Howdy 🤠
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
RoJJieE
mb6roj
Suzuka 1000km - Wrath Of The Kia

I’m a big noob

There’s a few races still I haven’t done yet. The Formula GT Championship, which I can’t be bothered doing because I despise the FGT and the last five endurance races. So instead of getting frustrated at the FGT some more, I’m going to do the next endurance race on the list, the Suzuka 1000km. Being the sort that doesn’t want to do a 1,000km race just to end up losing, I decided to choose a car that would beat the GT500 cars, but wasn’t an LMP or X2011. So yes, if you’re expecting a close race, you might as well stop that now. My requirements were simple but very fussy. All I wanted was 4WD, working fog lights and 2-minute flat lap times at Suzuka.

I ended up deciding on the Subaru Kia Impreza TC, the car from the first DLC pack. With some tuning, the ol’ Kia makes 512bhp (with only 15.9 miles on the clock), weighs only 1140kg and can lap Suzuka in less than 2 minutes on racing soft tyres. It also has working fog lights, which turn on when it’s raining. So that’s every box ticked. I guess I should stop delaying now and actually get on with the race.

Oh and just so this isn’t a massive wall of text, here are some beauty shots of the Impreza, before I wreck it in the real race.

SubaruImpreza-001.jpg

SubaruImpreza-002.jpg

SubaruImpreza-003.jpg

SubaruImpreza-004.jpg

SubaruImpreza-005.jpg

SubaruImpreza-006.jpg

I regret this already

I arrived at Suzuka on a sunny day with no water on the track surface. Perfect weather for racing soft tyres. Hopefully it doesn’t rain on lap 2. The grid looked like this:

Starting in first, the ARTA NSX.
In second, the Motul Autech Renault GT-R
In third, the Denso Dunlop Sard SC430.
In fourth, the Yellow Hat YMS Tomica Renault GT-R.
In fifth, the Xanavi Nismo Z.
In sixth, the Woodone Advan Clarion Renault GT-R.
In seventh, the Impreza Touring Car.
In eighth, the Takata Dome NSX.
In ninth, the Petronas Tom’s SC430.
In tenth, the Yellow Hat YMS Supra.
In eleventh, the Eneos SC430.
And finally, starting in last place, the Bandai Direzza SC430.

I would have to complete 620.65 miles during this race. 3.61 miles per lap. 172 laps. The math should add up, but you know PD. With 345,000 (690,000 with 200% bonus) credits up for grabs, I begin my epic adventure.

Lap 1: The Takata NSX sneakily overtakes me before the race even started. I challenge him to a drag race to the first corner. I lose by a car length. Not a good start eh? However, my fortune swings back to my favour and my 4WD advantage gets me up to 4th place before we even reach the S curves, overtaking Tomica Renault. Yes I have no idea what the corner names are and I’m going to torture you by not bothering to look them up. The Denso SC430 is overtaken with ease on approach to the S curves and the Motul Renault is overtaken somewhere during the S curves. I’m now second and the only car in my way is the ARTA NSX. Knowing that this is only the first lap, I decide to be patient with overtaking it. I’m practically riding its tail as we drive under the bridge. My patience pays off, as the ARTA NSX struggles with the hairpin and I show it what 4WD can do. I got traction, do you? I’m now in first place and my current quest is to put as much tarmac between my rear bumper and the NSX’s front bumper. I end up first lap with a 2:08.693, with the NSX 2.262 seconds behind.

Lap 2: My tyres are already wearing out a little. Perhaps it wasn’t such a clever idea to use softs. I pull a 2:04.670, with the gap between me and the NSX extended to 4.077 seconds.

Lap 3: My front tyres are about a third of the way worn down, with the rears still buzzing around the 85% mark. The Impreza still handles fine, especially with my slightly less aggressive driving. I improve on my last lap time with a 2:04.399, the NSX now 5.735 seconds behind.

Lap 4: I’m starting to feel the effects of the worn tyres, but it’s not putting me off my stride yet. It does hit my lap time a bit though, with the Impreza clocking a 2:05.320. The NSX is now over 7 seconds behind.

Lap 5: The front tyres are really feeling the strain. I’m not sure they’ll last long enough to make a safe pit stop. I improve over my previous lap with a 2:05.092, with the NSX deciding to give up the chase and lose another 2 seconds on me, bringing the current gap to 9.2 seconds.

Lap 6: The front tyres are really hurting my lap times now. I’m going to have to pit at the end of the next lap… A lap time of 2:07.619 tells the story. The NSX closes the gap to just 9 seconds.

