported on PS4 but gtsport ,pcars ,dirt ,the crew and drivecluD work vert fine
Sorry for my english i'm french

I had this problem only at beginnig time of ac console version. Never happend anymore since this days.
Some days ago i was thinking shifter dont work anymore, then i realised i was sitting in a car that dosnt have h-shifter :) (to much gt-s LOL)
In assetto corsa cars only can shift via shifter if the car have this in real too. Paddle shift dont work if car have h-shifter, clutch and h-shifter dont work if car have paddle shift :)

Sometimes th8rs is not operate. Have to restart console and start on assetto with 1st gear in (hpattern),if i Come from an other game like gt or pcars it doesn't work anymore. Have to restart ps4. My shifter and console is up to date. Many persons have this problème
I know that th8 rs is not supported on PS4 but gtsport ,pcars ,dirt ,the crew and drivecluD work vert fine
Sorry for my english i'm french

I had this over the weekend. Solution wast te tick the "use H shifter" somewhere in the controll options. Then it works like it should.

Oh and..... I am back on AC. I had my fun with pc2, but the way AC handles the physics, sound, and force feedback is just better.

I'll miss the rain though.

AC is still the best hotlapping racer on the PS4 in my opinion - great physics, FFB and sounds. I don't care much for it for actual racing though, framerate problems, bad AI (worse than GT Sport and PC2), only 16 cars, hideous review mirror resolution (that's a nitpick for sure, but it really detracts from the over all presentation).

I'm tremendously puzzled though that with all these patches they still haven't fixed music only playing in the left channel on the main screen.

Hold, I just did some testing and it appears that 1.22 broke the automatic detection of the shifter. I now always have to specify yes or no for the H shifter option. I never had to do that before patch .122.

Whoever that says Assetto has a bad AI probably didn't try the last AI update.

Much faster than GT Sport one (that is probably the slowest AI on PS4). It uses the same physics as you, so you wont find those incredible differences on performance between you and the AI on many corners like on PCars 2 (and it doesn't use the insane rubberbanding effect of GT Sport). It's also the best on holding it's possition when fighting; meaning it probably offers the most satisfying battles.

On the contrary, it doesn't have the variety of character from GT Sport or the ease to overtake from PCars2 and GT Sport. But like I say, it's probably the most satisfying when you are fighting with it.

and after a reboot of the ps4, the H shifter and paddles work correct in the corresponding cars. Strange though

Much faster than GT Sport one (that is probably the slowest AI on PS4). It uses the same physics as you, so you wont find those incredible differences on performance between you and the AI on many corners like on PCars 2 (and it doesn't use the insane rubberbanding effect of GT Sport). It's also the best on holding it's possition when fighting; meaning it probably offers the most satisfying battles.

On the contrary, it doesn't have the variety of character from GT Sport or the ease to overtake from PCars2 and GT Sport. But like I say, it's probably the most satisfying when you are fighting with it.
Yea GTSport AI are terrible. AC AI is in another stratosphere ( can't speak for PC2 AI). AI in GTS is not AI at all, they seam completely pre scripted in races. Don't even get me started on grid positioning and rolling starts. I have some amazing battles on AC with the AI.

I'll try some more races in AC. I've only just started playing it again after months with mostly GT Sport and some PC2.

The AI in GT Sport definitely feels scripted - evidenced in part by it always being the same cars finishing in virtually the same positions - but I'm nevertheless having more fun with custom AI races (turning off rubberbanding "boost" and turning on fuel, tire wear, some other realism settings) in GTS than I have had in AC last year (and the few races I've tried the last couple of days) and usually also in PC2.
I'm not a fast racer by any means (I can still lose some races in GTS against pro AI) so the maximum speed of the AI is not an issue, rather their behaviour.

I can only speak for the PC side of things, where in races I use 100% AI speed with 80-100% aggressiveness.

The AI can definitely be hit and miss. You always have to pretend that the first lap of a race never really happened or you have to cruise along, calling them clumsy during lap one would be an understatement. Seeing them braking on flatout kinks bothers me a lot too, they lose so much time doing it.

On the good side of things, they do have decent pace in some types of cars (grippy), and not too bad in others. They do have issues overtaking on straights quite often, but where they shine is in defending and side-by-side battling. I couldn't possibly count the number of times I've been door-to-door with one or even two AI cars for 3 and more consecutive corners. There are times where they really throw it in there in the braking zones, forcing you to do a switchback and find another line past on the exit.

I'll try some more races in AC. I've only just started playing it again after months with mostly GT Sport and some PC2.

The AI in GT Sport definitely feels scripted - evidenced in part by it always being the same cars finishing in virtually the same positions - but I'm nevertheless having more fun with custom AI races (turning off rubberbanding "boost" and turning on fuel, tire wear, some other realism settings) in GTS than I have had in AC last year (and the few races I've tried the last couple of days) and usually also in PC2.
I'm not a fast racer by any means (I can still lose some races in GTS against pro AI) so the maximum speed of the AI is not an issue, rather their behaviour.

The update was released on October I believe. They improved a lot on holding the position (IMO it's the best now) and overtaking. About the last thing: before the update the AI was extremely bad on overtaking. So much that an LMP1 car could be stuck behind a GT car for many corners.