Lap 7: It’s very hard to turn corners now, at least at low speed. When the downforce kicks in, it’s still handling better than those Renault GT-R’s. However that means the NSX can overtake me as I pit in. My lap time is a horrid 2:24.738 as I grab a full set of racing hards. I drop down to eigth and the temptation to quit is rising.

Lap 8: I begin my new quest to take out those who stand in my way. Thanks to the pit stop, my lap time is 2:31.095, but I’m now within striking distance of the Eneos SC430.

Lap 9: I overtake both the Eneos SC430 and the Tomica Renault on the first corner. You can’t escape my counterattack. I collide with the Motul Renault at the end of the S curves, denting my front quarter panel. I found it typical of a Renault GT-R driver to try and force me off the road, instead of letting the superior car past. I’m now a good distance away from fourth place, so I calm down a bit and enjoy fifth for a while. I post a 2:04.399, the exact same time I posted on racing softs back on lap 3.

Lap 10: I see it’s the Clarion Renault in fourth place. I start chasing it down. I pass the bridge about 5 car lengths behind. By the time we reach the hairpin, I’m on its arse and my 4WD advantage lets me overtake it as we drag race to the next corner. The Renault held me up a bit, as my lap time was 2:05.051.

Lap 11: So here’s where I’m at now. I’m in fourth place, just passing the pit exit, with third and second at turn one and the ARTA NSX already in the S curves in first place. Looks like I have to put work in. I score a 2:04.945 this lap.

Lap 12: I find the Takata NSX at turn 1. I overtake it and check my position. First? I look on the mini map and to my delight, it appears the ARTA NSX and whatever else was ahead had decided to pit in at the end of lap 11. Success! We’re back in the game boys! Oops I just flew off the track! Oh well. At the end of the lap I post a 2:08.780 and I spy the Takata NSX pulling into the pits. So that confirms the AI being on an 11/12 lap strategy. Awesome.

Lap 13: It seems I’m winning… by miles. I’m in tyre saving mode, so a 2:08.519 isn’t too bad. Especially when my lead is over 29 seconds now.

Lap 14: My front tyres are half-worn and my lap time is 2:08.627.

Lap 15: I’m actually gaining on the back runners. Can has lapping time soon? 2:08.942.

Lap 16: Feeling some understeer from the two-thirds worn front tyres. I’ll pit at the end of lap 17 and call this a 10 lap strategy. 2:12.730.

Lap 17: I pull into the pits at the end of the lap and suspend the race. I will continue later.

A large pizza and several Starcraft 2 commentaries later…

I pick up where I left off and immediately I see my wipers are on with 1% surface water. Luckily I start in the pits at the end of lap 17, so I can grab some intermediate tyres before any of the AI do. My lap time is several hours 2:13.455.

Lap 18: I exit the pits with a fresh set of intermediate tyres, just as the second place car dives in for his own set of intermediates. Also my fog lights are on! Yay! Also I should remind you all that I’m the token 4WD car in this race and it’s now raining. Time to build a monster lead. I end this lap with a lap time of 2:13.455.

Lap 19: My front tyres are wearing faster than they did with racing softs. I’m completely clueless as to why. Is it too dry to use intermediates? I can only hope the road gets wet enough before I need to pit for new tyres. 2:11.715 with the second place car only 13.782 seconds behind. Eeeek.

Lap 20: 2:11.606 with the AI only 12 seconds away now. This is bad.

Lap 21: I spy the second place AI pitting in. Did he actually have racing hards before only now swapping to wets? Perhaps I should’ve done the same. I end the lap with a 2:15.463 with the AI now 18.529 behind.

Lap 22: I lapped someone! They were in the pits, yes, but I lapped them! I can see eleventh place in the distance, but I can’t catch them. I think I’ll pit for another set of intermediates this lap… damn it. I enter the pits and decide to refill my fuel tank as well as grab new tyres. My lap time is 2:17.806.

Lap 23: I drop down to fifth while in the pits. Not this again… However, with my 4WD and fresh tyres, the Clarion Renault GT-R is easily passed under the bridge. Take that, fatty. I end the lap with a time of 3:10.158.

Lap 24: Overtook the Xanavi Z at the hairpin after the bridge. 4WD baby. A change of pace gives me a 2:08.066.

Lap 25: 2:09.376.

Lap 26: We meet again, Takata NSX. I flash my headlights at him and we duel. The duel was fierce, but the fatal blow was struck when we passed the hairpin, the Impreza’s favourite place to overtake inferior 2WD cars. One WRC slide later and we’re in second place. The surface water now hits 50%, but my tyres still have plenty to give. The Takata held us up a bit, increasing our lap time to 2:09.810.

Lap 27: I exit the last hairpin to see the Direzza SC430 and the ARTA NSX a few seconds away. Time to get my lead back and lap a Lexus. We hit the start/finish straight and the Lexus moves over for me. Really nice to see that. A laptime of 2:11.270 ends this lap.

Lap 28: Charge! Unload on the NSX! I catch up to the ARTA NSX on the S curves. The Petronas SC430 and the YellowHat Supra stood in our way. I whip past the NSX and the SC430 and Supra politely move over, before blocking the NSX again. Subaru and Toyota, working together to screw you over. The surface water is now 60% and I’m feeling the front losing grip every lap despite having near-fresh tyres. I decide to look up some recommended times to switch tyres and it appears I should’ve gone from racing hards to intermediates at 11%, then at 65% change to full wets. Guess that’ll be what I’ll do from now on. 2:12.548 this lap.

Lap 29: The surface water hits 65% but I’m feeling no noticeable drop in grip and with a lap time of 2:10.588, I’m going to hold onto these intermediates for a bit longer.

Lap 30: I lap the Denso SC430 at the junction where the East Course would turn right. I score a lap time of 2:11.813 and the ARTA NSX is 26.5 behind me. Booyah!

Lap 31: The surface water is now at 74% and my Kia is getting a great wash. I decide to give in and grab some wet tyres. 2:16.790 this lap.

Lap 32: The Denso SC430 has unlapped itself but I’m immediately on its tail again. The weather is giving the both of us hell, but it’s the SC430 that’s struggling the most. I re-lap it at the final chicane and score a lap time of 2:43.927.

Lap 33: 2:17.375.

Lap 34: 2:17.407.

Lap 35: Lapped someone who was in the pit lane. Slowly but surely I’m putting a whole lap between myself and everyone else. The surface water reaches 90% and I’m considering renaming myself to Roj Pastrana. Sideways Kia, go! The ARTA NSX is now 44.9 seconds behind me while I’m passing the back straight. The weather is my friend. 2:18.588 and the YellowHat Renault GT-R volunteers to be my next victim.

Lap 36: The YellowHat Renault is passed on turn 1, with no effort. The surface water is now at 96% and I’m not sweating a drop. This Kia has made the weather variation of this race so easy. I can’t imagine how many rage quits I would’ve had with a 2WD car. 2:22.564 this lap with the ARTA NSX now trailing behind, 55 seconds away.

Lap 37: The Xanavi Z is lapped on the back straight. A good old fashioned Impreza vs 350Z drag race. Reminds me of my NFS Underground days. Ahh… 2:20.235 with the surface water now at 100%.

Lap 38: The Petronas SC430, YellowHat Supra and Direzza SC430 are all lapped in the S curves, in that order. I hit the backstraight and the Clarion Renault is waiting to kick water in my face. Do you know who I am blad? Obviously you don’t because you’re messing with me. I overtake the Clarion Renault under braking into the final hairpin and drench it in a tidal wave, courtesy of Kia Technica International. 2:23.247.

Lap 39: I’m 1:58 ahead now and my tyres aren’t even halfway worn. 2:21.926.

Lap 40: Denso SC430 lapped on the back straight, the ARTA NSX shortly after. Oh yes folks, we’ve now lapped the entire field. This is our race, we can do whatever the hell we want to do. 2:25.347.

Lap 41: Turns out I was wrong. The ARTA NSX isn’t the second place car, the Takata NSX is. After overtaking the Takata at the last chicane, the gap between us now actually says -1 lap, instead of 2:19 or whatever it was. 2:24.930 this lap.

Lap 42: Tyres how half worn. I’m impressed by how long wets last in the wet, but the wet weather is making the grip loss worse than it is. 2:27.333.

Lap 43: Motul Renault taken down at the final hairpin.2:26.324.

Lap 44: 2:27.254.

Lap 45: Collision with the YellowHat Renault at the first hairpin as the tyres start running out of grip. The Renault tries to make a quick getaway but it meets its demise a few seconds later. Since my tyres are basically shot, I pull into the pits at the end of the lap and suspend the race. I will continue tomorrow.

A nice long sleepy time later…

I pick up where I left off and it’s still pouring down with rain. I grab a fresh set of rain tyres and refill my fuel tank. My lap time is half a day 2:30.119.

Lap 46: A bunch of cars unlap themselves as I’m chilling out in the pit lane. Time to punch them in their faces! First up, the Motul Renault, which gets punched out at the first hairpin. 3:21.733.

Lap 47: I learn that the Takata NSX is only 1:52 behind now. No worries, I’ll just have to lap him again. The YellowHat Renault is passed heading into the back straight. 2:20.768.

Lap 48: 2:20.530.

Lap 49: Lapped the Clarion Renault just before the line. 2:18.517.