Now they are not very good, but at least they overtake cars on the straights quite efficiently if they are faster and some times when braking. They also look for alternative driving lines on the corners, not in a efficient way but occasionally they make it work:

The improvement on overtaking means now multiclass races are possible, mostly with LMP1H cars. Why? Because their biggest quality is acceleration, thing that favours the AI because, like I said, they overtake mostly on the straights. On Silverstone they are quite good at it:

I donk think many people here doubts Stefano is a genius. Let's see what he can do with ACC.

About GT Sport AI: I absolutely love how it behaves. If it wasnt for the rubberbanding effect and how slow it is, would be a very good contender to best AI IMO. When you find the car that is slow enough so the fight with the first car is equal, then the racing gets very serious.

About GT Sport AI: I absolutely love how it behaves. If it wasnt for the rubberbanding effect and how slow it is, would be a very good contender to best AI IMO. When you find the car that is slow enough so the fight with the first car is equal, then the racing gets very serious.

You can turn rubberbanding (they call it boost) off in custom races. I pretty much only do those now instead of the quick races, unless I'm just doing a quick car test.

You can turn rubberbanding (they call it boost) off in custom races. I pretty much only do those now instead of the quick races, unless I'm just doing a quick car test.

No, you are confusing boost (which gives you a boost when you get to the back of the pack, not the AI) with rubberbanding, which is the AI slowing if you aren't very good, then charging after you at ridiculous pace after a lap or so if they realize you are good. There is absolutely nothing you can do to the AI's behavior except pick one of the three (lack of!) strengths.

But the main problem with GT's AI, and it has never changed, is that basically it only gets to a certain point. Far slower than other games. Once you get into the top 25% or so of GT drivers, you basically have to spot the AI three grades of tires and maybe 50hp to not blow them away. Race equal cars and equal tires, it is hard to get a race where you aren't completely out of sight by the end of Lap2-3. And even their rubberbanding can't get them close.

If PD had a decent AI, I'd still be playing GT5 on my old PS3! But the minute the servers closed, the game became useless. As is GTS already.

Overall, AC's AI vs. PC2's is a bit of a toss-up. Good and bad in both. And the earlier advice to hang back for a lap (treat it as a formation lap!) and then attack on Lap2 applies to both games. Both games' AI's are morons in a pack!

No, you are confusing boost (which gives you a boost when you get to the back of the pack, not the AI) with rubberbanding, which is the AI slowing if you aren't very good, then charging after you at ridiculous pace after a lap or so if they realize you are good. There is absolutely nothing you can do to the AI's behavior except pick one of the three (lack of!) strengths...

Are you sure about that? I'll pay more attention next time but from memory so far I've noticed substantial differences in how far the field is spread out and how far ahead or behind me (depending on how much I may or may not suck in a given race) they are in custom race with boost off compared to a quick race.

I can definitely see AI speed being prohibitively slow for fast drivers though. I can win against pro AI in GTS in many short races (starting from mid pack) - and probably most longer races, but I often only do short sessions - but in Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2, and many other sims I've played in the past, I only have the AI at or just above medium strength.

When AC first came out, the AI on hardest level were very fast. But that didn't/doesn't make it good AI necessarily. After the update though they were fast and human like. There are some combos that the AI aren't quite as good with. The Abarth's being the biggest issue for them.

I can only speak for the PC side of things, where in races I use 100% AI speed with 80-100% aggressiveness.

The AI can definitely be hit and miss. You always have to pretend that the first lap of a race never really happened or you have to cruise along, calling them clumsy during lap one would be an understatement. Seeing them braking on flatout kinks bothers me a lot too, they lose so much time doing it.

On the good side of things, they do have decent pace in some types of cars (grippy), and not too bad in others. They do have issues overtaking on straights quite often, but where they shine is in defending and side-by-side battling. I couldn't possibly count the number of times I've been door-to-door with one or even two AI cars for 3 and more consecutive corners. There are times where they really throw it in there in the braking zones, forcing you to do a switchback and find another line past on the exit.
Yes this is my experience too. In special events the AI is really hard on medium on some events, whilst not so hard on medium in other events. I've had so many great battles that I've had to pause the race multiple times and watch the replay.

Last edited:

I know, but if I turn it off, then the AI wont be able to catch me. Whatever you do (use rubberbanding or not), if you are reasonable fast, you wont be able to race against the same cars because you will end up be 10 seconds a lap faster.

If they manage to work the AI so they make it fast and include a custom championship mode like in Assetto Corsa, then wow... that could be a hell of an offline experience.

Are you sure about that? I'll pay more attention next time but from memory so far I've noticed substantial differences in how far the field is spread out and how far ahead or behind me (depending on how much I may or may not suck in a given race) they are in custom race with boost off compared to a quick race.

I can definitely see AI speed being prohibitively slow for fast drivers though. I can win against pro AI in GTS in many short races (starting from mid pack) - and probably most longer races, but I often only do short sessions - but in Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2, and many other sims I've played in the past, I only have the AI at or just above medium strength.

Been playing GT since GT5Prologue.

Yes, Boost only affects the rearmost player cars. Obviously, when playing the AI, if boost suddenly gives you a ton more speed and you start blasting through the pack, the rubberbanding (should you get to the front) will start to apply. And, once you get back up to the front end of the pack, boost switches off. Then the rubberbanding relaxes while you put in slower laps.

Back