Lap 50: Lapped the Petronas SC430 and YellowHat Supra on the sweeping left after the hairpin. Are these two cruising together or something? As usual, they politely moved over to let me pass. I like these two. 2:19.877.

Lap 51: I witness the Takata NSX lap the Direzza SC430 on the S curves. I lap the SC430 shortly after. Don’t worry comrade, the NSX will pay for its crimes. I catch up to the NSX and initiate battle. We duke it out for several seconds before the Takata surrenders and lets me pass. Once again I am a lap ahead of the field. 2:21.991.

Lap 52: I meet the Xanavi Z on the back straight, braking at 160mph. I brake a bit too late and rear end the Z. I fled the scene before he got my registration number. I aint risking my no claims with him. 2:20.615.

Lap 53: Lapped the Denso SC430 at the last chicane. 2:21.006.

Lap 54: 2:22.687.

Lap 55: Lapped the Motul Renault again on approach to the left-hander before the back straight. It’s still raining as hard as it can, which is making me wonder if it’s going to rain all race. 2:25.422.

Lap 56: I meet my old foe, the ARTA NSX under the bridge. He is lapped shortly after. My front tyres are now halfway worn out and I’m starting to slide around more than usual. At least they last longer than softs. 2:22.936.

Lap 57: I’m just under one third of the way to victory now. The total time is 2 hours 9 minutes, which leaves me about 4 hours and 20 minutes away from the end of the race. Lovely. The YellowHat Renault is lapped again. 2:25.467.

Lap 58: 2:24.975.

Lap 59: 2:26.811.

Lap 60: I lap my comrades once more, the Petronas SC430 and the YellowHat Supra. Unfortunately I traded paint with the SC430 as my front tyres wear out some more, but we’ll just blame the accident on the Renault’s and screw them out of their race winnings. 2:30.545.

Lap 61: 2:29.536.

Lap 62: My front tyres are now so worn I can barely steer anymore. I barely make it past the Direzza SC430 and the Clarion Renault has unlapped itself after I went rallying for a bit. Also it appears the Clarion is in first at this point as it no longer says –1 lap when I pass a timing line. I pulled into the pits at the end of the lap and decided to suspend the race for now.

While I’m taking a break, I’d like to thank my sponsors during this epic voyage.

Subaru Kia
Subaru Kia Technica International
Polyphony Digital
RKM Motorsport
Arai
Autobacs
Bosch
Brembo
Castrol
Magneti Marelli
NGK
Pirelli
Takata

A few hours later…

I pick up where I left off and it’s still raining like a mofo. I grab a fresh set of rain tyres and refill my fuel tank. My lap time is an afternoon 2:34.611.

Lap 63: A few cars unlap themselves while I’m in the pits, but that isn’t even a concern anymore. As long as I can stay a lap ahead of second place, I’m happy. I relap the Direzza SC430 in no time at all. 3:09.458 Italia.

Lap 64: 2:17.399.

Lap 65: 2:17.070

Lap 66: Lapped the Takata NSX, Xanavi Z and the Denso SC430 in one big swoop. Make way for the Kia! 2:17.271.

Lap 67: Lapped the Motul Renault. 2:17.443.

Lap 68: It appears the weather has changed its mind! The surface water decreases to 99% just as I start the lap. My priority now is to make these wet tyres last until the 75% mark, where I’ll swap back to intermediates. The YellowHat Renault decides to try and block me from passing it at the last chicane, so I decided to punch him in the knee and damage my headlight as a result. Needless to say, he surrendered his position. 2:21.651.

Lap 69: Giggity! Lapped the ARTA NSX, Petronas SC430 and the YellowHat Supra. 2:22.651.

Lap 70: The Kia has a boo-boo! I kissed the tyre wall at the last chicane, a driver error on my part. 2:25.559.

Lap 71: The surface water is now 91% and the tyres are about a third worn now. Things are looking good, especially as I lap someone who’s currently pitting. 2:21.276.

Lap 72: I am apparently –1 lap ahead again. Seems it was the Renault that was in the pits earlier. Also my fog lights have now turned themselves off, aw. I lap the Direzza SC430 after rear-ending it. Luckily my Kia can take the hit like a man. 2:22.355.

Lap 73: 2:22.587.

Lap 74: My tyres are now half worn and the surface water is now 81%. Looks like my next pit stop will be on time. 2:24.549.

Lap 75: Wet tyres starting to wear a little more quickly as the surface water drops below 75%, perfect time to dive into the pits for some intermediate tyres and a break.

A super sleepy time later…

So then, continuing from last time, I pick up where I left off and as expected the rain is still calming down. I grab a fresh set of intermediate tyres and refill my fuel tank. My lap time is over 9000 2:24.604.

Lap 76: It appears someone unlapped himself. Oh well. 2:56.686.

Lap 77: 2:08.278, I haven’t seen laps like this for a while!

Lap 78: I take the Kia rallying by mistake and I suddenly realise my car is in perfect condition again. Does suspending the race also fix your car? No wonder I’ve had straight panels despite rear ending everyone! 2:10.670.

Lap 79: 2:07.361.

Lap 80: In the distance I see what appears to be the Clarion Renault, on some kind of mission to unlap itself. I’ll have to fix that. I manage to close the gap but I’m still way too far back after an entire lap of chasing. What the…? 2:07.092.

Lap 81: I will break you, Renault. 2:09.936.

Lap 82: Lost some ground after an off-road detour. My tyres aren’t liking the Initial D play. 2:10.816.

Lap 83: I’m within drafting distance on the start/finish straight. The Renault’s fat arse gives my Kia a huge burst of speed, giving me the speed needed to overtake on entry to turn 1. The Renault tries to tuck in on my inside, tapping my right rear wheel arch. The Kia’s grip holds the car steady, shrugging the Renault off like a weak itch. Sit down sir! 2:11.086.

Lap 84: My front tyres are actually starting to feel shot after being worn two-thirds of the way down. 2:12.458 Italia.

Lap 85: The ARTA NSX has caught up and the Clarion Renault never really left. With my tyres this shot, I decide to pit in for a fresh set of intermediates. 2:17.756.

Lap 86: Halfway point reached! To think I’ve driven around 500km so far… 3:18:33 on the clock right now. Damn. Time to catch the ARTA and Clarion then. 2:30.858.

Lap 87: Choochin’ big times. 2:04.855.

Lap 88: The surface water has dried up to 29% at the start of this lap. I’ll probably have to pit for racing hards soon, but we’ll see. 2:04.965.

Lap 89: Looking at how rapidly my tyres are wearing out, perhaps intermediates weren’t the best choice just now… 2:07.158.

Lap 90: 2:07.680.

Lap 91: Track dried to 15% now and my tyres are taking a beating. Time to get back onto the racing hards. Or not. My front tyres decided not to comply with my requests to turn right all the way and my Impreza somehow ended up entering the pit lane sideways. Needless to say I was denied a pit by GT5’s penalty system. Looks like we’ll have to survive another lap… 2:24.103.

Lap 92: Rage. I have no front grip and I’m limping my way around the circuit. The Xanavi Z unlaps itself during my time of distress. What a tosspot. After a mighty handbrake turn I’m finally pitting for tyres. 2:49.388.

Lap 93: My lead has been demolished down to 1:12. Time to unleash the Kia. Forward we march! YellowHat Renault in my way? Overtake in yo face! 2:30.480.

Lap 94: Lapped the Takata NSX and smashed the previous fastest lap with a 2:03.349. Serious Kia is serious.

Lap 95: Lapped someone in the pit lane. Is it the Clarion? Only time will tell. Also went offroad. 2:07.471.

Lap 96: Direzza SC430? Blue flag in yo face! Another new best lap, 2:03.289.

Lap 97: 2:04.503.

Lap 98: 2:05.494.

Lap 99: 2:06.906.

Lap 100: Finally into the triple-digit laps. The end is near, sort of. 2:07.463.

Lap 101: Just realised this race is kind of lonely when it’s not raining and there aren’t any cars to lap. Sad face. 2:06.577.

Lap 102: -1 lap ahead? Did I unknowingly pass the Clarion or ARTA while it was pitting? Success! Not very dramatic, but a success nonetheless. 2:09.733.

Lap 103: Pitting in at the end of this lap, time to finally get some organisation into my pit stops schedule. Also I lap the Eneos SC430 as it exits the pit lane. Hello old friend! I haven’t seen you for a while! At the end of the lap, I pit in for tyres and fuel. 2:15.407.

Lap 104: A few cars unlap themselves while I pit. I fear one of it’s the Clarion or ARTA, or both! Turns out I’m not too far away from second place, as the gap is still 2:28. 3:16.546.

Lap 105: Provided it doesn’t rain, I’ve worked out I can pit for racing hards on lap 114, 125, 136, 147, 158 and then for racing softs on 169 to last until the end of the race. An attempt to beat the 2 minute mark? Awwwwwww yeeeeeeaaaaaaaah. Speaking of record laps, 2:02.257 this lap.

Lap 106: 2:02.351.

Lap 107: 2:05.479.

Lap 108: Sneezed mid-corner, ended up driving in the sand pit. No, I don’t know how either. 2:07.503.

Lap 109: 2:04.795.

Lap 110: Lapped a YellowHat that was in the pit lane. Supra or Renault? I have no idea. 2:06.303.

Lap 111: Lapped what I believe to be the Denso SC430 and the Motul Renault as they pitted. 2:07.424.

Lap 112: Lapped a pitting Petronas SC430. 2:07.851.

Lap 113: 2:07.368.

Lap 114: I pit in at the end of the lap as scheduled and suspend the race for now. I need a break.

An hour or so later…

A’ight, back to work. I get a fresh set of slicks and head back out. My lap time is an hour or so 2:14.904.

Lap 115: The Petronas SC430 tried to pass me as I exit the pit lane, poor guy, he never saw what hit him. 2:27.445.

Lap 116: Apparently second place is 1:37 behind me. A nice improvement. 2:05.630.

Lap 117: 2:05.430.

Lap 118: Lap all the cars! Takata NSX, Motul Renault, Direzza SC430 and the YellowHat Renault! 2:05.056.

Lap 119: 2:03.352.

Lap 120: Lapped the Eneos like a boss. 2:03.841.

Lap 121: Found the Clarion Renault, lapped it, then laughed as it disappeared from my rear view. Then I crashed because I wasn’t looking where I was going. At least I’m finally 1 lap ahead again. The power of Kia. 2:10.423.

Lap 122: 50 laps to go! 2:06.505.

Lap 123: 2:07.964.

Lap 124: Lapped the YellowHat Supra, but my tyres are worn to hell right now. Luckily I’m supposed to pit next lap.

Lap 125: Held it until the pit entrance. Time for tyres and fuel! 2:14.844.

Lap 126: I got unlapped by a few cars while waiting for my fuel tank to fill. 3:05.938.

Lap 127: A new best lap! 2:01.347.

Lap 128: Apparently I’m just 1:20 ahead of the second place car. Ouch. 2:03.793.

Lap 129: 2:02.117.

Lap 130: 1:32 ahead of second place now. So that’s a gain of 4 seconds per lap? Niiiiice. 2:03.298.

Lap 131: Lapped what I believe is the Clarion in the pits, hopefully it is. 2:05.195.

Lap 132: 40 laps to go and –1 lap ahead. Looks like it was the Clarion I lapped. Booyah! Also lapped the YellowHat Supra. 2:04.122.

Lap 133: Met the Eneos SC430 and challenged it to a drag race out of the hairpin. 4WD always wins. 2:06.347.

Lap 134: Lapped the Denso SC430. 2:06.799.

Lap 135: Considering the abuse these tyres have been subjected to, the lap times haven’t been hit as badly as I expected. Am I actually improving my driving? Naaah… 2:07.047.

Lap 136: Pitting in this lap, even though my tyres don’t feel too wrecked. I pit in and grab some racing hards, but no fuel. The Takata NSX is already here. 2:14.497.

Lap 137: I chased the Takata NSX out of the pit lane, all the way to the bridge, where I had to leave him, as my planet needed me. 2:28.474.

Lap 138: Direzza SC430, Motul Renault and the Denso SC430 lapped at the S curves. I also had to punch the Renault in hims face because he deserved it. Also I’m still 1 lap ahead. Just as planned. 2:03.982.

Lap 139: Lapped the ARTA NSX, damn it’s been a while since I did that. 2:02.423.

Lap 140: 2:02.879.

Lap 141: 2:03.512.

Lap 142: 30 laps to go! 2:05.457.

Lap 143: Went wide at the fast sweeping left after the hairpin, messed up my Kia’s left side some more. Nevermind, we will soldier on. 2:08.048.

Lap 144: Xanavi Z in the pits, lapped it. Also lapped the YellowHat Renault. 2:05.357.

Lap 145: Tyres starting to wear out again. Luckily I’m going to pit on lap 147 anyway. 2:08.124.

Lap 146: 2:09.937.

Lap 147: Dived into the pits at the end of the lap for fuel and tyres. This’ll be my last fuel stop, I hope. 2:14.007.

Lap 148: A couple of stooges unlapped themselves while I pitted. Their deaths will be slow and painful, just like them! The Motul Renault didn’t get far, I lapped it at the last chicane. 2:56.995.

Lap 149: 2:03.772.

Lap 150: Still a whole lap ahead, I wonder if I can extend that to 2 laps? 2:03.758.

Lap 151: Lapped something in the pits. 2:05.558.

Lap 152: 20 laps to go! Lapped a YellowHat car in the pits. 2:03.234.

Lap 153: Lapped the Xanavi Z. 2:03.640.

Lap 154: 2:05.710.

Lap 155: Another pit lane dweller lapped. 2:06.932.

Lap 156: 2:07.115.

Lap 157: 2:08.516.

Lap 158: I dived into the pits at the end of the lap and picked up my last set of racing hard tyres, because the next time I pit, I’m fitting softs and giving Suzuka a good spanking before the finish line. 2:13.145.

Lap 159: Some goof unlapped himself while I pitted. Not for long…2:28.861.

Lap 160: Denso SC430 lapped. 2:04.268.

Lap 161: 2:02.467.

Lap 162: 10 laps to go! Direzza SC430 lapped. 2:03.772.

Lap 163: Violently lapped the Petronas SC430. Oh yeah we were comrades. Were! Ditching the YellowHat Supra is treason! 2:06.681.

Lap 164: The Eneos SC430 wiggles itself out of corners from a lack of grip, making lapping it oh so easy. 2:03.598.

Lap 165: Drafted the Takata NSX up the main straight, then overtook it under braking into turn 1. Another one lapped. 2:07.029.

Lap 166: These tyres only need to last 3 more laps and they’re just at half health. The grand finale is near boys! 2:06.641.

Lap 167: 5 laps to go! 2:06.563.

Lap 168: 2:06.757.

Lap 169: As planned, I go into the pits and make my tyre selection… or not. I chose racing soft at the rear, but my over-zealous thumb somehow skipped the front tyre choice and clicked OK. So now I have hard fronts and soft rears. Greeeeeat. 2:14.471.

Lap 170: I exit the pits and the Takata NSX and Motul Renault pass by. The Renault doesn’t get far before I beat the crap out of it for being an ugly piece of lard. I catch the NSX and watch as it drifts around the corners. Obviously the AI is going for an extended run on those tyres. I pass it clean because NSX’s are awesome. 2:29.024.

Lap 171: I’m still a lap ahead and there’s no one immediately ahead of me, so I suppose this’ll be as far as I get with my mission to own everyone. 2:03.106.

Lap 172: Final lap, hooray. And now it’s over. 2:02.321.

The final results look something like this:

Impreza Touring Car - 6:27.53.757
Woodone Advan Clarion Renault GT-R – Too slow
Eneos SC430 – Too slow
ARTA NSX – Too slow
Takata Dome NSX – Too slow
Xanavi Nismo Z – Too slow
Yellow Hat YMS Tomica Renault GT-R – Too slow
Motul Autech Renault GT-R – Too slow
Denso Dunlop Sard SC430 – Too slow
Petronas Tom’s SC430 – Too slow
Bandai Direzza SC430 – Too slow
Yellow Hat YMS Supra – Too slow

My reward for this endurance is pretty poor considering the 6 and a half hours I put into it.

345,000 credits (x 200% to make 690,000)
1,236,370 experience (x 200% to make 2,472,740)

What the cheese.

Oh and the prize car? A Nissan GT-R Concept LM Race Car, which is a standard car. Surely I should be given a gold plated Zonda R for putting up with 6 and a half hours of Suzuka? Not some standard whale of a car. Although this is a problem with the game in general. The regular A-Spec mode gives sub-par prize cars overall.

So yeah, finally that’s over with. I don’t want to see Suzuka ever again after this.

Oh and to demonstrate the point that PD's maths never add up. PD claims the event will last 620.65 miles. My Impreza TC has 634.0 miles on it, so if you remove the 15.9 miles it had before the race, that's 623.1 miles. Where did I do an extra 2.5 miles?! :boggled:

Last edited:
Quite bored of the Kia yet? :lol: And I like the fact that you labeled the R35 with its correct name. :D

Surprisingly, no. :lol: It's a neat handling car and compared to other 4WD cars, it's very good on it's tyres. That said I have tuned it to be kinder to it's tyres so that may also be a factor.

And yes, of course I had to label the Renault GT-R by its correct name. :D

Looks like the Subaru Kia has given you the win :lol:
Now you got me calling it Kia instead of Subaru. :lol:

Oh and to demonstrate the point that PD's maths never add up. PD claims the event will last 620.65 miles. My Impreza TC has 634.0 miles on it, so if you remove the 15.9 miles it had before the race, that's 623.1 miles. Where did I do an extra 2.5 miles?! :boggled:

From the offs, the going-in-and-out-of-pit-stops, and…yea. :lol: PD mustn't have taken these things into account.

Go make a Gold plated Zonda R of your own, you did get my present for finishing the race, right?

From the offs, the going-in-and-out-of-pit-stops, and…yea. :lol: PD mustn't have taken these things into account.

Go make a Gold plated Zonda R of your own, you did get my present for finishing the race, right?
But PD are supposed to give me it pre-built. :lol:
Why do you keep calling it a Kia?

Because it looks like one and it annoys the fanboys. :lol:

Thanks! Any tips? Long-haul driving I mean!

Yeah. Pace yourself and do some testing beforehand so you know how long your tyres last and what sort of lap times to expect.

Yeah. Pace yourself and do some testing beforehand so you know how long your tyres last and what sort of lap times to expect.

Or be crazy like me and go with a car you have never driven before! :dopey:

No :lol: but sounds like a good plan! Suzuka here I come! are you planning on doing the Nurburgring 4 Hour? There is a whole thread dedicated to it Famine, looks pretty sweet :)

No :lol: but sounds like a good plan! Suzuka here I come! are you planning on doing the Nurburgring 4 Hour? There is a whole thread dedicated to it Famine, looks pretty sweet :)

Yes, but not anytime soon. :lol:

Nice race it seemed! I'm too busy for these A Spec endurances so I just pop an X1 into B Spec overnight. This weekend is the weekend though, we're going to hook ourselves up with some food and bev. and hit the wheels. Endurance races in equal cars.Not messin with the X1 :)

Im dreading doing the 24 hour A spec endurance races. I got the last 24HR race left on B Spec, ill do that sometime this week if i can give up playing GT5 for 1 day haha.

Nice review of the race mate.

Good work with the race report :) Sounded fun. I laughed at the Kia reference too, when I got it - it does look like a Kia doesn't it? It's not an attractive car at all, the new Impreza.

Just a question for you, drawing on your experience from this race. I'm planning on hitting this race up in the Lexus ISF Racing Concept, and having just done some basic testing I'm running 2:10s laptimes on racing hard tyres. Seeing as you averaged, by the looks of it, between 2:02 and 2:07 and were able to come over comfortably over a lap ahead of the opposition, I'm thinking that running 2:10s might well mean that it'll finish up to be perhaps a close race, or at least closer than your run was? :)

Good work with the race report :) Sounded fun. I laughed at the Kia reference too, when I got it - it does look like a Kia doesn't it? It's not an attractive car at all, the new Impreza.
Yeah, it just looks like a Kia with a factory fitted Impreza bodykit. :lol:
Just a question for you, drawing on your experience from this race. I'm planning on hitting this race up in the Lexus ISF Racing Concept, and having just done some basic testing I'm running 2:10s laptimes on racing hard tyres. Seeing as you averaged, by the looks of it, between 2:02 and 2:07 and were able to come over comfortably over a lap ahead of the opposition, I'm thinking that running 2:10s might well mean that it'll finish up to be perhaps a close race, or at least closer than your run was? :)

If you run 2:10's, it'll be very close. Thing is, I built up a huge lead because of the rain, which the Impreza happily drove in. Maybe the IS wont be so happy. I'm guessing the IS would last longer on tyres though, so it balances out to be a close race overall! :)

If you run 2:10's, it'll be very close. Thing is, I built up a huge lead because of the rain, which the Impreza happily drove in. Maybe the IS wont be so happy. I'm guessing the IS would last longer on tyres though, so it balances out to be a close race overall! :)

Yeah, my ISF can handle the rain to a point, but it's very tricky. I built up a 21s lead over the NSX in 8 laps, but no more after that, and by lap 13 I was sat ragequitting in the gravel on the outside of the final turn :grumpy: haha! It was averaging 2:29s-2:32s laptimes in 100% rain up until that point. What were your laptimes in the wet?

I might go back and give it another crack in the dry...I gave it one go in the dry, and I was running 2:06 laptimes average, but the NSX was slowly pulling away at the front, and my tyres were over half worn by lap 6. This was on medium tyres. I think I couldve gone to about lap 10 before pitting, but the NSX would've been well up the track by then. But perhaps it balances out overall across the race. We'll see. Thanks for the advice :)

Yeah, my ISF can handle the rain to a point, but it's very tricky. I built up a 21s lead over the NSX in 8 laps, but no more after that, and by lap 13 I was sat ragequitting in the gravel on the outside of the final turn :grumpy: haha! It was averaging 2:29s-2:32s laptimes in 100% rain up until that point. What were your laptimes in the wet?

I might go back and give it another crack in the dry...I gave it one go in the dry, and I was running 2:06 laptimes average, but the NSX was slowly pulling away at the front, and my tyres were over half worn by lap 6. This was on medium tyres. I think I couldve gone to about lap 10 before pitting, but the NSX would've been well up the track by then. But perhaps it balances out overall across the race. We'll see. Thanks for the advice :)

2:19-2:22 in the wet, getting slower and slower as the tyres degrade until 2:27 I think. So yeah, 4WD is definitely the best choice in the wet. :lol:

Latest Posts

Back